Birmingham 2 - 2 Burnley
Nikola Zigic's 89th-minute equaliser salvaged a point for a youthful Birmingham in their Championship match against Burnley at St Andrew's.
The hosts went ahead when Curtis Davies headed home a Robert Hall free-kick.
Burnley's Charlie Austin saw a header disallowed, but they were level when Danny Ings took a superb touch and fired home from close range.
Ross Wallace converted a stunning free-kick to put the visitors ahead, only for Zigic to strike from 12 yards.
It ensured a point apiece for two struggling sides, who have now won just one of their last eight games respectively.
City manager Lee Clark was hampered severely by injury and suspension, most notably the loss of 13-goal top scorer Marlon King.
His side's inexperience, especially in the full-back positions, showed in the early stages as Ings and Chris McCann both threatened before Martin Paterson was denied by goalkeeper Jack Butland.
But Birmingham got a grip on proceedings and took the lead, Hall crossing for defender Davies to nod in after a foul by Joseph Mills on the right.
Michael Duff might have levelled but fired over the bar from close range after Butland parried Dean Marney's header.
Austin had the ball in the net when he converted Kieran Trippier's cross, but play had been halted for a late foul on Trippier.
However, Burnley deservedly equalised through Ings and, straight from the kick-off, Davies conceded a free-kick on the edge of the area that Wallace scored from to make it 2-1.
But Birmingham pushed late on and their reward came through Zigic.
Birmingham manager Lee Clark: "We deserved the draw, with the youngsters putting up a spirited performance. That was our best first half at home for many games. There were a couple of situations Burnley had in the early part of the game, but we dealt with that and we deservedly took the lead.
"Then there was a mad couple of minutes in the second half when Burnley scored twice. They had a spell for 25 minutes but we switched from doing the basic things. To give away the ball from the restart gave them an opportunity. We were fully aware that Ross Wallace has a terrific delivery and I don't think many goalkeepers would have stopped that free-kick."
Burnley manager Sean Dyche: "It is the madness of football. I told the lads that we are overdue a win. We need the rub of the green. In this match it went Birmingham's way. We have only lost one in six games but we have had four draws.
"We have to challenge to turn those performances into wins. I thought the lads deserved a win because it was a thorough performance. The style of play and the way they delivered it was excellent."
Live text and stats
Saturday, 22 December 2012
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 01 Butland
- 04 Caldwell
- 06 Davies yellow card
- 24 Packwood
- 27 Hancox yellow card
- 08 Mullins yellow card
- 12 Morrison yellow card (Burke 71)
- 22 Redmond
- 33 Reilly
- 19 Zigic
- 29 Hall (Elliott 76)
- 13 Doyle,
- 05 Pablo,
- 31 Delfouneso,
- 07 Burke,
- 14 Gomis,
- 15 Elliott,
- 34 Hawker
- 01 Grant
- 02 Trippier
- 04 Duff
- 05 Shackell
- 18 Mills yellow card
- 06 McCann yellow card
- 07 Wallace
- 08 Marney (Vokes 90+1)
- 10 Paterson (Treacy 63)
- 14 Ings (Bartley 88)
- 23 Austin
- 12 Jensen,
- 15 Edgar,
- 28 Long,
- 11 Stanislas,
- 20 Bartley,
- 26 Treacy,
- 09 Vokes
- Birmingham 50%
- Burnley 50%
Attempts on target
- Birmingham 7
- Burnley 3
Attempts off target
- Birmingham 3
- Burnley 7
- Birmingham 10
- Burnley 2
- Birmingham 8
- Burnley 7
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+5:33 The final whistle is blown by the referee.
- 90:00+4:32 Centre by Christopher Burke, clearance by Kieran Trippier.
- 90:00+0:51 Direct free kick taken by Jack Butland.
- 90:00+0:51 Substitution Dean Marney leaves the field to be replaced by Sam Vokes.
- 90:00+0:51 Curtis Davies fouled by Charlie Austin, the ref awards a free kick.
- 88:34 GOAL - Nikola Zigic:Birmingham 2 - 2 Burnley Nikola Zigic scores a goal from inside the penalty area to the bottom right corner of the goal. Birmingham 2-2 Burnley.
- 86:45 Substitution Marvin Bartley replaces Danny Ings.
- 86:45 Wade Elliott takes a outswinging corner.
