Southampton 1 - 1 Arsenal
Southampton climbed out of the Premier League relegation zone after securing a draw with Arsenal but were unfortunate not to pick up all three points.
The Saints went ahead when Gaston Ramirez seized on a loose ball and drilled past Wojciech Szczesny.
But Arsenal hit back before the break when Guly do Prado diverted Theo Walcott's free-kick into his own net.
Ramirez thought he had given the hosts the lead but his sharp strike was ruled out for a foul on Laurent Koscielny.
A winning goal would have been just reward for a performance in which Southampton largely outplayed their illustrious opponents.
After losing their first four league games, the Saints have only suffered two defeats in their last 10 and have now leapfrogged Wigan to exit the relegation zone on goal difference.
In attack, Ramirez and Rickie Lambert were a constant menace to the Gunners defence, whilst at the other end Theo Walcott was starved of service after being given another chance to press his claims for a regular starting berth up front.
Walcott cut a forlorn figure in an Arsenal side that was a pale imitation of the team that scored 15 goals in winning their previous four games.
"I have seen Arsenal a lot over the last few years and this is the worst I have seen them play. Their passing was terrible, they were shambolic today on the ball.
"This is supposed to be a team that is competing to finish in the top four. I think Tottenham and Chelsea are stronger, Arsenal have left themselves too much to do."
Manager Arsene Wenger fielded the same eleven that had beaten Newcastle 7-3 three days earlier but saw his team fade badly after a bright start.
After Santi Cazorla had gone close with a dipping 30-yard strike Arsenal's attacks repeatedly broke down in the final third.
Their failings in possession enabled Southampton to grow in confidence and the opening goal reflected their increasing ascendancy in the game.
It followed a mix-up in the Gunners defence as both Bacary Sagna and Kieran Gibbs made a hash of their clearances, allowing Ramirez to fire a loose ball past Szczesny.
Southampton should really have preserved their lead until half-time but were let down by a misjudgement from Brazilian Do Prado, who needlessly stretched out a leg at Walcott's free-kick from the left wing and diverted the ball past Artur Boruc.
Do Prado set out to atone for his error after the break and drew a sharp save from Szczesny at his near post with a rasping drive from outside the area.
His effort was the catalyst for another dominant spell from the home side in which Jason Puncheon lashed into the side netting from inside the box and Ramirez drilled a long-range effort over the bar.
The Uruguayan was convinced he had given Southampton the lead midway through the half when he took a chipped pass on his chest and swivelled to fire home, but the goal was ruled out for a shove on Koscielny.
Both managers made changes in a quest for a winning goal, with Arsenal substitute Gervinho firing into the side netting and Mikel Arteta going close from 25 yards.
Puncheon then had a late chance to win the match for Southampton but he fired straight at Szczesny and the home side had to settle for a point.
Southampton manager Nigel Adkins: "It was a good performance. Arsenal have been scoring a shed load of goals and we nullified that threat and carried plenty of threat ourselves.
"The own-goal was a spawny one that came off his toe but these things happen and we'll get the rub of the green soon.
"They started brightly but we stuck out it, grew in confidence and played well."
Live text and stats
Tuesday, 1 January 2013
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 31 Boruc
- 03 Yoshida
- 06 Fonte
- 23 Shaw
- 04 Schneiderlin yellow card
- 08 S Davis
- 10 Ramirez (Ward-Prowse 77)
- 18 Cork
- 21 Guly (De Ridder 83 yellow card)
- 42 Puncheon
- 07 Lambert (Rodriguez 74)
- 01 Szczesny
- 03 Sagna
- 05 Vermaelen
- 06 Koscielny
- 28 Gibbs
- 08 Arteta
- 10 Wilshere
- 14 Walcott
- 15 Oxlade-Chamberlain (Gervinho 74)
- 19 Cazorla (Ramsey 74)
- 09 Podolski (Giroud 58)
- Southampton 46%
- Arsenal 54%
Attempts on target
- Southampton 6
- Arsenal 4
Attempts off target
- Southampton 3
- Arsenal 2
- Southampton 3
- Arsenal 3
- Southampton 9
- Arsenal 6
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+3:12 The referee ends the match.
