Fulham 0 - 3 Tottenham
Jermain Defoe struck twice against Fulham to help Tottenham to a third straight Premier League victory.
Fulham keeper Mark Schwarzer was at fault as Sandro opened the scoring from 30 yards following a goalless first half, before Defoe struck from close range to make it 2-0 soon after.
The hosts struggled to respond and Defoe added a third after a pass by former Cottagers player Clint Dempsey.
Tottenham's Gareth Bale was booked for diving for the second straight game.
Defoe, 30, showed he is a striker in form, his second goal a well-executed low effort to confirm he is one of the best finishers in the Premier League.
The England international - capped 52 times by his country - has 14 goals in all competitions this season. In total, he has 128 goals for Tottenham, five behind Alan Gilzean, who is the club's seventh all-time leading scorer
But victory came at a cost for Tottenham, who recorded a rare clean sheet in the league.
Defender Michael Dawson went off injured and had to be replaced in the first half, while in-form Bale also failed to finish the match after appearing to suffer a hamstring problem.
Jermain Defoe confirmed he is the best English finisher in the Premier League at the moment with two more goals as Tottenham picked off Fulham after half-time with three goals. Fulham, who can have few complaints about the outcome, were unable to take advantage after the visitors lost Gareth Bale to injury
It turned out to be an eventful afternoon for Bale, who was booked for the seventh time this season.
Referee Chris Foy had no hesitation in cautioning the Wales international in the 24th minute for diving after a challenge with Steve Sidwell.
Yet Bale had cause to feel aggrieved by Foy's decision as he appeared to be fouled by Fulham's former Aston Villa midfielder.
This was very much a case of friends reunited on the banks of the River Thames - Tottenham's Dempsey and Mousa Dembele lining up against their old club while Fulham, managed by former Spurs manager Martin Jol, had ex-Tottenham striker Dimitar Berbatov in attack.
Berbatov rarely threatened as Tottenham picked off the hosts after a goalless first half.
Sandro broke the deadlock in the 55th minute with a low, long-range attempt that Schwarzer will feel he should have kept out.
There were concerned looks from the Tottenham bench when Bale hobbled off but Defoe struck twice in five minutes to cement the points.
His first goal came after intelligent play by Bale's replacement Gylfi Sigurdsson in the 72nd minute while his second, after Dempsey's excellent threaded pass, was a quality low finish from 12 yards out.
Fulham had their chances - none more so than when Mladen Petric was denied by Hugo Lloris from close range following John Arne Riise's early low cross.
But Jol can have few complaints about the outcome against his former club.
Live text and stats
Saturday, 1 December 2012
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 01 Schwarzer
- 03 Riise
- 04 Senderos
- 18 Hughes
- 27 Riether (Kelly 29)
- 07 Sidwell
- 19 Diarra
- 21 Frei (Duff 62)
- 09 Berbatov
- 10 Petric (Rodallega 79)
- 24 Dejagah
- 25 Lloris
- 05 Vertonghen
- 16 Naughton
- 20 Dawson (Gallas 17 yellow card)
- 33 Caulker
- 02 Dempsey
- 07 Lennon
- 11 Bale yellow card (Sigurdsson 62)
- 30 Sandro
- 18 Defoe
- 19 Dembele (Carroll 84)
- Fulham 42%
- Tottenham 58%
Attempts on target
- Fulham 2
- Tottenham 6
Attempts off target
- Fulham 6
- Tottenham 4
- Fulham 2
- Tottenham 1
- Fulham 10
- Tottenham 8
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+4:08 The final whistle goes and the game is over.
- 90:00+2:54 Free kick awarded for a foul by Gylfi Sigurdsson on John Arne Riise. Steve Sidwell crosses the ball in from the free kick, clearance made by William Gallas.
- 90:00+1:41 Foul by Kyle Naughton on Ashkan Dejagah, free kick awarded. Ashkan Dejagah crosses the ball from the free kick left-footed from left wing, clearance made by Gylfi Sigurdsson.
- 89:40 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Raniere Sandro by Steve Sidwell. William Gallas restarts play with the free kick.
- 84:58 A cross is delivered by Stephen Kelly, clearance by Clint Dempsey. Corner taken left-footed by Damien Duff from the right by-line, Header on goal by Stephen Kelly from inside the box goes harmlessly over the target.
- 83:08 Hugo Lloris takes the free kick.
- 83:08 Substitution Tom Carroll comes on in place of Mousa Dembele.
- 83:08 Stephen Kelly gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Clint Dempsey.
- 82:03 Kyle Naughton concedes a free kick for a foul on Ashkan Dejagah. Mahamadou Diarra takes the direct free kick.
- 81:24 Hugo Rodallega takes a shot. Save by Hugo Lloris.
- 80:48 Damien Duff crosses the ball, clearance made by Steven Caulker.
- 78:55 Gylfi Sigurdsson takes a shot. Save by Mark Schwarzer.
- 78:03 Substitution Hugo Rodallega is brought on as a substitute for Mladen Petric.
- 76:41 The assist for the goal came from Clint Dempsey.
- 76:41 GOAL - Jermain Defoe:Fulham 0 - 3 Tottenham Jermain Defoe fires in a goal from inside the box to the bottom right corner of the goal. Fulham 0-3 Tottenham.
- 76:16 John Arne Riise crosses the ball, clearance by William Gallas.
- 71:53 Assist by Gylfi Sigurdsson.
- 71:53 GOAL - Jermain Defoe:Fulham 0 - 2 Tottenham Jermain Defoe finds the back of the net with a goal from inside the area low into the middle of the goal. Fulham 0-2 Tottenham.
