Stoke 0 - 4 Chelsea
Jon Walters scored two own goals and missed a penalty as Chelsea thumped Stoke to end the Potters' 17-game home unbeaten run in the Premier League.
Walters headed a Cesar Azpilicueta cross into his own net just before half-time and repeated his unwanted trick from a Juan Mata corner.
Frank Lampard made it 3-0 from the spot after Mata was fouled and Eden Hazard smashed in a fourth from 30 yards out.
Walters' misery was completed when he blasted a late penalty against the bar.
The 29-year-old Republic of Ireland international has won plenty of plaudits for his play for the Potters this season but his 100th Premier League appearance turned into a memorable day for all the wrong reasons.
Chelsea move third in the table with what became a runaway victory but they were under the cosh for long spells early on and were grateful to assistant referee Sian Massey for correctly reversing a decision to award Stoke a penalty with the score at 1-0.
Referee Andre Marriner pointed to the spot when Azpilicueta slid in to bring down Matthew Etherington inside the area, but Massey had already flagged Etherington offside.
Double the agony for Walters
Three other players have scored two own goals in a single Premier League game - Gary Breen while playing for Coventry against Manchester United in 1997, Liverpool's Jamie Carragher against Manchester United in 1999 and Michael Proctor while playing for Sunderland against Charlton in 2003.
Statistic courtesy of Opta
Stoke, who have never beaten Chelsea at the Britannia Stadium, had begun the game brightly, bombarding the visitors with balls into the box and seeing Kenwyne Jones fire narrowly wide.
Demba Ba was making his Premier League debut for Chelsea but, in the early stages, he was busier in his own area and twice had to hack clear.
Ba, preferred to Fernando Torres up front, got more involved at the other end of the pitch as the half progressed.
He provided the flick for Lampard to burst into the area and bring a reflex save from Asmir Begovic, then ran clear himself to force another fine stop.
Then came Walters first faux pas, which saw him send a bullet header past Begovic as he tried to beat Mata to a cross.
His second own goal came moments after Massey had denied Stoke a penalty. This time Walters beat Lampard to Mata's delivery and saw the ball bounce in.
Lampard's powerful spot-kick, from a penalty awarded when Robert Huth pushed Mata, left the home side with no way back.
Stoke's first home defeat in the league since February last year, and their heaviest at the Britannia Stadium since they returned to the top flight in 2008, was confirmed when Hazard span into space 30 yards from goal and unleashed an unstoppable shot into the top corner.
There was more good news for Chelsea when John Terry came off the bench with 10 minutes left for his first appearance in two months, but there was to be no happy ending for Walters.
He was fouled by Terry inside the area with only seconds to go and stepped up to take the spot-kick himself, only to slam it against the bar.
Live text and stats
Saturday, 12 January 2013
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 01 Begovic
- 02 Cameron
- 04 Huth
- 17 Shawcross
- 28 Wilkinson yellow card
- 06 Whelan
- 15 Nzonzi
- 16 Adam (Whitehead 79)
- 26 Etherington (Kightly 86)
- 09 Jones (Jerome 78)
- 19 Walters
- 01 Cech
- 02 Ivanovic
- 03 Cole
- 04 David Luiz
- 28 Azpilicueta (Ferreira 83)
- 34 Bertrand
- 07 Ramires
- 08 Lampard
- 10 Mata (Terry 79)
- 17 Hazard
- 29 Ba (Torres 71)
- Stoke 44%
- Chelsea 56%
Attempts on target
- Stoke 5
- Chelsea 9
Attempts off target
- Stoke 6
- Chelsea 2
- Stoke 6
- Chelsea 7
- Stoke 13
- Chelsea 9
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+3:07 The referee ends the match.
- 90:00+1:47 The ball is delivered by Glenn Whelan, clearance by John Terry.
- 90:00+1:18 The ball is delivered by Michael Kightly, Ashley Cole gets a block in.
- 88:39 Power penalty missed by Jonathan Walters.
- 88:39 Foul by John Terry on Jonathan Walters, Penalty awarded.
- 85:37 Substitution Michael Kightly replaces Matthew Etherington.
- 83:40 Unfair challenge on David Luiz by Jonathan Walters results in a free kick. Direct free kick taken by David Luiz.
- 82:17 Short corner taken by Frank Lampard.
