Tottenham 3 - 1 West Ham
Jermain Defoe scored twice against his former club as Tottenham beat West Ham to end a run of three league defeats.
Gareth Bale hit the bar before Defoe opened the scoring with a superb run from the right and crunching finish.
After rattling the bar himself, Clint Dempsey found Bale in the box and he beat Jussi Jaaskelainen via a post.
Aaron Lennon broke free and squared for Defoe to seal the points, although Andy Carroll's header ended the Liverpool loanee's 15-game wait for a goal.
Unfortunately for Carroll and West Ham, who came close to further reducing the deficit late on, the effort was a mere consolation.
White Hart pain
Tottenham are now unbeaten in their last 11 Premier League games against West Ham at White Hart Lane, a run stretching back to 1999
It means Tottenham climb above the Hammers into seventh, with Sam Allardyce's men facing a tough run of fixtures in December.
Spurs will be delighted to end a run of four straight domestic defeats and collect only their third win in 10 matches in all competitions.
Despite the poor results of late, Tottenham manager Andre Villas-Boas would have expected a return to form against a club who have not left White Hart Lane with maximum points since 1999.
Indeed, they began with the belief that victory was compulsory - dominating possession and getting forward in numbers.
Defoe had two early sighters before Bale spun Mark Noble and crashed a 20-yard drive against the woodwork.
But West Ham had conceded the third-fewest goals in the Premier League this season and, for a time, it was easy to see why.
Typically well-drilled by Allardyce, their defence, midfield and attack work in unison to grant opponents minimal time and space.
But an approach focusing so heavily on containment leaves little scope to attack and a team that has scored just five away goals this season did not once trouble Hugo Lloris in the first half.
West Ham's upcoming fixtures
- 28 Nov - Man Utd (a)
- 1 Dec - Chelsea (h)
- 9 Dec - Liverpool (h)
- 16 Dec - West Brom (a)
- 22 Dec - Everton (h)
- 26 Dec - Arsenal (a)
- 29 Dec - Reading (a)
While it was a fairly dour 45 minutes, if anyone deserved the opener it was Tottenham - and their reward arrived just before the break.
Defoe outmuscled Winston Reid and George McCartney on the right touchline before making his way inside, sidestepping Noble and sending a venomous finish past Jaaskelainen.
It was a moment of class the match badly needed and meant West Ham had to adopt a more positive approach in the second half.
They obliged when Kevin Nolan broke clear on right and sent in a low cross towards substitute Matt Jarvis, only for Lloris to gather well.
The problem with West Ham's greater ambition was that it left them exposed at the back, and Spurs took full advantage.
Dempsey - replacing the suspended Emmanuel Adebayor in support of Defoe - became increasingly influential and was unfortunate to see a strike come back off the bar.
Within a minute he was involved again, scooping a pass through for Bale who kept his balance and beat Jaaskelainen via a post.
Tottenham were now in total control and extended their lead when midfield pressure from Tom Huddlestone and Sandro allowed Dempsey to release Lennon, who squared for Defoe to tap home into an unguarded net.
Carroll managed to nod in Joey O'Brien's cross and West Ham pushed hard for a second, but Tottenham held on to their advantage and will be buoyed heading into Wednesday's visit of Liverpool.
Tottenham manager Andre Villas-Boas:
"It was a good 90-minute performance, very solid, and we kept creating. It's difficult to defend long balls and crosses into box, but the boys did extremely well to handle the situation.
"We played two away games at top teams [Manchester City and Arsenal] and played well but didn't get the results we wanted. Getting back to winning ways was extremely important.
"Defoe is a great player in a great moment of form. His desire and hunger are immense. He works hard and lives off scoring. He's having a great season."
West Ham manager Sam Allardyce:
"It looked like we didn't recover from the first goal, which is disappointing because we still had a very good chance if we came out and played like we can. We were relying a lot on good defensive work and that let us down in the end.
