Stoke 2 - 1 Newcastle
Newcastle slid to a fourth successive league defeat for the first time since 2008 as Stoke came from behind with two late goals in four minutes to go ninth.
Following a forgettable first half, Newcastle went ahead when Papiss Cisse converted a rebound after Demba Ba's shot was parried by Asmir Begovic.
Newcastle had chances for a second but Jon Walters equalised with a glancing header from Cameron Jerome's cross.
Jerome hit the winner after a knockdown from fellow substitute Kenwyne Jones.
Cisse's only previous league goal this term inadvertently deflected in off his rear end when Newcastle last recorded a league victory against West Brom at the end of October, and it seemed as though he might have provided a morale-boosting win again.
Given their wretched run, a midweek visit to have their feathers ruffled by Stoke, unbeaten at home since February, was a far from ideal assignment for the Magpies, again significantly weakened by the absence of influential midfielders Yohan Cabaye and Hatem Ben Arfa through injury.
But roared on by the Toon Army, they looked neater in possession and were largely inconvenienced in the first period.
The game was littered with misplaced passes, however, with Newcastle defender Mike Williamson's skewed clearance against his own post the closest to breaking the deadlock before the break.
Matthew Etherington was clear down the left flank but his centre was over-hit and too far in front of the well-placed Charlie Adam in the area, rather summing up the opening period.
Two players sustained nasty cuts in separate incidents and both were from Stoke, Geoff Cameron returning with a new shirt but Peter Crouch forced off after losing teeth when caught by Fabricio Coloccini's stray arm in an aerial challenge.
When Newcastle last lost four successive league matches they were relegated
The game was in urgent need of a goal and it came from the visitors, who hustled Glenn Whelan out of possession to allow Ba to fire a low effort that bounced awkwardly in front of Begovic and Cisse was alert to hook in left-footed off the inside of the post, scuppering Stoke's hopes of a sixth clean sheet at the Britannia Stadium this term.
With the home side struggling to find a way back into the contest, Newcastle had penalty claims for handball swiftly dismissed, while Cisse might have added a second when he sprinted clear to collect goalkeeper Tim Krul's long clearance, but his angled shot was pushed aside by Begovic.
The goalkeeper then saved with his legs in an almost identical scenario when Ba broke through.
Those saves proved crucial as Stoke finally exerted some sustained pressure, and moments after Jones headed straight at Krul, Jerome crossed for Walters to get in front of his marker and direct a header into the top corner.
The tide had turned, the hosts sensed victory and it duly arrived when Jones knocked a long ball down invitingly for Jerome to slot home first-time from 15 yards.
It extended Stoke's unbeaten home record to 14 matches and ensured increased concern for Newcastle, who remain without an away win this season.
Stoke manager Tony Pulis:
"We won't get carried away, we've had a couple of very good results at home, to take six points from Fulham and Newcastle is very, very pleasing but at this football club whether we're third from bottom or ninth it makes no difference, we just carry on what we do and we do it to the best of our ability.
"We were unlucky first half with the one that hits the post, if that goes in it takes some pressure off, and when they score from a mistake by Asmir [Begovic] who should do better than that, you think it's not going to be your night.
"Couple of substitutions, Cameron Jerome and Michael Kightly added some pace and power to it and I think in the end we deserved to win the game.
"Cameron and Kenwyne [Jones] haven't played many games this year but their attitudes have been first class. It's very difficult keeping players happy who are not in the team but Cameron has shown his class, it was a great finish, the crowd were at their best and they almost suck the ball into the net."
Newcastle boss Alan Pardew:
"After 75 minutes we were bossing the game, 1-0 up looking like we were going to get a second, I thought we had a definite penalty that wasn't given, and two sucker punches have cost us.
"I feel so sorry for the players because it's been a tough little spell for us with the blows we've had on the injury front and we've put in a really great performance here and ended up with nothing, it's hard to look your players in the eye and say you've carried the gameplan through and got nothing.
"Obviously goals do change the situation but I felt the least we deserved was a draw so the second goal was a real bad one.
"It's the run of results that's the problem and we've got to stop that, we couldn't have done anymore to stop it tonight and unfortunately we've just come up short, the players were magnificent tonight, I couldn't say that Sunday but I can tonight.