- 90:00+2:32 Jason Puncheon takes a shot from 25 yards. Blocked by Thomas Vermaelen.
- 90:00+0:30 Free kick awarded for a foul by Jay Rodriguez on Laurent Koscielny. Free kick taken by Theo Walcott. Unfair challenge on Steven Davis by Mikel Arteta results in a free kick. Artur Boruc takes the direct free kick.
- 90:00 Kieran Gibbs delivers the ball, Jose Fonte manages to make a clearance.
- 87:07 Jason Puncheon produces a drilled right-footed shot from 12 yards. Save made by Wojciech Szczesny.
- 86:14 The ball is crossed by Laurent Koscielny, Olivier Giroud takes a shot. Artur Boruc makes a save.
- 85:48 Free kick crossed by Jack Wilshere, Steve De Ridder makes a clearance.
- 85:48 Booking Steve De Ridder goes into the book for unsporting behaviour.
- 85:32 Free kick awarded for a foul by Steve De Ridder on Bacary Sagna.
- 84:42 Jason Puncheon has an effort at goal from 20 yards. Comfortable save by Wojciech Szczesny.
- 84:18 Steve De Ridder crosses the ball, Jay Rodriguez takes a shot. Save by Wojciech Szczesny.
- 83:22 Yao Gervinho produces a drilled right-footed shot from deep inside the penalty box which goes wide of the left-hand upright.
- 82:22 Substitution Guly Do Prado leaves the field to be replaced by Steve De Ridder.
- 79:36 A cross is delivered by Theo Walcott, clearance made by Steven Davis. Mikel Arteta produces a left-footed shot from just outside the box that misses to the right of the net.
- 78:06 Guly Do Prado challenges Aaron Ramsey unfairly and gives away a free kick. Aaron Ramsey restarts play with the free kick.
- 77:43 Jack Cork produces a cross, Laurent Koscielny makes a clearance.
- 76:48 Corner taken right-footed by Guly Do Prado from the left by-line, save by Wojciech Szczesny.
- 75:58 Wojciech Szczesny restarts play with the free kick.
- 75:58 Substitution James Ward-Prowse is brought on as a substitute for Gaston Ramirez.
- 75:58 Gaston Ramirez gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Bacary Sagna.
- 74:48 Centre by Bacary Sagna, Maya Yoshida makes a clearance.
- 72:52 Substitution Aaron Ramsey comes on in place of Santi Cazorla.
- 72:52 Substitution Yao Gervinho comes on in place of Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain.
- 72:52 Substitution Jay Rodriguez on for Rickie Lambert.
- 72:52 Guly Do Prado produces a cross.
- 70:53 Gaston Ramirez concedes a free kick for a foul on Laurent Koscielny. Wojciech Szczesny takes the free kick.
- 70:25 Steven Davis delivers the ball, clearance made by Laurent Koscielny.
- 69:33 Theo Walcott has an effort at goal from 20 yards. Artur Boruc makes a save.
- 67:36 A cross is delivered by Jason Puncheon.
- 67:18 The ball is delivered by Bacary Sagna, save by Artur Boruc.
- 65:44 Foul by Mikel Arteta on Gaston Ramirez, free kick awarded. Free kick crossed left-footed by Gaston Ramirez, save by Wojciech Szczesny.
- 65:08 Effort on goal by Gaston Ramirez from just outside the area goes harmlessly over the target.
- 65:01 Gaston Ramirez delivers the ball, Thomas Vermaelen makes a clearance.
- 64:46 The referee gives a free kick against Jack Wilshere for handball. Free kick taken by Gaston Ramirez.
- 63:58 Effort on goal by Jason Puncheon from inside the penalty box misses to the right of the target.
- 62:30 Mikel Arteta takes the free kick.
- 62:30 Booking Morgan Schneiderlin goes into the book.
- 62:25 Unfair challenge on Santi Cazorla by Morgan Schneiderlin results in a free kick.
- 61:44 Morgan Schneiderlin sends in a cross, save by Wojciech Szczesny.
- 58:59 Theo Walcott delivers the ball.
- 57:26 Substitution Olivier Giroud joins the action as a substitute, replacing Lukas Podolski.
