Michael Owen's first start in 14 months ended in frustration as Stoke were held by Crystal Palace in an FA Cup third round match of few chances.
Owen, 33, started with former England partner Peter Crouch in attack, but neither were able to threaten.
Palace, meanwhile, went close through Wilfried Zaha's powerful strike in the first half, before Yannick Bolasie fired over early in the second half.
Substitute Cameron Jerome had Stoke's best chance late on but shot wide.
After joining Stoke in September, Owen was given his first start by manager Tony Pulis at the ground where he made his first-team debut - and scored - for Liverpool back in 1997.
He was named alongside Crouch in attack, renewing a partnership that combined to score an impressive 16 goals in 16 games for England.
Owen's long wait
Michael Owen's start for Stoke was his first since Manchester United's 2-0 win against Otelul Galati in the Champions League on 2 November 2011.
But the pair did not really trouble the Crystal Palace defence throughout this encounter, with Owen coming off early in the second half having failed to manage a shot on target.
The only time the two did combine to create anything of note was in the 12th minute as Crouch somehow volleyed wide from half-a-yard following Owen's flick on.
After that chance it was the home side who created the better openings, and they looked the most likely to break the deadlock before half time.
First, Thomas Sorenson did well to keep out a rasping free kick from Andre Moritz before the Danish keeper produced a sprawling save to deny Zaha following a good run by the in-demand winger.
Crystal Palace picked up from where they had left off after the restart as Bolasie found space to turn and fire a shot that flew just wide of the Stoke goal, before Moritz failed to find the target from a good position.
Stoke were far from at their best and Pulis subsequently made two changes in quick succession as Owen was replaced by Charlie Adam before Cameron Jerome came on for Michael Kightly.
Jerome threatened almost immediately as he turned away from Damien Delaney to open up space for himself, but his half-volley was gathered by Crystal Palace keeper Lewis Price.
Chances were few after that, with Crystal Palace substitute Jason Banton hitting the side netting, while Adam's lobbed effort flew well wide.
Jerome's drilled effort was off target in stoppage time, meaning the tie will be decided in a replay at the Britannia Stadium.
Crystal Palace manager Ian Holloway:
"I wanted to win or lose, basically, and wasn't bothered which as long as we had a good performance.
"But the way the game went I'm glad we didn't lose because I don't think my boys deserved to lose.
"It's looking like my team now, and if that's after eight weeks I'm looking forward to the rest of my four years in charge."
Stoke manager Tony Pulis:
"When the draw was made, we knew this would be a very tough fixture.
"They played really well. They've got some dangerous players in their team and we are pleased with the result. They are a good side, Ian Holloway's got them well-motivated and it was always going to be difficult.
"I was bringing on players like Kenwyne Jones, Cameron Jerome and Charlie Adam to try to win the game. But both teams are in the draw so that's something to look forward to."
Live text and stats
Saturday, 5 January 2013
- Crystal Palace 57%
- Stoke 43%
- Crystal Palace 10
- Stoke 14
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+4:15 The referee signals the end of the game.
- 90:00+3:05 The assistant referee flags for offside against Jonathan Walters. Lewis Price takes the indirect free kick.
- 90:00+2:33 Shot from inside the area by Peter Ramage clears the bar.
- 90:00+1:23 Jonathan Williams fouled by Geoff Cameron, the ref awards a free kick. Andre Moritz takes the free kick.
- 90:00+0:01 Jonathan Walters is penalised for a handball. Dean Moxey takes the free kick.
- 88:53 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Cameron Jerome by Mile Jedinak. Free kick taken by Charlie Adam.
- 88:22 Effort on goal by Andre Moritz from long range goes harmlessly over the bar.
- 87:35 Charlie Adam gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Andre Moritz. Jonathan Parr takes the direct free kick.
- 86:52 Unfair challenge on Dean Moxey by Kenwyne Jones results in a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Mile Jedinak.
- 86:15 Unfair challenge on Andre Moritz by Dean Whitehead results in a free kick. Mile Jedinak restarts play with the free kick.
- 85:33 Direct free kick taken by Charlie Adam.
- 85:33 Booking Caution for Jason Banton.
- 85:06 Jason Banton concedes a free kick for a foul on Charlie Adam.
- 84:37 Charlie Adam has an effort at goal from outside the area which goes wide right of the goal.
- 83:54 Thomas Sorensen takes the free kick.
- 82:51 Jonathan Parr produces a left-footed shot from just outside the area that goes wide left of the goal.
- 79:35 Long range shot by Charlie Adam goes over the target.
- 77:59 Charlie Adam takes the inswinging corner, save by Lewis Price.
- 77:36 Jonathan Williams takes a shot. Save by Thomas Sorensen.
- 77:13 Charlie Adam crosses the ball, Peter Ramage makes a clearance.
- 76:39 Charlie Adam takes a short corner.
- 74:46 Robert Huth gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Jonathan Williams. Free kick taken by Mile Jedinak.
- 73:32 Substitution Kenwyne Jones joins the action as a substitute, replacing Peter Crouch.
- 73:10 Close range shot by Jason Banton misses to the left of the target.
- 72:05 The assistant referee flags for offside against Peter Crouch. Lewis Price takes the indirect free kick.
- 70:21 Inswinging corner taken left-footed by Charlie Adam from the right by-line.
- 69:15 Corner from left by-line taken by Charlie Adam.
