Chelsea 8 - 0 Aston Villa
Chelsea turned on the style to completely destroy in-form Aston Villa and move back up to third place in the Premier League.
Fernando Torres continued his resurgence under Blues manager Rafael Benitez with a towering third-minute header to set the Blues on their way.
And a stunning David Luiz free-kick and Branislav Ivanovic header as good as wrapped up victory before the interval.
Frank Lampard marked his 500th Premier League start by crashing home a fourth on the hour and two strikes from substitute Ramires, an Oscar penalty and a fine individual effort from Eden Hazard rounded off the scoring.
As well as providing more evidence of Chelsea's growing momentum under Benitez, the thrashing revised the Premier League record books.
The result marked the first time seven players from one team have scored in a match and matched Chelsea's record 8-0 win over Wigan from May 2010.
An unchanged Villa actually went into the game buoyed by their fine recent form and stunning win over Liverpool last Saturday.
Villa feel the pain
The defeat was Aston Villa's heaviest in top-flight football. They have lost 7-0 on five previous occasions - most recently in 1964.
But they fell behind within two minutes and by the time Ivanovic struck 11 minutes before the break, the visitors appeared to be completely deflated and they were ripped apart at will in the second half.
A majestic performance from Lampard, and his midfield partner Luiz, laid the platform for a dominant display that could have easily seen them reach double figures.
By the end Villa looked a shadow of the side who have been playing with such spirit, energy and passion and who headed to Stamford Bridge unbeaten in six and with a Capital One Cup semi-final date against Bradford looming.
In contrast Benitez's Blues played with the sort of fluency and class that even the manager's staunchest critic will find hard to resist as they bettered Liverpool's 6-0 win over Derby in September 2007 to deliver the Spaniard's best league win in English football.
The hosts started where they left off against Leeds in midweek, Torres opening the scoring with his seventh goal in six games when he found the top corner with a superb 15-yard header from a teasing Ivanovic cross.
Villa held their own for 20 minutes but Luiz crashed home a wondrous, dipping 25-yard free-kick to double the lead.
And after Ivanovic reacted brilliantly to head in after a fine turn and shot from fellow centre-back Gary Cahill, Villa simply capitulated.
England midfielder Lampard, so influential in Chelsea's midweek Capital One cup battering of Leeds, gave a typically authoritative display which makes a mockery of any suggestion that he would not be offered a new contract at Stamford Bridge.
Premier League's biggest wins
4 March 1995 - Manchester United 9 Ipswich 0.
19 September 1999 - Newcastle 8 Sheffield Wednesday 0.
22 November 2009 - Tottenham 9 Wigan 1
9 May 2010 - Chelsea 8 Wigan 0
He smashed in the fourth from 25 yards on the hour and the floodgates truly opened as Chelsea scored four goals in the final 15 minutes.
Substitute Ramires slotted number five after a fine pass from fellow substitute Lucas Piazon.
Another sub, Oscar, blasted number six into the roof of the net after he was felled by Chris Herd.
Number seven duly arrived when Hazard danced through, exchanged passes with Piazon, and arrowed a shot into the corner of the net.
Piazon saw a late penalty brilliantly saved after being fouled by Ciaran Clark, but the eighth goal did arrive when Ramires side-footed in after a break from Oscar.
Live text and stats
Sunday, 23 December 2012
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 01 Cech
- 02 Ivanovic
- 03 Cole
- 04 David Luiz
- 24 Cahill
- 28 Azpilicueta
- 08 Lampard (Ramires 61)
- 10 Mata (Piazon 74)
- 13 Moses
- 17 Hazard
- 09 Torres (Oscar 67)
- 22 Guzan
- 06 Clark
- 30 Lichaj (Bennett 56)
- 32 Baker
- 34 Lowton
- 15 Westwood (Ireland 56)
- 25 Bannan
- 31 Herd
- 14 Holman (Bowery 79)
- 20 Benteke
- 26 Weimann
- Chelsea 63%
- Aston Villa 37%
Attempts on target
- Chelsea 18
- Aston Villa 4
Attempts off target
- Chelsea 6
- Aston Villa 3
- Chelsea 8
- Aston Villa 4
- Chelsea 6
- Aston Villa 11
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+3:07 The referee ends the match.
- 90:00+2:16 Andreas Weimann challenges Victor Moses unfairly and gives away a free kick. Nascimento Ramires takes the direct free kick.
- 90:00+0:33 Emboaba Oscar provided the assist for the goal.
- 90:00+0:33 GOAL - Nascimento Ramires:Chelsea 8 - 0 Aston Villa Nascimento Ramires finds the back of the net with a goal from deep inside the penalty box to the top right corner of the goal. Chelsea 8-0 Aston Villa.
