Barnsley 1 - 1 Burnley
Barnsley's run without a win extended to eight games as they were held to a draw at home to Burnley.
Another goal for the prolific Charlie Austin gave Burnley a fifth-minute lead.
Marcus Tudgay equalised in the 37th minute with his first goal since his loan move from Nottingham Forest.
Danny Ings struck the woodwork for Burnley in the second half but despite an improved display the home side could not carve out a much-needed win.
Marvyn Bartley had already gone close when Austin headed home from a corner for his 21st goal of the season.
Barnsley's draw was their first point at home in four attempts.
Burnley dominated the early stages after the goal, but against the run of play the home side equalised through a headed goal of their own.
Tudgay connected with Scott Golbourne's cross to give the Oakwell fans something to cheer eight minutes before half-time.
However Burnley looked the better side after the re-start, with a free-kick from Ross Wallace forcing Barnsley goalkeeper Luke Steele into a fine save.
Steele could do nothing about Ings' shot shortly afterwards but was grateful to see the ball rebound off the right-hand post.
That roused the home side into action, with Craig Davies shooting wide and Akos Buzsaky drawing a save out of Lee Grant.
But the game petered out, leaving Keith Hill's side two points above the relegation zone and Burnley anchored firmly in the middle of the table.
Barnsley manager Keith Hill : "It was an uphill challenge after their goal, but the way the lads responded was absolutely superb.
"They showed a lot of bravery and I am pleased with the way we played.
"Performance-wise I am very happy and it is progress, definitely. I will wake up and look at the stats and if I can take away the scoreline, it will reflect very similar to the top teams in the league.
"The only thing is missing is the scoreline, we are that close, but are a million miles away."
Burnley manager Sean Dyche : "I am pleased with the outcome more than the performance. I wasn't pleased with the performance, particularly the first half.
"But we demand a lot from the players and we have to be realistic and know we might have a soft performance every now and then.
"So within that, the major positive was that we came out of it with a point. But the performance, especially in the first half, was not something that I was enjoying."
Live text and stats
Tuesday, 27 November 2012
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 01 Steele
- 03 Golbourne
- 06 Foster
- 15 McNulty
- 25 Cranie
- 21 Mellis (O'Brien 81)
- 28 Greening
- 36 Buzsaky
- 09 Davies (Sinclair 79)
- 24 Noble-Lazarus
- 29 Tudgay
- 12 Alnwick,
- 14 Wiseman,
- 34 Stones,
- 07 Dawson,
- 08 O'Brien,
- 19 Cywka,
- 27 Sinclair
- 01 Grant
- 02 Trippier
- 04 Duff yellow card
- 05 Shackell
- 36 Mee
- 06 McCann
- 07 Wallace (Vokes 83)
- 20 Bartley (Ings 46)
- 22 Stock (Edgar 81)
- 10 Paterson
- 23 Austin
- 12 Jensen,
- 03 Lafferty,
- 15 Edgar,
- 11 Stanislas,
- 19 Stewart,
- 09 Vokes,
- 14 Ings
- Barnsley 52%
- Burnley 48%
Attempts on target
- Barnsley 4
- Burnley 4
Attempts off target
- Barnsley 3
- Burnley 3
- Barnsley 6
- Burnley 3
- Barnsley 8
- Burnley 14
- Final Result
- 93:39 The referee signals the end of the game.
- Full Time
- 90:00+2:15 Direct effort from the free kick comes in from Akos Buzsaky, Lee Grant makes a comfortable save.
- 90:00+2:15 Booking The referee shows Michael Duff a yellow card for unsporting behaviour.
- 90:00+2:09 Free kick awarded for a foul by Michael Duff on Emile Sinclair.
- 89:53 Unfair challenge on Jimmy McNulty by Sam Vokes results in a free kick. Free kick taken by Luke Steele.
- 88:59 Corner taken by Martin Paterson from the right by-line, free kick awarded for a foul by Sam Vokes on Martin Cranie. Direct free kick taken by Luke Steele.
- 87:19 Corner taken by Akos Buzsaky from the right by-line played to the near post, Kieran Trippier makes a clearance.
- 82:40 Indirect free kick taken by Luke Steele.
- 82:40 Substitution Sam Vokes replaces Ross Wallace.
- 82:40 The referee blows for offside against Danny Ings.
- 82:16 Jim O'Brien has a volleyed shot. Save made by Lee Grant.
- 81:35 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Charlie Austin by Stephen Foster. Jason Shackell takes the direct free kick.
- 80:01 Substitution Jim O'Brien replaces Jacob Mellis.
- 80:01 Substitution (Burnley) makes a substitution, with David Edgar coming on for Brian Stock.
- 78:42 Substitution Emile Sinclair on for Craig Davies.
- 78:07 Akos Buzsaky has a curled shot. Save by Lee Grant.
- 75:50 Free kick awarded for a foul by Ross Wallace on Scott Golbourne. Direct free kick taken by Luke Steele.
- 71:32 Centre by Martin Cranie, clearance by Michael Duff.
