Southampton 2 - 0 Newcastle
Southampton climbed out of the Premier League relegation zone as they convincingly beat Newcastle.
The livewire Gaston Ramirez squared the ball across for Adam Lallana to slot in the home side's opener.
Newcastle's Vurnon Anita missed a gilt-edged chance before Ramirez pounced for a Saints second after keeper Tim Krul parried a Jason Puncheon cross.
Puncheon and team-mate Jose Fonte were denied by the woodwork as the home side ran out comfortable victors.
Saints substitute Jay Rodriguez also had an effort dubiously ruled out for offside in the closing stages of a match in which the two-goal scoreline flattered a Newcastle side who did not come close to matching the attacking verve and defensive durability of their hosts.
The home side earned back-to-back top flight wins for the first time this season as evidence mounted that they are acclimatising to the rigours of the Premier League following a tough start to the season.
In contrast, the manner of a third successive league defeat for the Magpies will worry manager Alan Pardew, who endured an unhappy return to his former club.
Pardew managed Southampton for 13 months before being sacked by the then League One club in August 2010 and, although he felt that decision was "harsh", there was nothing undeserved about his side's latest loss.
"This could have been a lot worse for Newcastle. Southampton were full value for their win, while Newcastle have lost three consecutive Premier League game for the first time since September 2008. This was Southampton's day."
Playmaker Ramirez was the inspiration for the home side's win along with captain Lallana and forward Rickie Lambert, who was signed by Pardew for Southampton.
The tone of the game was set early on when an overworked Newcastle keeper Tim Krul palmed away a 25-yard Ramirez free-kick and also had to block a strike from Puncheon.
A sweetly-struck long range Lambert free-kick cannoned off the corner of the goalframe before the home side's pressure finally told.
A Krul clearance only found home defender Nathaniel Clyne, whose long range effort to catch the keeper off his line was only partially headed away by Magpies centre-back Mike Williamson.
The menacing Ramirez latched on to the loose ball and crossed low for Lallana to tap in.
Newcastle briefly improved after the break and Anita should have done better than shoot too close to keeper Paulo Gazzaniga when clean through.
The miss was soon punished as Southampton extended their lead in lovely style. Lallana's backheel released Puncheon and his cross was only parried by Krul, which allowed Ramirez to force in a close range shot.
The home side were constantly scything through Newcastle in impressive style and went close to extending their lead on several occasions.
A Puncheon shot and Fonte header both hit the Newcastle woodwork while, thanks to a smart Gazzaniga save from Davide Santon's powerful header, Southampton also kept their first clean sheet of the league season to go with the three points.
Southampton manager Nigel Adkins:
"It was a good win. We created a lot of opportunities and their goalkeeper also made a lot of saves.
"It was a thoroughly deserved win and we kept a clean sheet as well. There is a growing maturity about the players. There is a momentum with us and we are playing some really good football consistently through a game.
"The standard of play, as individuals and as a team, is improving all the time."
Live text and stats
Sunday, 25 November 2012
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 12 Gazzaniga
- 02 Clyne
- 03 Yoshida
- 06 Fonte yellow card
- 23 Shaw (Hooiveld 90+1)
- 04 Schneiderlin
- 10 Ramirez yellow card (S Davis 78)
- 18 Cork
- 20 Lallana
- 42 Puncheon
- 07 Lambert (Rodriguez 76)
- 01 Krul
- 03 Santon
- 05 Simpson
- 06 Williamson yellow card
- 27 S Taylor (Perch 90+1)
- 31 Ferguson (Sa Ameobi 46)
- 08 Anita (Marveaux 66)
- 18 Gutierrez
- 24 Tiote yellow card
- 09 Cisse
- 19 Ba
- Southampton 50%
- Newcastle 50%
Attempts on target
- Southampton 10
- Newcastle 3
Attempts off target
- Southampton 7
- Newcastle 5
- Southampton 4
- Newcastle 3
- Southampton 12
- Newcastle 14
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+4:35 The referee ends the match.
- 90:00+3:54 Papiss Cisse challenges Maya Yoshida unfairly and gives away a free kick. Paulo Gazzaniga takes the direct free kick.