- 90:00+0:12 The ball is crossed by Stephen Ireland, clearance by Cesar Azpilicueta.
- 89:54 Joe Bennett fouled by David Luiz, the ref awards a free kick. Barry Bannan takes the free kick.
- 89:05 Eden Hazard takes the outswinging corner, Bradley Guzan makes a save.
- 89:05 Penalty taken by Lucas Piazon saved by Bradley Guzan. Chelsea 7-0 Aston Villa.
- 88:21 Foul by Ciaran Clark on Lucas Piazon, Penalty awarded.
- 87:50 The referee blows for offside against Christian Benteke. Free kick taken by Petr Cech.
- 86:34 Shot from inside the six-yard box by Emboaba Oscar goes wide right of the goal.
- 86:05 David Luiz takes a shot. Blocked by Ciaran Clark.
- 84:35 Foul by Cesar Azpilicueta on Joe Bennett, free kick awarded. Barry Bannan takes the free kick.
- 82:49 The assist for the goal came from Emboaba Oscar.
- 82:49 GOAL - Eden Hazard:Chelsea 7 - 0 Aston Villa A goal is scored by Eden Hazard from deep inside the penalty box to the top right corner of the goal. Chelsea 7-0 Aston Villa.
- 78:54 Substitution Jordan Bowery comes on in place of Brett Holman.
- 78:29 GOAL - Emboaba Oscar:Chelsea 6 - 0 Aston Villa Penalty taken right-footed by Emboaba Oscar and scored. Chelsea 6-0 Aston Villa.
- 77:51 Chris Herd gives away a Penalty for an unfair challenge on Emboaba Oscar.
- 74:49 Assist by Lucas Piazon.
- 74:49 GOAL - Nascimento Ramires:Chelsea 5 - 0 Aston Villa Nascimento Ramires fires in a goal from inside the penalty box low into the middle of the goal. Chelsea 5-0 Aston Villa.
- 73:20 Substitution (Chelsea) makes a substitution, with Lucas Piazon coming on for Juan Mata.
- 73:20 Shot from just outside the box by Andreas Weimann goes over the bar.
- 72:08 Barry Bannan crosses the ball, Christian Benteke takes a shot. Petr Cech makes a comfortable save.
- 71:04 The ball is sent over by Eden Hazard.
- 69:48 Free kick awarded for a foul by Nascimento Ramires on Andreas Weimann. Andreas Weimann takes the direct free kick.
- 68:12 Close range effort by Emboaba Oscar misses to the left of the target.
- 66:25 Substitution Emboaba Oscar comes on in place of Fernando Torres.
- 66:06 Shot from 18 yards from Cesar Azpilicueta. Bradley Guzan makes a save.
- 62:32 Shot by Andreas Weimann from 12 yards. Save made by Petr Cech. Barry Bannan takes the outswinging corner, Matthew Lowton takes a shot. Petr Cech makes a save.
- 62:09 Foul by Stephen Ireland on David Luiz, free kick awarded. Eden Hazard takes the direct free kick.
- 60:44 Close range strike by Eden Hazard goes over the bar.
- 59:49 Substitution Nascimento Ramires is brought on as a substitute for Frank Lampard.
- 59:49 Shot by Victor Moses from a long way out goes over the net.
- 58:00 The assist for the goal came from Juan Mata.
- 58:00 GOAL - Frank Lampard:Chelsea 4 - 0 Aston Villa Goal scored by Frank Lampard from outside the penalty box to the bottom left corner of the goal. Chelsea 4-0 Aston Villa.
- 57:43 Victor Moses takes a shot. Bradley Guzan makes a fantastic save.
- 57:13 The assistant referee flags for offside against Fernando Torres. Free kick taken by Bradley Guzan.
- 56:58 Juan Mata delivers the ball.
- 55:15 Substitution Stephen Ireland on for Ashley Westwood.
- 55:15 Substitution Joe Bennett on for Eric Lichaj.
- 55:15 Ashley Cole takes a shot from just inside the penalty box which clears the crossbar.
- 54:20 Christian Benteke takes a shot. Gary Cahill gets a block in. Outswinging corner taken from the right by-line by Ashley Westwood.
- 52:56 The ball is swung over by Matthew Lowton, Gary Cahill makes a clearance. Barry Bannan takes the inswinging corner, clearance by Fernando Torres.
- 51:51 Fernando Torres takes a shot. Blocked by Ciaran Clark. Juan Mata takes the inswinging corner, Shot by Frank Lampard. Save made by Bradley Guzan.
