Kidderminster 2 - 0 Barrow
Promotion-chasing Kidderminster Harriers climbed back into the Blue Square Bet Premier play-off zone with a deserved win over Barrow at Aggborough.
Ryan Rowe hit the opener, finding the top right corner with a 20-yard strike - his ninth league goal of the season.
Barrow were denied a second-half equaliser when Sean McConville's left-footed shot was cleared off the goal-line by Josh Gowling.
But Jamille Matt headed the Harriers' second just seven minutes from time.
That made it seven goals in five league games for the sought-after striker as the home side took advantage of Luton Town's FA Cup distraction to climb back up to fifth.
Steve Burr's men might have won by more, Matt wasting a great one-on-one chance before the break, as well as being a denied close-range second goal late on.
Harriers boss Burr was presented with his award as Blue Square Bet Premier manager of the month for December before the game, his in-form side having won all last month's five league games - but the infamous curse on this occasion proved a fallacy.
Barrow remain bottom after failing to build on their 1-0 New Year's Day win at Gateshead.
VIEWS FROM THE DRESSING ROOM
Kidderminster Harriers manager Steve Burr told BBC Hereford & Worcester:
"We were happy with the performance but not the result against Hereford on New Year's Day. Today, we're pleased with the result but not the performance.
"Barrow are better than their league position shows and had their chances and it proves how competitive this league is.
"I'm delighted for Ryan Rowe. It was a great strike and gave us a great start. And Jamille Matt's got on a cross to head home and he'll get the headlines again."
Barrow boss Dave Bayliss told BBC Sport:
"You have to make your own luck. Sean McConville thought the ball had crossed the line for what would have been an equaliser.
"But there's no point feeling sorry for ourselves. The harder you work the more likely you are to get something.
"We just have to stick together and cut out the mistakes."
Live text and stats
Saturday, 5 January 2013
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 01 Lewis
- 02 L Vaughan
- 03 Demetriou
- 22 Dunkly
- 30 Gowling
- 08 Vincent
- 17 Shakes (Johnson 58)
- 18 Gittings (Williams 86)
- 21 Briggs
- 09 Rowe (Malbon 73)
- 20 Matt
- 23 N Vaughan,
- 06 Williams,
- 10 Malbon,
- 11 Johnson,
- 13 Blissett
- 01 Hurst
- 04 Hessey
- 16 Anderson yellow card
- 03 Skelton yellow card
- 05 Pearson
- 06 Owen (Rowe 65)
- 07 Rutherford
- 14 Harvey
- 22 McConville (Jackson 84)
- 09 Boyes
- 15 Hunter
- 21 Pearson,
- 02 Flynn,
- 11 Rowe,
- 12 Jackson,
- 23 Almond
- Kidderminster 58%
- Barrow 42%
Attempts on target
- Kidderminster 7
- Barrow 4
Attempts off target
- Kidderminster 11
- Barrow 3
- Kidderminster 2
- Barrow 2
- Kidderminster 9
- Barrow 4
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+5:02 The final whistle is blown by the referee.
- 90:00+3:44 Shot by Lee Vaughan from outside the box goes over the net.
- 90:00+3:05 Danny Rowe has an effort at goal from outside the area which goes wide right of the goal.
- 90:00+2:41 Marvin Johnson sends in a cross, Tom Anderson makes a clearance.
- 90:00+1:43 Effort from deep inside the area by Jamille Matt hits the post.
- 88:12 Gavin Skelton takes a shot. Save made by Daniel Lewis. Corner taken by Garry Hunter from the left by-line, save by Daniel Lewis.
- 85:52 Substitution (Kidderminster) makes a substitution, with Mike Williams coming on for Callum Gittings.
- 83:28 Substitution Sean McConville leaves the field to be replaced by Joseph Jackson.
- 82:30 Assist by Callum Gittings.
- 82:30 GOAL - Jamille Matt:Kidderminster 2 - 0 Barrow Jamille Matt finds the back of the net with a headed goal from close in. Kidderminster 2-0 Barrow.
- 80:41 Shot from just outside the box by Keith Briggs misses to the left of the goal.
- 78:36 Gavin Skelton concedes a free kick for a foul on Jamille Matt. The free kick is swung in left-footed by Mickey Demetriou, Sean McConville makes a clearance.
- 75:43 The official flags Anthony Malbon offside. Free kick taken by Danny Hurst.
- 73:58 Inswinging corner taken by Callum Gittings from the left by-line, clearance made by Adam Boyes.
- 73:01 Curled right-footed shot by Marvin Johnson. Comfortable save by Danny Hurst.
- 72:13 Substitution Ryan Rowe leaves the field to be replaced by Anthony Malbon.
- 71:37 Keith Briggs takes a shot. Save by Danny Hurst.
