Middlesbrough scored two late goals against Wolves to move back into
third place in the Championship table.
Marvin Emnes scored from the spot in the 89th minute after a questionable penalty was awarded when a cross hit Karl Henry's arm.
Striker Scott McDonald then sealed the win at the death, smashing in a second as the visitors became stretched in their search for an equaliser.
The result puts Boro one point behind second-placed Crystal Palace.
Stale Solbakken's Wolves had not won on Teesside since 1951 but looked on course to leave with a point before referee Robert Madley came to the fore after McDonald's centre hit Henry.
Prior to that, Boro started the brighter and attacker Luke Williams forced a good save from Carl Ikeme with the first chance of the game before striker Ishmael Miller - starting his first match since 24 November - curled an effort over the crossbar after a blistering counter-attack.
Wolves responded with a rapid break of their own and centre-back Jonathan Woodgate had to be at his sharpest to prevent Sylvan Ebanks-Blake tapping home.
After the break, Wolves looked the most likely team to claim the three points as midfielder Bakary Sako had several attempts from distance and substitute David Davis saw his dangerous shot deflected into goalkeeper Luke Steele's arms.
The earlier introduction of Emnes up front was to prove crucial as he calmly slotted home the spot-kick and set up McDonald for the second.
The defeat means Wolves are eight points adrift of the play-off places in 18th as they failed to build
on the two wins they claimed at the start of the month.
Middlesbrough manager Tony Mowbray:
"I'm not going to question the integrity of the officials, they call it honestly every game.
"The boy leant into the ball and that's why the linesman called it how he did.
"It was a huge result for us. It wasn't the most fluid or polished we have played all season but that doesn't matter now.
"We can't play well every week but it wasn't exactly daylight robbery. We worked hard and kept going and I think we got our rewards."
Wolves manager Stale Solbakken:
"It was a bad decision. The ball was kicked in very hard and he turned but he couldn't get out of the way.
"For me the referee has to be 100% sure to give such a big decision and I don't think he could have been. I think he should have over-ruled the linesman - it was a very bad one.
"It was a big blow to us because I think we were the better team.
"After the first 20 minutes we played the better football, we created the better chances and we had the momentum. "
Live text and stats
Saturday, 15 December 2012
- Emnes (pen) 89
- McDonald 90+4
- Middlesbrough 53%
- Wolves 47%
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+4:42 The referee ends the match.
- 90:00+3:24 Assist on the goal came from Marvin Emnes.
- 90:00+3:24 GOAL - Scott McDonald:Middlesbrough 2 - 0 Wolverhampton Goal scored by Scott McDonald from just outside the area to the bottom left corner of the goal. Middlesbrough 2-0 Wolverhampton.
- 90:00+2:12 Effort from the edge of the box by Bjorn Sigurdarson goes wide of the left-hand upright.
- 90:00+1:18 Christophe Berra fouled by Richard Smallwood, the ref awards a free kick. Bakary Sako takes the direct free kick.
- 88:11 GOAL - Marvin Emnes:Middlesbrough 1 - 0 Wolverhampton Penalty taken right-footed by Marvin Emnes and scored. Middlesbrough 1-0 Wolverhampton.
- 87:01 Penalty awarded for a foul by Karl Henry on Scott McDonald.
- 85:56 A cross is delivered by Scott McDonald, blocked by Karl Henry.
- 84:38 The assistant referee flags for offside against Marvin Emnes. Free kick taken by Carl Ikeme.
- 84:13 Free kick awarded for a foul by Bakary Sako on Josh McEachran. Grant Leadbitter restarts play with the free kick.
- 83:18 Bakary Sako takes a outswinging corner.
- 82:48 David Davis takes a shot. Jason Steele makes a save.
- 80:46 The referee blows for offside against Scott McDonald. Carl Ikeme restarts play with the free kick.
- 79:34 Substitution Stuart Parnaby comes on in place of George Friend.
- 76:16 Corner taken by Stephen Ward, Richard Smallwood makes a clearance.
- Correction - 76:16 Outswinging corner taken right-footed by Jermaine Pennant from the right by-line, clearance made by Richard Smallwood.