Live text and stats
Wednesday, 28 November 2012
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 01 Begovic
- 02 Cameron yellow card
- 04 Huth
- 17 Shawcross
- 30 Shotton
- 06 Whelan
- 15 Nzonzi
- 16 Adam yellow card (Kightly 67)
- 26 Etherington (Jerome 68)
- 19 Walters
- 25 Crouch (Jones 40)
- 01 Krul
- 02 Coloccini
- 03 Santon yellow card
- 05 Simpson
- 06 Williamson
- 14 Perch
- 08 Anita yellow card (Sa Ameobi 87)
- 18 Gutierrez
- 24 Tiote
- 09 Cisse (Ranger 87)
- 19 Ba
- Stoke 58%
- Newcastle 42%
Attempts on target
- Stoke 5
- Newcastle 6
Attempts off target
- Stoke 6
- Newcastle 1
- Stoke 7
- Newcastle 2
- Stoke 12
- Newcastle 12
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+4:16 The game is over, as the referee blows his whistle.
- 90:00+3:23 Kenwyne Jones challenges James Perch unfairly and gives away a free kick. Tim Krul takes the free kick.
- 90:00+2:43 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Michael Kightly by Fabricio Coloccini. Robert Huth takes the free kick.
- 90:00+0:48 Sammy Ameobi gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Michael Kightly. Glenn Whelan takes the direct free kick.
- 86:12 Substitution Papiss Cisse goes off and Nile Ranger comes on.
- 86:12 Substitution (Newcastle) makes a substitution, with Sammy Ameobi coming on for Vurnon Anita.
- 84:24 Assist by Kenwyne Jones.
- 84:24 GOAL - Cameron Jerome:Stoke 2 - 1 Newcastle A goal is scored by Cameron Jerome from deep inside the penalty box low into the middle of the goal. Stoke 2-1 Newcastle.
- 83:51 Steven Nzonzi sends in a cross, Jonathan Walters produces a right-footed shot from deep inside the penalty box which goes wide of the right-hand upright.
- 80:49 Cameron Jerome provided the assist for the goal.
- 80:49 GOAL - Jonathan Walters:Stoke 1 - 1 Newcastle Jonathan Walters grabs a headed goal from close range. Stoke 1-1 Newcastle.
- 80:43 The ball is swung over by Cameron Jerome,
- 79:44 Corner taken by Vurnon Anita from the right by-line, Robert Huth manages to make a clearance.
- 79:06 A cross is delivered by Michael Kightly, Kenwyne Jones takes a shot. Save by Tim Krul.
- 77:01 Demba Ba takes a shot. Save by Asmir Begovic.
- 76:30 Davide Santon concedes a free kick for a foul on Jonathan Walters. Free kick taken by Glenn Whelan.
- 75:58 Ryan Shotton crosses the ball, save made by Tim Krul.
- Correction - 73:53 Corner taken right-footed by Glenn Whelan from the left by-line, Header from deep inside the area by Ryan Shawcross goes over the bar.
- 73:53 Inswinging corner taken right-footed by Glenn Whelan from the left by-line, Header from deep inside the area by Ryan Shawcross goes harmlessly over the crossbar.
- 73:03 The referee blows for offside against Cameron Jerome. Indirect free kick taken by Tim Krul.
- 72:04 Glenn Whelan sends in a cross, Tim Krul makes a save.
- 71:36 Free kick awarded for a foul by Papiss Cisse on Geoff Cameron. Asmir Begovic takes the free kick.
- 68:57 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Cameron Jerome by Danny Simpson. Free kick taken by Geoff Cameron.
- 68:18 Corner taken right-footed by Glenn Whelan from the right by-line, clearance by Mike Williamson.
- 67:13 Substitution Matthew Etherington goes off and Cameron Jerome comes on.
- 66:43 Substitution Michael Kightly comes on in place of Charlie Adam.
- 65:52 Demba Ba is ruled offside. Indirect free kick taken by Asmir Begovic.
- 65:11 Jonathan Walters takes a shot. Save made by Tim Krul. Shot from deep inside the area by Jonathan Walters clears the crossbar.
- 64:38 Inswinging corner taken by Matthew Etherington from the right by-line, Danny Simpson makes a clearance.
- 63:48 Papiss Cisse takes a shot. Save by Asmir Begovic.
- 63:12 The ball is swung over by Geoff Cameron, save by Tim Krul.
- 62:52 Papiss Cisse is caught offside. Robert Huth takes the direct free kick.
- 57:59 Booking Geoff Cameron receives a yellow card.
- 57:44 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on James Perch by Geoff Cameron. Free kick taken by Tim Krul.
- 55:38 Free kick awarded for a foul by Robert Huth on Demba Ba. Vurnon Anita takes the direct free kick.
- 53:56 Demba Ba takes a shot. Save made by Asmir Begovic. Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Demba Ba by Glenn Whelan. Cheick Tiote restarts play with the free kick.
- 53:07 A cross is delivered by Matthew Etherington. Inswinging corner taken right-footed by Glenn Whelan from the left by-line, save by Tim Krul.
