Barnsley 1 - 0 Burnley
Teenage striker Danny Rose's first senior goal enabled Barnsley to clinch a last-gasp FA Cup third-round win against visitors Burnley.
Rose, 19, netted the winner for the managerless Tykes just three minutes after coming on as a substitute.
The Clarets looked set to hold out for a hard-earned replay after playing a large portion of the all-Championship match with 10 men.
Tykes' former triumph
Barnsley won the FA Cup in 1912, beating West Bromwich Albion 1-0 in a replay.
Brian Stock was sent off for his second bookable offence after 36 minutes.
An uneventful first half-hour was punctuated by Stock and Marlon Harewood tangling in an off-the-ball incident which saw both players booked as result.
Burnley were then reduced to 10 men eight minutes before the break when Stock earned a second yellow card for a late challenge on Jim O'Brien.
Barnsley took full advantage of the extra man as they dominated possession after that, but were let down by poor finishing.
Stephen Dawson dragged his shot wide before the midfielder failed to make the most of another chance when he fired over following some patient build-up play on the left.
It looked as though a replay was going to be needed to decide the tie but the winning goal finally arrived in the 85th minute.
David Perkins's free-kick was pushed onto the bar by Brian Jensen and substitute Rose was on hand to bundle the ball into the net.
Barnsley caretaker manager David Flitcroft said: "We deserved the result, there's no doubt about that.
"I was made up for Danny Rose getting the winning goal, he's somebody who will score goals for this football club and today he's got a real important one.
"This boy, once he grows into his body, he's going to be some player and some goal-scorer for this football club."
Burnley boss Sean Dyche said: "It was inflicted out of our hands today.
"We were in control of the game and not even at our best but still in control up until the sending off and, to be honest, contained the game well, even after the sending off.
"I'm convinced if we're 11 v 11 we go on and win the game."
Live text and stats
Saturday, 5 January 2013
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 01 Steele
- 03 Golbourne
- 15 McNulty yellow card
- 25 Cranie
- 33 Kennedy (Cywka 68)
- 34 Stones
- 07 Dawson
- 08 O'Brien
- 11 Perkins
- 13 Dagnall (Rose 82)
- 16 Harewood yellow card (Noble-Lazarus 85)
- 12 Alnwick,
- 02 Hassell,
- 06 Foster,
- 19 Cywka,
- 23 Etuhu,
- 24 Noble-Lazarus,
- 32 Rose
- 12 Jensen
- 02 Trippier
- 03 Lafferty
- 04 Duff (Bartley 83)
- 05 Shackell
- 07 Wallace (Richards 69)
- 08 Marney yellow card
- 22 Stock two yellow cards, red card
- 26 Treacy (Edgar 46)
- 09 Vokes
- 14 Ings
- 01 Grant,
- 15 Edgar,
- 16 O'Neill,
- 11 Stanislas,
- 20 Bartley,
- 21 Richards,
- 39 Fletcher
- Barnsley 49%
- Burnley 51%
Attempts on target
- Barnsley 6
- Burnley 1
Attempts off target
- Barnsley 10
- Burnley 7
- Barnsley 8
- Burnley 6
- Barnsley 13
- Burnley 8
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+4:17 The match has reached full-time.
- 90:00+3:32 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Danny Lafferty by Reuben Noble-Lazarus. Free kick taken by Brian Jensen.
- 90:00+2:26 Jason Shackell gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Danny Rose. Jim O'Brien takes the direct free kick.
- 90:00+1:32 Effort from outside the box by Dean Marney goes wide right of the target.
- 89:57 Kieran Trippier sends in a cross, clearance made by Martin Cranie. Corner taken right-footed by Kieran Trippier from the right by-line, Danny Rose makes a clearance.
- 88:34 Kieran Trippier takes a outswinging corner from the right by-line to the near post, clearance by David Perkins.
- 87:32 Shot on goal comes in from Kieran Trippier from the free kick.
- 87:32 Booking Booking for Jimmy McNulty for unsporting behaviour.
- 87:23 Dean Marney fouled by Jimmy McNulty, the ref awards a free kick.
- 86:46 Kieran Trippier takes the inswinging corner, Danny Rose manages to make a clearance.
- 86:15 Outswinging corner taken from the right by-line by Kieran Trippier, clearance by Jimmy McNulty.
- 84:56 GOAL - Danny Rose:Barnsley 1 - 0 Burnley Danny Rose fires in a goal from inside the area to the top right corner of the goal. Barnsley 1-0 Burnley.
- 84:07 Free kick taken by David Perkins.
- 84:07 Substitution (Barnsley) makes a substitution, with Reuben Noble-Lazarus coming on for Marlon Harewood.
- 84:07 Booking Dean Marney goes into the book for unsporting behaviour.
- 84:04 Unfair challenge on Danny Rose by Dean Marney results in a free kick.
- 82:39 Substitution Marvin Bartley on for Michael Duff.
- 81:07 Direct free kick taken by Brian Jensen.
- 81:07 Substitution Danny Rose on for Chris Dagnall.
- 81:07 Foul by Chris Dagnall on Michael Duff, free kick awarded.
- 80:15 Dane Richards concedes a free kick for a foul on Scott Golbourne. Free kick taken by Jim O'Brien.
- 78:03 Unfair challenge on Chris Dagnall by Kieran Trippier results in a free kick. David Perkins restarts play with the free kick. Effort on goal by Jim O'Brien from just inside the penalty box goes harmlessly over the target.