- 82:17 Substitution Paulo Ferreira replaces Cesar Azpilicueta.
- 81:36 Geoff Cameron sends in a cross, Petr Cech makes a save.
- 80:04 The referee blows for offside. Branislav Ivanovic restarts play with the free kick.
- 79:44 Frank Lampard takes a shot. Save by Asmir Begovic.
- 78:59 Substitution John Terry joins the action as a substitute, replacing Juan Mata.
- 78:26 Substitution Dean Whitehead is brought on as a substitute for Charlie Adam.
- 77:58 Substitution Kenwyne Jones goes off and Cameron Jerome comes on.
- 74:57 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Fernando Torres by Robert Huth. Free kick taken by Juan Mata.
- 74:19 Shot from just outside the box by Charlie Adam goes over the target.
- 72:08 Assist by Juan Mata.
- 72:08 GOAL - Eden Hazard:Stoke 0 - 4 Chelsea Eden Hazard scores a goal from long range to the top left corner of the goal. Stoke 0-4 Chelsea.
- 71:58 Kenwyne Jones takes a shot. Branislav Ivanovic gets a block in.
- 70:08 Substitution Demba Ba goes off and Fernando Torres comes on.
- 69:13 Jonathan Walters concedes a free kick for a foul on Ryan Bertrand. David Luiz produces a strike on goal direct from the free kick.
- 68:07 Demba Ba takes a shot. Blocked by Robert Huth. Frank Lampard takes a shot. Save made by Asmir Begovic.
- 64:57 Juan Mata provided the assist for the goal.
- 64:57 GOAL - Frank Lampard:Stoke 0 - 3 Chelsea Penalty taken right-footed by Frank Lampard and scored. Stoke 0-3 Chelsea.
- 63:53 Foul by Ryan Shawcross on Juan Mata, Penalty awarded.
- 61:46 The assist for the goal came from Juan Mata.
- 61:46 GOAL - Jonathan Walters:Stoke 0 - 2 Chelsea Headed own goal by Jonathan Walters. Stoke 0-2 Chelsea.
- 61:23 Inswinging corner taken by Juan Mata from the right by-line.
- 58:41 Demba Ba gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Andy Wilkinson. Glenn Whelan takes the direct free kick.
- 58:12 The referee blows for offside. Free kick taken by Petr Cech.
- 56:56 Centre by Eden Hazard, Robert Huth makes a clearance.
- 55:45 David Luiz challenges Ryan Shawcross unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick taken by Asmir Begovic.
- 55:04 Inswinging corner taken by Matthew Etherington from the right by-line, save by Petr Cech.
- 53:50 Steven Nzonzi takes a shot. Petr Cech makes a save. Corner taken right-footed by Matthew Etherington from the right by-line, Robert Huth has a headed effort at goal from deep inside the area missing to the left of the target.
- 51:18 Steven Nzonzi fouled by Ryan Bertrand, the ref awards a free kick. Matthew Etherington crosses the ball in from the free kick.
- 50:36 Ashley Cole takes a shot. Save by Petr Cech. Corner taken short by Eden Hazard.
- 50:02 The referee blows for offside against Jonathan Walters. Branislav Ivanovic restarts play with the free kick.
- 48:59 Eden Hazard fouled by Robert Huth, the ref awards a free kick. Free kick taken by David Luiz.
- 48:21 The ball is swung over by Charlie Adam, David Luiz makes a clearance.
- 47:16 Steven Nzonzi has shot on goal from just outside the box which goes wide of the right-hand upright.
- 45:11 The assistant referee signals for offside against Juan Mata. Asmir Begovic restarts play with the free kick.
- 45:01 The second half kicks off.
- Half Time
- 45:00+3:16 The first half comes to an end.
- 45:00+1:43 Assist on the goal came from Cesar Azpilicueta.
- 45:00+1:43 GOAL - Jonathan Walters:Stoke 0 - 1 Chelsea Headed own goal by Jonathan Walters. Stoke 0-1 Chelsea.
- 45:00+1:00 Inswinging corner taken right-footed by Eden Hazard from the right by-line.
- 44:42 Steven Nzonzi is penalised for handball and concedes a free kick. Frank Lampard produces a shot on goal direct from the free kick.
- 41:29 Free kick awarded for a foul by Andy Wilkinson on Eden Hazard. Free kick crossed right-footed by Frank Lampard, Robert Huth manages to make a clearance.
