Leeds United 2 - 1 Tottenham
Leeds sent Tottenham crashing out of the FA Cup with a famous fourth-round victory at Elland Road.
Luke Varney ran clear to give the Championship side an early lead as Tottenham failed to convert a series of first-half chances.
Ross McCormack made it 2-0 after more poor defending allowed him to turn inside Steve Caulker and slam home.
Clint Dempsey headed home to give Spurs hope but substitute Jon Obika could not convert his chance to level late on.
Tottenham had arrived in Yorkshire fourth in the Premier League and one of the favourites for the Cup, having reached the semi-finals twice in the last three seasons.
It is only a decade or so ago since Leeds were in similar company. Although they are slowly climbing back towards the top flight after spending time in the third tier, Neil Warnock's side came into this match in 11th place in the Championship and definite under-dogs.
Leeds season is cups campaign
Leeds are into the fifth round of the FA Cup for the first time since 2003, when Terry Venables was manager and they reached the quarter-finals before being beaten by Sheffield United. They also reached the quarter-finals of this season's Capital One Cup, beating Southampton and Everton before losing 5-1 to Chelsea.
But despite the decline in their fortunes, Leeds have still sprung a few recent cup shocks - beating Everton and Southampton in the Capital One Cup this season and, as a League One club, beating Manchester United at Old Trafford in 2010.
Tottenham boss Andre Villas-Boas picked a strong side - including Gareth Bale and Aaron Lennon - to try and avoid a similar upset but significantly he left Jermain Defoe, his only available out-and-out striker, out of his squad.
Clint Dempsey, who led the Spurs attack instead, has played up front plenty of times before in his career but as a lone frontman he often lacked support, as well as composure, in front of goal.
Spurs' problem was never about creating openings, with the first of many arriving after seven minutes when Gylfi Sigurdsson headed straight at Jamie Ashdown from 10 yards out, but taking them was a different matter.
Even without their top scorer Luciano Becchio, who was left out after handing in a transfer request on Friday, Leeds had no such worries. The first time they came forward, Varney made the most of some poor defending to escape Kyle Naughton and Caulker before running into the area and beating Brad Friedel.
The visitors responded with more neat football but they were unable to turn their superior possession into goals.
Ashdown kept out a Tom Huddlestone shot, denied Bale at his near post after the Welshman's fine solo run, then pushed away Dempsey's powerful strike from distance.
But if Tottenham's finishing was unconvincing, things were a good deal worse for them at the other end.
Just before half-time, they failed to deal with a long Leeds ball pumped forward and the ball broke for McCormack who was only denied by a fine block by Friedel.
However, there was no escape when McCormack ran clear again after the break. The Scotland striker turned back inside Caulker, who looked uncertain all game, before slamming a shot into the top corner.
Dempsey missed from six yards moments later but Tottenham were soon back in it when he sent a header looping into the net after clever work by Bale down the left.
That left more than half an hour left for the visitors to find an equaliser but the expected onslaught never materialised.
Spurs poured men forward but could not find a clear sight of goal, and were grateful to Friedel for denying McCormack when he looked to finish off a swift counter-attack.
The only time they got behind the home defence, Lee Peltier got back superbly to deny substitute Obika with a last-ditch challenge.
Friedel went forward to try to salvage a replay deep in injury time but Leeds broke forward instead and Tottenham's disastrous day would have ended with them conceding a third goal had referee Kevin Friend not blown for full-time as Rodolph Austin's long-range shot trundled towards the empty net.
Leeds manager Neil Warnock: "I really enjoyed the match. We didn't get anything other than what we deserved today and we had a few chances as well.
"It was a typical FA Cup game. They were like that when I was a kid.
Tottenham boss Andre Villas-Boas: "We had a good 15 minutes before the goal when we had some good chances, and I think it was important to score early.
"It was difficult as we were always chasing the game and this is a difficult place to play, and we couldn't play our football as well as we could have.
