Crystal Palace 1 - 1 Huddersfield
Crystal Palace lost ground on leaders Cardiff as Huddersfield prised a point away from the ten-men Eagles.
Wilfried Zaha's ferocious strike gave the hosts the lead despite their loss of Damien Delaney to a red card for an ugly challenge on Jermaine Beckford.
Adam Clayton had a weak penalty was smothered by Palace's Julian Speroni, but the visitors' pressure told when Keith Southern's shot squirmed in.
Anthony Gerrard was sent off late on as the match finished ten-a-side.
The draw means that Palace are replaced in the top two by in-form Hull City, but for a large part of the match they were on course to keep pace with Cardiff at the top.
Delaney's reckless, knee-high tackle on Beckford put Palace at a numerical disadvantage, and they looked set to slip behind when Eagles old boy Sean Scannell was felled in the area by Joel Ward.
Clayton's spot-kick lacked any conviction, however, and Speroni dropped to his right to keep it out with ease.
The Palace goalkeeper was called upon again soon after, making a better save to keep out Beckford's effort.
Then Palace emerged from under the cosh to take the lead as Yannick Bolasie's cute backheel released Zaha to lash an explosive shot into the roof of the net.
Palace kept Huddersfield at bay for much of the second half but Speroni's previously faultless display was ruined when he allowed Southern's shot to slip through his gloves with 16 minutes left.
Any hopes Huddersfield had of pushing on for a winner were dented though as Gerrard's sliding tackle on Bolasie prompted referee Graham Scott to brandish a second straight red card.
Palace manager Ian Holloway on Delaney's red card: "I thought he [the referee] was so quick to make a decision and I've seen the angle. It wasn't reckless or dangerous play and he wasn't the last man. I just can't believe how quickly, from that angle, that he made that decision. That's a three-match ban.
"If he's going to say that Delaney was the last man and he's brought him down then I could accept that, but for a reckless challenge, not trying to play the ball? I don't agree. But who am I? I'm just the Palace manager. I might be biased, mightn't I?"
Huddersfield manager Simon Grayson: "You're happy to get a point when you come down to Crystal Palace, a team who are flying at this moment in time. But when you look back and reflect on the game, we had some good opportunities. Their 'keeper made some fantastic saves and we had an opportunity to score from the penalty.
"Anthony Gerrard's sending-off? Not from where I was and not from what I've seen on the TV. He didn't jump in and he didn't lead with two feet, so I think he [the referee] has got that decision wrong."
Live text and stats
Saturday, 22 December 2012
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 01 Speroni
- 02 Ward (Moxey 53)
- 27 Delaney red card
- 28 Ramage
- 04 Parr
- 07 Bolasie (Moritz 82)
- 08 Dikgacoi
- 10 Garvan (Gabbidon 15)
- 15 Jedinak
- 16 Zaha
- 17 Murray
- 34 Price,
- 21 Moxey,
- 33 Gabbidon,
- 22 O'Keefe,
- 30 Moritz,
- 19 Easter,
- 24 Appiah
- 01 Smithies
- 02 Woods yellow card
- 06 Gerrard red card
- 32 Hunt yellow card
- 33 Lynch yellow card
- 04 Norwood (Hammill 46)
- 08 Clayton
- 24 Southern
- 07 Scannell (Ward 71)
- 18 Vaughan (P Clarke 81)
- 21 Beckford
- 13 Bennett,
- 03 Dixon,
- 05 P Clarke,
- 11 Ward,
- 14 Hammill,
- 31 Atkinson,
- 20 Church
- Crystal Palace 50%
- Huddersfield 50%
Attempts on target
- Crystal Palace 1
- Huddersfield 4
Attempts off target
- Crystal Palace 3
- Huddersfield 1
- Crystal Palace 4
- Huddersfield 8
- Crystal Palace 10
- Huddersfield 13
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+4:20 The match has reached full-time.
- 90:00+1:52 Unfair challenge on Jack Hunt by Kagisho Dikgacoi results in a free kick. Jack Hunt takes the direct free kick.
- 89:55 Unfair challenge on Jack Hunt by Peter Ramage results in a free kick. Free kick crossed right-footed by Adam Clayton from right channel, Peter Ramage makes a clearance.
- 87:38 The offside flag is raised against Adam Hammill. Direct free kick taken by Peter Ramage.
- 86:44 Jack Hunt challenges Wilfried Zaha unfairly and gives away a free kick.
- 86:30 Julian Speroni takes the free kick.
- 86:30 Booking Jack Hunt receives a yellow card.
- 81:46 Substitution Andre Moritz on for Yannick Bolasie.
- 80:45 Substitution Peter Clarke replaces James Vaughan.
- 79:41 Peter Ramage takes the direct free kick.
- 79:41 Sent off Anthony Gerrard is sent off by the referee for violent conduct.
- 79:28 Yannick Bolasie fouled by Anthony Gerrard, the ref awards a free kick.
- 74:15 Daniel Ward provided the assist for the goal. Corner from right by-line taken by Adam Hammill.
- 74:15 GOAL - Keith Southern:Crystal Palace 1 - 1 Huddersfield Keith Southern grabs a goal from deep inside the penalty box to the bottom right corner of the goal. Crystal Palace 1-1 Huddersfield.
- 73:46 Corner taken by Daniel Ward,
- 71:11 Dean Moxey is adjudged to have handled the ball. Julian Speroni takes the direct free kick.
- 70:00 Julian Speroni takes the free kick.