- 86:13 Short corner taken by Wade Elliott from the left by-line, The ball is sent over by Nathan Redmond, Joseph Mills manages to make a clearance.
- 85:02 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Jason Shackell by Nathan Redmond. Free kick taken by Lee Grant.
- 84:01 Christopher Burke takes a shot. Save by Lee Grant.
- 83:48 The ball is sent over by Christopher Burke, clearance by Michael Duff.
- 83:06 Will Packwood crosses the ball, clearance by Jason Shackell.
- 82:41 Mitch Hancox sends in a cross, clearance by Jason Shackell.
- 81:31 Corner from the left by-line taken by Wade Elliott, save made by Lee Grant.
- 80:12 The official flags Dean Marney offside. Indirect free kick taken by Jack Butland.
- 79:32 Ross Wallace fouled by Hayden Mullins, the ref awards a free kick. Kieran Trippier takes the free kick.
- 77:55 Mitch Hancox produces a cross, Lee Grant makes a brilliant save.
- 77:40 Wade Elliott produces a cross.
- 75:32 Substitution Wade Elliott comes on in place of Robert Hall.
- 75:03 Inswinging corner taken by Robert Hall from the right by-line, clearance by Michael Duff.
- 74:39 Free kick awarded for a foul by Dean Marney on Robert Hall. Direct free kick taken by Steven Caldwell.
- 73:24 Free kick taken by Michael Duff.
- 73:24 Booking The referee cautions Hayden Mullins for unsporting behaviour.
- 73:13 Foul by Hayden Mullins on Dean Marney, free kick awarded.
- 72:11 Right-footed shot by Charlie Austin went wide of the right-hand post.
- 70:23 Substitution Ravel Morrison goes off and Christopher Burke comes on.
- 70:23 Nikola Zigic is caught offside. Lee Grant takes the indirect free kick.
- 69:19 Centre by Keith Treacy, save made by Jack Butland.
- 68:49 The referee penalises Nikola Zigic for handball. Lee Grant restarts play with the free kick.
- 67:40 GOAL - Ross Wallace:Birmingham 1 - 2 Burnley Free kick scored by Ross Wallace from outside the penalty box to the top left corner of the goal. Birmingham 1-2 Burnley.
- 66:55 Booking Curtis Davies is given a yellow card.
- 66:45 Danny Ings fouled by Curtis Davies, the ref awards a free kick.
- 65:44 GOAL - Danny Ings:Birmingham 1 - 1 Burnley A goal is scored by Danny Ings from inside the six-yard box to the bottom left corner of the goal. Birmingham 1-1 Burnley.
- 63:47 Shot by Danny Ings from outside the box goes high over the crossbar.
- 62:43 Substitution Keith Treacy on for Martin Paterson.
- 62:43 Hayden Mullins concedes a free kick for a foul on Danny Ings. Keith Treacy restarts play with the free kick.
- 60:46 Foul by Charlie Austin on Curtis Davies, free kick awarded. Free kick taken by Hayden Mullins.
- 59:56 The assistant referee signals for offside against Martin Paterson. Indirect free kick taken by Jack Butland.
- 58:56 Corner taken right-footed by Nathan Redmond to the near post, Close range header by Nikola Zigic goes over the bar.
- 56:22 Ross Wallace delivers the ball from the free kick left-footed from right wing, comfortable save by Jack Butland.
- 56:22 Booking Booking for Mitch Hancox for unsporting behaviour.
- 56:11 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Kieran Trippier by Mitch Hancox.
- 52:04 The offside flag is raised against Charlie Austin. Free kick taken by Jack Butland.
- 51:49 Centre by Kieran Trippier, clearance made by Hayden Mullins.
- 50:29 Charlie Austin is flagged offside by the assistant referee. Jack Butland takes the free kick.
- 49:53 Booking Caution for Ravel Morrison.
- 49:33 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Charlie Austin by Steven Caldwell. Kieran Trippier takes the direct free kick.
- 48:53 Shot by Nathan Redmond from deep inside the penalty area misses to the right of the goal.
- 48:26 Kieran Trippier sends in a cross. The ball is delivered by Charlie Austin, clearance made by Steven Caldwell.
- 45:01 The second half begins.
- Half Time
- 45:00+3:43 The whistle is blown to end the first half.
