Hull City 2 - 0 Leeds United
Hull moved within two points of Championship leaders Cardiff with a comfortable lunchtime victory over Yorkshire rivals Leeds United.
The Tigers dominated from start to finish against a lacklustre Leeds side who barely managed an effort on goal.
But they had to wait until Corry Evans drilled a low angled shot across Paddy Kenny in the second half to break the visitors' resistance.
David Meyler's header from Robbie Brady's corner sealed the win.
Cardiff have the chance to reopen their five-point advantage over Steve Bruce's side when they host Millwall later on Saturday.
Hull's win saw them complete their first double over Leeds since the 1987-88 season - having clinched their first win at Elland Road since the same season in September's 3-2 victory - and the outcome never looked in doubt following a ferocious start from the home team.
Tigers skipper Robert Koren wasted an early opportunity when he shot wide after pouncing on a mistake by Whites defender Alan Tate, and referee Geoff Eltringham waved away two Hull penalty claims after Meyler and the impressive Sone Aluko both tangled with Leeds' Jason Pearce.
Ahmed Elmohamady then sent a threatening ball across the face of the goal only for Brady to slash wide as the pressure mounted on the uncertain Leeds defence.
Hull's victory against Leeds extended their unbeaten run to seven matches - the best current sequence in the Championship.
The visitors were limited to long-range shots from Ross McCormack and Michael Brown but Hull were not rewarded for their first-half dominance and the second half started in the same vein as Aluko fired wide and Meyler was denied by a smart save from Kenny low to his right.
Moments later, the Hull pair almost combined again when a sliding Meyler - set to be recalled by injury-hit parent club Sunderland before being allowed to stay with the Tigers - almost connected with Aluko's cross.
Hull finally took a deserved lead when former Manchester United midfielder Evans collected Koren's pass before calmly beating Kenny.
And Meyler sealed victory after easily escaping his marker to head in powerfully and leave Leeds ninth, two points off the play-off places.
Hull boss Steve Bruce: "It's been a huge month for us: Six games, won five, drawn one.
"I couldn't have wished for a better return. We looked like we wouldn't score in the first half but we went about our business properly and were great to watch. Some of our players, Sone Aluko, you'd pay to watch."
Leeds boss Neil Warnock: "I feel the frustration that the fans feel with our squad, but we're all glad it's January coming up. The new owners are supporting me and I want to bring players in.
"Whatever we do, we're not going to cope with Hull and Cardiff, but looking at the other teams, we don't have much to fear. We need to get our own house in order."
Live text and stats
Saturday, 29 December 2012
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
|Hull City||2-0||Leeds United||FT|
- 01 Jakupovic
- 05 Chester
- 06 Hobbs
- 08 Evans
- 10 Koren (Proschwitz 76)
- 23 Faye
- 24 Aluko (Simpson 89)
- 27 Elmohamady (Rosenior 82)
- 29 Quinn
- 31 Meyler
- 30 Brady yellow card
- 22 Amos,
- 02 Rosenior,
- 15 McShane,
- 14 Cairney,
- 16 Olofinjana,
- 11 Simpson,
- 33 Proschwitz
- 01 Kenny
- 04 Lees
- 05 Pearce
- 15 Tate
- 07 Green
- 14 White yellow card
- 17 Brown yellow card
- 19 Norris (Austin 68)
- 25 Byram yellow card
- 28 Somma (Varney 46)
- 44 McCormack yellow card
- 12 Ashdown,
- 03 Drury,
- 08 Austin,
- 09 Thomas,
- 11 Varney,
- 30 Hall,
- 10 Becchio
- Hull City 65%
- Leeds United 35%
Attempts on target
- Hull City 11
- Leeds United 1
Attempts off target
- Hull City 9
- Leeds United 3
- Hull City 5
- Leeds United 3
- Hull City 12
- Leeds United 11
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+4:22 The referee ends the match.
- 90:00+4:02 Stephen Quinn concedes a free kick for a foul on Samuel Byram. Patrick Kenny takes the free kick.
