Brighton 2 - 0 Newcastle
Championship side Brighton knocked 10-man Newcastle out of the FA Cup for a second straight season to heap more misery on Alan Pardew's squad.
Andrea Orlandi scored a delightful opener after the half-hour mark before the Premier League Magpies suffered a further setback when Shola Amoebi was sent off for a second bookable offence.
Away day misery
- Newcastle have now played 16 away games in all competitions this season and have not won any of them.
- Source: Opta
Substitute Will Hoskins sealed victory late on, rolling in David Lopez's pass.
Newcastle offered little as they fell to a seventh defeat in eight games.
This was an impressive victory for Brighton, a result that will add to the optimism that surrounds this upwardly mobile club and strengthen their resolve to host Newcastle in next season's Premier League. The cool passing game of Liam Bridcutt at the heart of their midfield was tremendous.
But this was another dark day in what has become a chastening season for Newcastle. It is the third season in a row the Premier League side have been knocked out of the FA Cup by lower league opposition and the fourth successive time they have lost to Brighton in the competition.
Nine defeats in 11 league games has done little to encourage harmony at St James' Park, while the departure of Demba Ba and injuries to key players have undermined the club's efforts to build on last season's success.
Long before kick-off, this tie bore all the hallmarks of a third-round upset. Newcastle had an unfamiliar look, and not only because of their burgundy shirts, having been forced to name a side lacking Fabricio Coloccini, Papiss Cisse, Yohan Cabaye, Steven Taylor and a string of other leading names because of injury and absence.
Brothers in arms
- Shola and Sammy Ameobi became the first brothers to start in the same Newcastle side since George and Ted Robledo graced St James' Park, winning the FA Cup together in 1952.
With only 13 league places separating the sides, Brighton sensed a chance to repeat last season's fourth-round victory and went for the jugular from the off.
Sharper to the ball, and swifter to make use of it, the Seagulls toyed with their more celebrated opponents for much of the opening 45 minutes, producing some stylish attacking moves while tackling, battling and dominating territory in their uncomplicated and effective way.
They might have snatched the lead after eight minutes, when Gary Dicker forced James Perch to head off the line from Lopez's right-wing cross. Lopez himself threatened again moments later, stinging Rob Elliot's palms with a fierce drive from wide on the right.
It took 20 minutes for the visitors to find their feet, but just as they appeared to be gaining a measure of control, Brighton scored.
A rejuvenated Wayne Bridge surged down the left flank, gathered Gordon Greer's raking 50-yard pass and crossed for Orlandi, who flicked the ball up with his left foot and delightfully fired home with the outside of the same boot.
Pardew threw Nile Ranger and Paul Dummett on at half-time but his side's prospects of turning the tide looked remote even before referee Lee Probert showed Shola Amoebi a second yellow card for a foul on Lopez.
With humiliation looming, Newcastle found hope. Home goalkeeper Casper Ankergren was forced to his left to claw the ball away after Greer inadvertently diverted Sammy Ameobi's cutback towards goal, moments after Sylvain Marveaux saw a fierce shot blocked en route to goal .
But with a reviving Newcastle pushing on, Brighton landed the decisive blow. Lopez broke into space and found Hoskins with a glorious through-ball, and the substitute beat the offside trap and slid the ball home to spark jubilant scenes on the south coast. Lightning had struck twice.
Brighton manager Gus Poyet: "It was all down to my players.
"They realised the opportunity and we were lucky that Newcastle couldn't bring their best players but we had to take advantage and we did.
"With all respect to them today, when you have a team Coloccini, Cisse, Cabaye they are ten times better than you. But today we were equal in general play and that was advantage. We didn't create too many chances today but we were a good team to play against a Premier League team."
Live text and stats
Saturday, 5 January 2013
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 16 Ankergren
- 03 Greer
- 06 El-Abd
- 28 Bridge
- 04 Hammond yellow card (Crofts 83)
- 11 Orlandi (LuaLua 60)
- 18 Dicker
- 21 David Lopez
- 26 Bridcutt
- 09 Barnes
- 12 Mackail-Smith (Hoskins 71)
- 29 Kuszczak,
- 05 Dunk,
- 08 Crofts,
- 25 LuaLua,
- 30 Buckley,
- 07 Hoskins,
- 10 Dobbie
- 21 Elliot
- 03 Santon
- 06 Williamson
- 14 Perch (Dummett 46)
- 34 Tavernier
- 08 Anita
- 20 Bigirimana
- 25 Obertan (Marveaux 71)
- 39 Abeid yellow card (Ranger 46)
- 23 Sh Ameobi two yellow cards, red card
- 28 Sa Ameobi
- Brighton 63%
- Newcastle 37%
Attempts on target
- Brighton 3
- Newcastle 5
Attempts off target
- Brighton 3
- Newcastle 3
- Brighton 4
- Newcastle 3
- Brighton 5
- Newcastle 7
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+3:46 The match has reached full-time.