- 45:00+2:14 Shot by Robert Hall. Save by Lee Grant. Inswinging corner taken by Robert Hall.
- 44:30 Nathan Redmond delivers the ball, clearance made by Dean Marney.
- 43:31 Nathan Redmond takes a shot. Lee Grant makes a save. Inswinging corner taken right-footed by Nathan Redmond played to the near post, clearance made by Kieran Trippier.
- 43:10 The ball is delivered by Will Packwood, Jason Shackell makes a clearance.
- 41:53 Ross Wallace has an effort at goal from just outside the box which goes wide of the right-hand upright.
- 41:29 Centre by Dean Marney, save by Jack Butland.
- 39:52 Joseph Mills sends in a cross. Handball decision goes against Charlie Austin. Jack Butland restarts play with the free kick.
- 38:57 Ravel Morrison takes a shot. Save by Lee Grant.
- 37:46 Martin Paterson produces a cross, Shot from close range by Michael Duff clears the bar.
- 37:10 A cross is delivered by Dean Marney, Will Packwood makes a clearance. Corner from the left by-line taken by Ross Wallace, clearance made by Steven Caldwell.
- 33:03 Free kick awarded for a foul by Charlie Austin on Will Packwood. Hayden Mullins restarts play with the free kick.
- 31:55 Joseph Mills sends in a cross, Mitch Hancox manages to make a clearance.
- 29:58 Assist by Robert Hall.
- 29:58 GOAL - Curtis Davies:Birmingham 1 - 0 Burnley Curtis Davies finds the back of the net with a headed goal from close in. Birmingham 1-0 Burnley.
- 29:17 Robert Hall crosses the ball from the free kick left-footed from right wing, Ross Wallace manages to make a clearance.
- 29:17 Booking Booking for Joseph Mills.
- 29:00 Foul by Joseph Mills on Robert Hall, free kick awarded.
- 28:40 Free kick awarded for a foul by Danny Ings on Callum Reilly. Mitch Hancox restarts play with the free kick.
- 27:47 The referee blows for offside. Indirect free kick taken by Lee Grant.
- 26:34 The offside flag is raised against Nathan Redmond. Free kick taken by Lee Grant.
- 24:30 Will Packwood sends in a cross, clearance made by Kieran Trippier.
- 24:11 The ball is delivered by Robert Hall, Michael Duff makes a clearance.
- 23:18 Corner taken by Robert Hall from the right by-line played to the near post, save by Lee Grant.
- 22:44 Robert Hall takes a inswinging corner from the right by-line played to the near post, Kieran Trippier makes a clearance.
- 21:16 The ball is sent over by Nikola Zigic, Jason Shackell manages to make a clearance.
- 18:02 Dean Marney has an effort at goal from the edge of the box that misses to the right of the target.
- 17:45 The ball is swung over by Robert Hall, clearance made by Kieran Trippier.
- 15:56 The ball is sent over by Will Packwood, clearance made by Chris McCann.
- 14:32 Shot on goal comes in from Robert Hall from the free kick.
- 14:32 Booking Booking for Chris McCann for unsporting behaviour.
- 14:25 Chris McCann challenges Ravel Morrison unfairly and gives away a free kick.
- 12:18 Nathan Redmond produces a cross, Jason Shackell makes a clearance. Corner taken left-footed by Robert Hall to the near post, Nikola Zigic has a headed effort at goal from close in which goes wide right of the target.
- Correction - 11:49 Shot on goal by Chris McCann from inside the box goes harmlessly over the target.
- 11:49 Chris McCann produces a left-footed shot from inside the area that clears the crossbar.
- 11:22 Martin Paterson takes a shot. Save by Jack Butland.
- 11:00 The assistant referee signals for offside against Ravel Morrison. Kieran Trippier takes the free kick.
- 9:06 Inswinging corner taken by Ross Wallace from the right by-line played to the near post, Will Packwood makes a clearance.
- 7:35 Ross Wallace crosses the ball, save by Jack Butland.
- 6:52 The ball is sent over by Nathan Redmond, clearance by Michael Duff.
- 6:14 Shot by Danny Ings from outside the area goes high over the crossbar.
- 1:31 Foul by Callum Reilly on Dean Marney, free kick awarded. Direct free kick taken by Martin Paterson.
- 0:00 The game kicks-off.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.