- Correction - 40:24 Glenn Whelan takes a shot. Save by Petr Cech.
- 40:24 Matthew Etherington takes a shot. Petr Cech makes a save.
- 39:15 Shot by Ashley Cole from outside the box goes high over the target.
- 38:47 Short corner worked by Frank Lampard.
- 37:48 The free kick is swung in left-footed by Juan Mata, clearance by Ryan Shawcross.
- 37:48 Booking Andy Wilkinson goes into the referee's book for unsporting behaviour.
- 37:38 Free kick awarded for a foul by Andy Wilkinson on Eden Hazard.
- 36:35 Juan Mata sends in a cross, clearance made by Ryan Shawcross.
- 36:00 Geoff Cameron crosses the ball, clearance made by Branislav Ivanovic.
- 35:12 Shot from just outside the area by Eden Hazard goes over the bar.
- 34:34 Corner taken by Juan Mata from the left by-line, clearance by Kenwyne Jones.
- 34:02 Demba Ba takes a shot. Petr Cech makes a save.
- 31:01 Unfair challenge on Frank Lampard by Glenn Whelan results in a free kick. Free kick taken by Branislav Ivanovic.
- 30:41 Kenwyne Jones takes a shot. Petr Cech makes a save.
- 29:03 Andy Wilkinson challenges Eden Hazard unfairly and gives away a free kick. Branislav Ivanovic restarts play with the free kick.
- 28:22 Jonathan Walters fouled by Ryan Bertrand, the ref awards a free kick. Indirect free kick taken by Asmir Begovic.
- 25:53 Nascimento Ramires fouled by Steven Nzonzi, the ref awards a free kick. Free kick taken by Petr Cech.
- 24:19 Frank Lampard takes a shot. Asmir Begovic makes a brilliant save.
- 22:59 Effort from inside the area by Jonathan Walters misses to the left of the target.
- 22:08 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Kenwyne Jones by Branislav Ivanovic. Glenn Whelan crosses the ball in from the free kick.
- Correction - 20:44 Glenn Whelan has an effort at goal from outside the box which goes wide right of the target.
- 20:44 Matthew Etherington has an effort at goal from outside the area missing to the wide right of the goal.
- 19:11 Inswinging corner taken by Matthew Etherington from the right by-line, save by Petr Cech.
- 18:07 Corner from the left by-line taken by Glenn Whelan, Ashley Cole manages to make a clearance.
- 17:07 Steven Nzonzi takes a shot. Petr Cech makes a save.
- 16:24 Corner taken by Matthew Etherington, Frank Lampard makes a clearance.
- 15:14 Eden Hazard challenges Charlie Adam unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick crossed left-footed by Matthew Etherington, Demba Ba manages to make a clearance.
- 14:28 Foul by Jonathan Walters on David Luiz, free kick awarded. Direct free kick taken by David Luiz.
- 14:03 Juan Mata delivers the ball, Asmir Begovic makes a save.
- 12:17 Matthew Etherington sends in a cross.
- 11:07 Outswinging corner taken from the right by-line by Glenn Whelan, Branislav Ivanovic makes a clearance.
- 9:07 Jonathan Walters challenges David Luiz unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick taken by Petr Cech.
- 8:31 Unfair challenge on Steven Nzonzi by Nascimento Ramires results in a free kick. Indirect free kick taken by Asmir Begovic.
- 7:05 Effort from inside the area by Kenwyne Jones misses to the right of the goal.
- 6:05 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Charlie Adam by David Luiz. Glenn Whelan crosses the ball from the free kick right-footed from right channel, Ashley Cole makes a clearance.
- 4:48 The ball is delivered by Eden Hazard, Robert Huth manages to make a clearance.
- 1:55 Corner taken by Juan Mata, clearance by Kenwyne Jones.
- 1:09 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on David Luiz by Jonathan Walters. David Luiz takes the free kick.
- 0:00 The referee starts the match.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
CommentsJump to comments pagination
Comment number 232.AJ
14th January 2013 - 19:53
Comment number 231.Removed
14th January 2013 - 15:37
Comment number 230.Removed
14th January 2013 - 13:38
Comment number 229.Walt78
14th January 2013 - 12:10
Comment number 228.Sennockian
14th January 2013 - 8:04