Norwich 0 - 1 Luton
Scott Rendell's late strike stunned Premier League Norwich City as Luton Town became the first non-league team to knock a top-flight side out of the FA Cup since 1989.
The substitute's near-post effort with 10 minutes remaining capped off a monumental display from the Hatters.
Norwich missed decent chances through Grant Holt and Leon Barnett.
But Blue Square Bet Premier side Luton held firm after Rendell's goal to dramatically reach the fifth round.
Who is Scott Rendell?
- The 26-year-old started at Aldershot in 2004 - Luton are his 13th club
- Joined Forest Green, via Reading, and scored first goal against Cambridge, whom he later signed for
- After a loan period with Hayes, had good stint at Crawley, where he scored 22 goals, before a £115,000 move to Peterborough
- Spells at Yeovil, Torquay and Wycombe before being loaned to Bristol Rovers
- Briefly at Oxford before signing two-year deal with Luton in summer of 2012
Non-league minnows beating a top-tier side is a feat unheard of since 1989, when Sutton United of the Conference toppled Coventry City 2-1 in the third round.
Luton, unlike Sutton, are steeped in Football League history, but this result will be considered one of the great upsets purely for the fact that it was played out on the Premier League club's own turf.
These two sides were in the same division just six years ago, facing each other in the Championship, but three successive relegations and a raft of financial problems led to the Hatters' dramatic and swift decline, to the point that they are now in their fourth season in the Blue Square Bet Premier.
But Paul Buckle's side, slayers of Championship Wolves in the third round, belied the 85 places between themselves and their hosts.
This was no smash and grab win - it was fully deserved.
Luton started strongly, pushing high up the pitch and pinning the Canaries back, but had few chances to show for their dominance.
Norwich, lacklustre in the opening 30 minutes, improved and had opportunities through Simeon Jackson and Harry Kane before Leon Barnett struck a post and saw his rebounded effort cleared off the line.
The Hatters, beaten FA Cup finalists in 1959, were resolute though and coped with the powerful presence of striker Grant Holt, who was brought off the bench at half-time by a desperate Norwich boss Chris Hughton.
Holt did come close, heading at keeper Mark Tyler at the back post and teeing up Simeon Jackson but his effort went straight at the keeper.
However, Luton not only soaked up Canaries pressure, they showed intent of their own, and as the game drew on, and Norwich poured further forward in an attempt to avoid a replay, the visitors were finding space to break into.
Alex Lawless, the goalscoring hero against Wolves, came close, but, with 10 minutes remaining, the Hatters were in dreamland.
JJ O'Donnell steamed into the left channel and fizzed a ball into the near post; substitute Rendell, a journeyman of lower-league sides including Cambridge United and Torquay, applied a deft touch and the ball nipped past Declan Rudd and into the net.
The Canaries, visibly rattled, lacked composure as they searched for the goal to spare their blushes.
But Luton, with Janos Kovacs reassuringly solid at the centre of defence, held strong against a series of balls into the box.
They got the luck they deserved when referee Andre Mariner missed Lathaniel Rowe-Turner's handball in his own penalty area.
And after four minutes of injury time, the side who have spent four seasons trying to regain Football League status, were on their way into the fifth round.
Norwich, whose only win in their last seven games came in the last round of this competition at Peterborough, have worrying problems to address as they look to avoid Premier League relegation.
But the scenes of jubilation from Luton's fans, players and staff, showed that this was truly their moment.
Live text and stats
Saturday, 26 January 2013
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 13 Rudd
- 02 R Martin
- 18 Garrido
- 20 Barnett
- 24 R Bennett
- 08 Howson
- 11 Surman (Hoolahan 72)
- 15 Fox
- 17 E Bennett (Pilkington 73)
- 10 Jackson
- 37 Kane (Holt 46)
- 01 Tyler
- 02 Rowe-Turner
- 03 Taylor
- 06 Kovacs
- 11 Howells
- 25 Henry
- 07 Lawless
- 14 Mendy (O'Donnell 68)
- 24 Smith
- 09 Shaw (Rendell 74)
- 27 Gray (Fleetwood 75)
- 33 Brill,
- 15 Watkins,
- 17 O'Donnell,
- 19 Dance,
- 23 Robinson,
- 10 Rendell,
- 13 Fleetwood
- Norwich 49%
- Luton 51%
Attempts on target
- Norwich 6
- Luton 2
Attempts off target
- Norwich 5
- Luton 4
- Norwich 4
- Luton 2
- Norwich 5
- Luton 9
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+3:42 The referee ends the match.