- 75:44 Marlon Harewood takes a shot. Blocked by Jason Shackell. Marlon Harewood is penalised for handball and concedes a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Brian Jensen.
- 72:09 Corner taken by Kieran Trippier from the left by-line to the near post, clearance by David Perkins.
- 71:10 Outswinging corner taken by Jim O'Brien, Sam Vokes manages to make a clearance. Shot from just outside the area by David Perkins goes over the bar.
- 69:13 Corner taken by Kieran Trippier from the right by-line, Headed effort from deep inside the penalty area by Jason Shackell goes harmlessly over the crossbar.
- 68:02 Substitution (Burnley) makes a substitution, with Dane Richards coming on for Ross Wallace.
- 67:04 Substitution Tomasz Cywka is brought on as a substitute for Tom Kennedy.
- 67:04 Jim O'Brien takes a shot. Blocked by David Edgar.
- 59:01 Shot by Marlon Harewood from outside the box goes over the target.
- 58:30 Effort from the edge of the penalty area by Sam Vokes goes wide of the left-hand post.
- 55:50 Jim O'Brien decides to take the corner short.
- 54:47 Effort on goal by Stephen Dawson from just inside the penalty box goes harmlessly over the target.
- 52:25 Free kick awarded for a foul by Marlon Harewood on Jason Shackell. Michael Duff takes the direct free kick.
- 50:47 Scott Golbourne concedes a free kick for a foul on Kieran Trippier. Kieran Trippier takes the direct free kick.
- 49:19 Free kick awarded for a foul by Chris Dagnall on David Edgar. Brian Jensen takes the free kick.
- 46:53 Stephen Dawson has an effort at goal from just outside the box which goes wide of the right-hand post.
- 46:24 Inswinging corner taken from the left by-line by Jim O'Brien, Kieran Trippier makes a clearance.
- 45:01 The referee gets the second half started.
- 45:01 Substitution David Edgar comes on in place of Keith Treacy.
- Half Time
- 45:00+2:20 It is the end of the first-half.
- 45:00+0:41 Effort on goal by Scott Golbourne from inside the penalty area goes harmlessly over the bar.
- 43:54 Chris Dagnall is ruled offside. Indirect free kick taken by Brian Jensen.
- 42:55 Corner taken right-footed by Jim O'Brien, save made by Brian Jensen.
- 40:34 Ross Wallace has shot on goal from a long way out that goes wide left.
- 39:45 Short corner worked by Stephen Dawson.
- 36:36 Stephen Dawson produces a shot on goal direct from the free kick, blocked by Ross Wallace. Effort on goal by David Perkins from outside the area goes harmlessly over the bar.
- 36:36 Sent off The referee shows Brian Stock a red card.
- 36:31 Brian Stock gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Jim O'Brien.
- 34:51 Free kick awarded for a foul by Chris Dagnall on Danny Ings. Jason Shackell restarts play with the free kick.
- 34:09 Centre by Marlon Harewood, clearance by Michael Duff.
- 33:03 Ross Wallace takes a long range shot clearing the crossbar.
- 32:36 Foul by Jim O'Brien on Brian Stock, free kick awarded. Jason Shackell takes the direct free kick.
- 31:57 Long range shot from David Perkins misses to the left of the goal.
- 31:42 Jason Shackell gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Chris Dagnall. Free kick taken by John Stones.
- 29:33 Chris Dagnall gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Jason Shackell. Free kick taken by Brian Jensen.
- 27:05 The referee blows for offside. Brian Jensen restarts play with the free kick.
- 25:51 Foul by Jim O'Brien on Danny Lafferty, free kick awarded. Jason Shackell restarts play with the free kick.
- 24:27 Direct effort from the free kick comes in from Tom Kennedy.
- 24:27 Booking The referee shows Brian Stock a yellow card.
- 24:14 Booking Marlon Harewood receives a yellow card for dissent.
- 22:38 Marlon Harewood takes a shot. Save made by Brian Jensen. Keith Treacy challenges Stephen Dawson unfairly and gives away a free kick.
- 21:23 Unfair challenge on Jim O'Brien by Brian Stock results in a free kick. John Stones restarts play with the free kick.
- 19:45 Chris Dagnall takes a shot. Comfortable save by Brian Jensen.
- 18:13 John Stones gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Keith Treacy. Jason Shackell takes the direct free kick.
- 14:11 Foul by Jimmy McNulty on Danny Ings, free kick awarded. The ball is swung over by Ross Wallace, Header from deep inside the area by Michael Duff goes over the bar.
- 13:04 The referee blows for offside. Jason Shackell takes the indirect free kick.
- 12:04 Centre by Keith Treacy, save made by Luke Steele.
- 9:34 Jim O'Brien takes a short corner.
- 8:07 Sam Vokes has an effort at goal from just inside the box that misses to the right of the goal.
- 5:43 Stephen Dawson gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Keith Treacy. Jason Shackell restarts play with the free kick.
- 4:07 Ross Wallace is caught offside. Luke Steele restarts play with the free kick.
- 2:51 Corner taken right-footed by Jim O'Brien from the right by-line, Jason Shackell makes a clearance. Inswinging corner taken from the left by-line by Jim O'Brien, save by Brian Jensen.
- 0:45 Stephen Dawson has a shot on goal from long range that goes wide left.
- 0:00 The match begins.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.