Liverpool 5 - 0 Norwich
Liverpool strikers Luis Suarez and Daniel Sturridge started together for the first time and both scored as the Reds thrashed Norwich at Anfield.
A classy Jordan Henderson strike put Liverpool in front and a Sturridge dummy let Suarez confidently slot in.
Grant Holt had a rare Norwich effort saved before Sturridge tapped in a Stewart Downing cross and Steven Gerrard rifled in a 25-yard strike.
Ryan Bennett put Raheem Sterling's cross into his own net for the fifth.
Sturridge's goal meant he became the first player since Ray Kennedy in 1974 to score in each of his first three games for Liverpool and the ovation he was given when substituted showed he has quickly won over fans of the Merseyside club.
There was a degree of apprehension that the 23-year-old's arrival might diminish the impact of Suarez but so far those fears appear unfounded.
Instead, the duo provided evidence they could form a prolific partnership as Liverpool put in an assured display for a sixth win in their last eight league games at home.
Norwich's containment strategy did not work and, with just one point from the last 18, they will be wary of being sucked back into the relegation battle.
The Canaries presented the Reds with a yellow wall to break down and the home side initially struggled to find a way through. The visitors could even have shocked their hosts, only for central defender Ryan Bennett to nod a free far-post header straight at keeper Brad Jones.
"It was so comfortable for Liverpool. They blew Norwich away. This result was never in doubt but the main one will be the partnership of Luis Suarez and Daniel Sturridge. Norwich will need to stop this rot quickly as their form is a big worry."
Sturridge and Suarez combined and the former had a shot saved before Henderson provided the flash of inspiration Liverpool needed to take the lead.
The ball broke into the midfielder's path after Suarez was tackled on the edge of the area and Henderson produced an unerring 18-yard strike. From there on, Liverpool never looked back.
Norwich continued to sit back and invite pressure and were soon punished again when Suarez, who had scored two hat-tricks in his last two games against the Canaries, struck.
Sturridge dummied a pass from Lucas Leiva to send the Uruguayan in on the visitors' goal and Suarez slotted into the bottom corner for his 20th goal of the season.
Norwich produced little in attack, Holt having a follow-up shot from the right of the area blocked by home keeper Jones, after seeing his initial header cleared.
That was almost the last meaningful action from Jones, playing in place of the injured Pepe Reina, such was Liverpool's dominance.
Sturridge stole in at the far post to mark his Anfield bow with a simple finish after Downing's low first-time cross before Gerrard sent a low, long-range strike into the bottom corner.
Liverpool had scored five against Norwich in the reverse fixture in September and repeated the trick when substitute Sterling's cross was put into his own net by centre-back Bennett.
Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers:
"It was an outstanding team performance. The first goal was going to be important and Jordan scored a fantastic goal. We've had games where we haven't got the first goal early enough and have ended up drawing.
"It [Daniel Sturridge's goal] was the type of goal he was brought in for. He is terrific outside the box but he is a real killer in it. It's three goals in three games for him and I think there will be many to come. We have played well for most of the season but Daniel coming in adds that extra threat. He has pace and power and he has got good touch and good skills.
"We are just taking each game as it comes. It is a very pleasing day but we will not get too far ahead of ourselves."
Norwich manager Chris Hughton:
"What we were up against today was an extremely good Liverpool side. They were very good and clinical.
"It's been a bad day for us and we need to dust ourselves down and make sure we are better for the next game.
"We need to get back on track. Sometimes you have to accept that, with the quality these teams have, if you have a bad day you can be well beaten."
Live text and stats
Saturday, 19 January 2013
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 01 Jones
- 02 Johnson yellow card
- 05 Agger
- 23 Carragher
- 47 Wisdom
- 08 Gerrard
- 14 Henderson (Allen 77)
- 19 Downing
- 21 Lucas (Sterling 68)
- 07 Suarez
- 15 Sturridge (Borini 69)
- 28 Bunn
- 02 R Martin
- 06 Turner
- 18 Garrido
- 24 R Bennett
- 04 Johnson
- 07 Snodgrass yellow card (Pilkington 86)
- 08 Howson
- 17 E Bennett (Hoolahan 65)
- 27 Tettey
- 09 Holt
- Liverpool 60%
- Norwich 40%
Attempts on target
- Liverpool 10
- Norwich 3
Attempts off target
- Liverpool 7
- Norwich 2
- Liverpool 10
- Norwich 4
- Liverpool 10
- Norwich 8
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+2:18 The final whistle goes and the game is over.