- 69:47 Craig Davies has an effort at goal from outside the box missing to the wide left of the goal.
- 68:43 Michael Duff fouled by Marcus Tudgay, the ref awards a free kick. Free kick taken by Lee Grant.
- 64:31 Charlie Austin concedes a free kick for a foul on Jacob Mellis. Free kick crossed right-footed by Akos Buzsaky, Jason Shackell manages to make a clearance.
- 63:40 Corner taken by Reuben Noble-Lazarus from the right by-line.
- 62:05 Unfair challenge on Scott Golbourne by Chris McCann results in a free kick. Free kick taken by Jimmy McNulty.
- 59:42 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Martin Paterson by Akos Buzsaky. Free kick crossed right-footed by Ross Wallace, Marcus Tudgay manages to make a clearance.
- 57:48 Unfair challenge on Danny Ings by Stephen Foster results in a free kick. Jason Shackell takes the direct free kick.
- 56:50 Kieran Trippier concedes a free kick for a foul on Marcus Tudgay. The free kick is delivered right-footed by Akos Buzsaky from left wing, Charlie Austin manages to make a clearance.
- 54:50 Danny Ings has an effort at goal from outside the area hitting the post. Ross Wallace takes the outswinging corner, clearance made by Martin Cranie.
- 54:02 Scott Golbourne concedes a free kick for a foul on Ross Wallace. Kieran Trippier takes the free kick.
- 53:40 Charlie Austin is caught offside. Jonathan Greening takes the indirect free kick.
- 51:17 Free kick awarded for a foul by Akos Buzsaky on Chris McCann. Direct effort from the free kick comes in from Ross Wallace, save by Luke Steele.
- 48:08 Centre by Jacob Mellis, Header by Marcus Tudgay from deep inside the penalty area misses to the left of the target.
- 47:40 Martin Paterson takes a shot. Save by Luke Steele.
- 46:25 The assistant referee signals for offside against Martin Paterson. Stephen Foster restarts play with the free kick.
- 45:01 The referee starts the second half.
- 45:01 Substitution Marvin Bartley leaves the field to be replaced by Danny Ings.
- Half Time
- 45:00+2:01 It is the end of the first-half.
- 45:00+1:05 Martin Paterson takes a shot from 20 yards. Save by Luke Steele.
- 45:00+0:04 Effort from inside the area by Akos Buzsaky misses to the left of the target.
- 39:58 Reuben Noble-Lazarus is caught offside. Indirect free kick taken by Lee Grant.
- 38:46 Inswinging corner taken by Reuben Noble-Lazarus from the right by-line played to the near post, clearance made by Charlie Austin.
- 36:55 Scott Golbourne provided the assist for the goal.
- 36:55 GOAL - Marcus Tudgay:Barnsley 1 - 1 Burnley Marcus Tudgay scores a headed goal from inside the penalty area. Barnsley 1-1 Burnley.
- 36:15 Long distance effort from Ross Wallace misses to the left of the goal.
- 34:37 Unfair challenge on Akos Buzsaky by Chris McCann results in a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Jonathan Greening.
- 33:42 Brian Stock concedes a free kick for a foul on Marcus Tudgay. Direct free kick taken by Stephen Foster.
- 32:40 Kieran Trippier fouled by Jacob Mellis, the ref awards a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Kieran Trippier.
- 31:41 The offside flag is raised against Ross Wallace. Jimmy McNulty takes the indirect free kick.
- 26:04 Charlie Austin crosses the ball, Header from deep inside the area by Martin Paterson goes over the bar.
- 21:01 Martin Cranie delivers the ball, Kieran Trippier manages to make a clearance. Corner taken right-footed by Akos Buzsaky from the left by-line to the near post, Chris McCann manages to make a clearance.
- 17:21 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Jonathan Greening by Chris McCann. Direct free kick taken by Luke Steele.
- 16:45 Free kick awarded for a foul by Marcus Tudgay on Kieran Trippier. Free kick taken by Kieran Trippier.
- 13:43 Marvin Bartley gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Akos Buzsaky. Direct free kick taken by Jonathan Greening.
- 12:17 Brian Stock gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Jacob Mellis. Jimmy McNulty takes the free kick.
- 10:52 Martin Paterson challenges Reuben Noble-Lazarus unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick crossed right-footed by Jonathan Greening from right wing, Brian Stock makes a clearance.
- 8:34 Inswinging corner taken by Akos Buzsaky from the left by-line played to the near post, clearance made by Charlie Austin.
- 8:06 Akos Buzsaky takes a inswinging corner from the left by-line played to the near post, Martin Paterson makes a clearance.
- 7:38 Marvin Bartley concedes a free kick for a foul on Jacob Mellis. Free kick taken by Jonathan Greening.
- 4:36 Assist on the goal came from Ross Wallace.
- 4:36 GOAL - Charlie Austin:Barnsley 0 - 1 Burnley Charlie Austin scores a headed goal from close in. Barnsley 0-1 Burnley.
- 3:45 Corner taken by Ross Wallace from the left by-line played to the near post,
- 0:00 The ref blows the whistle to begin the match.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.