"We wanted to go through in the competition, but we were knocked out by a Leeds team who were extremely competitive today, and you have to give credit to them."
Live text and stats
Sunday, 27 January 2013
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 12 Ashdown
- 02 Peltier
- 04 Lees
- 07 Green
- 08 Austin
- 11 Varney
- 14 White
- 17 Brown yellow card
- 25 Byram
- 21 Diouf yellow card (Pearce 90+1)
- 44 McCormack (Somma 90+2)
- 01 Kenny,
- 05 Pearce,
- 18 Tonge,
- 19 Norris,
- 30 Hall,
- 32 Dawson,
- 28 Somma
- 24 Friedel
- 05 Vertonghen yellow card
- 16 Naughton (Walker 66)
- 32 Assou-Ekotto yellow card
- 33 Caulker
- 02 Dempsey
- 06 Huddlestone (Dembele 59)
- 07 Lennon
- 08 Parker
- 11 Bale
- 22 Sigurdsson (Obika 59)
- Leeds United 44%
- Tottenham 56%
Attempts on target
- Leeds United 4
- Tottenham 13
Attempts off target
- Leeds United 5
- Tottenham 6
- Leeds United 3
- Tottenham 7
- Leeds United 12
- Tottenham 13
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+5:00 The referee signals the end of the game.
- 90:00+4:13 Kyle Walker delivers the ball from the free kick right-footed from right by-line.
- 90:00+4:13 Booking Michael Brown is shown a yellow card.
- 90:00+4:10 Scott Parker fouled by Michael Brown, the ref awards a free kick.
- 90:00+3:53 The ball is sent over by Benoit Assou-Ekotto.
- 90:00+1:58 Substitution Ross McCormack goes off and Davide Somma comes on.
- 90:00+1:28 A cross is delivered by Benoit Assou-Ekotto.
- 89:21 Corner taken short by Kyle Walker.
- 89:21 Substitution Jason Pearce is brought on as a substitute for El-Hadji Diouf.
- 89:21 Jonathan Obika takes a shot. Blocked by Lee Peltier. Corner taken right-footed by Kyle Walker from the left by-line to the near post, clearance made by Tom Lees.
- 88:36 Michael Brown takes the free kick.
- 88:36 Booking Benoit Assou-Ekotto is given a yellow card.
- 88:30 Benoit Assou-Ekotto is penalised for handball and concedes a free kick.
- 87:03 The ball is crossed by Gareth Bale, save by Jamie Ashdown.
- 86:38 Paul Green concedes a free kick for a foul on Jonathan Obika. Benoit Assou-Ekotto restarts play with the free kick.
- 85:47 Short corner taken by El-Hadji Diouf.
- 85:19 Jan Vertonghen challenges El-Hadji Diouf unfairly and gives away a free kick. Ross McCormack takes the direct free kick.
- 83:49 Unfair challenge on El-Hadji Diouf by Scott Parker results in a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Michael Brown.
- 82:58 Shot from 20 yards by Scott Parker. Clearance made by Lee Peltier.
- 80:10 Gareth Bale challenges El-Hadji Diouf unfairly and gives away a free kick. Jamie Ashdown takes the direct free kick.
- 79:28 El-Hadji Diouf delivers the ball from the free kick right-footed from right channel, clearance made by Steven Caulker. Luke Varney gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Scott Parker. Scott Parker takes the free kick.
- 79:28 Booking El-Hadji Diouf receives a caution for time wasting.
- 78:36 Booking Jan Vertonghen shown a yellow card.
- 78:27 Jan Vertonghen concedes a free kick for a foul on Ross McCormack.
- 77:28 Michael Brown gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Scott Parker. Free kick taken by Benoit Assou-Ekotto.
- 75:41 Aaron Lennon challenges Luke Varney unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick taken by Lee Peltier.
- 75:17 Clint Dempsey takes a shot. Tom Lees gets a block in.
