Ipswich 1 - 1 Barnsley
Barnsley teenager Danny Rose headed in a dramatic late equaliser to deny Ipswich their first win of the year.
The 19-year-old striker had only been on the field for four minutes when he headed in Tom Kennedy's cross for the first league goal of his career.
Ipswich defender Luke Chambers had given the hosts the lead early in the second half with a fierce low shot.
But as Town fans prepared to celebrate a third league victory in five home games, Rose struck for Barnsley.
Barnsley dominated for long periods, but squandered a hatful of chances in David Flitcroft's first game as permanent manager.
Striker Marlon Harewood was guilty of missing more than a few, but he was not alone. Chris Dagnall twice went close in the early exchanges, his angled shot blocked by Ipswich defender Chambers before home goalkeeper Scott Loach parried a goalbound effort.
Barnsley continued to create chances, the best of which fell again to Harewood in time added on at the end of the first half when he fired against the foot of the post.
But Ipswich took the lead against the run of play 10 minutes into the second half.
Defender Aaron Cresswell swung the ball into the area and when Barnsley failed to clear the danger, Chambers - who had blazed a similar chance over the crossbar in the first half - lashed the bouncing ball into the bottom corner.
Chances at either end dried up as temperatures began to drop before Harewood wasted another chance when free inside the area, pulling his low shot wide.
Dagnall was next to pass up the opportunity of an equaliser for the Tykes, heading Kennedy's cross wide from six yards and Harewood fired wide again after the ball had ricocheted to him inside the box.
But with the clock ticking down, substitute Rose climbed highest at the far post to head home the visitors' 89th-minute equaliser.
Barnsley boss David Flitcroft: "It was a hard-earned point. We can't afford to do anything other than go all-out for victories.
"We've got to win games and gain momentum, by picking up three points. It would have been catastrophic if we'd come away with no points."
Ipswich manager Mick McCarthy: "They were the better side and took the game to us. They didn't sit back and try and catch us on the counter.
"We would have nicked it if we'd taken the three points and I'd have been delighted.
"We'll take the point, put it in our pocket and keep it and make sure we keep picking up more."
Live text and stats
Saturday, 19 January 2013
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 01 Loach
- 03 Cresswell
- 04 Chambers
- 20 Smith
- 24 Orr
- 07 Edwards
- 08 N'daw
- 11 Martin (Murphy 68)
- 19 Hyam
- 16 McGoldrick (Chopra 75)
- 25 Mclean (Nouble 60)
- 12 Lee-Barrett,
- 02 Hewitt,
- 06 Kisnorbo,
- 17 Drury,
- 10 Chopra,
- 27 Murphy,
- 35 Nouble
- 01 Steele
- 03 Golbourne (Done 69)
- 06 Foster
- 25 Cranie
- 33 Kennedy
- 34 Stones
- 07 Dawson (Etuhu 12)
- 11 Perkins yellow card
- 21 Mellis (Rose 85)
- 13 Dagnall
- 16 Harewood
- 12 Alnwick,
- 02 Hassell,
- 14 Wiseman,
- 10 Done,
- 19 Cywka,
- 23 Etuhu,
- 32 Rose
- Ipswich 53%
- Barnsley 47%
Attempts on target
- Ipswich 8
- Barnsley 3
Attempts off target
- Ipswich 7
- Barnsley 11
- Ipswich 5
- Barnsley 6
- Ipswich 5
- Barnsley 5
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+4:47 The referee signals the end of the game.
- 90:00+3:59 John Stones concedes a free kick for a foul on Aaron Cresswell. Free kick taken by Aaron Cresswell.
- 90:00+2:38 Effort on goal by Carlos Edwards from just inside the penalty box goes harmlessly over the target.
- 90:00+2:11 Matty Done is caught offside. Scott Loach takes the free kick.
- 90:00+0:29 Daryl Murphy gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Luke Steele. Luke Steele takes the direct free kick. The referee penalises Danny Rose for handball. Indirect free kick taken by Scott Loach.
- 89:43 Foul by David Perkins on Aaron Cresswell, free kick awarded. Aaron Cresswell takes the free kick.
- 88:10 Assist by Tom Kennedy.
- 88:10 GOAL - Danny Rose:Ipswich 1 - 1 Barnsley Danny Rose finds the back of the net with a goal from inside the box to the bottom left corner of the goal. Ipswich 1-1 Barnsley.
- 87:06 Corner taken by Tom Kennedy from the left by-line, Frank Nouble makes a clearance. Tom Kennedy takes the inswinging corner, save by Scott Loach. Corner taken by Tom Kennedy from the left by-line,
- 86:55 Centre by Tom Kennedy, Aaron Cresswell manages to make a clearance.
- 84:59 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Matty Done by Bradley Orr. David Perkins takes the free kick.
- 84:26 Substitution Danny Rose is brought on as a substitute for Jacob Mellis.
- 83:01 Outswinging corner taken from the left by-line by Aaron Cresswell, clearance by Martin Cranie.
- 82:42 The ball is crossed by Daryl Murphy, blocked by John Stones.
- 82:06 The ball is swung over by Tom Kennedy, save made by Scott Loach.
- 79:20 The ball is swung over by Chris Dagnall, Aaron Cresswell makes a clearance.
- 77:41 Marlon Harewood has an effort at goal from close range which goes wide of the left-hand upright.
- 75:52 Aaron Cresswell has an effort at goal from 35 yards and went wide left of the goal.
- 74:25 Substitution Michael Chopra comes on in place of David McGoldrick.
- 74:25 Stephen Foster produces a header from close range which goes wide of the left-hand upright.
- 73:49 Bradley Orr concedes a free kick for a foul on Jacob Mellis. Tom Kennedy restarts play with the free kick.
