Swansea 0 - 0 Chelsea (agg 2 - 0)
Swansea City are into their first major Cup final after holding 10-man Chelsea to a scoreless draw in a controversial Capital One semi-final second leg at the Liberty Stadium.
The result gave them a 2-0 aggregate win, but was marred by the sending off of Chelsea's Eden Hazard after he appeared to kick a ball boy.
The Belgian midfielder was dismissed in the 80th minute after an incident behind the home side's goal.
"What a fantastic night for all concerned at Swansea City and they thoroughly deserved it. Chelsea came here needing to score two goals but never looked a serious threat all night. It is thoroughly deserved for what they've done as a club over the last two years."
The Swans face League Two Bradford in the final at Wembley.
Hazard's red card came after he tangled with a ball boy, who was slow getting the ball back into play. He appeared to lay on the ball and TV replays showed Hazard kicking him.
But the incident failed to take the edge off the celebrations at the Liberty Stadium, as the crowd sang their approval of Swansea's stubborn resistance.
It was in stark contrast to the Chelsea players, who trooped off heads down as the party started around them.
The result piled more pressure on interim manager Rafael Benitez as his side failed to maintain their recent good away form.
Like the first leg they had plenty of possession, but failed to turn it into a goal.
No one summed up Swansea's determination better than Michu. His industry was exhausting to watch as he ploughed a lone furrow up front and chased every lost cause.
Small wonder the Swansea management were delighted when he signed a one-year contract extension before the game.
Benitez made a statement before the game, dropping Fernando Torres to the bench with Demba Ba leading the attack.
Swansea, who were last in a major semi-final in 1964 when they lost 2-1 in the the FA Cup to Preston North End, welcomed back Chico Flores with Leon Britton coming in for Itay Shechter.
The game took off in the seventh minute when Ba went down under a challenge from Ben Davies claiming a penalty, but got only a corner for his trouble.
The Swans broke quickly at the other end with Jonathan de Guzman's goalbound shot brilliantly blocked by Cesar Azpilicueta, while Petr Cech had to save after Michu was put through on goal.
Chelsea hit back with Gerhard Tremmel forced into saves from Oscar and Ramires, though Gary Cahill went closest with a free header cleared off the line by Angel Rangel.
Ba blasted over just before the half-time whistle, which the Swans were happy to hear.
And the Senegalese striker was quickly into action after the break, curling a shot just past Tremmel's left-hand post.
Chelsea continued to probe, but their frustration grew and boiled over when Hazard tangled with the ball boy after another attack petered out.
Ba had to calm a clearly irate Swansea captain Ashley Williams and, after a long break, referee Chris Foy showed Hazard a red card.
Chelsea's threat evaporated, and it was the Swans egged on by a euphoric crowd who finished the stronger, with Nathan Dyer forcing a superb save out of Cech.
Live text and stats
Wednesday, 23 January 2013
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
|(HT 0-0)(agg 2-0)|
- 25 Tremmel
- 04 Chico
- 06 Williams
- 22 Rangel
- 33 Davies
- 07 Britton
- 09 Michu
- 11 Pablo
- 15 Routledge (Dyer 65)
- 20 De Guzman
- 24 Ki Sung-Yeung
- 01 Cech
- 02 Ivanovic (David Luiz 68)
- 03 Cole (Bertrand 86)
- 24 Cahill
- 28 Azpilicueta
- 07 Ramires
- 08 Lampard
- 10 Mata
- 11 Oscar (Torres 81)
- 17 Hazard red card
- 29 Ba
- Swansea 48%
- Chelsea 52%
Attempts on target
- Swansea 4
- Chelsea 5
Attempts off target
- Swansea 3
- Chelsea 8
- Swansea 3
- Chelsea 5
- Swansea 6
- Chelsea 2
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+6:04 The referee ends the match.
- 90:00+4:22 Nathan Dyer takes a shot. Save made by Petr Cech. Jonathan de Guzman decides to take the corner short.
- 90:00+1:15 Corner taken short by Sung-Yeung Ki.
- 85:20 Substitution (Chelsea) makes a substitution, with Ryan Bertrand coming on for Ashley Cole.
- 83:21 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Nascimento Ramires by Miguel Michu. Juan Mata fires a strike on goal direct from the free kick.
