Coventry 5 - 1 Walsall
Coventry City ran up their biggest home win under boss Mark Robins as they hammered struggling West Midland neighbours Walsall at the Ricoh Arena.
Blair Adams' 16th-minute own goal put the visitors ahead before goals from Carl Baker and two in as many minutes from Sky Blues top scorer David McGoldrick made it 3-1 at the break.
Cyrus Christie fired a low shot for number four on 61 minutes.
Baker got his second seven minutes from time, from just outside the box.
To add to their miserable afternoon, Walsall skipper Andy Butler was sent off nine minutes from time for a second yellow card.
Coventry have moved up to 15th in League One after stretching their unbeaten run to six games against a Walsall side who have not won in 15 - since beating Bournemouth on 29 September.
McGoldrick, League One's 13-goal top scorer, now has 15 for the season in all competitions.
His first on 39 minutes finished off a good move involving Baker and James Bailey, then, despite Walsall protests that he had fouled visiting defender Richard Taundry, he chested down Baker's cross to fire home from six yards.
Walsall had taken a 14th-minute lead when full-back Blair turned Jamie Paterson's cross into his own net from 10 yards.
But Baker equalised with the first of his brace on 29 minutes when he pounced on a loose ball in the box to beat Aaron McCarey at his near post.
Coventry full-back Christie put the result beyond doubt on 62 minutes, evading the linesman's flag to latch onto Baker's pass before cutting inside to fire through a sea of bodies into the corner.
Baker, who was involved in all five Coventry goals, made it five on 84 minutes when he fired in a left-footed shot into the bottom corner from 20 yards.
VIEW FROM THE DRESSING ROOM
Sky Blues manager Mark Robins told BBC Coventry and Warwickshire:
"I'm proud of them. It was a big three points and keeps that momentum going and keep us climbing the table.
"For the first 20 minutes we weren't at the races. We didn't take any of our openings, and ended up giving them a goal start with an own goal. That kicked us into life.
"I could tell by looking into Dave McGoldrick's eyes before the game that he was ready for goals and was hungry. He worked hard, got into good positions, led the line and gave us opportunities to get up the pitch."
Walsall manager Dean Smith told BBC WM:
"I felt the goals we conceded were vey poor. We've got to be better defensively. And our performance for the final 70 minutes was a talking point.
"But the referee's performance was another talking point as two of their goals should not have counted.
"I've not had this referee for five years since I was assistant manager at Leyton Orient. I remember Martin Ling giving him 0 out of 100 . . . and he won't be getting many more from me."
Live text and stats
Saturday, 8 December 2012
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 01 Murphy
- 21 Christie
- 24 Wood
- 25 Edjenguele
- 39 Adams
- 08 Baker yellow card
- 12 Jennings
- 32 Moussa (Fleck 75)
- 38 Bailey (Barton 87)
- 11 McSheffrey (McDonald 75)
- 31 McGoldrick yellow card
- 13 Dunn,
- 02 Clarke,
- 26 Willis,
- 10 Fleck,
- 16 Barton,
- 09 McDonald,
- 19 O'Donovan
- 32 Mccarey
- 02 Taundry
- 04 Butler two yellow cards, red card
- 05 Holden
- 26 Taylor yellow card
- 06 Featherstone yellow card (Hemmings 86)
- 27 Mantom
- 09 Grigg
- 10 Paterson (A Chambers 67)
- 12 Brandy yellow card (Downing 85)
- 29 Westcarr
- 01 Grof,
- 22 Downing,
- 25 J Chambers,
- 07 A Chambers,
- 11 Hemmings,
- 24 Baxendale,
- 17 Bowerman
- Coventry 60%
- Walsall 40%
Attempts on target
- Coventry 7
- Walsall 8
Attempts off target
- Coventry 7
- Walsall 4
- Coventry 2
- Walsall 6
- Coventry 11
- Walsall 9
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+5:08 The referee signals the end of the game.
- 89:34 Booking Andy Taylor shown a yellow card.
- 88:14 Free kick awarded for a foul by David McGoldrick on Sam Mantom. Aaron Mccarey restarts play with the free kick.
- 87:58 Cyrus Christie produces a cross, Andy Taylor gets a block in.
- 85:43 Substitution Adam Barton joins the action as a substitute, replacing James Bailey.
- 85:43 Substitution Ashley Hemmings is brought on as a substitute for Nicky Featherstone.
- 84:28 Substitution (Walsall) makes a substitution, with Paul Downing coming on for Febian Brandy.
- 83:17 Assist on the goal came from Steven Jennings.
