Arsenal 1 - 0 Swansea
Jack Wilshere scored late against Swansea to send Arsenal through to an FA Cup fourth-round tie at Brighton.
The Gunners piled on the pressure during the final 20 minutes of the match and finally got their reward when the England midfielder fired in from the edge of the area.
Olivier Giroud, Theo Walcott and Thomas Vermaelen also went close only to be denied by Swansea keeper Michel Vorm.
Kyle Bartley went closest for the Swans when his header struck the bar.
His was one of four good opportunities created by Michael Laudrup's men in the opening 45 minutes as they dominated possession. The second half was a very different story as Arsenal finally got into their stride.
- Jack Wilshere's goal came from Arsenal's 26th attempt on goal in the game
Wilshere was key to the Gunners improvement after the break, pushing higher up the field having had to support his fellow midfielders as they attempted to put the shackles on the sprightly Nathan Dyer in the first half.
The England midfielder could have scored another had Vorm not got down well to prevent his drive from going in. In fact the Dutch keeper was brilliant all night, blocking Vermaelen's shot before the break and then repeating the trick to keep out efforts from Giroud and Walcott.
Walcott also had a volley which struck the chest of striker Danny Graham, while Bacary Sagna's intended cross struck the Vorm's far post.
But with five minutes remaining, the last line of defence was breached when Giroud flicked Santi Cazorla's pass into the path of Wilshere, who rammed in his shot from the edge of the area - his first goal in the FA Cup.
It was the least the Gunners deserved, but few would have guessed they could produce such a performance after a tepid display in the first half.
The home side struggled like manager Arsene Wenger did with the zip of his coat, and were lucky not to go behind when Graham fired wide after he was put through by Kemy Agustien.
Bartley then hit the post with his header while Dyer, who faded in the second half, saw two efforts blocked by Vermaelen.
Laudrup brought on Michu midway through the second half, but the club's top scorer found himself helping out the defence on a night when Arsenal showed their bite.
The Gunners will now play Championship side Brighton, who have already disposed of one Premier League side, Newcastle.
Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger:
"Jack was outstanding tonight. He played in a different position, a bit higher up and it suited him well. I didn't expect him to be this good at this stage.
"I always thought that if we could get Jack back to a reasonable level by January we will have done well, but he is ahead of what I could imagine.
"He is back to what he was before the injury, I think so, yes. A complete midfielder can defend and attack and Jack can also dribble and give a final ball so the closer players like him are to the goal the better it is for them."
Swansea manager Michael Laudrup:
"We tried, we defended well, at times heroic.
"They had two or three chances where you say 'It's only a matter of time when they score'.
"If they score a few minutes from the end you think it could have gone into extra-time, but they deserved the win in the end.
"I want to win every game and the players want to, but it's not possible for anyone. It's not a question of saying it doesn't matter and I am disappointed."
Live text and stats
Wednesday, 16 January 2013
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 01 Szczesny
- 03 Sagna
- 04 Mertesacker
- 05 Vermaelen
- 28 Gibbs
- 02 Diaby (Ramsey 82)
- 10 Wilshere
- 14 Walcott
- 19 Cazorla
- 22 Coquelin
- 12 Giroud
- 01 Vorm
- 02 Bartley
- 04 Chico
- 21 Tiendalli
- 07 Britton
- 12 Dyer
- 15 Routledge
- 20 De Guzman (Ki Sung-Yeung 60)
- 26 Agustien (Pablo 59)
- 29 Richards
- 10 Graham (Michu 71)
- Arsenal 55%
- Swansea 45%
Attempts on target
- Arsenal 16
- Swansea 1
Attempts off target
- Arsenal 10
- Swansea 5
- Arsenal 13
- Swansea 3
- Arsenal 5
- Swansea 7
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+3:28 The match has reached full-time.
- 90:00+3:04 Santi Cazorla takes a short corner.
- 90:00+2:25 Short corner taken by Jack Wilshere from the right by-line.
- 90:00+1:43 Shot from just outside the box by Santi Cazorla misses to the right of the goal.
- 90:00+0:58 The assistant referee signals for offside against Olivier Giroud. Chico takes the indirect free kick.
- 89:43 Theo Walcott is caught offside. Michel Vorm takes the free kick.
- 85:42 Assist on the goal came from Olivier Giroud.
- 85:42 GOAL - Jack Wilshere:Arsenal 1 - 0 Swansea Jack Wilshere finds the net with a goal from just outside the area to the bottom right corner of the goal. Arsenal 1-0 Swansea.
- 85:02 Dwight Tiendalli challenges Francis Coquelin unfairly and gives away a free kick. The free kick is delivered left-footed by Jack Wilshere from right wing, clearance made by Kyle Bartley.
- 84:51 Effort on goal by Olivier Giroud from 12 yards. Blocked by Dwight Tiendalli.
- 84:05 Santi Cazorla takes a inswinging corner from the left by-line to the near post, Olivier Giroud takes a shot. Dwight Tiendalli gets a block in.
- 83:50 Theo Walcott takes a shot. Michel Vorm makes a save.
- 81:32 Substitution Aaron Ramsey on for Vassiriki Diaby.
- 81:14 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Wayne Routledge by Per Mertesacker. Pablo Hernandez takes the direct free kick.
- 80:49 Bacary Sagna crosses the ball, Headed effort from inside the area by Theo Walcott misses to the left of the target.
- 79:35 Sung-Yeung Ki takes a outswinging corner from the right by-line played to the near post, Chico has a headed effort at goal from close in which goes wide right of the goal.
- 79:14 Sung-Yeung Ki takes a shot. Save by Bacary Sagna.
- 78:35 Olivier Giroud takes a shot. Michel Vorm makes a save.
