Corinthians 1 - 0 Chelsea
Rafael Benitez failed to win his first trophy as Chelsea manager as his team lost to Brazilian side Corinthians in the Club World Cup final in Japan.
Paolo Guerrero scored the only goal on 69 minutes when he reacted quickest to head home past three Blues players.
Fernando Torres had a chance to force extra time but fired straight at Cassio with only the goalkeeper to beat.
Chelsea's Gary Cahill, who also missed a good opportunity, was sent off after clashing with Emerson late in the game.
Torres had the ball in the net with an injury-time header but his effort was ruled out for offside as Corinthians held on to win the trophy.
The Blues become the first team since 2006 to fail to win the Club World Cup after winning the Champions League.
Chelsea should have taken an early lead when a Juan Mata corner fell to Cahill and his header was blocked by Chicao, but the ball rebounded to the centre-half, whose shot was saved on the line.
Corinthians, backed by 30,000 fans who had travelled to Yokohama, then had a good chance when Mata gifted the ball to Emerson.
The Brazilian side had two attackers against two defenders but David Luiz, who returned to the back four after impressing in midfield in the 3-1 semi-final win against Mexican side Monterrey, showed his defensive qualities by ushering the midfielder out of play.
The South American side, who won the Copa Libertadores in July, created their best chance of the first half when Guerrero shot across goal and the ball reached Emerson, whose shot from a narrow angle hit the outside of the post.
"I don't think you can argue with that. It meant more to Corinthians.
"Chelsea were quite disappointing. They did not really go for it but they had their chances. It was no surprise that there was just one goal as it was not a great game. For all three defenders to stay on the line was a mistake.
"If you are Fernando Torres and have waited all game for a chance, you have to score. Frank Lampard was Chelsea's best player."
But, with Corinthians defending high up the pitch, Chelsea began to create more chances.
Luiz, a boyhood Corinthians fan, wasted a free-kick in a good position after Eden Hazard had been fouled by Chicao.
A wonderful piece of creativity from Hazard, who chipped a perfect pass to cut out left-back Fabio Santos, gave Victor Moses a chance but the winger's heavy first touch enabled central defender Paulo Andre to clear.
Frank Lampard, who was making his first Chelsea start since suffering a calf injury in a Champions League game against Shakhtar Donetsk on 23 October, played another intelligent pass, which Torres controlled on his knee before having his shot saved by Cassio.
The Corinthians goalkeeper then tipped wide a curling effort from Moses and also denied Mata as Chelsea pushed to become only the second English team to win the competition after Manchester United's success in 2008.
But Corinthians went ahead midway through the second half when Paulinho, who has been linked with a move to Arsenal, Manchester United and Manchester City, collected a pass and ran into the penalty area.
Club World Cup: Past winners
- 2000 - Corinthians (Brazil)
- 2005 - Sao Paulo (Brazil)
- 2006 - Internacional (Brazil)
- 2007 - AC Milan
- 2008 - Manchester United
- 2009 - Barcelona
- 2010 - Inter Milan
- 2011 - Barcelona
The chance appeared to have gone as he lost control but the ball fell to Danilo who cut inside and saw his shot loop up off Cahill before, despite Chelsea having three defenders on the line, Guerrero nodded home from five yards.
Chelsea, who were eliminated from the Champions League earlier this month, brought on Oscar and Cesar Azpilicueta for Moses and Branislav Ivanovic as the Blues pushed for an equaliser.
Torres had a glorious chance to level when he had only Cassio to beat but could not take the opportunity.
The Blues ended the game with 10 men after Cahill clashed with Emerson.
They managed one final shot, Mata hitting the base of the post, but Corinthians, who won the trophy in 2000, become the first South American team to win the competition twice.
Live text and stats
Sunday, 16 December 2012
FIFA Club World Cup
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 12 Cassio
- 02 Alessandro
- 03 Chicao
- 06 Fabio Santos
- 13 Cren Benini
- 05 Ralf
- 08 Paulinho
- 20 Danilo
- 09 Guerrero (Martinez 86)
- 11 Emerson (Wallace 90)
- 23 Jorge Henrique yellow card
- 01 Julio Cesar,
- 22 Fernandes,
- 04 Wallace,
- 15 Anderson Polga,
- 21 Edenilson,
- 26 Guilherme Andrade,
- 28 Felipe Monteiro,
- 10 Douglas,
- 17 Willian Arao,
- 29 Giovanni,
- 07 Martinez,
- 31 Romarinho
- 01 Cech
- 02 Ivanovic (Azpilicueta 83)
- 03 Cole
- 04 David Luiz yellow card
- 24 Cahill red card
- 07 Ramires
- 08 Lampard
- 10 Mata
- 13 Moses (Oscar 72)
- 17 Hazard (Marin 87)
- 09 Torres
- Corinthians 50%
- Chelsea 50%
Attempts on target
- Corinthians 4
- Chelsea 9
Attempts off target
- Corinthians 6
- Chelsea 5
- Corinthians 4
- Chelsea 2
- Corinthians 14
- Chelsea 13
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+4:40 The final whistle is blown by the referee.
