Brighton 2 - 2 Millwall
David Lopez's late penalty salvaged a point for Brighton as they came back from 2-0 down to draw with Millwall.
The Spaniard stroked home from the spot in the 88th minute after Craig Mackail-Smith was felled by Mark Beevers.
Two goals from Chris Wood - the first an instinctive close-range finish, the second a superb 30-yard drive - had put the visitors in control.
Kazenga LuaLua's fierce drive halved the deficit before Lopez dramatically levelled the Championship clash.
The point keeps Brighton within three points of sixth-placed Millwall and level with Watford in seventh, but having played a game more.
However, Albion remain winless from four games in December, having now drawn their last three.
They looked to be heading for defeat as on-loan striker Wood demonstrated why both Seagulls boss Gus Poyet and Lions manager Kenny Jackett are keen to sign him permanently from West Brom in January.
The 21-year-old, who was without usual strike-partner Andy Keogh after he broke a toe in the warm-up, put Millwall ahead in the 26th minute with a neat close-range finish from a Shane Lowry cross.
Brighton twice came close to an equaliser either side of half-time, but were denied by the woodwork on both occasions as Gordon Greer's looping header came back off the crossbar and Lopez struck the post with a free-kick.
Wood doubled Millwall's advantage in stunning style just before the hour, cutting across the penalty area and curling a superb shot into the top corner for his 10th goal in 18 appearances this season.
Brighton pulled one back in the 61st minute when first-half substitute LuaLua turned inside and thumped a fierce drive through a crowd of players and past Lions keeper David Forde.
The Seagulls thought they had levelled when Adam El-Abd prodded the ball goalwards from a yard out but Lowry somehow hacked it off the goal-line.
But they were not to be denied and after Mackail-Smith was tripped in the box, Lopez did the rest.
Millwall boss Kenny Jackett on www.millwallfc.co.uk: "I thought it was an excellent performance by ourselves.
"We played very well and gave them problems, particularly early on in the game.
"We surprised Brighton, but the pressure was always going to come and it was a 50-50 penalty decision right at the end."
Brighton manager Gus Poyet: "He [Chris Wood] is the kind of player we would like to bring in,
"He's only 21 and I feel he will be a top, top player. When he was with us on loan he was a baby but now he is maturing. He's a man now.
"He's clinical and brave and we have played a part in helping him on his way."
Live text and stats
Tuesday, 18 December 2012
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 29 Kuszczak
- 03 Greer
- 05 Dunk (LuaLua 39)
- 06 El-Abd yellow card
- 28 Bridge
- 04 Hammond
- 08 Crofts (Barnes 66)
- 21 David Lopez
- 26 Bridcutt (Hoskins 77)
- 30 Buckley
- 12 Mackail-Smith
- 01 Brezovan,
- 17 Harley,
- 25 LuaLua,
- 37 March,
- 07 Hoskins,
- 09 Barnes,
- 10 Dobbie
- 01 Forde
- 03 Shittu
- 12 Lowry yellow card
- 16 Beevers yellow card
- 21 Smith
- 25 Smith yellow card
- 04 Wright
- 06 Trotter
- 14 Henry yellow card
- 19 C Taylor (Feeney 51)
- 39 Wood (Henderson 88)
- 33 M Taylor,
- 27 Osborne,
- 28 Malone,
- 15 Feeney,
- 07 Henderson,
- 11 Batt,
- 22 N'Guessan
- Brighton 51%
- Millwall 49%
Attempts on target
- Brighton 2
- Millwall 4
Attempts off target
- Brighton 7
- Millwall 2
- Brighton 9
- Millwall 3
- Brighton 7
- Millwall 15
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+5:20 The referee ends the match.
- 90:00+2:53 Will Hoskins takes a shot. Save by David Forde.
- 90:00+1:22 Josh Wright gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Ashley Barnes. Ashley Barnes restarts play with the free kick.
- 90:00+0:07 Corner taken right-footed by Moreno David Lopez, Liam Trotter manages to make a clearance.
- 89:31 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Will Hoskins by Josh Wright. Direct free kick taken by Gordon Greer.
- 88:00 Substitution Chris Wood goes off and Darius Henderson comes on.
- 87:44 GOAL - Moreno David Lopez:Brighton 2 - 2 Millwall Moreno David Lopez scores a placed penalty. Brighton 2-2 Millwall.
- 86:22 Mark Beevers concedes a Penalty for a foul on Craig Mackail-Smith.
- 84:35 Outswinging corner taken right-footed by Moreno David Lopez from the right by-line, clearance by Liam Trotter.
- 83:21 Adam Smith concedes a free kick for a foul on Ashley Barnes. The free kick is swung in right-footed by Moreno David Lopez, clearance by Adam Smith.
- 81:49 Outswinging corner taken from the right by-line by James Henry.
- 79:21 Booking Adam Smith is booked.
- 77:34 Outswinging corner taken by James Henry from the left by-line played to the near post, Craig Mackail-Smith makes a clearance.
- 77:10 Shane Lowry takes a shot. Blocked by Adam El-Abd.
- 76:10 Substitution Will Hoskins on for Liam Bridcutt.
- 75:29 Moreno David Lopez takes a outswinging corner to the near post, Mark Beevers manages to make a clearance.
- 74:43 Free kick crossed by Moreno David Lopez, clearance by Danny Shittu.
- 74:43 Booking Booking for Shane Lowry for unsporting behaviour.
- 74:21 Shane Lowry challenges Liam Bridcutt unfairly and gives away a free kick.