- 90:00+2:08 Jonathan Howson produces a cross.
- 90:00+0:11 Unfair challenge on Grant Holt by Janos Kovacs results in a free kick. David Fox crosses the ball in from the free kick, Mark Tyler makes a save.
- 89:25 The ball is delivered by Wesley Hoolahan, Janos Kovacs makes a clearance.
- 88:48 Anthony Pilkington delivers the ball, clearance made by Scott Rendell.
- 88:03 The ball is delivered by Anthony Pilkington, Wesley Hoolahan produces a left-footed shot from close range that goes over the bar.
- 85:48 Grant Holt crosses the ball, clearance made by Lathaniel Rowe-Turner.
- 82:57 Grant Holt sends in a cross, Russell Martin produces a header from close range which goes wide of the left-hand upright.
- 79:45 JJ O'Donnell provided the assist for the goal.
- 79:45 GOAL - Scott Rendell:Norwich 0 - 1 Luton Scott Rendell grabs a goal from close range to the top left corner of the goal. Norwich 0-1 Luton.
- 79:44 The ball is swung over by JJ O'Donnell,
- 79:07 Foul by Stuart Fleetwood on Leon Barnett, free kick awarded. Declan Rudd restarts play with the free kick.
- 78:30 Alex Lawless produces a volleyed right-footed shot from deep inside the penalty box which goes wide of the right-hand upright.
- 77:55 The assistant referee flags for offside against Simeon Jackson. Mark Tyler restarts play with the free kick.
- 77:17 Centre by Javier Garrido, Header by Anthony Pilkington from deep inside the penalty area misses to the left of the goal.
- 77:02 The ball is swung over by Anthony Pilkington, clearance by JJ O'Donnell.
- 75:22 Janos Kovacs gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Grant Holt. Free kick taken by Wesley Hoolahan.
- 75:09 JJ O'Donnell crosses the ball, clearance by Javier Garrido.
- 73:56 Substitution Stuart Fleetwood is brought on as a substitute for Andre Gray.
- 73:56 Substitution Scott Rendell joins the action as a substitute, replacing Jon Shaw.
- 73:29 Centre by Simeon Jackson, Greg Taylor manages to make a clearance.
- 71:34 Mark Tyler restarts play with the free kick.
- 71:34 Substitution Anthony Pilkington comes on in place of Elliott Bennett.
- 71:34 Substitution Wesley Hoolahan joins the action as a substitute, replacing Andrew Surman.
- 71:34 The official flags Grant Holt offside.
- 69:04 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Jon Shaw by Javier Garrido. Ronnie Henry sends in a cross, Andre Gray produces a right-footed shot from inside the area that clears the bar.
- 67:35 Substitution Arnaud Mendy leaves the field to be replaced by JJ O'Donnell.
- 66:59 Unfair challenge on Leon Barnett by Andre Gray results in a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Declan Rudd.
- 66:48 Centre by Andrew Surman, save by Mark Tyler.
- 65:39 Centre by Russell Martin, clearance made by Jonathan Smith.
- 64:38 Russell Martin delivers the ball, clearance by Lathaniel Rowe-Turner.
- 63:24 The ball is delivered by Andrew Surman.
- 62:16 Jon Shaw has an effort at goal from outside the area missing to the wide left of the goal.
- 61:52 Shot by Andrew Surman. Save made by Mark Tyler.
- 60:45 The ball is crossed by Alex Lawless, Jonathan Howson manages to make a clearance.
- 57:13 David Fox takes a outswinging corner.
- 57:05 Centre by Russell Martin, clearance made by Janos Kovacs.
- 56:38 Jonathan Howson delivers the ball, Janos Kovacs manages to make a clearance.
- 55:22 Unfair challenge on Lathaniel Rowe-Turner by Simeon Jackson results in a free kick. Mark Tyler takes the free kick.
- 54:36 Simeon Jackson sends in a cross, Grant Holt takes a shot. Save made by Mark Tyler.
- 53:56 Andrew Surman delivers the ball, save by Mark Tyler.
- 52:56 Corner taken by David Fox from the right by-line to the near post, clearance by Janos Kovacs.
