Macclesfield 0 - 1 Wigan
Wigan survived a stern test from non-league Macclesfield to reach the fifth-round of the FA Cup for only the second time in their history.
The Latics had to hang on for long spells against the lowest-ranked club left in the competition after taking the lead through a sixth-minute Jordi Gomez penalty but did enough to avoid the upset that many had predicted.
Wigan's recent FA Cup misery
- 2011/12: Lost 2-1 in the third round to League One side Swindon
- 2010/11: Beaten 1-0 in a fourth round replay by then Premier League rivals Bolton
- 2009/10: Collapse to a 2-0 fourth round replay defeat by League Two outfit Notts County
Macclesfield had already knocked out Championship leaders Cardiff and League One high-flyers Swindon to reach this stage for the first time in their 139-year history and Wigan boss Roberto Martinez picked a weakened team that saw eight changes from their last Premier League game - a 3-2 home defeat by Sunderland.
But the home fans who had helped clear the Moss Rose pitch of snow on Saturday morning saw the Blue Square Bet Premier side get off to the worst possible start, with referee Roger East awarding Wigan a penalty after just six minutes.
There was no doubt about the decision, either. Thierry Audel timed his challenge all wrong as he tried to stop Callum McManaman in his tracks, and ended up sending him cartwheeling to the ground.
Goalkeeper Joe Anyon's first touch as a Macclesfield player after joining on an emergency loan on Friday was to get a hand to Gomez's spot-kick, but he could not keep it out.
The Silkmen responded well to that early set-back, however, and although 83 places separate the side in the league pyramid, Wigan never looked entirely comfortable with their lead.
Macclesfield soon settled down to play the sort of neat passing football that is not too different from the Latics' own brand, and chances duly followed.
John Paul Kissock headed wide, Waide Fairhurst tested Wigan's debut keeper Joel Robles and Sam Wedbury fired over.
Wigan were still threatening on the break, with McManaman a constant menace, but he fired wide when Anyon's punch landed at his feet on the edge of the area,
And the home side should have been level before half-time when Audel missed an opportunity to redeem himself for his early error.
The Silkmen, who had a penalty appeal turned down when Fairhurst was bundled over in the box, saw the French defender rise to meet the corner they were awarded instead, only to head straight at Joel from six yards out.
Wigan had an opportunity to give themselves some much-needed breathing space when Nouha Dicko ran through at the start of the second half but he fired straight at Anyon.
And they were made to fight hard to defend their narrow lead as Steve King's Macclesfield continued to push them back with their enterprising attacking play.
A stand-out chance to compare with the one that Audel wasted earlier never materialised, however, and the home side's clearest sight of goal saw Keiran Murtagh get the ball stuck under his feet as he shaped to shoot from a Matthew Barnes-Homer cross.
There was another big shout for a home penalty turned down when Ryan Jackson's cross appeared to strike a Wigan hand in the box but referee East turned down the appeal after consulting his linesman, Richard West.
And the Latics held out, despite some sustained late pressure, to book their place in round five for the first time since 1987.
Live text and stats
Saturday, 26 January 2013
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 40 Anyon
- 02 Jackson yellow card
- 05 Brown
- 22 Braham-Barrett yellow card
- 30 Audel
- 07 Mackreth
- 08 Murtagh
- 17 Wedgbury
- 19 Kissock (Winn 78)
- 09 Barnes-Homer
- 20 Fairhurst yellow card (McDonald 76)
- 13 Mills,
- 14 Diagne,
- 31 Martin,
- 18 Henry,
- 10 Morgan-Smith,
- 11 Winn,
- 23 McDonald
- 01 Blazquez
- 23 Stam
- 25 Golobart
- 27 Mustoe yellow card
- 31 Figueroa yellow card
- 14 Gomez
- 18 Espinoza yellow card
- 20 Fyvie (Jones 53)
- 11 Henriquez yellow card
- 15 McManaman
- 29 Dicko (Lopez 66)
- Macclesfield 47%
- Wigan 53%
Attempts on target
- Macclesfield 5
- Wigan 1
Attempts off target
- Macclesfield 8
- Wigan 4
- Macclesfield 6
- Wigan 2
- Macclesfield 9
- Wigan 16
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+5:26 The referee blows his whistle to end the game.