- 70:05 Sean McConville takes a shot. Josh Gowling gets a block in.
- 68:28 Ryan Rowe is penalised for handball and concedes a free kick. Free kick taken by Sean Hessey.
- 65:31 The ball is swung over by Lee Vaughan.
- 64:07 Substitution James Owen goes off and Danny Rowe comes on.
- 59:19 The assistant referee flags for offside against Marvin Johnson. Indirect free kick taken by Mike Pearson.
- 58:25 Callum Gittings produces a left-footed shot from just outside the penalty area that goes harmlessly over the target.
- 57:21 Substitution Marvin Johnson replaces Ricky Shakes.
- 57:01 Headed effort from inside the box by Ricky Shakes misses to the right of the target.
- 56:02 Shot by Mike Pearson from outside the box goes over the net.
- 55:28 Jamille Matt concedes a free kick for a foul on Sean Hessey. Direct free kick taken by Sean Hessey.
- 52:15 Booking Tom Anderson booked for unsporting behaviour.
- 50:13 James Owen fouled by Keith Briggs, the ref awards a free kick. Sean Hessey takes the direct free kick.
- 46:23 Mickey Demetriou gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Sean McConville. Danny Hurst restarts play with the free kick.
- 45:01 The second half has started.
- Half Time
- 45:00+1:08 It is the end of the first-half.
- 45:00+0:05 Sean Hessey challenges Ricky Shakes unfairly and gives away a free kick. Lee Vaughan restarts play with the free kick.
- 42:54 James Vincent takes a shot. Brilliant save by Danny Hurst.
- 42:10 Foul by James Vincent on Garry Hunter, free kick awarded. Sean Hessey takes the free kick.
- 41:30 Ricky Shakes crosses the ball, Danny Hurst makes a comfortable save.
- 40:09 Direct free kick taken by Mickey Demetriou.
- 40:09 Booking Gavin Skelton is shown a yellow card.
- 39:50 Handball decision goes against Gavin Skelton.
- 39:18 Jamille Matt takes a shot. Tom Anderson gets a block in.
- 38:50 Ryan Rowe gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Sean Hessey. Direct free kick taken by Danny Hurst.
- 37:54 Ricky Shakes concedes a free kick for a foul on Alex-Ray Harvey. Sean Hessey takes the direct free kick.
- 35:39 The assistant referee flags for offside against Jamille Matt. Sean Hessey restarts play with the free kick.
- 34:01 James Owen produces a right-footed shot from just outside the area that goes harmlessly over the target.
- 33:26 The official flags Jamille Matt offside. Free kick taken by Sean Hessey.
- 31:55 Jamille Matt fouled by Gavin Skelton, the ref awards a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Keith Briggs.
- 30:23 Ricky Shakes takes a shot.
- 29:13 Ryan Rowe is ruled offside. Indirect free kick taken by Danny Hurst.
- 27:40 Callum Gittings challenges Sean McConville unfairly and gives away a free kick. Sean McConville crosses the ball in from the free kick, Jamille Matt makes a clearance.
- 25:20 Ricky Shakes takes a shot. Adam Boyes gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Josh Gowling. Daniel Lewis restarts play with the free kick.
- 24:05 Ryan Rowe is caught offside. Danny Hurst takes the indirect free kick.
- 20:36 Callum Gittings has a shot on goal from outside the area which misses right.
- 14:50 Sean McConville decides to take a short corner.
- 14:17 Tom Anderson takes a shot. Save by Daniel Lewis.
- 13:42 Ricky Shakes gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Sean Hessey. Sean Hessey takes the free kick.
- 12:53 Free kick awarded for a foul by Jamille Matt on Tom Anderson. Sean Hessey takes the direct free kick.
- 11:38 Shot from just outside the penalty box by Ryan Rowe misses to the left of the target.
- 9:08 Inswinging corner taken by Callum Gittings, Header from deep inside the penalty area by Cheyenne Dunkley goes harmlessly over the crossbar.
- 8:53 Jamille Matt takes a shot. Danny Hurst makes a brilliant save.
- 6:59 Ryan Rowe has an effort at goal from the edge of the box that misses to the right of the target.
- 5:10 The assistant referee signals for offside against Ryan Rowe. Indirect free kick taken by Sean Hessey.
- 2:49 Callum Gittings provided the assist for the goal.
- 2:49 GOAL - Ryan Rowe:Kidderminster 1 - 0 Barrow Ryan Rowe gets on the score sheet with a goal from outside the area to the top right corner of the goal. Kidderminster 1-0 Barrow.
- 1:26 Paul Rutherford takes a shot. Josh Gowling gets a block in.
- 0:41 Ryan Rowe is ruled offside. Danny Hurst takes the indirect free kick.
- 0:00 The game kicks-off.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.