- 90:00+2:25 Free kick awarded for a foul by Nick Proschwitz on Jason Pearce. Michael Brown takes the free kick.
- 90:00+1:20 Unfair challenge on Ross McCormack by Corry Evans results in a free kick. Michael Brown restarts play with the free kick. Luke Varney takes a shot. Save by Eldin Jakupovic.
- 89:40 Effort on goal by David Meyler from a long way out goes over the bar.
- 88:42 Substitution (Hull) makes a substitution, with Jay Simpson coming on for Sone Aluko.
- 84:02 Abdoulaye Faye challenges Luke Varney unfairly and gives away a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Luke Varney.
- 83:21 Nick Proschwitz takes a shot. Save by Eldin Jakupovic.
- 81:09 Free kick taken by Eldin Jakupovic. Unfair challenge on Jason Pearce by Nick Proschwitz results in a free kick. Free kick taken by Michael Brown.
- 81:09 Substitution Liam Rosenior replaces Ahmed Elmohamady.
- 81:09 The offside flag is raised against Luke Varney.
- 79:02 Ross McCormack decides to take a short corner.
- 77:46 The ball is crossed by Ahmed Elmohamady, save by Patrick Kenny.
- 75:04 Patrick Kenny takes the direct free kick.
- 75:04 Substitution Nick Proschwitz replaces Robert Koren.
- 75:04 Booking Robbie Brady booked.
- 74:59 Robbie Brady gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Michael Brown.
- 73:53 Samuel Byram crosses the ball, save by Eldin Jakupovic.
- 73:15 Centre by David Meyler, clearance by Alan Tate. Paul Green fouled by Stephen Quinn, the ref awards a free kick. Free kick taken by Alan Tate.
- 69:01 Shot comes in from Sone Aluko from the free kick, blocked by Aidan White.
- 69:01 Booking Samuel Byram is cautioned.
- 68:44 Samuel Byram challenges Robbie Brady unfairly and gives away a free kick.
- 67:13 Ahmed Elmohamady takes the free kick.
- 67:13 Substitution Rodolph Austin on for David Norris.
- 67:13 Aidan White gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on David Meyler.
- Correction - 64:58 Sone Aluko is ruled offside. Patrick Kenny takes the free kick.
- 64:58 The referee blows for offside against Sone Aluko. Indirect free kick taken by Michael Brown.
- 62:32 Stephen Quinn takes a shot from 25 yards. Patrick Kenny makes a save. Effort from inside the area by Robert Koren misses to the left of the goal.
- 60:36 Michael Brown concedes a free kick for a foul on Corry Evans. Free kick taken by James Chester.
- 58:10 The offside flag is raised against David Meyler. Patrick Kenny takes the indirect free kick.
- 54:52 Assist by Robbie Brady.
- 54:52 GOAL - David Meyler:Hull City 2 - 0 Leeds United David Meyler finds the net with a headed goal from inside the penalty area. Hull 2-0 Leeds.
- 54:11 Robert Koren takes a shot. Save by Patrick Kenny. Inswinging corner taken by Robbie Brady from the right by-line,
- 53:11 Unfair challenge on Jason Pearce by Robert Koren results in a free kick. Alan Tate restarts play with the free kick.
- 51:40 Assist on the goal came from Robert Koren.
- 51:40 GOAL - Corry Evans:Hull City 1 - 0 Leeds United Corry Evans scores a goal from deep inside the penalty box to the bottom left corner of the goal. Hull 1-0 Leeds.
- 50:45 Outswinging corner taken right-footed by Paul Green played to the near post, Robert Koren makes a clearance.
- 48:55 Luke Varney gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Abdoulaye Faye. Abdoulaye Faye takes the direct free kick.
- 48:12 Shot by Sone Aluko from deep inside the penalty area misses wide to the left of the target.
- 47:35 David Meyler takes a shot. Save by Patrick Kenny.
- 46:45 Effort from a long way out by Sone Aluko goes wide right of the target.
- 45:27 A cross is delivered by Samuel Byram, save by Eldin Jakupovic.
- 45:01 The second half has started.