- 65:55 Headed effort from deep inside the penalty area by Ashkan Dejagah goes harmlessly over the crossbar.
- 64:17 Unfair challenge on Dimitar Berbatov by Gylfi Sigurdsson results in a free kick. Mladen Petric shoots direct from the free kick.
- 59:57 Jan Vertonghen takes the free kick.
- 59:57 Substitution Damien Duff on for Kerim Frei.
- 59:57 Substitution Gylfi Sigurdsson is brought on as a substitute for Gareth Bale.
- 59:57 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Clint Dempsey by Kerim Frei.
- Correction - 59:27 Gareth Bale takes a shot. Save by Mark Schwarzer.
- 59:27 Gareth Bale takes a shot. Mark Schwarzer makes a save.
- 57:53 Ashkan Dejagah gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Jan Vertonghen. Free kick taken by Hugo Lloris.
- 57:19 Booking William Gallas is cautioned.
- 56:18 Aaron Lennon gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on John Arne Riise. Direct free kick taken by John Arne Riise.
- Correction - 54:59 GOAL - Raniere Sandro:Fulham 0 - 1 Tottenham A goal is scored by Raniere Sandro from 35 yards. Fulham 0-1 Tottenham.
- 54:59 Assist by Mousa Dembele.
- 54:59 GOAL - Raniere Sandro:Fulham 0 - 1 Tottenham Raniere Sandro scores a goal from 35 yards. Fulham 0-1 Tottenham.
- 54:35 The ball is swung over by Jermain Defoe, clearance by Stephen Kelly.
- 53:08 Dimitar Berbatov sends in a cross, Steven Caulker manages to make a clearance.
- 48:12 The offside flag is raised against Ashkan Dejagah. Hugo Lloris takes the indirect free kick.
- 46:57 Steve Sidwell produces a right-footed shot from just outside the penalty box that misses to the left of the goal.
- 45:01 The second half has started.
- Half Time
- 45:00+2:02 The players leave the pitch at half time.
- 45:00+1:17 Jermain Defoe takes a shot. Save made by Mark Schwarzer.
- 45:00+0:18 Mousa Dembele gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Dimitar Berbatov. Dimitar Berbatov restarts play with the free kick.
- 44:39 Effort from deep inside the area by Gareth Bale clears the bar.
- 43:49 A cross is delivered by John Arne Riise, Jan Vertonghen manages to make a clearance.
- 41:47 Mladen Petric produces a left-footed shot from just outside the penalty box that misses to the left of the target.
- 40:44 The referee blows for offside. Philippe Senderos restarts play with the free kick.
- Correction - 38:16 Ashkan Dejagah produces a cross, clearance by William Gallas. Ashkan Dejagah takes a outswinging corner from the right by-line played to the near post, clearance by Gareth Bale.
- 38:16 Ashkan Dejagah delivers the ball, Steven Caulker manages to make a clearance. Ashkan Dejagah takes a outswinging corner from the right by-line played to the near post, Gareth Bale makes a clearance.
- 36:42 Jermain Defoe concedes a free kick for a foul on Steve Sidwell. John Arne Riise takes the free kick.
- 33:05 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Clint Dempsey by Mahamadou Diarra. Jan Vertonghen takes the free kick.
- 29:32 The ball is swung over by Jan Vertonghen, Philippe Senderos makes a clearance.
- 28:28 Substitution Sascha Riether goes off and Stephen Kelly comes on.
- 24:49 Clint Dempsey has an effort at goal from just outside the penalty box which goes wide of the left-hand post.
- 23:16 Mladen Petric takes a shot. Hugo Lloris makes a save.
- 22:35 Booking Gareth Bale receives a yellow card.
- 21:00 The assistant referee signals for offside against Mladen Petric. William Gallas restarts play with the free kick.
- 19:52 Raniere Sandro challenges Sascha Riether unfairly and gives away a free kick. Mark Schwarzer takes the direct free kick.
- 17:36 The offside flag is raised against Jermain Defoe. Free kick taken by John Arne Riise.
- 16:48 Substitution William Gallas on for Michael Dawson.
- 13:33 Centre by Ashkan Dejagah, clearance made by Michael Dawson.
- 12:34 Dimitar Berbatov challenges Jan Vertonghen unfairly and gives away a free kick. Jan Vertonghen takes the direct free kick.
- 11:53 The ball is crossed by Mladen Petric, Kyle Naughton manages to make a clearance. Effort from the edge of the area by Kerim Frei goes wide of the right-hand post.
- 9:50 Unfair challenge on Mousa Dembele by Mladen Petric results in a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Mousa Dembele.
- 8:54 Mladen Petric concedes a free kick for a foul on Raniere Sandro. Michael Dawson takes the direct free kick.
- 7:28 Mahamadou Diarra gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Clint Dempsey. Strike on goal comes in from Gareth Bale from the free kick.
- 6:57 Corner taken by Gareth Bale from the right by-line played to the near post, Dimitar Berbatov makes a clearance.
- 6:20 The ball is swung over by Raniere Sandro, Ashkan Dejagah manages to make a clearance.
- 4:42 Effort from the edge of the area by Clint Dempsey goes wide of the left-hand post.
- 4:28 Gareth Bale sends in a cross, John Arne Riise makes a clearance.
- 3:24 Kerim Frei concedes a free kick for a foul on Gareth Bale. Free kick crossed by Gareth Bale, Philippe Senderos manages to make a clearance.
- 0:00 The referee gets the game underway.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.