- 82:04 Pablo Hernandez takes a shot. Save by Petr Cech.
- 80:55 Substitution (Chelsea) makes a substitution, with Fernando Torres coming on for Emboaba Oscar.
- 79:56 Sent off Eden Hazard shown a red card for violent conduct.
- 73:43 A cross is delivered by Emboaba Oscar, save by Gerhard Tremmel.
- 72:45 Juan Mata takes a shot. Save by Gerhard Tremmel.
- 70:56 Nathan Dyer produces a cross.
- 67:41 Juan Mata takes the inswinging corner, Miguel Michu manages to make a clearance. Demba Ba gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Miguel Michu. Direct free kick taken by Gerhard Tremmel.
- 67:01 Substitution David Luiz replaces Branislav Ivanovic.
- 64:09 Substitution Nathan Dyer is brought on as a substitute for Wayne Routledge.
- 63:05 Ashley Cole takes a shot. Chico gets a block in.
- 58:51 Ashley Cole fouled by Pablo Hernandez, the ref awards a free kick. Juan Mata restarts play with the free kick, Effort on goal by Frank Lampard from just inside the penalty area goes over the target.
- 57:52 Nascimento Ramires produces a right-footed shot from the edge of the box and misses to the right of the goal.
- 55:36 Free kick awarded for a foul by Demba Ba on Pablo Hernandez. Angel Rangel takes the direct free kick.
- 53:09 Ben Davies produces a cross.
- 51:34 Inswinging corner taken by Juan Mata from the right by-line, save by Gerhard Tremmel.
- 50:16 Effort from deep inside the area by Demba Ba misses to the right of the target.
- 46:45 Pablo Hernandez is flagged offside by the assistant referee. Free kick taken by Gary Cahill.
- 45:01 The second half kicks off.
- Half Time
- 45:00+2:05 The whistle is blown to end the first half.
- 45:00+0:30 Effort on goal by Demba Ba from just inside the box goes harmlessly over the target.
- 41:59 Miguel Michu gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Branislav Ivanovic. Petr Cech takes the direct free kick.
- 37:34 The official flags Eden Hazard offside. Chico takes the direct free kick.
- 34:33 Emboaba Oscar takes a shot. Save by Gerhard Tremmel.
- 33:20 Demba Ba has an effort at goal from 18 yards. Blocked by Chico.
- 30:16 Sung-Yeung Ki gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Eden Hazard. Eden Hazard takes the free kick.
- 23:18 Nascimento Ramires takes a shot. Comfortable save by Gerhard Tremmel.
- 22:38 Pablo Hernandez takes a shot. Ashley Williams gets a block in.
- 19:20 Eden Hazard produces a right-footed shot from the edge of the box and misses to the right of the goal. Juan Mata takes a inswinging corner to the near post. Corner taken right-footed by Juan Mata, Gary Cahill takes a shot. Ben Davies makes a clearance. Eden Hazard takes a shot. Save made by Gerhard Tremmel.
- 16:53 Jonathan de Guzman takes a shot. Blocked by Cesar Azpilicueta. Sung-Yeung Ki has shot on goal from just outside the area which goes wide of the right-hand upright. The referee blows for offside. Branislav Ivanovic takes the direct free kick.
- 14:51 The offside flag is raised against Miguel Michu. Free kick taken by Gary Cahill.
- 13:06 Chico challenges Demba Ba unfairly and gives away a free kick. Ashley Cole restarts play with the free kick.
- 11:49 Emboaba Oscar fouled by Miguel Michu, the ref awards a free kick. Free kick taken by Emboaba Oscar.
- 9:25 The assistant referee signals for offside against Sung-Yeung Ki. Indirect free kick taken by Petr Cech.
- 8:55 Miguel Michu takes a shot. Save by Petr Cech.
- 7:12 Wayne Routledge produces a volleyed right-footed shot from 12 yards. Cesar Azpilicueta gets a block in. Jonathan de Guzman takes the inswinging corner, clearance made by Frank Lampard.
- 6:32 Inswinging corner taken left-footed by Juan Mata played to the near post, clearance by Miguel Michu.
- 0:00 The referee gets the game started.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.