- 70:00 Substitution Sean Scannell goes off and Daniel Ward comes on.
- 70:00 Free kick awarded for a foul by Adam Hammill on Wilfried Zaha.
- 66:26 The offside flag is raised against Wilfried Zaha. Alex Smithies takes the indirect free kick.
- 63:28 Jack Hunt fouled by Kagisho Dikgacoi, the ref awards a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Anthony Gerrard.
- 62:51 Corner taken by Adam Hammill from the right by-line, Dean Moxey manages to make a clearance.
- 62:07 Adam Clayton fouled by Glenn Murray, the ref awards a free kick. Jack Hunt restarts play with the free kick.
- 60:18 Unfair challenge on Calum Woods by Yannick Bolasie results in a free kick. Alex Smithies takes the free kick.
- 58:53 Mile Jedinak has an effort at goal from just inside the box that misses to the left of the target.
- 58:16 Unfair challenge on Sean Scannell by Kagisho Dikgacoi results in a free kick. Adam Hammill takes the direct free kick.
- 57:28 Outswinging corner taken right-footed by Yannick Bolasie.
- Correction - 52:39 Substitution Dean Moxey is brought on as a substitute for Joel Ward.
- 52:39 Substitution Dean Moxey is brought on as a substitute for Joel Ward.
- 51:13 Free kick crossed by Yannick Bolasie, clearance by Jack Hunt.
- 51:13 Booking The referee books Joel Lynch for unsporting behaviour.
- 51:03 Joel Lynch challenges Yannick Bolasie unfairly and gives away a free kick.
- 49:28 Corner taken by Adam Hammill from the left by-line.
- 48:31 James Vaughan takes a shot.
- 46:34 Inswinging corner taken by Adam Clayton from the left by-line.
- 46:07 Unfair challenge on Adam Hammill by Mile Jedinak results in a free kick. Adam Clayton takes the direct free kick.
- 45:01 The game restarts for the second half.
- 45:01 Substitution Adam Hammill comes on in place of Oliver Norwood.
- Half Time
- 45:00+3:13 The match has reached half-time.
- 45:00+2:50 Outswinging corner taken by Keith Southern from the right by-line played to the near post.
- 45:00+2:32 Adam Clayton takes a shot. Julian Speroni makes a save.
- 44:52 Corner from right by-line taken by Yannick Bolasie.
- 42:24 Outswinging corner taken from the right by-line by Yannick Bolasie.
- 40:34 James Vaughan gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Mile Jedinak. Julian Speroni takes the direct free kick.
- 38:48 The assist for the goal came from Yannick Bolasie.
- 38:48 GOAL - Wilfried Zaha:Crystal Palace 1 - 0 Huddersfield Wilfried Zaha scores a goal from just inside the area high into the middle of the goal. Crystal Palace 1-0 Huddersfield.
- 37:53 Unfair challenge on Glenn Murray by Joel Lynch results in a free kick. Free kick crossed by Yannick Bolasie, Joel Lynch makes a clearance.
- 37:05 The referee blows for offside. Julian Speroni takes the direct free kick.
- 35:25 Anthony Gerrard gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Yannick Bolasie. The free kick is swung in right-footed by Yannick Bolasie, clearance made by Adam Clayton.
- 32:00 Oliver Norwood concedes a free kick for a foul on Mile Jedinak. Mile Jedinak restarts play with the free kick.
- 29:27 Unfair challenge on Julian Speroni by James Vaughan results in a free kick. Free kick taken by Julian Speroni.
- 25:07 Foul by James Vaughan on Mile Jedinak, free kick awarded. Mile Jedinak takes the direct free kick.
- 23:55 Corner taken right-footed by Yannick Bolasie from the left by-line, Sean Scannell manages to make a clearance.
- 22:13 Oliver Norwood takes a corner.
- 21:56 Jermaine Beckford takes a shot. Julian Speroni makes a save.
- 18:58 A save by Julian Speroni from penalty by Adam Clayton. Crystal Palace 0-0 Huddersfield.
- 17:52 Penalty awarded for a foul by Joel Ward on Sean Scannell.
- 16:23 The referee blows for offside. Julian Speroni takes the free kick.
- 14:24 Substitution Daniel Gabbidon is brought on as a substitute for Owen Garvan.
- 13:24 Unfair challenge on Peter Ramage by James Vaughan results in a free kick. Julian Speroni takes the free kick.
- 10:56 Oliver Norwood takes the direct free kick.
- 10:56 Sent off Damien Delaney is sent off by the referee for professional foul.
- 10:49 Foul by Damien Delaney on Jermaine Beckford, free kick awarded.
- 9:53 James Vaughan challenges Joel Ward unfairly and gives away a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Julian Speroni.
- 9:06 Foul by Jonathan Parr on Jack Hunt, free kick awarded. Alex Smithies takes the direct free kick.
- 6:27 Owen Garvan has an effort at goal from just inside the box that misses to the right of the target.
- 5:40 Mile Jedinak has shot on goal from just outside the penalty box which goes wide of the right-hand upright.
- 2:36 Inswinging corner taken right-footed by Oliver Norwood, clearance by Damien Delaney.
- 2:21 Jermaine Beckford takes a shot. Julian Speroni makes a save.
- 1:58 Booking The referee books Calum Woods for unsporting behaviour.
- 0:32 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Yannick Bolasie by Calum Woods. Mile Jedinak restarts play with the free kick.
- 0:00 The game kicks-off.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.