- 51:17 Unfair challenge on Janos Kovacs by Grant Holt results in a free kick. Free kick taken by Ronnie Henry.
- 50:06 Jake Howells challenges Elliott Bennett unfairly and gives away a free kick. Russell Martin restarts play with the free kick.
- 49:51 Ronnie Henry sends in a cross, Ryan Bennett makes a clearance.
- 49:22 The ball is swung over by Leon Barnett, Shot by Simeon Jackson. Save by Mark Tyler.
- 48:27 Andre Gray takes a shot. Comfortable save by Declan Rudd.
- 48:12 Ronnie Henry produces a cross, clearance by Ryan Bennett.
- 46:27 The ball is crossed by Jonathan Smith, Headed effort from inside the box by Jake Howells misses to the right of the target.
- 45:57 A cross is delivered by Ronnie Henry, Leon Barnett makes a clearance.
- 45:01 The match restarts for the second half.
- 45:01 Substitution Harry Kane leaves the field to be replaced by Grant Holt.
- Half Time
- 45:00+1:15 The first half comes to an end.
- 45:00+0:40 Effort from the edge of the area by Russell Martin goes wide of the left-hand upright.
- 45:00+0:27 The ball is swung over by Harry Kane, clearance by Lathaniel Rowe-Turner.
- 43:06 Javier Garrido fouled by Andre Gray, the ref awards a free kick. Declan Rudd takes the direct free kick.
- 40:18 Outswinging corner taken right-footed by David Fox from the right by-line, Header from inside the area by Simeon Jackson bounces off the post.
- 32:52 David Fox takes the outswinging corner, clearance made by Jonathan Smith.
- 32:31 The ball is swung over by Andrew Surman, Shot by Harry Kane. Greg Taylor manages to make a clearance.
- 28:15 Centre by Elliott Bennett, save made by Mark Tyler.
- 27:58 Elliott Bennett delivers the ball, clearance made by Lathaniel Rowe-Turner.
- 27:44 Andrew Surman takes the chance to get an effort at goal. Janos Kovacs gets a block in.
- 27:23 Shot from 12 yards by Simeon Jackson. Save by Mark Tyler.
- 26:55 Andrew Surman delivers the ball, Janos Kovacs manages to make a clearance.
- 25:09 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Harry Kane by Jonathan Smith. The free kick is swung in right-footed by Elliott Bennett, Janos Kovacs makes a clearance.
- 24:17 Janos Kovacs produces a cross, Leon Barnett makes a clearance.
- 24:04 A cross is delivered by Greg Taylor, clearance by Javier Garrido.
- 22:13 Elliott Bennett crosses the ball, Ronnie Henry manages to make a clearance.
- 20:51 Elliott Bennett delivers the ball.
- 20:15 Centre by Andre Gray, Ryan Bennett makes a clearance.
- 18:51 The ball is crossed by Andrew Surman.
- 16:13 Centre by Alex Lawless, clearance by Ryan Bennett.
- 15:40 Simeon Jackson gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Ronnie Henry. Mark Tyler restarts play with the free kick.
- 14:22 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Andrew Surman by Jon Shaw. Javier Garrido takes the direct free kick.
- 13:30 Jonathan Smith challenges Jonathan Howson unfairly and gives away a free kick. Declan Rudd takes the direct free kick.
- 11:52 Alex Lawless takes a inswinging corner to the near post, clearance by Harry Kane.
- 11:31 The ball is swung over by Ronnie Henry, clearance made by Simeon Jackson.
- 10:52 Elliott Bennett challenges Jake Howells unfairly and gives away a free kick. The free kick is swung in left-footed by Greg Taylor, Leon Barnett makes a clearance.
- 8:37 A cross is delivered by Jonathan Howson, Janos Kovacs manages to make a clearance.
- 6:04 The ball is sent over by Simeon Jackson, save by Mark Tyler.
- 3:28 Inswinging corner taken by Jake Howells from the right by-line played to the near post, Harry Kane manages to make a clearance.
- 0:00 The referee starts the match.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
CommentsJump to comments pagination
Comment number 266.Cambridge United 2011
28th January 2013 - 1:02
Comment number 265.Little_Old_Me
27th January 2013 - 13:28
Comment number 264.Looternite
27th January 2013 - 13:18
Comment number 263.1978 Shoot league ladders
27th January 2013 - 11:33
Comment number 262.PGB Addick
27th January 2013 - 10:37