- 75:56 Kevin Doyle takes a shot. Jason Steele makes a save.
- Correction - 73:01 Substitution David Davis on for Tongo Doumbia.
- Correction - 73:01 Substitution Jermaine Pennant on for Sylvan Ebanks-Blake.
- 73:01 Substitution David Davis is brought on as a substitute for Tongo Doumbia.
- 73:01 Substitution Nenad Milijas replaces Sylvan Ebanks-Blake.
- 71:34 Shot from just outside the penalty area by George Friend misses to the left of the target.
- 70:22 Emmanuel Ledesma takes a shot. Save by Carl Ikeme.
- 65:38 Tongo Doumbia has an effort at goal from deep inside the area missing to the right of the goal.
- 64:57 Emmanuel Ledesma gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Karl Henry. Free kick taken by Carl Ikeme.
- 61:28 Substitution Emmanuel Ledesma on for Ishmael Miller.
- 61:28 Substitution Luke Williams goes off and Marvin Emnes comes on.
- 60:18 Roger Johnson concedes a free kick for a foul on Ishmael Miller. Grant Leadbitter takes the direct free kick.
- 57:10 Inswinging corner taken by Bakary Sako, clearance made by Jonathan Woodgate.
- 56:02 Outswinging corner taken left-footed by Bakary Sako from the left by-line.
- 54:33 Luke Williams takes a shot. Save by Carl Ikeme.
- 52:32 The ball is swung over by Justin Hoyte, clearance made by Christophe Berra.
- 49:29 The offside flag is raised against Ishmael Miller. Carl Ikeme restarts play with the free kick.
- 45:01 The game restarts for the second half.
- Half Time
- 45:00+1:05 The half-time whistle blows.
- 44:45 Effort on goal by Ishmael Miller from inside the penalty area goes harmlessly over the bar.
- 42:25 Foul by George Friend on Sylvan Ebanks-Blake, free kick awarded. Bakary Sako fires a strike on goal direct from the free kick.
- 41:59 George Friend takes a shot from long range which goes wide of the right-hand post.
- 41:21 Bakary Sako takes a shot. Jason Steele makes a save.
- 40:08 Direct free kick taken by Bakary Sako.
- 40:08 Booking Grant Leadbitter shown a yellow card.
- 39:56 Foul by Grant Leadbitter on Kevin Doyle, free kick awarded.
- 38:52 Corner from the left by-line taken by Bakary Sako, Richard Smallwood manages to make a clearance.
- 35:51 The ball is sent over by Luke Williams, Stephen Ward makes a clearance.
- 31:46 The ball is crossed by George Friend, Stephen Ward makes a clearance.
- 30:00 Kevin Foley concedes a free kick for a foul on Luke Williams. Grant Leadbitter takes the free kick.
- 28:46 Inswinging corner taken from the right by-line by Bakary Sako, clearance by George Friend.
- 26:18 Unfair challenge on Tongo Doumbia by Seb Hines results in a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Bakary Sako.
- 25:12 Outswinging corner taken right-footed by Grant Leadbitter, clearance made by Christophe Berra.
- 23:05 The ball is delivered by George Friend, Christophe Berra makes a clearance.
- 20:34 Inswinging corner taken from the right by-line by Bakary Sako.
- 20:06 Karl Henry takes a shot. Grant Leadbitter gets a block in.
- 19:16 Tongo Doumbia fouled by Richard Smallwood, the ref awards a free kick. Kevin Foley takes the free kick.
- 16:20 Bakary Sako takes the outswinging corner, Josh McEachran makes a clearance.
- 15:46 Stephen Ward crosses the ball, clearance made by Seb Hines.
- 14:19 Grant Leadbitter takes the inswinging corner, clearance made by Bakary Sako.
- 7:38 Scott McDonald has an effort at goal from the edge of the area that misses to the right of the target.
- 6:33 The assistant referee signals for offside against Sylvan Ebanks-Blake. Seb Hines restarts play with the free kick.
- 1:11 Free kick awarded for a foul by Ishmael Miller on Roger Johnson. Carl Ikeme takes the free kick.
- 0:00 The game begins.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.