- 90:00+4:19 Effort from deep inside the box by Juan Mata hits the post.
- 90:00+3:36 The assistant referee flags for offside against Ashley Cole. Indirect free kick taken by Ramos Cassio.
- 90:00+2:31 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Marko Marin by Joe Paulo Paulinho. Free kick taken by Marko Marin.
- 90:00+1:38 The assistant referee signals for offside against Fernando Torres. Ramos Cassio takes the indirect free kick.
- 89:20 Gabriel Danilo restarts play with the free kick.
- 89:20 Substitution Reis Wallace on for Marcio Emerson.
- 89:20 Sent off Red card for Gary Cahill.
- 88:56 Gary Cahill concedes a free kick for a foul on Marcio Emerson.
- 88:02 Foul by Gabriel Danilo on Cesar Azpilicueta, free kick awarded. David Luiz restarts play with the free kick.
- 87:11 Centre by Cesar Azpilicueta, comfortable save by Ramos Cassio.
- 85:43 Substitution Marko Marin comes on in place of Eden Hazard.
- 85:43 Substitution (Corinthians) makes a substitution, with Juan Manuel Martinez coming on for Paolo Guerrero.
- 85:07 Fernando Torres takes a shot. Ramos Cassio makes a save.
- 82:42 Foul by Nascimento Ramires on Joe Paulo Paulinho, free kick awarded. Anderson Chicao restarts play with the free kick.
- 82:12 Substitution Cesar Azpilicueta is brought on as a substitute for Branislav Ivanovic.
- 79:10 Foul by Teles Ralf on Frank Lampard, free kick awarded. Free kick taken by Frank Lampard.
- 78:33 Free kick awarded for a foul by Eden Hazard on De Souza Jorge Henrique. Anderson Chicao takes the free kick.
- 78:07 Marcio Emerson is flagged offside by the assistant referee. David Luiz restarts play with the free kick.
- 74:58 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Teles Ralf by Fernando Torres. Direct free kick taken by Romeu Fabio Santos.
- 73:54 Juan Mata produces a cross, Headed effort from deep inside the area by Fernando Torres misses to the right of the goal.
- 71:27 Direct free kick taken by Gabriel Danilo.
- 71:27 Substitution Emboaba Oscar joins the action as a substitute, replacing Victor Moses.
- 71:27 Booking David Luiz receives a caution.
- 71:24 Unfair challenge on Marcio Emerson by David Luiz results in a free kick.
- 70:37 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Gary Cahill by De Souza Jorge Henrique. Free kick taken by David Luiz.
- 68:54 GOAL - Paolo Guerrero:Corinthians 1 - 0 Chelsea Paolo Guerrero finds the back of the net with a headed goal from close range. Corinthians 1-0 Chelsea.
- 68:38 Gabriel Danilo takes a shot. Blocked by Gary Cahill.
- 68:23 The ball is swung over by Marcio Emerson, clearance made by David Luiz.
- 67:08 Victor Moses sends in a cross.
- 66:00 The ball is crossed by Branislav Ivanovic.
- 63:06 Effort from deep inside the area by Joe Paulo Paulinho misses to the right of the target.
- 62:48 Corner taken right-footed by Marcio Emerson to the near post, clearance by Fernando Torres.
- 61:06 Centre by Nunes Alessandro, Gary Cahill manages to make a clearance.
- 59:02 De Souza Jorge Henrique takes a outswinging corner from the right by-line to the near post, David Luiz manages to make a clearance.
- 58:36 Corner taken by De Souza Jorge Henrique from the right by-line played to the near post, clearance made by Ashley Cole.
- 57:56 A cross is delivered by De Souza Jorge Henrique.
- 57:15 Free kick awarded for a foul by Ashley Cole on De Souza Jorge Henrique. Anderson Chicao takes the free kick.
- 56:44 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Romeu Fabio Santos by Victor Moses. Ramos Cassio takes the free kick.
- 55:35 Branislav Ivanovic takes the free kick.
- 55:35 Booking De Souza Jorge Henrique goes into the referee's book for unsporting behaviour.
- 55:28 Unfair challenge on Juan Mata by De Souza Jorge Henrique results in a free kick.