- 51:07 Header from close in by Jonathan Walters misses to the right of the goal.
- 46:45 Assist by Demba Ba.
- 46:45 GOAL - Papiss Cisse:Stoke 0 - 1 Newcastle Papiss Cisse finds the net with a goal from inside the six-yard box to the bottom left corner of the goal. Stoke 0-1 Newcastle.
- 45:55 Demba Ba takes a shot. Asmir Begovic makes a save.
- 45:54 Unfair challenge on James Perch by Charlie Adam results in a free kick. Direct free kick taken by James Perch.
- 45:01 The second half kicks off.
- Half Time
- 45:00+4:01 The referee calls an end to the first half.
- 45:00+2:53 Glenn Whelan challenges Jonas Gutierrez unfairly and gives away a free kick. Vurnon Anita crosses the ball from the free kick right-footed from right channel, Jonathan Walters manages to make a clearance.
- 45:00+1:37 Ryan Shotton delivers the ball, Tim Krul makes a save.
- 45:00+0:26 Demba Ba sends in a cross, Robert Huth manages to make a clearance. Corner taken by Vurnon Anita, save by Asmir Begovic.
- 44:52 Free kick awarded for a foul by Ryan Shotton on Demba Ba. Cheick Tiote restarts play with the free kick.
- 43:12 Papiss Cisse challenges Steven Nzonzi unfairly and gives away a free kick. Steven Nzonzi restarts play with the free kick.
- 40:55 A cross is delivered by Matthew Etherington, Danny Simpson manages to make a clearance. Corner taken left-footed by Matthew Etherington, free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Mike Williamson by Robert Huth. Tim Krul takes the direct free kick.
- 39:01 Substitution Peter Crouch goes off and Kenwyne Jones comes on.
- Correction - 35:58 The ball is crossed by Davide Santon, clearance by Ryan Shawcross.
- 35:58 The ball is crossed by Davide Santon, Ryan Shawcross makes a clearance.
- 35:21 Jonathan Walters is caught offside. Indirect free kick taken by Tim Krul.
- 34:11 The ball is crossed by Danny Simpson.
- 32:43 Corner taken left-footed by Matthew Etherington, clearance made by Danny Simpson.
- 32:29 A cross is delivered by Matthew Etherington.
- Correction - 28:44 Effort from long distance by Glenn Whelan goes wide right of the target.
- 28:44 Steven Nzonzi takes a shot from long distance which goes wide of the right-hand upright.
- 27:43 Davide Santon restarts play with the free kick.
- 27:43 Booking Charlie Adam goes into the referee's book.
- 27:30 Charlie Adam concedes a free kick for a foul on Jonas Gutierrez.
- 26:10 A cross is delivered by Jonas Gutierrez, Asmir Begovic makes a save.
- 24:58 Jonas Gutierrez gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Jonathan Walters. Ryan Shawcross takes the direct free kick.
- 22:24 Charlie Adam gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Cheick Tiote. Fabricio Coloccini takes the direct free kick.
- 17:39 Strike on goal comes in from Glenn Whelan from the free kick.
- 17:39 Booking Vurnon Anita goes into the book.
- 17:36 Foul by James Perch on Matthew Etherington, free kick awarded.
- Correction - 16:23 Peter Crouch gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Fabricio Coloccini. Tim Krul restarts play with the free kick.
- 16:23 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Fabricio Coloccini by Peter Crouch. Tim Krul restarts play with the free kick.
- 15:25 Outswinging corner taken from the right by-line by Glenn Whelan, Jonathan Walters takes a shot. Save by Tim Krul.
- 14:36 Free kick crossed by Glenn Whelan, clearance by Mike Williamson.
- 14:36 Booking Davide Santon is cautioned.
- 14:22 Davide Santon concedes a free kick for a foul on Jonathan Walters.
- 10:02 Cheick Tiote fouled by Steven Nzonzi, the ref awards a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Davide Santon.
- 8:58 Foul by Cheick Tiote on Steven Nzonzi, free kick awarded. The free kick is swung in right-footed by Glenn Whelan.
- 7:29 The referee blows for offside. Fabricio Coloccini takes the indirect free kick.
- 6:56 Vurnon Anita takes a shot. Save by Asmir Begovic.
- 5:04 Effort from outside the box by James Perch goes wide right of the target.
- 3:24 Demba Ba gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Matthew Etherington. Matthew Etherington crosses the ball from the free kick left-footed from left wing.
- 0:56 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Jonathan Walters by Davide Santon. Free kick taken by Glenn Whelan.
- 0:00 The referee gets the match started.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.