Blackburn 2 - 0 Bristol City
Blackburn earned a third straight win since the sacking of Henning Berg with a comfortable FA Cup success against Championship rivals Bristol City.
Under the guidance of caretaker boss Gary Bowyer, Rovers opened the scoring when away goalkeeper Tom Heaton failed to stop Danny Murphy's 25-yard strike.
Grant Hanley doubled their advantage by poking in Scott Dann's knockdown.
City rarely threatened Rovers stopper Jake Kean as the six-time winners cruised into the fourth round.
Bowyer and head of youth Terry McPhillips were told they would stay in charge of first-team affairs until the end of January following impressive wins over Barnsley and Nottingham Forest.
Struggling City, who are second bottom of the Championship table, presented few obstacles to the pair clinching a third successive victory in front of a sparse Ewood Park crowd of 5,504.
Blackburn were sharply out of the blocks and, after Diogo Rosado narrowly failed to connect with a dangerous cross from right-back Adam Henley, Murphy fired them ahead.
The former England international collected a loose pass from Mark Wilson, advanced towards the City area and lashed a rising shot from 25 yards that caught out goalkeeper Heaton.
The visitors looked for a swift response and former Rovers striker Jon Stead might have done better when Ryan Taylor headed Wilson's cross back across goal.
They also threatened in first-half stoppage time when Kean had to be alert as Taylor nodded goalwards from Liam Fontaine's flicked header.
The early stages of the second half were largely low-key until Rovers extended their lead before the hour.
Murphy's corner was cleared as far as Ruben Rochina, who chipped towards Dann and the ball fell for his centre-back partner Hanley to bundle home.
Blackburn caretaker manager Gary Bowyer: "It was a great start for us and a good strike from Danny. Since myself and Terry (McPhillips) have come in and had to look after the team, Danny has been brilliant.
"His support for us has been magnificent and we can't praise him enough. His goal was good and he reminded the lads yesterday that he's won the FA Cup with Liverpool so he's been great for the lads and he's been great for us. We'd be daft not to call on his experience."
Bristol City boss Derek McInnes: "It didn't feel like a proper cup tie. It was strange, and I felt that we've gifted Blackburn both goals but certainly the first goal is crucial.
"We give the ball away in an area we know we have to handle the ball well because Blackburn are a counter-attacking team, and want to get you on the back foot.
"Certainly the goal they scored from, we should be dealing with. I felt second half, we made changes to freshen things up.
"We brought three substitutes on quite early but we lose a second goal from the second part of a set play and that's another gift. It's a messy goal. I don't think Blackburn have had to work too hard for both of their goals."
Live text and stats
Saturday, 5 January 2013
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 34 Kean
- 03 Mn Olsson
- 16 Dann
- 27 Henley (Vukcevic 35)
- 31 G Hanley yellow card
- 06 Lowe (Pedersen 63)
- 13 Murphy
- 38 Rosado yellow card (King 77)
- 11 Rhodes
- 23 Rochina
- 39 Kazim-Richards
- 29 Sandomierski,
- 12 Pedersen,
- 33 Vukcevic,
- 40 Fernandez,
- 15 King,
- 21 Nuno Gomes,
- 25 Goodwillie
- 01 Heaton
- 03 Wilson (Reid 63)
- 04 Fontaine yellow card
- 06 Carey
- 12 Wilson
- 17 Cunningham (Woolford 70)
- 14 Skuse
- 15 Pearson
- 21 Anderson
- 09 Stead (Davies 59)
- 18 Taylor
- 22 Gerken,
- 23 Edwards,
- 39 Bates,
- 11 Woolford,
- 24 Reid,
- 29 Burns,
- 16 Davies
- Blackburn 65%
- Bristol City 35%
Attempts on target
- Blackburn 5
- Bristol City 1
Attempts off target
- Blackburn 9
- Bristol City 5
- Blackburn 6
- Bristol City 4
- Blackburn 8
- Bristol City 8
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+3:10 The referee brings the game to a close.
- 87:26 Corner taken by Morten Gamst Pedersen from the left by-line.
- 86:49 Ruben Rochina takes a shot. Blocked by Louis Carey.
- 84:20 Inswinging corner taken left-footed by Morten Gamst Pedersen from the left by-line to the near post, clearance by Steven Davies.
- 84:01 Colin Kazim-Richards takes a shot. Save by Tom Heaton.
- 83:08 Martyn Woolford produces a left-footed shot from close range which goes wide of the right-hand post.
- 82:15 Liam Fontaine fouled by Colin Kazim-Richards, the ref awards a free kick. Indirect free kick taken by Liam Fontaine.
- 81:18 Booking Grant Hanley shown a yellow card.
- 80:57 Grant Hanley challenges Tom Heaton unfairly and gives away a free kick. Tom Heaton takes the free kick.
- 80:29 Morten Gamst Pedersen takes the inswinging corner, Tom Heaton makes a save.
- 80:05 Martin Olsson takes a shot. Tom Heaton makes a save.
- 78:32 Shot by Martin Olsson from deep inside the penalty area misses to the left of the target.
- 77:24 Outswinging corner taken by Steven Davies.
- 76:34 Substitution Joshua King joins the action as a substitute, replacing Diogo Rosado.
- 75:54 Booking Liam Fontaine is booked.
- 75:38 Liam Fontaine gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Diogo Rosado. Scott Dann takes the free kick.
- 74:24 Simon Vukcevic takes a shot. Tom Heaton makes a comfortable save.