- 90:00+3:31 Mike Williamson takes a shot. Adam El-Abd gets a block in.
- 90:00+3:00 Inswinging corner taken by Vurnon Anita from the left by-line.
- 90:00+2:03 A cross is delivered by Sylvain Marveaux, clearance by Gordon Greer.
- 89:58 Nile Ranger takes a shot. Save by Casper Ankergren.
- 86:29 Assist on the goal came from Moreno David Lopez.
- 86:29 GOAL - Will Hoskins:Brighton 2 - 0 Newcastle Goal scored by Will Hoskins from deep inside the penalty area low into the middle of the goal. Brighton 2-0 Newcastle.
- 85:53 Unfair challenge on Liam Bridcutt by Sammy Ameobi results in a free kick. Adam El-Abd takes the direct free kick.
- 84:45 Effort from outside the penalty box by Kazenga LuaLua goes wide left of the target.
- 84:17 Moreno David Lopez decides to take a short corner.
- 83:29 Davide Santon challenges Kazenga LuaLua unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick crossed right-footed by Moreno David Lopez from left wing, Vurnon Anita manages to make a clearance.
- 82:53 Substitution (Brighton) makes a substitution, with Andrew Crofts coming on for Dean Hammond.
- 82:20 Inswinging corner taken by Moreno David Lopez from the right by-line.
- 81:58 Wayne Bridge takes a shot. James Tavernier gets a block in.
- Correction - 80:35 Sammy Ameobi challenges Liam Bridcutt unfairly and gives away a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Wayne Bridge.
- 80:35 Sammy Ameobi gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Liam Bridcutt. Wayne Bridge takes the direct free kick.
- 77:54 Unfair challenge on Paul Dummett by Ashley Barnes results in a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Rob Elliot.
- 77:20 The ball is swung over by Paul Dummett.
- 76:07 The ball is sent over by Sammy Ameobi, save by Casper Ankergren.
- 75:00 Dean Hammond gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Vurnon Anita. Direct free kick taken by Rob Elliot.
- 73:48 Shot from 12 yards from Sylvain Marveaux. Liam Bridcutt gets a block in. Corner taken by Vurnon Anita, Nile Ranger has a header from deep inside the six-yard box and clears the crossbar.
- 73:08 The offside flag is raised against Will Hoskins. Rob Elliot takes the indirect free kick.
- 70:38 Substitution Sylvain Marveaux joins the action as a substitute, replacing Gabriel Obertan.
- 70:16 Substitution Craig Mackail-Smith goes off and Will Hoskins comes on.
- 69:13 The ball is delivered by Sammy Ameobi, clearance made by Adam El-Abd.
- 64:35 A cross is delivered by Kazenga LuaLua, James Tavernier manages to make a clearance.
- 63:53 The ball is sent over by Kazenga LuaLua, save made by Rob Elliot.
- 62:21 Free kick taken by Liam Bridcutt.
- 62:21 Sent off Shola Ameobi receives a red card for second bookable offence.
- 62:00 Free kick awarded for a foul by Shola Ameobi on Moreno David Lopez.
- 61:07 Inswinging corner taken by Moreno David Lopez, James Tavernier makes a clearance.
- 59:21 Substitution Kazenga LuaLua comes on in place of Andrea Orlandi.
- 57:38 Craig Mackail-Smith produces a cross, clearance made by Mike Williamson.
- 54:55 The official flags Craig Mackail-Smith offside. Rob Elliot restarts play with the free kick.
- 54:18 Effort on goal by Nile Ranger from deep inside the area goes harmlessly over the bar.
- 53:49 Foul by Wayne Bridge on Sammy Ameobi, free kick awarded. Vurnon Anita restarts play with the free kick.
- 52:14 Andrea Orlandi produces a right-footed shot from just outside the area that goes harmlessly over the bar.