- 90:00+2:05 Effort from outside the penalty box by Keiran Murtagh goes wide right of the target.
- 90:00+0:23 Foul by Angelo Henriquez on Peter Winn, free kick awarded. Peter Winn takes the direct free kick. Roman Golobart gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Jack Mackreth. Direct free kick taken by Jack Mackreth.
- 89:49 Free kick taken by Peter Winn.
- 89:49 Booking Angelo Henriquez booked for time wasting.
- 89:33 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Craig Braham-Barrett by Angelo Henriquez.
- 89:09 Peter Winn takes a outswinging corner from the left by-line played to the near post, David Jones makes a clearance.
- 88:34 Free kick crossed left-footed by Peter Winn from right channel, David Jones manages to make a clearance.
- 88:34 Booking Roger Espinoza is booked.
- 88:23 Foul by Roger Espinoza on Dean McDonald, free kick awarded.
- 86:52 Jordan Mustoe takes the free kick.
- 86:52 Booking Ryan Jackson booked for unsporting behaviour.
- 86:49 Ryan Jackson gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Jordan Mustoe.
- 85:58 Effort from deep inside the area by Peter Winn clears the bar.
- 82:47 Dean McDonald has shot on goal from just outside the penalty box which goes wide of the right-hand upright.
- 81:39 Ronnie Stam gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Craig Braham-Barrett. Peter Winn delivers the ball from the free kick left-footed from left wing, Jordi Gomez makes a clearance.
- 80:30 Header from close range by Thierry Audel misses to the right of the goal.
- 79:53 Corner taken by Peter Winn played to the near post, Callum McManaman makes a clearance.
- 79:39 Keiran Murtagh takes a shot from 20 yards. Roman Golobart gets a block in.
- 77:42 Substitution Peter Winn is brought on as a substitute for John Paul Kissock.
- 77:11 Matthew Barnes-Homer fouled by Maynor Figueroa, the ref awards a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Craig Braham-Barrett.
- 76:44 Dean McDonald concedes a free kick for a foul on Maynor Figueroa. Joel Robles takes the free kick.
- 75:53 Substitution Waide Fairhurst goes off and Dean McDonald comes on.
- 74:51 Callum McManaman fouled by Sam Wedgbury, the ref awards a free kick. Maynor Figueroa takes the direct free kick.
- 73:12 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Roger Espinoza by Sam Wedgbury. Maynor Figueroa restarts play with the free kick.
- 72:24 Effort on goal by Waide Fairhurst from just outside the penalty area goes harmlessly over the target.
- 71:02 The referee penalises Matthew Barnes-Homer for handball. Joel Robles takes the indirect free kick.
- 66:23 The offside flag is raised against Angelo Henriquez. Joe Anyon takes the free kick.
- 65:48 Substitution Adrian Lopez is brought on as a substitute for Nouha Dicko.
- 65:02 Inswinging corner taken by John Paul Kissock from the left by-line.
- 64:28 Corner taken right-footed by John Paul Kissock, save made by Joel Robles.
- 59:29 Unfair challenge on Thierry Audel by Angelo Henriquez results in a free kick. Free kick taken by Joe Anyon.
- 58:09 Maynor Figueroa has an effort direct from the free kick.
- 58:09 Booking Craig Braham-Barrett shown a yellow card.
- 58:04 Craig Braham-Barrett is penalised for handball and concedes a free kick.
- 56:02 Keiran Murtagh takes the direct free kick. Matthew Barnes-Homer takes a shot. Blocked by Maynor Figueroa.
- 56:02 Booking Maynor Figueroa is shown a yellow card for unsporting behaviour.
- 55:34 Maynor Figueroa challenges Jack Mackreth unfairly and gives away a free kick.
- 53:40 Joel Robles restarts play with the free kick.