- 74:23 Rodolph Austin challenges Scott Parker unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick taken by Benoit Assou-Ekotto.
- 74:00 The ball is crossed by Luke Varney.
- 72:54 Gareth Bale challenges Michael Brown unfairly and gives away a free kick. Jamie Ashdown takes the free kick.
- 72:29 Inswinging corner taken by Kyle Walker, Paul Green manages to make a clearance.
- 72:17 Clint Dempsey takes a shot. Blocked by Tom Lees.
- 71:12 Shot from 12 yards by Ross McCormack. Save by Brad Friedel.
- 70:47 Corner taken by Kyle Walker from the left by-line to the near post, clearance made by Tom Lees.
- 70:22 Shot from 25 yards by Mousa Dembele. Paul Green gets a block in.
- 70:12 Gareth Bale crosses the ball.
- 68:56 Centre by El-Hadji Diouf, clearance made by Benoit Assou-Ekotto.
- 67:48 A cross is delivered by El-Hadji Diouf, clearance made by Jan Vertonghen.
- 66:31 Jan Vertonghen gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on El-Hadji Diouf. El-Hadji Diouf delivers the ball from the free kick right-footed from right wing, clearance made by Steven Caulker.
- 65:38 Substitution Kyle Walker on for Kyle Naughton.
- 64:46 Paul Green concedes a free kick for a foul on Mousa Dembele. Scott Parker takes the direct free kick.
- 63:14 The ball is swung over by Benoit Assou-Ekotto, Tom Lees manages to make a clearance.
- Correction - 61:20 Free kick awarded for a foul by Michael Brown on Scott Parker. Direct free kick taken by Kyle Naughton.
- 61:20 Free kick awarded for a foul by Michael Brown on Scott Parker. Kyle Naughton takes the direct free kick.
- 60:20 Luke Varney fouled by Scott Parker, the ref awards a free kick. Lee Peltier takes the direct free kick.
- 59:27 Scott Parker is penalised for a handball. Jamie Ashdown restarts play with the free kick.
- 58:51 Short corner worked by Gareth Bale.
- 58:22 Substitution Gylfi Sigurdsson leaves the field to be replaced by Jonathan Obika.
- 58:04 Substitution Mousa Dembele is brought on as a substitute for Tom Huddlestone.
- 57:15 Assist on the goal came from Gareth Bale.
- 57:15 GOAL - Clint Dempsey:Leeds United 2 - 1 Tottenham Clint Dempsey finds the net with a headed goal from inside the six-yard box. Leeds 2-1 Tottenham.
- 57:04 The ball is sent over by Gareth Bale,
- 54:58 The referee blows for offside. Tom Huddlestone restarts play with the free kick.
- 54:29 Luke Varney has an effort at goal from just inside the box that misses to the left of the goal.
- 53:26 Close range effort by Clint Dempsey goes wide of the left-hand upright.
- 51:52 The referee blows for offside against Aaron Lennon. Free kick taken by Jamie Ashdown.
- 49:34 Assist by El-Hadji Diouf.
- 49:34 GOAL - Ross McCormack:Leeds United 2 - 0 Tottenham Ross McCormack grabs a goal from deep inside the penalty box to the top left corner of the goal. Leeds 2-0 Tottenham.
- 48:09 A cross is delivered by Aidan White, Brad Friedel makes a save.
- 46:00 Ross McCormack takes a shot. Clearance by Jan Vertonghen.
- 45:21 Corner taken by El-Hadji Diouf played to the near post.
- 45:01 The game restarts for the second half.
- Half Time
- 45:00+2:18 The referee blows for half time.
- 44:37 Ross McCormack takes a shot. Save by Brad Friedel.
- 41:56 Effort on goal by Tom Huddlestone from 25 yards. Blocked by Michael Brown.
- 41:07 Michael Brown fouled by Gylfi Sigurdsson, the ref awards a free kick. Lee Peltier restarts play with the free kick.
