Leeds United 2 - 0 Ipswich
Leeds United moved to within four points of the Championship play-off places as they defeated Ipswich Town.
On-loan Jerome Thomas scored the first goal when he flicked the ball past Stephen Henderson following Tom Lees' flick-on from El-Hadji Diouf's corner.
Paul Green doubled Leeds's lead, firing in from a Thomas pass after he had been played in by ex-Town man David Norris.
Lee Martin and Michael Chopra both missed from close range as Ipswich lost for the first time in five games.
Diouf, who signed a new 18-month deal on Friday, had United's first chance as he collected Green's chipped pass but was denied by Henderson.
Leeds have now won 1,500 matches in league football
But there was nothing the Ipswich goalkeeper could do as Leeds took the lead. Thomas, returning to the side after a hamstring injury, scored from inside the six-yard box.
Luciano Becchio had a couple of chances to make it 2-0 but headed over from Sam Byram's cross and then had a shot saved by Henderson after another Byram pass.
The Leeds fans had to wait until the second half to extend their advantage and it came from a defensive error from Bradley Orr.
He failed to deal with Alan Tate's clearance and Diouf released Norris, who played in Thomas and his cross was powered home by Green.
Ipswich, who had won their last three matches and five of their last eight games since Mick McCarthy became manager, should have pulled a goal back late on but Martin and Chopra wasted chances.
The victory, Leeds' fourth in five games, takes United up to 12th, while Ipswich are 20th, five points above the relegation zone.
Leeds United manager Neil Warnock said:
"I am still trying to get Jerome fit enough to play a full 90 minutes.
"It is more important to me that he plays against Middlesbrough next Saturday than Chelsea [in the Capital One Cup quarter-final] on Wednesday, so we will have to see. Knowing Jerome, he will want to play against Chelsea.
"I won't play my full team and I am sure Chelsea won't, but they have more players they can rest than we have. I am sure it will be competitive, whatever team I put out."
Ipswich Town manager Mick McCarthy told BBC Radio Suffolk:
"The goal we gave away from the corner kick really disappointed me and that put us on the back foot.
"Luciano Becchio had a great chance just before half-time and I don't know how he missed.
"But I thought we were the best team in the second half but that doesn't mean anything as we got beaten.
"We didn't have that bit of quality and their second goal was a piece of beauty.
"It looks like it was a comfortable win for them but it was anything but and even at 2-0 down we had some great chances."
Live text and stats
Saturday, 15 December 2012
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 01 Kenny
- 02 Peltier
- 04 Lees
- 15 Tate
- 07 Green
- 09 Thomas (Brown 84)
- 18 Tonge
- 19 Norris yellow card
- 25 Byram
- 10 Becchio (Varney 90+1)
- 21 Diouf (McCormack 81)
- 12 Ashdown,
- 05 Pearce,
- 11 Varney,
- 14 White,
- 17 Brown,
- 30 Hall,
- 44 McCormack
- 13 Henderson
- 03 Cresswell
- 04 Chambers
- 20 Smith
- 24 Orr (Hewitt 85)
- 07 Edwards
- 08 N'daw
- 11 Martin
- 17 Drury
- 05 Campbell (Chopra 62)
- 27 Murphy (Emmanuel-Thomas 73)
- 01 Loach,
- 02 Hewitt,
- 06 Higginbotham,
- 21 Bilel,
- 09 Emmanuel-Thomas,
- 23 Reo-Coker,
- 10 Chopra
- Leeds United 48%
- Ipswich 52%
Attempts on target
- Leeds United 5
- Ipswich 3
Attempts off target
- Leeds United 4
- Ipswich 3
- Leeds United 5
- Ipswich 5
- Leeds United 7
- Ipswich 11
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+4:25 The referee ends the match.
- 90:00+2:29 Andy Drury challenges Michael Tonge unfairly and gives away a free kick. Lee Peltier restarts play with the free kick.
- 90:00+0:22 Substitution Luke Varney is brought on as a substitute for Luciano Becchio.
- 86:47 Free kick awarded for a foul by Andy Drury on Ross McCormack. Direct free kick taken by Michael Brown.
- 85:26 Ross McCormack takes a outswinging corner from the right by-line played to the near post, Guirane N'Daw makes a clearance.
- 84:33 Substitution Elliott Hewitt comes on in place of Bradley Orr.
- 83:06 Patrick Kenny takes the free kick.
- 83:06 Substitution Michael Brown is brought on as a substitute for Jerome Thomas.
- 83:06 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on David Norris by Jay Emmanuel-Thomas.
- 81:36 Michael Chopra takes a shot. Save made by Patrick Kenny.
- 80:22 Substitution Ross McCormack is brought on as a substitute for El-Hadji Diouf.
- 79:50 Outswinging corner taken by Lee Martin, Jay Emmanuel-Thomas takes a shot. Save by Patrick Kenny.
- 79:25 Lee Martin takes a shot. Save by Patrick Kenny.
- 78:56 Booking David Norris goes into the book for unsporting behaviour.
- 78:49 Carlos Edwards fouled by David Norris, the ref awards a free kick. Free kick taken by Andy Drury.