- 77:09 Inswinging corner taken by Jack Wilshere, clearance by Ashley Richards.
- 73:02 Jack Wilshere takes a shot. Save by Michel Vorm.
- 71:24 Bacary Sagna takes a shot from just outside the penalty area which clears the crossbar.
- 70:05 Substitution Danny Graham goes off and Miguel Michu comes on.
- 69:48 Theo Walcott produces a right-footed shot from the edge of the box and misses to the right of the target.
- 68:15 Olivier Giroud takes a shot. Save made by Michel Vorm.
- 67:30 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Jack Wilshere by Kyle Bartley. Santi Cazorla takes the free kick.
- 65:39 The assistant referee flags for offside against Pablo Hernandez. Indirect free kick taken by Kieran Gibbs.
- 62:25 Inswinging corner taken by Jack Wilshere, Olivier Giroud takes a shot. Leon Britton gets a block in.
- 62:12 Theo Walcott takes a shot. Danny Graham gets a block in.
- 62:00 Jack Wilshere takes a shot. Michel Vorm makes a save.
- 61:19 Corner taken by Theo Walcott from the left by-line to the near post, Dwight Tiendalli manages to make a clearance.
- 61:04 Jack Wilshere takes a shot. Blocked by Chico.
- 59:54 Substitution Sung-Yeung Ki comes on in place of Jonathan de Guzman.
- 58:31 Substitution Pablo Hernandez is brought on as a substitute for Kemy Agustien.
- 57:50 Corner taken right-footed by Theo Walcott from the left by-line, Olivier Giroud produces a headed effort from deep inside the six-yard box which goes wide of the right-hand upright.
- 56:02 Inswinging corner taken by Theo Walcott from the left by-line, clearance made by Danny Graham.
- 54:57 Jonathan de Guzman decides to take a short corner.
- 53:16 The official flags Theo Walcott offside. Indirect free kick taken by Michel Vorm.
- 50:53 Olivier Giroud has an effort at goal from the edge of the area that misses to the right of the target.
- 50:01 Effort on goal by Santi Cazorla from just inside the box goes harmlessly over the target.
- 49:32 Ashley Richards concedes a free kick for a foul on Santi Cazorla. Santi Cazorla takes the free kick.
- 48:08 Theo Walcott produces a right-footed shot from close range which goes wide of the left-hand post.
- 46:23 The offside flag is raised against Olivier Giroud. Indirect free kick taken by Chico.
- 45:01 The referee blows his whistle to start the second half.
- Half Time
- 45:00+1:18 The whistle is blown to end the first half.
- 45:00+1:02 Thomas Vermaelen takes a shot. Michel Vorm makes a save.
- 45:00+0:36 Inswinging corner taken right-footed by Theo Walcott, Chico makes a clearance.
- 42:22 Unfair challenge on Ashley Richards by Kieran Gibbs results in a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Michel Vorm.
- 38:40 Corner taken right-footed by Theo Walcott from the left by-line, Kyle Bartley manages to make a clearance.
- 38:01 Theo Walcott takes a shot. Dwight Tiendalli gets a block in.
- 34:33 Pass corner from left by-line taken by Jonathan de Guzman to short.
- 34:21 Nathan Dyer takes a shot. Blocked by Thomas Vermaelen.
- 32:38 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Jonathan de Guzman by Olivier Giroud. Chico takes the direct free kick.
- 31:27 Inswinging corner taken from the right by-line by Jack Wilshere.
- 30:14 Jack Wilshere is caught offside. Michel Vorm restarts play with the free kick.
- 26:00 Handball decision goes against Kyle Bartley. Theo Walcott delivers the ball from the free kick right-footed from left wing.
- 25:09 Nathan Dyer gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Francis Coquelin. Kieran Gibbs takes the direct free kick.
- 24:48 Kyle Bartley takes a shot.
- 24:02 Free kick awarded for a foul by Kieran Gibbs on Ashley Richards. Jonathan de Guzman delivers the ball from the free kick right-footed from right wing, clearance made by Francis Coquelin.
- 21:22 Francis Coquelin takes the chance to get an effort at goal. Michel Vorm makes a save.
- 21:00 Inswinging corner taken by Jack Wilshere, clearance by Chico.
- 20:01 Foul by Chico on Theo Walcott, free kick awarded. Shot on goal comes in from Thomas Vermaelen from the free kick.
- 18:58 Free kick awarded for a foul by Jack Wilshere on Leon Britton. Leon Britton restarts play with the free kick.
- 18:32 Danny Graham has an effort at goal from just outside the area which goes wide of the left-hand post.
- 18:10 Wayne Routledge challenges Theo Walcott unfairly and gives away a free kick. Bacary Sagna restarts play with the free kick.
- 16:51 Corner taken by Theo Walcott from the left by-line played to the near post, Ashley Richards makes a clearance.
- 16:39 Vassiriki Diaby takes a shot. Ashley Richards gets a block in.
- 13:47 The assistant referee signals for offside against Wayne Routledge. Per Mertesacker restarts play with the free kick.
- 10:23 Jonathan de Guzman challenges Francis Coquelin unfairly and gives away a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Jack Wilshere.
- 5:43 Effort on goal by Olivier Giroud from deep inside the penalty area misses to the right of the target.
- 5:32 The ball is delivered by Theo Walcott, Olivier Giroud has a headed effort at goal from close in which goes wide right of the target.
- Correction - 5:17 Centre by Theo Walcott, Header from close in by Olivier Giroud misses to the right of the target.
- 4:54 The offside flag is raised against Nathan Dyer. Indirect free kick taken by Thomas Vermaelen.
- 1:43 Danny Graham produces a right-footed shot from just outside the box that goes wide right of the goal.
- 0:00 The game begins.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.