- 72:15 Outswinging corner taken by Carlos Edwards, Kelvin Etuhu makes a clearance.
- 71:08 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Frank Nouble by Stephen Foster. Aaron Cresswell takes the free kick.
- 70:35 Kelvin Etuhu takes a long range shot harmlessly clearing the crossbar.
- 68:41 Effort on goal by Marlon Harewood from deep inside the penalty area misses to the right of the goal.
- 67:47 Substitution Scott Golbourne leaves the field to be replaced by Matty Done.
- 67:47 Substitution (Ipswich) makes a substitution, with Daryl Murphy coming on for Lee Martin.
- 67:30 Jacob Mellis has an effort at goal from outside the box which goes wide right of the target.
- 66:51 Carlos Edwards produces a cross, save by Luke Steele.
- 66:09 Shot from long distance by Guirane N'Daw misses to the right of the goal.
- 65:20 The referee blows for offside against Chris Dagnall. Free kick taken by Scott Loach.
- 64:50 Effort from outside the box by David McGoldrick goes wide right of the target.
- 61:04 The ball is sent over by Luke Chambers, save made by Luke Steele.
- 59:23 Substitution Frank Nouble is brought on as a substitute for Aaron Mclean.
- 59:03 Guirane N'Daw takes a shot. Blocked by Tom Kennedy.
- 58:25 Lee Martin takes a shot. Save by Luke Steele.
- 57:40 Jacob Mellis takes the outswinging corner, clearance made by Tommy Smith.
- 55:45 Assist by Tommy Smith.
- 55:45 GOAL - Luke Chambers:Ipswich 1 - 0 Barnsley Goal scored by Luke Chambers from inside the box to the bottom right corner of the goal. Ipswich 1-0 Barnsley.
- 54:57 Aaron Cresswell takes the direct free kick.
- 54:57 Booking David Perkins receives a caution for unsporting behaviour.
- 54:49 David Perkins gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Lee Martin.
- 54:20 Foul by Guirane N'Daw on David Perkins, free kick awarded. David Perkins restarts play with the free kick.
- 53:47 The ball is sent over by Lee Martin, clearance made by Stephen Foster.
- 52:48 Centre by Lee Martin, Stephen Foster makes a clearance.
- 52:31 Bradley Orr delivers the ball, clearance by John Stones.
- 50:12 Aaron Cresswell sends in a cross.
- 49:00 Marlon Harewood is ruled offside. Scott Loach restarts play with the free kick.
- 47:45 Bradley Orr sends in a cross, Luke Steele makes a comfortable save.
- 46:41 The ball is swung over by Carlos Edwards, save by Luke Steele.
- 45:48 Bradley Orr sends in a cross, clearance by Tom Kennedy.
- 45:01 The referee blows his whistle to start the second half.
- Half Time
- 45:00+5:28 The match has reached half-time.
- 45:00+3:52 Marlon Harewood crosses the ball, blocked by Tommy Smith. Corner taken by Jacob Mellis.
- 45:00+3:06 Aaron Mclean delivers the ball, save made by Luke Steele.
- 45:00+2:55 The ball is sent over by Carlos Edwards.
- 45:00+2:22 The offside flag is raised against Lee Martin. Luke Steele takes the free kick.
- 45:00+1:15 Stephen Foster produces a right-footed shot from just outside the box that misses to the right of the target.
- 45:00+0:24 Effort from deep inside the box by Marlon Harewood hits the post.
- 40:39 David Perkins delivers the ball.
- 40:12 Lee Martin takes a shot. Save made by Luke Steele.
- 38:32 Guirane N'Daw has a shot on goal from outside the box which misses right.
- 31:40 Lee Martin takes a shot. Blocked by Chris Dagnall. Outswinging corner taken by Lee Martin from the right by-line.
- 30:41 Aaron Cresswell takes the indirect free kick.
- 28:45 Marlon Harewood produces a right-footed shot from the edge of the box and misses to the right of the target.
- 26:08 Jacob Mellis takes a shot from inside the box clearing the bar.
- 25:26 Shot by David McGoldrick from 25 yards. Blocked by Martin Cranie. Aaron Cresswell concedes a free kick for a foul on Jacob Mellis. Free kick taken by Martin Cranie.
- 23:32 Chris Dagnall takes a shot. Save made by Luke Steele. Aaron Mclean fouled by Martin Cranie, the ref awards a free kick. Aaron Cresswell delivers the ball, Close range strike by Luke Chambers goes over the bar.
- 22:31 Jacob Mellis crosses the ball, Aaron Cresswell manages to make a clearance.
- 21:27 Chris Dagnall takes a shot. Luke Chambers gets a block in.
- 19:41 Corner taken right-footed by Jacob Mellis, Header from deep inside the area by Stephen Foster goes over the bar.
- 19:21 Centre by Marlon Harewood, clearance made by Tommy Smith.
- 18:48 The ball is crossed by Kelvin Etuhu, Tommy Smith makes a clearance.
- 16:32 Marlon Harewood sends in a cross, clearance made by Aaron Cresswell.
- 13:58 David Perkins produces a left-footed shot from just outside the box that goes wide left of the goal.
- 13:11 The referee blows for offside. Indirect free kick taken by Luke Steele.
- 11:06 Substitution Kelvin Etuhu joins the action as a substitute, replacing Stephen Dawson.
- 5:26 Aaron Cresswell takes a shot. Short corner worked by Lee Martin. Stephen Dawson gets a block in.
- 2:07 Corner from the left by-line taken by Lee Martin, Guirane N'Daw has a header from close range and clears the crossbar.
- 1:43 Carlos Edwards takes a shot. Save by Luke Steele.
- 0:32 Chris Dagnall is flagged offside by the assistant referee. Tommy Smith takes the free kick.
- 0:00 The referee gets the match started.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.