"We launched a spirited comeback but it was far too late. It's a bad day for me watching the lads play like they did. None of the players played their best and ended up being beaten comfortably.
"Our goal provides a platform to the players to show where to put the ball. If they put it in the rights areas Andy Carroll will score and he showed that with his header. Hopefully he can get on a bit of a run."
Live text and stats
Sunday, 25 November 2012
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 25 Lloris
- 05 Vertonghen
- 20 Dawson
- 28 Walker
- 33 Caulker
- 02 Dempsey
- 06 Huddlestone
- 07 Lennon (Dembele 79)
- 11 Bale
- 30 Sandro (Livermore 86)
- 18 Defoe yellow card (Sigurdsson 90+4)
- 22 Jaaskelainen
- 02 Reid
- 03 McCartney
- 05 Tomkins
- 17 O'Brien yellow card
- 04 Nolan (Cole 68)
- 16 Noble yellow card
- 21 Diame
- 32 O'Neil (Taylor 55)
- 08 Carroll
- 11 Maiga (Jarvis 31)
- Tottenham 65%
- West Ham 35%
Attempts on target
- Tottenham 13
- West Ham 6
Attempts off target
- Tottenham 12
- West Ham 4
- Tottenham 4
- West Ham 2
- Tottenham 9
- West Ham 10
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+5:27 The final whistle goes and the game is over.
- 90:00+5:06 Unfair challenge on Mark Noble by Clint Dempsey results in a free kick. Jussi Jaaskelainen restarts play with the free kick.
- 90:00+3:46 Substitution Gylfi Sigurdsson joins the action as a substitute, replacing Jermain Defoe.
- 90:00+3:10 Effort on goal by Gareth Bale from 20 yards. James Tomkins gets a block in.
- 90:00+1:31 Inswinging corner taken by Matthew Taylor, Winston Reid takes a shot. Hugo Lloris makes a save.
- 90:00+1:04 Jermain Defoe challenges Joey O'Brien unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick taken by Matthew Taylor.
- 90:00+0:08 Shot by Jan Vertonghen. Andy Carroll gets a block in.
- 89:10 Jan Vertonghen fouled by Mark Noble, the ref awards a free kick. Gareth Bale restarts play with the free kick.
- 88:40 Outswinging corner taken left-footed by Gareth Bale from the left by-line.
- 88:23 Effort from 25 yards by Gareth Bale. Save by Jussi Jaaskelainen.
- 88:11 Shot by Jermain Defoe. Save by Jussi Jaaskelainen.
- 87:11 Carlton Cole produces a cross, Hugo Lloris makes a comfortable save.
- 85:38 Substitution Jake Livermore replaces Raniere Sandro.
- Correction - 81:34 The assist for the goal came from Joey O'Brien.
- 81:34 Assist on the goal came from Matthew Taylor.
- 81:34 GOAL - Andy Carroll:Tottenham 3 - 1 West Ham Andy Carroll scores a headed goal from inside the box. Tottenham 3-1 West Ham.
- 81:28 Matthew Taylor produces a cross, Steven Caulker manages to make a clearance.
- 79:52 Effort on goal by Kyle Walker from deep inside the penalty area misses to the right of the target.
- 78:13 Hugo Lloris takes the direct free kick.
- 78:13 Substitution Mousa Dembele is brought on as a substitute for Aaron Lennon.
- 78:13 Mohamed Diame is ruled offside.
- 75:12 Effort from the edge of the penalty area by Clint Dempsey goes wide of the left-hand post.
- 71:55 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on James Tomkins by Clint Dempsey. James Tomkins crosses the ball from the free kick right-footed from own half, save made by Hugo Lloris.
- 69:47 Andy Carroll gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Steven Caulker. Hugo Lloris takes the free kick.
- 67:32 Substitution Carlton Cole is brought on as a substitute for Kevin Nolan.