- 90:00+0:50 Substitution Jos Hooiveld is brought on as a substitute for Luke Shaw.
- 90:00+0:50 Substitution (Newcastle) makes a substitution, with James Perch coming on for Steven Taylor.
- 89:38 Papiss Cisse has a shot on goal from outside the box which misses left.
- 89:11 Morgan Schneiderlin concedes a free kick for a foul on Cheick Tiote. Cheick Tiote takes the free kick.
- 88:43 The offside flag is raised against Jay Rodriguez. Tim Krul takes the free kick.
- 87:20 Cheick Tiote takes a shot from long range which goes wide left of the goal.
- 85:28 Adam Lallana takes the direct free kick.
- 85:28 Booking Booking for Cheick Tiote for unsporting behaviour.
- 85:20 Free kick awarded for a foul by Cheick Tiote on Jay Rodriguez.
- 85:02 Adam Lallana takes a shot. Save by Tim Krul.
- 83:35 Demba Ba concedes a free kick for a foul on Jack Cork. Paulo Gazzaniga takes the free kick.
- 82:30 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Jack Cork by Papiss Cisse. Jose Fonte takes the direct free kick.
- 80:00 Inswinging corner taken from the right by-line by Jason Puncheon, Jose Fonte takes a shot. Free kick awarded for a foul by Jack Cork on Demba Ba. Free kick taken by Tim Krul.
- 79:40 Steven Davis takes a shot. Save by Tim Krul.
- 78:06 Sammy Ameobi concedes a free kick for a foul on Luke Shaw. Free kick taken by Adam Lallana.
- 77:05 Substitution Steven Davis replaces Gaston Ramirez.
- 75:17 Substitution Jay Rodriguez comes on in place of Rickie Lambert.
- 74:30 Jason Puncheon concedes a free kick for a foul on Davide Santon. The free kick is delivered left-footed by Sylvain Marveaux from left wing, clearance made by Adam Lallana.
- 72:17 Demba Ba takes a shot. Jose Fonte gets a block in. Davide Santon produces a header from close range which goes wide of the left-hand post.
- 70:11 Booking Gaston Ramirez receives a caution for dissent.
- 69:51 Shot by Jason Puncheon from inside the penalty box bounces off the post.
- 68:52 Jason Puncheon concedes a free kick for a foul on Davide Santon. Tim Krul takes the direct free kick.
- 67:52 Papiss Cisse is ruled offside. Paulo Gazzaniga takes the indirect free kick.
- 67:03 Shot from deep inside the area by Cheick Tiote clears the crossbar.
- 65:37 Substitution Sylvain Marveaux comes on in place of Vurnon Anita.
- 63:42 Outswinging corner taken right-footed by Vurnon Anita from the right by-line, Maya Yoshida makes a clearance.
- 59:14 Assist by Jason Puncheon.
- 59:14 GOAL - Gaston Ramirez:Southampton 2 - 0 Newcastle Gaston Ramirez fires in a goal from close in to the bottom left corner of the goal. Southampton 2-0 Newcastle.
- 56:51 Vurnon Anita fouled by Morgan Schneiderlin, the ref awards a free kick. Jonas Gutierrez takes the direct free kick.
- 56:07 Adam Lallana takes a shot. Save by Tim Krul.
- 54:00 Vurnon Anita takes a shot. Save by Paulo Gazzaniga.
- 52:17 Corner taken by Vurnon Anita from the right by-line, Demba Ba takes a shot. Save by Paulo Gazzaniga.
- 50:54 Free kick awarded for a foul by Steven Taylor on Gaston Ramirez. Direct free kick taken by Jose Fonte.
- 47:53 Free kick awarded for a foul by Cheick Tiote on Morgan Schneiderlin. Maya Yoshida restarts play with the free kick.
- 45:11 Demba Ba is adjudged to have handled the ball. Paulo Gazzaniga takes the direct free kick.
- 45:01 The second half begins.
- 45:01 Substitution Sammy Ameobi comes on in place of Shane Ferguson.
- Half Time
- 45:00+1:08 The ref blows to signal half-time.