- 72:51 Inswinging corner taken by Steven Davies from the right by-line, Colin Kazim-Richards manages to make a clearance.
- 72:22 Steven Davies takes a shot. Comfortable save by Jake Kean.
- 71:39 Direct free kick taken by Martyn Woolford.
- 71:39 Booking Diogo Rosado booked.
- 71:32 Unfair challenge on Martyn Woolford by Diogo Rosado results in a free kick.
- 70:20 A cross is delivered by Simon Vukcevic, clearance by Paul Anderson.
- 69:36 Substitution (Bristol City) makes a substitution, with Martyn Woolford coming on for Greg Cunningham.
- 67:40 The ball is sent over by Diogo Rosado.
- 66:56 Outswinging corner taken by Morten Gamst Pedersen from the left by-line, Ryan Taylor makes a clearance.
- 66:45 A cross is delivered by Colin Kazim-Richards, clearance made by James Wilson.
- 65:30 Bobby Reid has an effort at goal from just inside the box that misses to the left of the goal.
- 64:01 The ball is sent over by Morten Gamst Pedersen, Ruben Rochina produces a right-footed shot from inside the area that clears the bar.
- 62:07 Substitution Morten Gamst Pedersen replaces Jason Lowe.
- 62:07 Substitution (Bristol City) makes a substitution, with Bobby Reid coming on for Mark Wilson.
- 58:43 Substitution Jon Stead goes off and Steven Davies comes on.
- 57:11 The assist for the goal came from Scott Dann.
- 57:11 GOAL - Grant Hanley:Blackburn 2 - 0 Bristol City Grant Hanley fires in a goal from inside the six-yard box to the bottom right corner of the goal. Blackburn 2-0 Bristol City.
- 56:13 Free kick awarded for a foul by Mark Wilson on Martin Olsson. Free kick crossed by Danny Murphy, clearance by Stephen Pearson.
- 54:11 Free kick awarded for a foul by Mark Wilson on Martin Olsson. Jake Kean restarts play with the free kick.
- 53:22 Liam Fontaine fouled by Ruben Rochina, the ref awards a free kick. Liam Fontaine takes the free kick.
- 51:06 Outswinging corner taken from the right by-line by Danny Murphy. Colin Kazim-Richards challenges James Wilson unfairly and gives away a free kick. Indirect free kick taken by Tom Heaton.
- 50:49 Ruben Rochina takes a shot. Louis Carey gets a block in.
- 50:10 Cole Skuse gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Ruben Rochina. Danny Murphy restarts play with the free kick.
- 45:01 The game restarts for the second half.
- Half Time
- 45:00+2:22 It is the end of the first-half.
- 45:00+1:31 Mark Wilson takes a short corner.
- Correction - 45:00+0:51 Liam Fontaine crosses the ball, Header from deep inside the penalty area by Ryan Taylor goes harmlessly over the crossbar.
- 45:00+0:51 The ball is sent over by Liam Fontaine, Header from deep inside the area by Ryan Taylor goes harmlessly over the crossbar.
- 41:28 Ruben Rochina has an effort at goal from outside the penalty box which goes wide right of the target.
- 38:19 Jon Stead gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Grant Hanley. Jake Kean takes the indirect free kick.
- 36:02 Ruben Rochina takes a shot. Clearance by Liam Fontaine.
- 34:41 Substitution Adam Henley leaves the field to be replaced by Simon Vukcevic.
- 34:41 The assistant referee flags for offside against Jon Stead. Jake Kean takes the indirect free kick.
- 28:39 Foul by Stephen Pearson on Jordan Rhodes, free kick awarded. Free kick crossed right-footed by Danny Murphy from right channel, Jon Stead makes a clearance.
- 23:48 Greg Cunningham challenges Jason Lowe unfairly and gives away a free kick. Jake Kean takes the free kick.
- 23:01 Centre by Colin Kazim-Richards.
- 21:20 The ball is sent over by Colin Kazim-Richards, Liam Fontaine manages to make a clearance.
- 20:46 Greg Cunningham takes a outswinging corner to the near post.
- 20:31 Cole Skuse takes a shot. Danny Murphy gets a block in.
- 17:20 Colin Kazim-Richards takes a shot from just inside the penalty box which clears the bar.
- 15:34 Foul by Adam Henley on Stephen Pearson, free kick awarded. Greg Cunningham crosses the ball in from the free kick, clearance made by Danny Murphy.
- Correction - 14:10 Unfair challenge on Liam Fontaine by Colin Kazim-Richards results in a free kick. Free kick taken by Liam Fontaine.
- 14:10 Liam Fontaine fouled by Colin Kazim-Richards, the ref awards a free kick. Liam Fontaine takes the indirect free kick.
- 12:46 Inswinging corner taken from the left by-line by Danny Murphy, clearance made by Paul Anderson.
- 12:20 Colin Kazim-Richards takes a shot. Save by Tom Heaton.
- 12:02 Colin Kazim-Richards takes a shot. Liam Fontaine gets a block in.
- 11:19 Close range headed effort by Jon Stead clears the crossbar.
- 10:17 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Jake Kean by Ryan Taylor. Jake Kean restarts play with the free kick.
- 6:56 GOAL - Danny Murphy:Blackburn 1 - 0 Bristol City Danny Murphy finds the net with a goal from outside the penalty area to the top left corner of the goal. Blackburn 1-0 Bristol City.
- 4:06 Paul Anderson fouled by Grant Hanley, the ref awards a free kick. Mark Wilson takes the free kick.
- 0:00 The match gets underway.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.