- 66:36 The ball is crossed by Kyle Walker, save by Jussi Jaaskelainen.
- 64:54 Matthew Jarvis sends in a cross, Effort from the edge of the box by Matthew Taylor goes wide of the left-hand post.
- 63:29 Aaron Lennon provided the assist for the goal.
- 63:29 GOAL - Jermain Defoe:Tottenham 3 - 0 West Ham Jermain Defoe gets on the score sheet with a goal from inside the penalty area to the bottom right corner of the goal. Tottenham 3-0 West Ham.
- 60:25 Jermain Defoe gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on James Tomkins. The free kick is swung in right-footed by Mark Noble, brilliant save by Hugo Lloris.
- 59:05 George McCartney delivers the ball.
- 57:28 The assist for the goal came from Clint Dempsey.
- 57:28 GOAL - Gareth Bale:Tottenham 2 - 0 West Ham Gareth Bale grabs a goal from deep inside the penalty box to the bottom left corner of the goal. Tottenham 2-0 West Ham.
- 56:55 Clint Dempsey takes a shot.
- 55:57 Kevin Nolan delivers the ball, save by Hugo Lloris.
- 54:02 Substitution (West Ham) makes a substitution, with Matthew Taylor coming on for Gary O'Neil.
- 53:18 Unfair challenge on Mohamed Diame by Clint Dempsey results in a free kick. The free kick is delivered right-footed by Winston Reid from own half.
- 52:47 Gareth Bale produces a drilled left-footed shot from 20 yards. Save made by Jussi Jaaskelainen.
- 52:11 Gareth Bale crosses the ball, clearance made by George McCartney.
- 50:25 Raniere Sandro produces a cross.
- 49:50 Shot from 12 yards from Jermain Defoe. James Tomkins gets a block in. Gareth Bale takes a short corner.
- 49:26 The ball is delivered by James Tomkins, Raniere Sandro makes a clearance.
- 48:22 Andy Carroll produces a left-footed shot from just outside the penalty box that misses to the left of the goal.
- 47:52 Shot by Matthew Jarvis from 12 yards. Save by Hugo Lloris.
- 46:50 Aaron Lennon takes a shot. Blocked by George McCartney. Inswinging corner taken by Gareth Bale, clearance by James Tomkins.
- 45:19 Mark Noble challenges Clint Dempsey unfairly and gives away a free kick. Direct strike on goal from the free kick comes in from Gareth Bale.
- 45:01 The referee gets the second half underway.
- Half Time
- 45:00+2:42 The players leave the pitch at half time.
- 45:00+0:24 Mohamed Diame has an effort at goal from outside the penalty box missing to the wide right of the target.
- 43:55 The assist for the goal came from Michael Dawson.
- 43:55 GOAL - Jermain Defoe:Tottenham 1 - 0 West Ham Goal scored by Jermain Defoe from the edge of the penalty box to the bottom right corner of the goal. Tottenham 1-0 West Ham.
- 43:31 The ball is sent over by Matthew Jarvis, comfortable save by Hugo Lloris.
- 42:46 Aaron Lennon has shot on goal from just outside the penalty box which goes wide of the right-hand upright.
- 42:33 Gary O'Neil delivers the ball, clearance by Steven Caulker.
- 41:35 Effort from outside the penalty box by Tom Huddlestone goes wide right of the goal.
- 39:44 Clint Dempsey concedes a free kick for a foul on James Tomkins. Direct free kick taken by Jussi Jaaskelainen.
- 39:35 The ball is swung over by Gareth Bale, clearance by Joey O'Brien.
- 38:27 George McCartney concedes a free kick for a foul on Aaron Lennon. Tom Huddlestone crosses the ball in from the free kick, clearance made by Andy Carroll.
- 38:07 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Kyle Walker by Andy Carroll. Kyle Walker takes the direct free kick.
- 35:22 The ball is swung over by Matthew Jarvis, save made by Hugo Lloris.