- 49:21 Effort from 12 yards by Juan Mata. Bradley Guzan makes a brilliant save. Corner taken right-footed by Frank Lampard to the near post, clearance made by Christian Benteke.
- 47:15 The official flags Christian Benteke offside. Petr Cech takes the direct free kick.
- 45:24 Inswinging corner taken right-footed by Eden Hazard from the left by-line to the near post, Eric Lichaj manages to make a clearance.
- 45:01 The referee blows his whistle to start the second half.
- Half Time
- 45:00+1:35 The players leave the pitch at half time.
- 43:34 Foul by Fernando Torres on Chris Herd, free kick awarded. Chris Herd takes the free kick.
- 42:34 Ashley Cole fouled by Brett Holman, the ref awards a free kick. Frank Lampard takes the free kick.
- 41:41 Free kick awarded for a foul by Cesar Azpilicueta on Christian Benteke. The free kick is delivered left-footed by Barry Bannan from left wing, clearance by Fernando Torres.
- 40:39 Effort on goal by Barry Bannan from long range goes harmlessly over the target.
- 39:55 Christian Benteke is ruled offside. Free kick taken by Petr Cech.
- 38:28 The offside flag is raised against Juan Mata. Bradley Guzan takes the free kick.
- 37:22 Victor Moses is caught offside. Barry Bannan takes the free kick.
- 36:24 Drilled right-footed shot by David Luiz. Bradley Guzan makes a save.
- 36:10 Chris Herd concedes a free kick for a foul on Eden Hazard. Frank Lampard restarts play with the free kick.
- 33:37 The assist for the goal came from Gary Cahill.
- 33:37 GOAL - Branislav Ivanovic:Chelsea 3 - 0 Aston Villa Branislav Ivanovic finds the back of the net with a headed goal from inside the six-yard box. Chelsea 3-0 Aston Villa.
- 33:16 Corner taken left-footed by Juan Mata, Gary Cahill takes a shot. Save by Bradley Guzan.
- 32:16 Eric Lichaj delivers the ball, save by Petr Cech.
- 30:13 Barry Bannan gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Frank Lampard. Strike on goal comes in from Juan Mata from the free kick. Inswinging corner taken right-footed by Frank Lampard from the left by-line to the near post, Eric Lichaj manages to make a clearance. Short corner taken by Frank Lampard from the left by-line.
- 28:22 Assist on the goal came from Eden Hazard.
- 28:22 GOAL - David Luiz:Chelsea 2 - 0 Aston Villa David Luiz grabs a goal direct from the free kick from outside the area to the top left corner of the goal. Chelsea 2-0 Aston Villa.
- 27:16 Chris Herd gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Eden Hazard.
- 26:32 A cross is delivered by Juan Mata, Matthew Lowton manages to make a clearance.
- 25:26 The referee blows for offside against Christian Benteke. Gary Cahill takes the free kick.
- 21:59 Shot by Christian Benteke. Blocked by Gary Cahill.
- 21:40 Ashley Cole crosses the ball, clearance by Nathan Baker.
- 20:47 Shot by David Luiz. Blocked by Ashley Westwood.
- 20:04 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Ashley Cole by Andreas Weimann. David Luiz restarts play with the free kick.
- 19:54 Shot from 25 yards by Juan Mata. Nathan Baker gets a block in.
- 17:50 Free kick awarded for a foul by Andreas Weimann on Ashley Cole. Gary Cahill takes the direct free kick.
- 17:42 A cross is delivered by Victor Moses, Chris Herd manages to make a clearance.
- 13:48 Corner taken by Juan Mata from the right by-line, Christian Benteke makes a clearance.
- 10:02 Corner taken left-footed by Barry Bannan.
- 9:05 The ball is delivered by Victor Moses.
- 8:23 Christian Benteke is flagged offside by the assistant referee. Petr Cech restarts play with the free kick.
- 5:22 The ball is sent over by Ashley Westwood, blocked by Frank Lampard.
- 3:42 Unfair challenge on Ashley Westwood by Fernando Torres results in a free kick. Barry Bannan crosses the ball from the free kick left-footed from left channel, Branislav Ivanovic manages to make a clearance.
- 2:09 Assist on the goal came from Cesar Azpilicueta.
- 2:09 GOAL - Fernando Torres:Chelsea 1 - 0 Aston Villa Fernando Torres finds the net with a headed goal from just inside the box. Chelsea 1-0 Aston Villa.
- 2:08 The ball is swung over by Cesar Azpilicueta,
- 0:13 Foul by Chris Herd on Fernando Torres, free kick awarded. Direct effort from the free kick comes in from Frank Lampard.
- 0:00 The ref blows the whistle to start the match.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.