- 83:17 GOAL - Carl Baker:Coventry 5 - 1 Walsall A goal is scored by Carl Baker from just outside the penalty area to the bottom left corner of the goal. Coventry 5-1 Walsall.
- 80:42 Free kick taken by Steven Jennings.
- 80:42 Sent off The referee red cards Andy Butler for second bookable offence.
- 80:00 Unfair challenge on Cody McDonald by Andy Butler results in a free kick.
- 79:42 The assistant referee flags for offside against Dean Holden. Free kick taken by Joe Murphy.
- 77:38 Will Grigg fouled by Richard Wood, the ref awards a free kick. Direct effort from the free kick comes in from Sam Mantom, William Edjenguele gets a block in.
- 77:03 Corner taken by Craig Westcarr from the left by-line, save by Joe Murphy.
- 76:37 Adam Chambers takes a shot. Save made by Joe Murphy.
- 74:40 Substitution Cody McDonald replaces Gary McSheffrey.
- 74:40 Substitution John Fleck comes on in place of Franck Moussa.
- 74:03 Gary McSheffrey takes a short corner.
- 73:38 The ball is swung over by Carl Baker, blocked by Andy Butler.
- 72:37 Gary McSheffrey concedes a free kick for a foul on Andy Butler. Andy Taylor takes the direct free kick.
- 72:17 The ball is sent over by Richard Taundry.
- 70:08 Close range shot by Richard Wood goes wide of the left-hand upright.
- 69:21 Andy Butler challenges Gary McSheffrey unfairly and gives away a free kick. Carl Baker takes the free kick.
- 68:39 The official flags Will Grigg offside. Richard Wood takes the indirect free kick.
- 67:49 David McGoldrick handles the ball and concedes a free kick. Dean Holden restarts play with the free kick.
- 67:20 Febian Brandy takes a shot. Save by Joe Murphy.
- 67:13 Will Grigg delivers the ball, clearance made by Richard Wood.
- 66:39 Substitution Jamie Paterson goes off and Adam Chambers comes on.
- 66:12 Will Grigg takes a shot. William Edjenguele gets a block in.
- 65:45 Febian Brandy takes a shot. Save made by Joe Murphy.
- 64:14 Booking Andy Butler is cautioned by the ref for unsporting behaviour.
- 64:09 Booking The referee cautions David McGoldrick for unsporting behaviour.
- 62:05 Joe Murphy restarts play with the free kick.
- 62:05 Booking Nicky Featherstone goes into the book.
- 61:58 Franck Moussa fouled by Nicky Featherstone, the ref awards a free kick.
- 60:53 GOAL - Cyrus Christie:Coventry 4 - 1 Walsall Cyrus Christie fires in a goal from inside the box to the bottom left corner of the goal. Coventry 4-1 Walsall.
- 58:25 Inswinging corner taken from the left by-line by Jamie Paterson, save made by Joe Murphy.
- 57:37 Free kick awarded for a foul by Steven Jennings on Jamie Paterson. Free kick crossed right-footed by Craig Westcarr from right channel, clearance by Richard Wood.
- 55:31 Febian Brandy is caught offside. Joe Murphy restarts play with the free kick.
- 54:39 David McGoldrick takes a shot from just outaide the box and strikes the post.
- 53:28 Unfair challenge on Febian Brandy by William Edjenguele results in a free kick. Andy Taylor crosses the ball in from the free kick, Joe Murphy makes a save.
- 50:38 Free kick awarded for a foul by Gary McSheffrey on Andy Butler. Direct free kick taken by Richard Taundry.
- 49:51 The referee blows for offside. Aaron Mccarey restarts play with the free kick.
- 49:16 Will Grigg takes a shot from just outside the penalty area clears the crossbar.
- 48:12 The official flags Febian Brandy offside. William Edjenguele takes the indirect free kick.
- 46:28 Jamie Paterson takes a shot from 20 yards. Joe Murphy makes a save.
- 45:01 The referee starts the second half.
- Half Time
- 45:00+2:21 The referee blows for half time.
- 45:00+0:16 Steven Jennings produces a mishit right-footed shot from deep inside the penalty box which goes wide of the right-hand upright.
- 42:35 Gary McSheffrey fouled by Andy Butler, the ref awards a free kick. Strike on goal comes in from Carl Baker from the free kick.
- 41:54 Booking The referee shows Febian Brandy a yellow card for unsporting behaviour.
- 41:46 Febian Brandy gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Franck Moussa. Indirect free kick taken by Cyrus Christie.
- 40:30 The assist for the goal came from Carl Baker.