- 34:41 Gareth Bale produces a left-footed shot from outside the penalty box and misses left.
- 34:11 George McCartney produces a cross, James Tomkins takes a shot. Comfortable save by Hugo Lloris.
- 33:35 Corner taken by Mark Noble from the left by-line to the near post, Gareth Bale manages to make a clearance.
- 32:52 Winston Reid takes the direct free kick.
- 32:52 Booking Jermain Defoe shown a yellow card.
- 32:46 Free kick awarded for a foul by Jermain Defoe on Winston Reid.
- 32:19 The referee blows for offside against Jermain Defoe. Indirect free kick taken by James Tomkins.
- 31:22 Mark Noble produces a cross, Raniere Sandro makes a clearance.
- 30:24 Substitution Matthew Jarvis joins the action as a substitute, replacing Modibo Maiga.
- 29:10 Kyle Walker concedes a free kick for a foul on Andy Carroll. Direct free kick taken by Jussi Jaaskelainen.
- 28:57 A cross is delivered by Jan Vertonghen.
- 28:23 Tom Huddlestone takes the direct free kick.
- 28:23 Booking Mark Noble is given a yellow card.
- 28:15 Foul by Mark Noble on Aaron Lennon, free kick awarded.
- 27:58 Mohamed Diame has a drilled shot. Blocked by Steven Caulker.
- 27:48 Centre by Modibo Maiga, clearance by Steven Caulker.
- 25:26 Gareth Bale produces a cross, clearance made by Winston Reid.
- 23:09 Free kick awarded for a foul by Mohamed Diame on Raniere Sandro. Free kick crossed right-footed by Tom Huddlestone from right channel.
- 20:53 Corner from right by-line taken by Gareth Bale.
- 19:20 Mohamed Diame challenges Raniere Sandro unfairly and gives away a free kick. The free kick is delivered right-footed by Tom Huddlestone from left channel, Modibo Maiga manages to make a clearance.
- 18:14 Headed effort from inside the area by Andy Carroll misses to the left of the goal.
- 17:31 Unfair challenge on Andy Carroll by Raniere Sandro results in a free kick. Winston Reid restarts play with the free kick.
- 15:01 Shot from just outside the box by Clint Dempsey goes over the crossbar.
- 14:24 A cross is delivered by Mark Noble, Kyle Walker makes a clearance.
- 13:46 Shot from long range by Tom Huddlestone goes wide of the left-hand upright.
- 13:26 Centre by Gareth Bale, Joey O'Brien gets a block in.
- 11:39 Clint Dempsey has an effort at goal from 20 yards. Save made by Jussi Jaaskelainen.
- 10:48 Shot from 25 yards from Gareth Bale. Clint Dempsey takes a shot. Jussi Jaaskelainen makes a save.
- 7:48 Kevin Nolan produces a drilled right-footed shot from 25 yards. Save by Hugo Lloris.
- 7:26 Tom Huddlestone produces a left-footed shot from outside the penalty box and misses right.
- 6:37 Gareth Bale crosses the ball in from the free kick, clearance by Andy Carroll.
- 6:37 Booking Joey O'Brien receives a caution.
- 6:20 Joey O'Brien gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Gareth Bale.
- 5:52 Gareth Bale crosses the ball, Winston Reid manages to make a clearance.
- 5:15 Jermain Defoe takes a shot. Save by Jussi Jaaskelainen.
- 4:44 The ball is swung over by Jan Vertonghen, clearance made by Winston Reid.
- 4:05 Gary O'Neil is ruled offside. Free kick taken by Hugo Lloris.
- 2:56 Shot from just outside the box by Jermain Defoe misses to the right of the goal.
- 1:20 Raniere Sandro fouled by Mohamed Diame, the ref awards a free kick. Free kick taken by Michael Dawson.
- 0:00 The ref blows the whistle to start the match.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.