- 90:00+1:36 Luis Suarez is ruled offside. Mark Bunn takes the free kick.
- 90:00+1:01 Michael Turner fouled by Luis Suarez, the ref awards a free kick. Mark Bunn takes the free kick.
- 88:06 The ball is crossed by Glen Johnson, Michael Turner makes a clearance.
- 86:25 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Wesley Hoolahan by Stewart Downing. Alexander Tettey takes the direct free kick.
- 85:20 Substitution Robert Snodgrass goes off and Anthony Pilkington comes on.
- 81:01 Raheem Sterling takes a short corner. Raheem Sterling produces a cross, Mark Bunn makes a comfortable save.
- 80:20 Luis Suarez decides to take a short corner.
- 79:32 Free kick crossed by Luis Suarez, clearance made by Ryan Bennett.
- 79:32 Booking Robert Snodgrass receives a caution for unsporting behaviour.
- 79:28 Free kick awarded for a foul by Robert Snodgrass on Raheem Sterling.
- 76:36 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Jamie Carragher by Grant Holt. Steven Gerrard takes the free kick.
- 76:36 Substitution Jordan Henderson leaves the field to be replaced by Joe Allen.
- 73:52 Assist on the goal came from Raheem Sterling.
- 73:52 GOAL - Ryan Bennett:Liverpool 5 - 0 Norwich Ryan Bennett scores an own goal from 12 yards. Liverpool 5-0 Norwich.
- 71:52 Glen Johnson sends in a cross, Michael Turner manages to make a clearance.
- 70:53 Long range effort from Robert Snodgrass misses to the left of the target.
- 70:30 Short corner worked by Robert Snodgrass.
- 70:03 Jordan Henderson concedes a free kick for a foul on Wesley Hoolahan. Free kick taken by Javier Garrido.
- 67:48 Substitution Fabio Borini comes on in place of Daniel Sturridge.
- 67:48 Substitution Raheem Sterling comes on in place of Leiva Lucas.
- 65:36 Assist on the goal came from Glen Johnson.
- 65:36 GOAL - Steven Gerrard:Liverpool 4 - 0 Norwich Steven Gerrard finds the net with a goal from outside the area to the bottom left corner of the goal. Liverpool 4-0 Norwich.
- 64:25 Substitution Wesley Hoolahan is brought on as a substitute for Elliott Bennett.
- 63:31 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Robert Snodgrass by Leiva Lucas. Free kick crossed by Robert Snodgrass, clearance by Daniel Agger.
- 63:03 The ball is sent over by Stewart Downing, clearance made by Michael Turner.
- 60:44 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Alexander Tettey by Leiva Lucas. Direct free kick taken by Bradley Johnson.
- 60:17 Andre Wisdom crosses the ball, Alexander Tettey makes a clearance.
- 60:01 The ball is crossed by Alexander Tettey, save by Brad Jones.
- 58:02 Assist on the goal came from Stewart Downing.
- 58:02 GOAL - Daniel Sturridge:Liverpool 3 - 0 Norwich Daniel Sturridge gets on the score sheet with a goal from close range to the bottom left corner of the goal. Liverpool 3-0 Norwich.
- 57:48 Glen Johnson produces a cross, clearance made by Michael Turner.
- 57:19 Bradley Johnson gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Leiva Lucas. Jamie Carragher takes the free kick.
- 55:56 Michael Turner fouled by Luis Suarez, the ref awards a free kick. Free kick taken by Ryan Bennett.
- 55:14 Stewart Downing has shot on goal from just outside the penalty box which goes wide of the right-hand upright.
- 54:29 The ball is sent over by Luis Suarez, clearance made by Javier Garrido. Stewart Downing decides to take the corner short. Inswinging corner taken left-footed by Stewart Downing, Ryan Bennett makes a clearance.
- 52:45 Andre Wisdom produces a left-footed shot from just outside the penalty box that goes wide left of the target.
- 51:38 Steven Gerrard takes the inswinging corner, Bradley Johnson makes a clearance.
- 50:09 Glen Johnson crosses the ball. Steven Gerrard is ruled offside. Mark Bunn restarts play with the free kick. Daniel Sturridge takes a shot. Ryan Bennett gets a block in.
- 49:07 The ball is sent over by Robert Snodgrass, Jamie Carragher manages to make a clearance. Alexander Tettey has a shot on goal from outside the box which misses left.
- 47:39 Andre Wisdom gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Elliott Bennett. Javier Garrido restarts play with the free kick.
- 45:34 Free kick awarded for a foul by Robert Snodgrass on Glen Johnson. Glen Johnson takes the direct free kick.