- 38:16 Shot by Gylfi Sigurdsson. Save made by Jamie Ashdown.
- 37:32 Michael Brown gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Kyle Naughton. Free kick taken by Kyle Naughton.
- 36:57 Effort from the edge of the box by Ross McCormack goes wide of the left-hand upright.
- 35:20 Gareth Bale challenges Aidan White unfairly and gives away a free kick. Jamie Ashdown takes the free kick.
- 34:43 Scott Parker crosses the ball, Effort from 25 yards by Benoit Assou-Ekotto. Tom Lees gets a block in.
- 34:18 Scott Parker sends in a cross, clearance by Samuel Byram.
- 33:09 Aidan White fouled by Gareth Bale, the ref awards a free kick. Jamie Ashdown takes the free kick.
- 32:19 A cross is delivered by Aaron Lennon, save by Jamie Ashdown.
- 31:35 Foul by Ross McCormack on Jan Vertonghen, free kick awarded. Direct free kick taken by Scott Parker.
- 30:50 Unfair challenge on Benoit Assou-Ekotto by Paul Green results in a free kick. Jan Vertonghen takes the free kick.
- 30:10 Scott Parker produces a right-footed shot from close range that goes over the bar.
- 29:49 Gareth Bale takes a shot. Save by Jamie Ashdown.
- 28:02 Shot by Tom Huddlestone. Save by Jamie Ashdown.
- 25:57 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on El-Hadji Diouf by Scott Parker. El-Hadji Diouf produces a cross, Tom Lees has a headed effort at goal from deep inside the area missing to the left of the target.
- Correction - 25:25 Clint Dempsey takes a shot. Save by Jamie Ashdown.
- 25:25 Clint Dempsey takes a shot. Save made by Jamie Ashdown.
- 24:30 Michael Brown challenges Scott Parker unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick taken by Tom Huddlestone.
- 20:13 A cross is delivered by El-Hadji Diouf, Shot on goal by Luke Varney from just inside the area goes over the target.
- 19:08 Benoit Assou-Ekotto has a shot on goal from long range that goes wide left.
- 17:55 Kyle Naughton sends in a cross, Headed effort from close range by Gylfi Sigurdsson goes wide left of the target.
- 16:02 Benoit Assou-Ekotto challenges Paul Green unfairly and gives away a free kick. Jamie Ashdown takes the free kick.
- 14:13 The assist for the goal came from Michael Brown.
- 14:13 GOAL - Luke Varney:Leeds United 1 - 0 Tottenham Goal scored by Luke Varney from inside the six-yard box to the bottom right corner of the goal. Leeds 1-0 Tottenham.
- 13:13 A cross is delivered by Samuel Byram, Brad Friedel makes a save.
- 10:20 Inswinging corner taken right-footed by Tom Huddlestone, Clint Dempsey has a headed effort from close in and clears the bar.
- 8:58 Paul Green concedes a free kick for a foul on Gareth Bale. The free kick is swung in left-footed by Benoit Assou-Ekotto, Lee Peltier makes a clearance.
- 6:49 Clint Dempsey produces a right-footed shot from the edge of the box and misses to the left of the goal.
- 6:10 Steven Caulker takes a shot. Jamie Ashdown makes a save.
- 5:18 Outswinging corner taken from the right by-line by Tom Huddlestone.
- 3:50 Ross McCormack is ruled offside. Jan Vertonghen takes the indirect free kick.
- 0:41 Inswinging corner taken from the left by-line by El-Hadji Diouf, Brad Friedel makes a save.
- 0:00 The referee starts the match.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
CommentsJump to comments pagination
Comment number 93.djparker79
28th January 2013 - 23:46
Comment number 92.Merlin52
28th January 2013 - 16:18
Comment number 91.wendy
28th January 2013 - 14:23
Comment number 90.ironlung
28th January 2013 - 12:33
Comment number 89.Sparrow
28th January 2013 - 12:03