- 45:01 Substitution (Leeds) makes a substitution, with Luke Varney coming on for Davide Somma.
- Half Time
- 45:00+3:24 The referee calls an end to the first half.
- 45:00+2:55 Inswinging corner taken left-footed by Robbie Brady from the right by-line to the near post, Jason Pearce makes a clearance.
- 45:00+0:38 Stephen Quinn restarts play with the free kick. Robert Koren takes a shot from inside the box clearing the bar.
- 45:00+0:38 Booking Michael Brown receives a caution.
- 43:21 Booking Ross McCormack goes into the referee's book.
- 43:07 Foul by Ross McCormack on Robbie Brady, free kick awarded.
- 42:17 David Meyler takes a shot. Michael Brown gets a block in. Corner taken right-footed by Robert Koren from the left by-line, clearance made by Alan Tate.
- 41:02 Centre by David Meyler, Alan Tate manages to make a clearance.
- 38:07 Ahmed Elmohamady produces a cross.
- 36:33 Shot from inside the six-yard box by Robbie Brady goes wide right of the goal.
- 34:44 David Meyler delivers the ball from the free kick right-footed from right channel, Jason Pearce makes a clearance.
- 34:44 Booking Aidan White receives a caution.
- 32:44 Ahmed Elmohamady fouled by Aidan White, the ref awards a free kick.
- 31:14 Stephen Quinn gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Paul Green. Direct free kick taken by Patrick Kenny.
- 29:40 Aidan White delivers the ball.
- 28:40 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on James Chester by David Norris. Eldin Jakupovic takes the direct free kick.
- 28:15 Sone Aluko takes a shot. Blocked by Jason Pearce.
- 27:40 Shot from just outside the box by Michael Brown goes over the bar.
- 27:09 The ball is crossed by David Meyler, save by Patrick Kenny.
- 26:30 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Robbie Brady by Paul Green. Robbie Brady restarts play with the free kick.
- 26:07 The ball is delivered by Robbie Brady, Patrick Kenny makes a save.
- 22:29 Sone Aluko takes a shot. Blocked by Alan Tate. Corner taken right-footed by Robert Koren, Close range header by Abdoulaye Faye misses to the right of the target.
- 21:58 Robert Koren takes a shot. Jason Pearce gets a block in.
- 21:32 Foul by Paul Green on Stephen Quinn, free kick awarded. Stephen Quinn restarts play with the free kick.
- 20:53 Corry Evans concedes a free kick for a foul on David Norris. Free kick taken by Alan Tate.
- 19:04 Corry Evans takes a shot.
- 18:35 Robbie Brady sends in a cross, save by Patrick Kenny.
- 17:41 Robbie Brady delivers the ball, Alan Tate makes a clearance.
- 16:07 David Norris challenges Robert Koren unfairly and gives away a free kick. Sone Aluko crosses the ball in from the free kick, Jason Pearce makes a clearance.
- 14:55 Ross McCormack produces a right-footed shot from just outside the area that goes harmlessly over the target.
- 12:32 Paul Green takes a outswinging corner to the near post, Effort on goal by Ross McCormack from just inside the penalty box goes harmlessly over the target.
- 12:15 Robbie Brady crosses the ball, clearance by David Norris.
- 9:07 A cross is delivered by Sone Aluko, Jason Pearce makes a clearance.
- 7:58 Michael Brown concedes a free kick for a foul on David Meyler. Stephen Quinn restarts play with the free kick.
- 6:50 Inswinging corner taken from the right by-line by Robbie Brady.
- 5:36 The ball is swung over by Robbie Brady.
- 5:05 The ball is sent over by Samuel Byram, save by Eldin Jakupovic.
- 3:48 Robert Koren produces a right-footed shot from the edge of the box and misses to the left of the target.
- 2:44 Foul by Sone Aluko on Jason Pearce, free kick awarded. Patrick Kenny restarts play with the free kick.
- 0:43 Davide Somma fouled by James Chester, the ref awards a free kick. Michael Brown delivers the ball from the free kick right-footed from left wing, clearance by Abdoulaye Faye.
- 0:00 The game kicks-off.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.