- 56:49 Theo Walcott takes a shot. Jose Fonte gets a block in.
- 55:03 Drilled right-footed shot by Guly Do Prado. Save by Wojciech Szczesny. Inswinging corner taken from the left by-line by Guly Do Prado.
- 53:41 The official flags Jack Cork offside. Wojciech Szczesny restarts play with the free kick.
- 53:22 Guly Do Prado fouled by Mikel Arteta, the ref awards a free kick. Free kick taken by Morgan Schneiderlin.
- 51:56 The offside flag is raised against Rickie Lambert. Indirect free kick taken by Laurent Koscielny.
- 47:20 The ball is sent over by Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain.
- 45:46 The ball is swung over by Jason Puncheon.
- 45:01 The referee gets the second half underway.
- Half Time
- 45:00+1:04 It is the end of the first-half.
- 44:56 Theo Walcott is flagged offside by the assistant referee. Artur Boruc restarts play with the free kick.
- 43:35 The ball is swung over by Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain.
- 42:45 Jack Wilshere challenges Guly Do Prado unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick taken by Artur Boruc.
- 41:57 Steven Davis challenges Jack Wilshere unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick taken by Mikel Arteta.
- 40:14 Assist on the goal came from Theo Walcott.
- 40:14 GOAL - Guly Do Prado:Southampton 1 - 1 Arsenal An unfortunate own goal is conceded by Guly Do Prado. Southampton 1-1 Arsenal.
- 39:42 Unfair challenge on Mikel Arteta by Jason Puncheon results in a free kick. The free kick is delivered right-footed by Theo Walcott from left wing.
- 39:14 The ball is swung over by Bacary Sagna, save by Artur Boruc.
- 38:58 The ball is sent over by Bacary Sagna, clearance made by Maya Yoshida.
- 38:48 Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain produces a cross, clearance by Maya Yoshida.
- 37:51 The ball is sent over by Lukas Podolski, blocked by Jack Cork.
- 33:59 The assist for the goal came from Jason Puncheon.
- 33:59 GOAL - Gaston Ramirez:Southampton 1 - 0 Arsenal Gaston Ramirez scores a goal from deep inside the penalty box low into the middle of the goal. Southampton 1-0 Arsenal.
- 30:09 Luke Shaw crosses the ball, blocked by Bacary Sagna.
- 28:28 The official flags Rickie Lambert offside. Laurent Koscielny restarts play with the free kick.
- 27:40 The assistant referee flags for offside against Bacary Sagna. Artur Boruc restarts play with the free kick.
- 25:12 Corner from the right by-line taken by Jack Wilshere, Jose Fonte manages to make a clearance.
- 25:03 The ball is swung over by Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, clearance made by Jose Fonte.
- 22:58 Steven Davis produces a cross.
- 22:01 Thomas Vermaelen challenges Rickie Lambert unfairly and gives away a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Jose Fonte.
- 20:24 Unfair challenge on Jack Wilshere by Gaston Ramirez results in a free kick. Wojciech Szczesny takes the free kick.
- 18:13 Luke Shaw fouled by Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, the ref awards a free kick. Free kick taken by Maya Yoshida.
- 17:34 Guly Do Prado delivers the ball, clearance made by Laurent Koscielny.
- 16:58 Rickie Lambert takes a shot from 25 yards. Blocked by Thomas Vermaelen. Theo Walcott is ruled offside. Free kick taken by Jose Fonte.
- 10:27 A cross is delivered by Kieran Gibbs, clearance made by Luke Shaw.
- 10:09 A cross is delivered by Bacary Sagna.
- 8:10 The ball is sent over by Jack Cork, Mikel Arteta makes a clearance.
- 7:03 Inswinging corner taken right-footed by Guly Do Prado from the left by-line to the near post, Lukas Podolski manages to make a clearance.
- 6:22 Inswinging corner taken by Jack Wilshere from the right by-line, comfortable save by Artur Boruc.
- 5:50 Bacary Sagna sends in a cross, save by Artur Boruc.
- 4:15 Santi Cazorla takes a shot. Blocked by Morgan Schneiderlin. Corner taken left-footed by Jack Wilshere.
- 0:00 The referee gets the game underway.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.