- 50:16 The ball is swung over by Andrea Orlandi, Mike Williamson manages to make a clearance.
- 49:11 The ball is delivered by Vurnon Anita.
- 47:56 Gordon Greer restarts play with the free kick.
- 47:56 Booking The referee shows Shola Ameobi a yellow card for unsporting behaviour.
- 47:41 Unfair challenge on Gary Dicker by Shola Ameobi results in a free kick.
- 45:01 The referee starts the second half.
- 45:01 Substitution Nile Ranger is brought on as a substitute for Mehdi Abeid.
- 45:01 Substitution Paul Dummett on for James Perch.
- Half Time
- 45:00+1:10 It is the end of the first-half.
- 45:00+0:52 The ball is sent over by Gabriel Obertan, Adam El-Abd makes a clearance.
- 43:42 James Tavernier sends in a cross.
- 40:20 Free kick awarded for a foul by Gael Bigirimana on Andrea Orlandi. Andrea Orlandi takes the free kick.
- 39:40 Booking The referee cautions Mehdi Abeid for unsporting behaviour.
- 38:33 The referee blows for offside. Free kick taken by Rob Elliot.
- 36:02 Vurnon Anita has an effort at goal from the edge of the area that misses to the right of the target.
- 34:16 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Gael Bigirimana by Ashley Barnes. Direct free kick taken by Gael Bigirimana.
- 33:59 Shola Ameobi takes a shot. Save by Casper Ankergren.
- 32:25 The assist for the goal came from Wayne Bridge.
- 32:25 GOAL - Andrea Orlandi:Brighton 1 - 0 Newcastle Goal scored by Andrea Orlandi from deep inside the penalty box to the bottom right corner of the goal. Brighton 1-0 Newcastle.
- 32:17 Wayne Bridge sends in a cross,
- 29:10 Centre by Gael Bigirimana.
- 28:33 Sammy Ameobi crosses the ball, clearance made by Wayne Bridge.
- 28:06 Davide Santon crosses the ball, clearance made by Gordon Greer.
- 25:39 Foul by Ashley Barnes on Sammy Ameobi, free kick awarded. Free kick crossed right-footed by Vurnon Anita.
- 24:33 The ball is swung over by James Tavernier, clearance by Gordon Greer.
- 23:11 Booking Dean Hammond booked.
- 22:08 Corner taken by Vurnon Anita, clearance made by Ashley Barnes.
- 21:47 Shot by Gael Bigirimana. Casper Ankergren makes a save.
- 21:19 Gabriel Obertan crosses the ball, Adam El-Abd gets a block in.
- Correction - 21:15 Booking Dean Hammond is cautioned by the ref for unsporting behaviour.
- 21:04 Centre by Moreno David Lopez.
- 19:01 The referee blows for offside against Ashley Barnes. James Perch takes the free kick.
- 15:19 Centre by Moreno David Lopez, Rob Elliot makes a brilliant save.
- 14:17 Foul by Gael Bigirimana on Liam Bridcutt, free kick awarded. Liam Bridcutt takes the free kick.
- 12:06 Andrea Orlandi produces a cross, save by Rob Elliot.
- 9:09 The referee blows for offside against Craig Mackail-Smith. Indirect free kick taken by Rob Elliot.
- 7:51 A cross is delivered by Moreno David Lopez, clearance by James Perch.
- 7:10 James Tavernier delivers the ball.
- 6:28 Gabriel Obertan sends in a cross, save by Casper Ankergren.
- 3:08 Ashley Barnes is flagged offside by the assistant referee. Free kick taken by Rob Elliot.
- 2:44 Wayne Bridge sends in a cross.
- 1:08 The ball is crossed by Andrea Orlandi, Effort on goal by Dean Hammond from deep inside the area goes harmlessly over the bar.
- 0:57 Corner taken short by Andrea Orlandi.
- 0:44 Craig Mackail-Smith crosses the ball, James Perch gets a block in.
- 0:00 The referee gets the game started.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
CommentsJump to comments pagination
Comment number 246.LargeAl
7th January 2013 - 12:48
Comment number 245.MickS
6th January 2013 - 20:53
Comment number 244.Sussex by the Sea
6th January 2013 - 14:00
Comment number 243.justposh
6th January 2013 - 13:53
Comment number 242.Berbear
6th January 2013 - 13:47