- 54:15 Marcio Emerson takes a shot. Blocked by Gary Cahill. The referee blows for offside. Ramos Cassio takes the free kick.
- 53:16 Eden Hazard takes a shot. Save by Ramos Cassio.
- 52:22 De Souza Jorge Henrique delivers the ball.
- 51:12 Marcio Emerson gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Branislav Ivanovic. Petr Cech restarts play with the free kick.
- 50:13 Juan Mata delivers the ball. Frank Lampard takes a shot. Blocked by Cren Benini Paulo Andre.
- 46:33 Foul by Branislav Ivanovic on Romeu Fabio Santos, free kick awarded. Ramos Cassio takes the free kick.
- 46:21 The ball is swung over by Victor Moses, Cren Benini Paulo Andre manages to make a clearance.
- 45:01 The second half begins.
- Half Time
- 45:00+1:05 It is the end of the first-half.
- 43:13 Eden Hazard fouled by Marcio Emerson, the ref awards a free kick. Petr Cech restarts play with the free kick.
- 42:38 De Souza Jorge Henrique takes a outswinging corner.
- 42:10 Unfair challenge on De Souza Jorge Henrique by Ashley Cole results in a free kick. Free kick crossed by De Souza Jorge Henrique, clearance made by Frank Lampard.
- 41:36 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Anderson Chicao by Victor Moses. Free kick taken by Anderson Chicao.
- 39:47 Handball by Paolo Guerrero. Free kick crossed right-footed by David Luiz from left wing, clearance made by Anderson Chicao. Juan Mata takes a shot. Save made by Ramos Cassio.
- 39:20 Corner taken by Juan Mata, clearance made by Anderson Chicao.
- 38:56 Victor Moses has a curled shot. Save made by Ramos Cassio.
- 38:42 Romeu Fabio Santos takes a shot from 25 yards. Blocked by Gary Cahill.
- 37:25 Branislav Ivanovic fouled by Paolo Guerrero, the ref awards a free kick. Branislav Ivanovic restarts play with the free kick.
- 37:06 Fernando Torres takes a shot. Save made by Ramos Cassio.
- 35:24 Shot from just outside the box by Ashley Cole misses to the right of the target.
- 34:02 Paolo Guerrero takes a shot. Shot from close range by Marcio Emerson strikes the post.
- 31:03 Unfair challenge on Juan Mata by Nunes Alessandro results in a free kick. Frank Lampard crosses the ball in from the free kick.
- 30:07 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Eden Hazard by De Souza Jorge Henrique. Free kick taken by Eden Hazard.
- 28:20 De Souza Jorge Henrique takes a shot from just inside the penalty box which clears the crossbar.
- 27:27 Ashley Cole crosses the ball. Fernando Torres is caught offside. Ramos Cassio restarts play with the free kick.
- 26:14 Victor Moses delivers the ball, blocked by Romeu Fabio Santos.
- 23:56 Victor Moses takes a shot. Anderson Chicao gets a block in.
- 20:34 Eden Hazard fouled by Anderson Chicao, the ref awards a free kick. Direct strike on goal from the free kick comes in from David Luiz.
- 20:18 Juan Mata crosses the ball, clearance made by Anderson Chicao.
- 19:29 Effort on goal by Joe Paulo Paulinho from just outside the area goes harmlessly over the target.
- 18:17 De Souza Jorge Henrique takes a shot. Save made by Petr Cech.
- 18:05 Juan Mata crosses the ball, clearance by Nunes Alessandro.
- 13:17 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Frank Lampard by Marcio Emerson. Nascimento Ramires takes the direct free kick.
- 10:41 Nascimento Ramires concedes a free kick for a foul on Marcio Emerson. Cren Benini Paulo Andre takes the direct free kick.
- 9:50 Corner taken by Juan Mata from the right by-line, Gary Cahill takes a shot. Save made by Ramos Cassio. Gary Cahill takes a shot. Ramos Cassio makes a save.
- 9:31 Effort from deep inside the area by Victor Moses misses to the right of the goal.
- 7:41 Eden Hazard fouled by Paolo Guerrero, the ref awards a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Ashley Cole.
- 6:55 The ball is swung over by Victor Moses.
- 5:19 Nunes Alessandro gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on David Luiz. David Luiz takes the free kick.
- 3:30 Frank Lampard gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Teles Ralf. Cren Benini Paulo Andre takes the direct free kick.
- 2:40 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Gabriel Danilo by Branislav Ivanovic. Romeu Fabio Santos takes the direct free kick.
- 0:15 Ashley Cole sends in a cross, blocked by Nunes Alessandro.
- 0:00 The ref blows the whistle to start the match.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.