- 53:40 Booking Waide Fairhurst is shown a yellow card.
- 53:21 Waide Fairhurst concedes a free kick for a foul on Roger Espinoza.
- 52:02 Substitution David Jones replaces Fraser Fyvie.
- 49:23 Corner taken left-footed by Roger Espinoza from the left by-line to the near post, Header at goal by Angelo Henriquez,
- 48:13 Matthew Barnes-Homer challenges Maynor Figueroa unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick taken by Maynor Figueroa.
- 47:29 Effort from inside the area by Waide Fairhurst misses to the left of the goal.
- 45:33 Nouha Dicko has an effort at goal. Fantastic save by Joe Anyon.
- 45:01 The game restarts for the second half.
- Half Time
- 45:00+1:25 The whistle is blown to end the first half.
- 43:23 Roger Espinoza takes a outswinging corner to the near post, Sam Wedgbury makes a clearance.
- 41:49 The official flags Nouha Dicko offside. Free kick taken by Joe Anyon.
- 41:04 Free kick awarded for a foul by Waide Fairhurst on Fraser Fyvie. Joel Robles takes the free kick.
- 39:49 Unfair challenge on Ryan Jackson by Nouha Dicko results in a free kick. Joe Anyon takes the direct free kick.
- 39:08 Thierry Audel takes a shot. Save made by Joel Robles.
- 38:14 Outswinging corner taken by John Paul Kissock from the right by-line.
- 37:42 The ball is crossed by Jack Mackreth, save by Joel Robles.
- 36:43 Free kick taken by Keiran Murtagh. John Paul Kissock has an effort at goal from 18 yards. Maynor Figueroa gets a block in.
- 36:43 Booking The referee shows Jordan Mustoe a yellow card for unsporting behaviour.
- 36:29 Free kick awarded for a foul by Jordan Mustoe on Jack Mackreth.
- 35:28 Angelo Henriquez takes a shot from just inside the penalty box which clears the crossbar.
- 33:29 Effort from just outside the area by Sam Wedgbury goes over the bar.
- 29:54 Shot by Matthew Barnes-Homer. Save by Joel Robles. Foul by Nathaniel Brown on Jordi Gomez, free kick awarded. Free kick taken by Jordi Gomez.
- 28:33 Roger Espinoza gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Sam Wedgbury. Joe Anyon takes the free kick.
- 27:28 The ball is swung over by Matthew Barnes-Homer, Joel Robles makes a comfortable save.
- 27:00 Free kick awarded for a foul by Fraser Fyvie on Sam Wedgbury. Free kick taken by Sam Wedgbury.
- 23:14 Corner taken by John Paul Kissock, Roger Espinoza makes a clearance.
- 22:08 The ball is delivered by Ronnie Stam, save by Joe Anyon. Callum McManaman has an effort at goal from just inside the box that misses to the right of the target.
- 19:17 Sam Wedgbury fouled by Ronnie Stam, the ref awards a free kick. Keiran Murtagh takes the free kick.
- 17:42 Waide Fairhurst fouled by Callum McManaman, the ref awards a free kick. Keiran Murtagh delivers the ball from the free kick right-footed from right wing, Roger Espinoza manages to make a clearance.
- 16:13 Nouha Dicko challenges Craig Braham-Barrett unfairly and gives away a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Joe Anyon.
- 14:52 Roman Golobart gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Matthew Barnes-Homer. Free kick taken by Keiran Murtagh.
- 13:45 Jack Mackreth delivers the ball, clearance made by Maynor Figueroa.
- 7:41 Effort from a long way out by Keiran Murtagh goes wide right of the goal.
- 6:17 Assist by Callum McManaman.
- 6:17 GOAL - Jordi Gomez:Macclesfield 0 - 1 Wigan Placed penalty scored by Jordi Gomez. Macclesfield 0-1 Wigan.
- 5:06 Thierry Audel challenges Callum McManaman unfairly and gives away a Penalty.
- 0:00 The game kicks-off.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.