- 73:42 Paul Green is ruled offside. Stephen Henderson takes the indirect free kick.
- 73:13 Guirane N'Daw challenges Paul Green unfairly and gives away a free kick. Indirect free kick taken by Patrick Kenny.
- 72:14 Substitution Jay Emmanuel-Thomas joins the action as a substitute, replacing Daryl Murphy.
- 72:14 Free kick awarded for a foul by David Norris on Lee Martin. Stephen Henderson takes the indirect free kick.
- 70:10 Tom Lees concedes a free kick for a foul on Daryl Murphy. Aaron Cresswell takes the indirect free kick.
- 67:54 Assist on the goal came from Jerome Thomas.
- 67:54 GOAL - Paul Green:Leeds United 2 - 0 Ipswich Paul Green scores a goal from inside the box to the top right corner of the goal. Leeds 2-0 Ipswich.
- 65:15 The referee blows for offside. Indirect free kick taken by Patrick Kenny.
- 64:41 David Norris concedes a free kick for a foul on Andy Drury. Aaron Cresswell restarts play with the free kick.
- 61:34 Inswinging corner taken right-footed by El-Hadji Diouf from the left by-line, Stephen Henderson makes a save.
- 61:18 Substitution Michael Chopra on for DJ Campbell.
- 59:40 Luciano Becchio handles the ball and concedes a free kick. Indirect free kick taken by Luke Chambers.
- 55:27 The official flags Jerome Thomas offside. Stephen Henderson takes the free kick.
- 49:26 The ball is crossed by El-Hadji Diouf, save by Stephen Henderson.
- 47:57 El-Hadji Diouf produces a right-footed shot from close in that goes over the bar.
- 47:33 Luciano Becchio takes a shot. Stephen Henderson makes a save.
- 46:49 DJ Campbell concedes a free kick for a foul on Alan Tate. Patrick Kenny restarts play with the free kick.
- 45:01 The match restarts for the second half.
- Half Time
- 45:00+2:12 The match has reached half-time.
- 44:51 David Norris gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Andy Drury. Luke Chambers takes the indirect free kick.
- 44:09 Tommy Smith gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Alan Tate. Free kick taken by Patrick Kenny.
- 43:45 Outswinging corner taken by Lee Martin from the left by-line.
- 43:21 Carlos Edwards takes a shot. Lee Peltier gets a block in.
- 40:24 A cross is delivered by Samuel Byram, Luciano Becchio has a headed effort from close range and clears the bar.
- 39:23 Unfair challenge on Luciano Becchio by Tommy Smith results in a free kick. Indirect free kick taken by Alan Tate.
- 38:13 The assistant referee signals for offside against DJ Campbell. Indirect free kick taken by Patrick Kenny.
- 36:48 Lee Martin decides to take the corner short.
- 34:03 Lee Martin takes the inswinging corner, save by Patrick Kenny.
- 33:16 DJ Campbell is ruled offside. Indirect free kick taken by Patrick Kenny.
- 32:25 Corner taken right-footed by Lee Martin to the near post, Michael Tonge manages to make a clearance.
- 31:56 Lee Martin takes a shot. Alan Tate gets a block in.
- 28:19 Bradley Orr gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Jerome Thomas. Tom Lees takes the free kick.
- 27:19 Guirane N'Daw fouled by El-Hadji Diouf, the ref awards a free kick. Free kick taken by Stephen Henderson.
- 23:51 Jerome Thomas fouled by Bradley Orr, the ref awards a free kick. Free kick crossed by El-Hadji Diouf, Stephen Henderson makes a save.
- 22:26 Centre by Michael Tonge, Luciano Becchio takes a shot. Blocked by Luke Chambers.
- 18:14 Luciano Becchio provided the assist for the goal.
- 18:14 GOAL - Jerome Thomas:Leeds United 1 - 0 Ipswich Goal scored by Jerome Thomas from inside the six-yard box to the bottom left corner of the goal. Leeds 1-0 Ipswich.
- 17:40 Outswinging corner taken right-footed by El-Hadji Diouf from the right by-line,
- 15:42 El-Hadji Diouf concedes a free kick for a foul on Luke Chambers. Free kick taken by Bradley Orr.
- 15:13 El-Hadji Diouf takes a shot. Stephen Henderson makes a save.
- 14:17 The official flags Andy Drury offside. Patrick Kenny takes the free kick.
- 12:53 El-Hadji Diouf takes a outswinging corner from the right by-line played to the near post, clearance by Guirane N'Daw.
- 12:15 Free kick awarded for a foul by Bradley Orr on Jerome Thomas. El-Hadji Diouf takes the direct free kick.
- 10:19 Aaron Cresswell takes a shot from just outside the penalty area clears the crossbar.
- 9:10 The ball is sent over by El-Hadji Diouf, save by Stephen Henderson.
- 8:01 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on David Norris by Guirane N'Daw. Tom Lees restarts play with the free kick.
- 7:05 Corner taken right-footed by El-Hadji Diouf from the right by-line to the near post, Close range header by Tom Lees goes over the crossbar.
- 6:33 El-Hadji Diouf takes a shot.
- 0:00 The game gets underway.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.