- 40:30 GOAL - David McGoldrick:Coventry 3 - 1 Walsall Goal scored by David McGoldrick from inside the six-yard box low into the middle of the goal. Coventry 3-1 Walsall.
- 40:23 Carl Baker delivers the ball,
- 39:41 Free kick awarded for a foul by Febian Brandy on Steven Jennings. Joe Murphy restarts play with the free kick.
- 38:16 Assist by James Bailey.
- 38:16 GOAL - David McGoldrick:Coventry 2 - 1 Walsall David McGoldrick fires in a goal from inside the box to the bottom right corner of the goal. Coventry 2-1 Walsall.
- 35:22 The ball is sent over by Blair Adams, save by Aaron Mccarey.
- 35:15 David McGoldrick crosses the ball, Andy Butler makes a clearance.
- 34:02 Blair Adams produces a cross, Richard Taundry gets a block in.
- 32:55 Corner taken by Jamie Paterson, Dean Holden has a headed effort at goal from deep inside the area missing to the right of the target.
- 32:41 The ball is crossed by Jamie Paterson, Cyrus Christie manages to make a clearance.
- 32:14 Inswinging corner taken from the left by-line by Jamie Paterson.
- 31:59 Jamie Paterson delivers the ball, William Edjenguele manages to make a clearance.
- 31:28 Blair Adams takes a shot.
- 28:56 GOAL - Carl Baker:Coventry 1 - 1 Walsall Goal scored by Carl Baker from deep inside the penalty box to the bottom left corner of the goal. Coventry 1-1 Walsall.
- 28:25 Pass corner from right by-line taken by Gary McSheffrey to short.
- 28:11 Franck Moussa delivers the ball, clearance by Andy Butler.
- 27:33 The ball is delivered by Richard Wood.
- 26:10 Centre by David McGoldrick.
- 25:26 Foul by Febian Brandy on Richard Wood, free kick awarded. Free kick taken by Joe Murphy.
- 25:03 The ball is delivered by Gary McSheffrey, clearance made by Richard Taundry.
- 24:24 Carl Baker produces a cross, Andy Butler manages to make a clearance.
- 24:14 Cyrus Christie crosses the ball, Andy Butler manages to make a clearance.
- 24:05 The ball is crossed by Blair Adams, Andy Butler manages to make a clearance.
- 19:40 Sam Mantom fouled by Steven Jennings, the ref awards a free kick. Strike on goal comes in from Andy Taylor from the free kick.
- 18:56 A cross is delivered by Carl Baker, save made by Aaron Mccarey.
- 17:42 Free kick awarded for a foul by Carl Baker on Febian Brandy. Indirect free kick taken by Aaron Mccarey.
- 17:14 Booking Carl Baker goes into the book.
- 15:17 Assist by Jamie Paterson. Outswinging corner taken by Jamie Paterson from the left by-line, clearance by William Edjenguele.
- 15:17 GOAL - Blair Adams:Coventry 0 - 1 Walsall An own goal is scored by Blair Adams. Coventry 0-1 Walsall.
- 14:13 The ball is sent over by Jamie Paterson.
- 13:34 Nicky Featherstone takes a shot.
- 12:42 Shot by David McGoldrick from deep inside the penalty area misses to the right of the goal.
- 11:43 Free kick awarded for a foul by Richard Wood on Febian Brandy. Direct free kick taken by Andy Butler.
- 10:20 Craig Westcarr sends in a cross.
- 8:51 Andy Butler fouled by David McGoldrick, the ref awards a free kick. Indirect free kick taken by Aaron Mccarey.
- 8:06 Gary McSheffrey has an effort at goal from just outside the penalty box which goes wide of the left-hand post.
- 6:51 Franck Moussa takes a shot. Aaron Mccarey makes a save.
- 5:56 Corner taken short by Jamie Paterson.
- 5:21 David McGoldrick takes a shot. Save by Aaron Mccarey.
- 4:58 Will Grigg crosses the ball.
- 4:20 David McGoldrick fouled by Andy Taylor, the ref awards a free kick. Free kick taken by Joe Murphy.
- 2:13 Nicky Featherstone takes a shot. Carl Baker gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Febian Brandy. A cross is delivered by Jamie Paterson, Headed effort on goal by Andy Butler from inside the penalty box misses to the right of the target. Save by Joe Murphy.
- 2:04 Febian Brandy crosses the ball, clearance by Richard Wood.
- 0:41 David McGoldrick fouled by Dean Holden, the ref awards a free kick. Free kick crossed by Gary McSheffrey, clearance by Andy Butler.
- 0:00 The match has kicked off.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.