- 44:34 Headed effort from deep inside the penalty area by Gaston Ramirez goes harmlessly over the crossbar.
- 43:38 Free kick awarded for a foul by Cheick Tiote on Jason Puncheon. Maya Yoshida takes the direct free kick.
- 42:22 Strike comes in from Rickie Lambert from the free kick.
- 42:22 Booking Mike Williamson is given a yellow card.
- 42:15 Foul by Mike Williamson on Rickie Lambert, free kick awarded.
- 37:20 Corner taken by Adam Lallana from the left by-line to the near post.
- 37:02 Morgan Schneiderlin takes a shot. Blocked by Steven Taylor.
- 36:13 Unfair challenge on Steven Taylor by Gaston Ramirez results in a free kick. Free kick taken by Tim Krul.
- 34:02 Nathaniel Clyne takes a shot.
- 33:58 Assist by Gaston Ramirez.
- 33:58 GOAL - Adam Lallana:Southampton 1 - 0 Newcastle Adam Lallana scores a goal from inside the penalty box to the bottom left corner of the goal. Southampton 1-0 Newcastle.
- 31:51 Cheick Tiote concedes a free kick for a foul on Gaston Ramirez. Strike on goal comes in from Rickie Lambert from the free kick,
- 31:24 Jason Puncheon takes a shot. Save made by Tim Krul.
- 30:54 Free kick awarded for a foul by Morgan Schneiderlin on Cheick Tiote. Direct free kick taken by Tim Krul.
- 30:07 Demba Ba is flagged offside by the assistant referee. Free kick taken by Paulo Gazzaniga.
- 27:26 Inswinging corner taken right-footed by Adam Lallana from the left by-line, clearance made by Demba Ba.
- 25:51 Unfair challenge on Demba Ba by Jose Fonte results in a free kick. Free kick taken by Cheick Tiote.
- 23:15 Shane Ferguson concedes a free kick for a foul on Adam Lallana. Gaston Ramirez shoots direct from the free kick, save made by Tim Krul.
- 21:57 Shane Ferguson delivers the ball from the free kick left-footed from left wing, clearance by Luke Shaw.
- 21:57 Booking The referee cautions Jose Fonte for unsporting behaviour.
- 21:50 Foul by Jose Fonte on Papiss Cisse, free kick awarded.
- 20:42 Outswinging corner taken left-footed by Shane Ferguson from the left by-line, save by Paulo Gazzaniga.
- 19:54 Rickie Lambert is caught offside. Danny Simpson takes the indirect free kick.
- 19:10 Free kick awarded for a foul by Gaston Ramirez on Cheick Tiote. Free kick taken by Tim Krul.
- 16:34 Papiss Cisse concedes a free kick for a foul on Luke Shaw. Direct free kick taken by Maya Yoshida.
- 15:44 Rickie Lambert concedes a free kick for a foul on Steven Taylor. Tim Krul takes the direct free kick.
- 14:42 The referee blows for offside against Papiss Cisse. Jose Fonte restarts play with the free kick.
- 13:56 Papiss Cisse concedes a free kick for a foul on Jack Cork. Direct free kick taken by Luke Shaw.
- 13:05 Papiss Cisse concedes a free kick for a foul on Nathaniel Clyne. Direct free kick taken by Jose Fonte.
- 11:46 Jason Puncheon takes a shot. Save by Paulo Gazzaniga.
- 10:40 A cross is delivered by Jack Cork, Tim Krul makes a save.
- 9:03 Gaston Ramirez takes a shot. Mike Williamson gets a block in.
- 6:32 Nathaniel Clyne takes a shot.
- 5:36 The assistant referee flags for offside against Papiss Cisse. Maya Yoshida restarts play with the free kick.
- 4:59 The ball is crossed by Shane Ferguson, Headed effort from inside the penalty area by Demba Ba misses to the right of the target.
- 3:29 Gaston Ramirez gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Mike Williamson. Tim Krul takes the free kick.
- 3:02 The ball is swung over by Jonas Gutierrez, save by Paulo Gazzaniga.
- 0:30 Corner taken by Adam Lallana, clearance made by Cheick Tiote.
- 0:00 The game begins.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.