- 72:07 Unfair challenge on Liam Trotter by Liam Bridcutt results in a free kick. The free kick is delivered right-footed by James Henry from left channel, Tomasz Kuszczak makes a comfortable save.
- 71:44 Free kick awarded for a foul by Josh Wright on Wayne Bridge. Free kick taken by Adam El-Abd.
- 68:42 The free kick is swung in right-footed by Moreno David Lopez, clearance made by Danny Shittu.
- 68:42 Booking James Henry is given a yellow card.
- 68:34 Free kick awarded for a foul by James Henry on Kazenga LuaLua.
- 67:49 Free kick awarded for a foul by Danny Shittu on Craig Mackail-Smith. Liam Bridcutt restarts play with the free kick.
- 67:10 Effort on goal by Kazenga LuaLua from long range goes harmlessly over the target.
- 65:25 Substitution Andrew Crofts leaves the field to be replaced by Ashley Barnes.
- 65:07 Effort from deep inside the area by Liam Feeney misses to the right of the target.
- 63:43 Liam Bridcutt concedes a free kick for a foul on Josh Wright. Free kick taken by David Forde.
- 60:53 Assist by Will Buckley.
- 60:53 GOAL - Kazenga LuaLua:Brighton 1 - 2 Millwall Kazenga LuaLua grabs a goal from long range to the bottom right corner of the goal. Brighton 1-2 Millwall.
- 60:02 Unfair challenge on Josh Wright by Andrew Crofts results in a free kick. Free kick taken by Jack Smith.
- 56:51 GOAL - Chris Wood:Brighton 0 - 2 Millwall Chris Wood gets on the score sheet with a goal from long distance to the top left corner of the goal. Brighton 0-2 Millwall.
- 54:19 Liam Trotter gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Andrew Crofts. Shot on goal comes in from Moreno David Lopez from the free kick.
- 53:45 Unfair challenge on Craig Mackail-Smith by Adam Smith results in a free kick. Liam Bridcutt takes the free kick.
- 52:13 Unfair challenge on Tomasz Kuszczak by Chris Wood results in a free kick. Tomasz Kuszczak takes the direct free kick.
- 50:20 Outswinging corner taken right-footed by Moreno David Lopez, David Forde makes a save.
- 50:20 Substitution Chris Taylor leaves the field to be replaced by Liam Feeney.
- 49:46 Short corner worked by Will Buckley.
- 47:43 Adam El-Abd fouled by Chris Wood, the ref awards a free kick. Direct effort from the free kick comes in from Adam El-Abd.
- Correction - 47:13 Effort from long distance by Liam Bridcutt goes wide right of the target.
- 47:13 Liam Bridcutt produces a right-footed shot from long distance which goes wide right of the goal.
- 45:01 The match restarts for the second half.
- Half Time
- 45:00+4:03 The players leave the pitch at half time.
- 45:00+1:18 Corner taken right-footed by Moreno David Lopez from the left by-line, comfortable save by David Forde.
- 43:49 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Liam Trotter by Dean Hammond. Mark Beevers takes the free kick.
- 41:22 Free kick taken by Josh Wright.
- 41:22 Booking Adam El-Abd booked.
- 41:15 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Chris Wood by Adam El-Abd.
- 40:34 Liam Trotter has a headed effort at goal from deep inside the area missing to the right of the goal.
- 38:30 Adam El-Abd takes the free kick.
- 38:30 Substitution Lewis Dunk leaves the field to be replaced by Kazenga LuaLua.
- 38:30 Chris Wood gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Gordon Greer.
- 36:59 Corner from right by-line taken by Moreno David Lopez.
- 33:59 Long range shot from Dean Hammond misses to the left of the target.
- Correction - 30:09 The ball is sent over by Moreno David Lopez, Gordon Greer produces a header from inside the six-yard box that clears the bar.
- 30:09 Centre by Moreno David Lopez, Headed effort from deep inside the penalty area by Gordon Greer goes harmlessly over the crossbar.
- 30:09 Booking The referee shows Mark Beevers a yellow card.
- Correction - 30:06 Free kick awarded for a foul by Mark Beevers on Craig Mackail-Smith.
- 30:06 Mark Beevers challenges Craig Mackail-Smith unfairly and gives away a free kick.
- 24:55 Adam Smith provided the assist for the goal.
- 24:55 GOAL - Chris Wood:Brighton 0 - 1 Millwall A goal is scored by Chris Wood from inside the six-yard box to the bottom right corner of the goal. Brighton 0-1 Millwall.
- 20:59 Corner from the left by-line taken by James Henry, save by Tomasz Kuszczak.
- 19:51 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Craig Mackail-Smith by Mark Beevers. Moreno David Lopez takes the direct free kick.
- 18:22 Andrew Crofts concedes a free kick for a foul on Adam Smith. James Henry delivers the ball from the free kick right-footed from right channel.
- 14:15 Moreno David Lopez takes a inswinging corner from the left by-line to the near post, Close range headed effort by Will Buckley goes wide of the left-hand post.
- 12:47 Gordon Greer concedes a free kick for a foul on Liam Trotter. Free kick crossed right-footed by James Henry from right channel, Gordon Greer makes a clearance.
- 11:37 Corner taken right-footed by Moreno David Lopez from the right by-line to the near post, David Forde makes a save.
- 0:48 Liam Trotter takes a shot. Save by Tomasz Kuszczak.
- 0:00 The game kicks-off.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.