- 45:01 The second half begins.
- Half Time
- 45:00+1:18 The referee calls an end to the first half.
- Correction - 45:00+0:54 Daniel Sturridge takes a shot. Mark Bunn makes a comfortable save.
- 45:00+0:54 Daniel Sturridge takes a shot. Save by Mark Bunn.
- 44:14 The ball is delivered by Steven Gerrard, clearance by Michael Turner.
- 41:41 Free kick crossed by Javier Garrido, Steven Gerrard manages to make a clearance. Alexander Tettey gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Daniel Sturridge. Free kick taken by Daniel Agger.
- 41:41 Booking The referee shows Glen Johnson a yellow card.
- 41:25 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Robert Snodgrass by Glen Johnson.
- 40:45 Glen Johnson has an effort at goal from outside the area missing to the wide right of the target.
- 38:29 Alexander Tettey fouled by Daniel Sturridge, the ref awards a free kick. Free kick crossed left-footed by Javier Garrido, clearance by Leiva Lucas. Grant Holt takes a shot. Clearance made by Andre Wisdom.
- 37:00 Alexander Tettey takes a shot. Jamie Carragher gets a block in. Corner taken by Robert Snodgrass played to the near post, clearance made by Stewart Downing. Corner taken left-footed by Robert Snodgrass to the near post, Daniel Agger manages to make a clearance.
- 35:52 Assist on the goal came from Leiva Lucas.
- 35:52 GOAL - Luis Suarez:Liverpool 2 - 0 Norwich Goal scored by Luis Suarez from inside the box to the bottom right corner of the goal. Liverpool 2-0 Norwich.
- 34:45 Jordan Henderson takes a shot. Save made by Mark Bunn.
- 34:17 Corner taken by Stewart Downing, clearance by Ryan Bennett.
- 33:54 Inswinging corner taken from the right by-line by Stewart Downing, Jonathan Howson manages to make a clearance.
- 30:34 Outswinging corner taken right-footed by Steven Gerrard, Andre Wisdom produces a header from inside the area that goes over the bar.
- 27:41 Luis Suarez takes a shot. Save made by Mark Bunn.
- 27:10 Inswinging corner taken from the right by-line by Stewart Downing.
- 25:39 GOAL - Jordan Henderson:Liverpool 1 - 0 Norwich Jordan Henderson grabs a brilliant goal from just outside the box to the top right corner of the goal. Liverpool 1-0 Norwich.
- 23:41 Centre by Andre Wisdom.
- 20:44 Alexander Tettey concedes a free kick for a foul on Jordan Henderson. Daniel Agger restarts play with the free kick.
- 20:10 Robert Snodgrass takes a outswinging corner from the left by-line played to the near post, Daniel Agger makes a clearance.
- 19:20 Glen Johnson delivers the ball, save by Mark Bunn.
- 18:18 Shot from outside the area by Steven Gerrard misses to the left of the target.
- 17:22 Short corner taken by Stewart Downing from the right by-line.
- 16:30 The assistant referee flags for offside against Robert Snodgrass. Daniel Agger takes the free kick.
- 14:34 Andre Wisdom produces a cross, Ryan Bennett manages to make a clearance.
- 13:59 Free kick awarded for a foul by Grant Holt on Daniel Agger. Free kick taken by Jamie Carragher.
- 13:35 The ball is delivered by Luis Suarez, comfortable save by Mark Bunn.
- 12:50 Luis Suarez takes a shot. Blocked by Ryan Bennett.
- 12:19 Luis Suarez fouled by Alexander Tettey, the ref awards a free kick. Leiva Lucas restarts play with the free kick.
- 11:36 Daniel Sturridge takes a shot. Save made by Mark Bunn.
- 7:25 Stewart Downing has an effort at goal from outside the area missing to the wide right of the goal.
- 6:08 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Grant Holt by Leiva Lucas. A cross is delivered by Robert Snodgrass, Ryan Bennett takes a shot. Save made by Brad Jones.
- 3:55 Centre by Glen Johnson.
- 2:26 Centre by Luis Suarez, Stewart Downing has a headed effort at goal from close in which goes wide right of the target.
- 0:00 The match has kicked off.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
CommentsJump to comments pagination
Comment number 318.Josh16
21st January 2013 - 16:38
Comment number 317.Mark Sheasby
21st January 2013 - 9:54
Comment number 316.Tanglefoot
20th January 2013 - 23:43
Comment number 315.LHolmes
20th January 2013 - 22:16
Comment number 314.justice96ynwa
20th January 2013 - 19:10