- 68:26 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Mile Jedinak by Peter Crouch. Indirect free kick taken by Lewis Price.
- 67:34 Direct free kick taken by Ryan Shawcross.
- 67:34 Substitution (Crystal Palace) makes a substitution, with Jason Banton coming on for Yannick Bolasie.
- 67:34 Unfair challenge on Peter Crouch by Andre Moritz results in a free kick.
- 66:15 Steven Nzonzi gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Yannick Bolasie. Dean Moxey restarts play with the free kick.
- 65:17 Charlie Adam takes the free kick.
- 65:17 Substitution Jermaine Easter leaves the field to be replaced by Kwesi Appiah.
- 65:17 Stuart O'Keefe concedes a free kick for a foul on Cameron Jerome.
- 63:26 Geoff Cameron gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Jonathan Williams. Andre Moritz crosses the ball from the
free kick left-footed from right wing.
- 61:29 A cross is delivered by Jonathan Walters, save made by Lewis Price.
- 57:51 Cameron Jerome takes a shot. Save made by Lewis Price.
- 54:44 Substitution Jonathan Williams comes on in place of Wilfried Zaha.
- 53:39 Damien Delaney restarts play with the free kick.
- 53:39 Substitution Cameron Jerome replaces Michael Kightly.
- 53:39 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Mile Jedinak by Peter Crouch.
- 53:16 Yannick Bolasie takes a shot. Save by Thomas Sorensen.
- 52:45 Substitution Charlie Adam replaces Michael Owen.
- 52:17 Effort from long distance by Andre Moritz goes wide right of the goal.
- 51:19 Michael Kightly has an effort at goal from just outside the box which goes wide of the right-hand post.
- 50:13 Foul by Jermaine Easter on Robert Huth, free kick awarded. Robert Huth takes the direct free kick.
- 49:29 Centre by Mile Jedinak.
- 48:17 Yannick Bolasie has an effort at goal from outside the penalty box which goes wide right of the target.
- 45:01 The match restarts for the second half.
- Half Time
- 45:00+2:15 The players leave the pitch at half time.
- 45:00+0:55 The assistant referee flags for offside against Geoff Cameron. Lewis Price takes the free kick.
- 45:00+0:21 Unfair challenge on Robert Huth by Jermaine Easter results in a free kick. Free kick taken by Geoff Cameron.
- 42:07 Yannick Bolasie takes a short corner.
- 40:35 Corner taken left-footed by Andre Moritz to the near post, Steven Nzonzi manages to make a clearance.
- 40:20 Wilfried Zaha takes a shot. Save by Thomas Sorensen.
- 36:57 The ball is sent over by Andre Moritz, save by Thomas Sorensen.
- 35:57 The offside flag is raised against Jonathan Walters. Lewis Price takes the free kick.
- 33:24 Andre Moritz produces a left-footed shot from the edge of the area and misses to the left of the target.
- 31:37 Booking Jonathan Walters is cautioned by the ref for unsporting behaviour.
- Correction - 31:29 Jonathan Walters gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Dean Moxey. Centre by Andre Moritz, Dean Moxey takes a
shot. Blocked by Geoff Cameron.
- 31:29 Steven Nzonzi gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Dean Moxey. Andre Moritz sends in a cross, Dean Moxey takes
a shot. Geoff Cameron gets a block in.
- 30:11 Ryan Shotton delivers the ball.
- 29:31 The ball is delivered by Yannick Bolasie.
- 27:15 Dean Moxey fouled by Jonathan Walters, the ref awards a free kick. Free kick taken by Dean Moxey.
- 25:59 Jermaine Easter fouled by Robert Huth, the ref awards a free kick. Yannick Bolasie restarts play with the free kick.
- 25:45 The ball is swung over by Wilfried Zaha, clearance made by Robert Huth.
- 23:08 Shot by Geoff Cameron from deep inside the penalty area misses to the right of the target.
- 22:00 Peter Crouch challenges Jonathan Parr unfairly and gives away a free kick. Jonathan Parr restarts play with the free kick.
- 20:57 Ryan Shotton sends in a cross, Header from deep inside the penalty area by Peter Crouch goes harmlessly over the crossbar.
- 20:21 Direct free kick taken by Ryan Shawcross.
- 20:21 Booking Stuart O'Keefe receives a yellow card.
- 19:48 Foul by Stuart O'Keefe on Jonathan Walters, free kick awarded.
- 19:03 Unfair challenge on Ryan Shawcross by Jermaine Easter results in a free kick. Thomas Sorensen restarts play with the free
- 18:10 Andre Moritz takes a shot. Ryan Shawcross gets a block in.
- 17:49 Jonathan Walters sends in a cross, clearance by Damien Delaney.
- 12:42 Free kick awarded for a foul by Steven Nzonzi on Mile Jedinak. Direct free kick taken by Andre Moritz.
- 12:00 Effort from inside the six-yard box by Peter Crouch goes wide left of the target.
- 10:58 Outswinging corner taken from the right by-line by Michael Kightly.
- 8:48 Geoff Cameron produces a cross, clearance by Dean Moxey.
- 7:20 Yannick Bolasie gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Ryan Shotton. Direct free kick taken by Ryan Shawcross.
- 2:10 Jermaine Easter takes a shot. Save by Thomas Sorensen.
- 1:12 Jermaine Easter concedes a free kick for a foul on Jonathan Walters. Free kick taken by Ryan Shawcross.
- 0:00 The game gets underway.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.