Stoke 2 - 2 Wigan
Wigan fought back from two goals down to rescue a point at Stoke and move out of the Premier League relegation zone.
Ryan Shawcross's close-range volley gave Stoke the lead, and Peter Crouch poked in a second after Ali Al-Habsi spilled Charlie Adam's shot.
But Wigan hit back, as James McArthur fired in off the post and Franco Di Santo swept in from McArthur's knock-down to equalise.
Stoke were on the back foot from then on, but held on for the draw.
For 50 minutes any result other than a home win looked unlikely, but Wigan manager Roberto Martinez will no doubt be heartened by his side's fightback.
There was a lengthy delay early in the game while Robert Huth had his head bandaged following a clash with Di Santo, but Stoke were soon on the attack.
Jon Walters's shot from 30 yards drew ironic cheers from away fans as it flew well wide of goal, and Adam's low effort from outside the area was just beyond the left upright.
But the home side were deservedly ahead after 23 minutes, even though the goal came in somewhat fortuitous circumstances.
Adam sent a free-kick towards the back post where Jean Beausejour's attempted headed clearance smacked into the back of James McCarthy's head and rebounded into the path of Shawcross, who scored from close range.
Stoke have conceded 15 goals in their past five league games.
Wigan almost responded immediately as Shaun Maloney showed great trickery to get the better of Geoff Cameron, but his teasing cross for James McArthur was cleared.
Stoke also escaped just before the break when Beausejour crossed for McArthur but the ball came in with too much pace and the midfielder's volley flashed wide.
Despite the Latics' occasional bright moments, the hosts generally looked comfortable and the second goal they sought arrived three minutes into the second half. Adam set off on a driving run towards the Wigan area and, with defenders backing off, drilled a low effort that Al-Habsi could only push into the path of Crouch, who sidefooted in from close range.
Stoke had barely finished celebrating, however, when Wigan halved the deficit. Roger Espinoza fed a pass between two defenders and the impressive McArthur raced through before hitting a shot with the outside of his boot that clipped the post on its way in.
The balance of play was now firmly in Wigan's favour and they produced attack after attack.
And they equalised just after the hour when Espinoza clipped the ball towards the back of the area for McArthur, who headed across the face of goal for Di Santo to sweep in from six yards.
The visitors went in pursuit of a third and Stoke keeper Asmir Begovic had to dive at full stretch to keep out a testing effort from the lively McArthur, while the Bosnian was again on hand to deny Shaun Maloney's curled effort.
Maloney's teasing cross behind the defence was poked narrowly wide by Di Santo in stoppage time, but the hosts survived to take a point they just about deserved.
Stoke manager Tony Pulis: "I am disappointed with the goals we conceded. It should never have happened. The people should stay with their runners.
"First half we were OK, we pressed and had the impetus, but after scoring the second goal you think you are going to win it.
"I couldn't see us getting beaten after we went 2-0 up, but we haven't beaten Wigan since 2009 and they seem to be a bit of bogey team for us."
Wigan manager Robert Martinez: "I am very proud of the players' performance. Going two down at one of the toughest places to go and the way we imposed ourselves was a credit for the team.
"We dropped two points and the truth is we can't give two points away. We are looking at the points left to play for and we want to get as many as we can.
"We shouldn't have conceded two goals but I couldn't be prouder of our performance in the second half."
Live text and stats
Tuesday, 29 January 2013
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 01 Begovic
- 02 Cameron
- 04 Huth
- 17 Shawcross
- 06 Whelan
- 15 Nzonzi (Wilkinson 68)
- 16 Adam (Jerome 66)
- 18 Whitehead yellow card
- 26 Etherington
- 19 Walters
- 25 Crouch (Jones 86)
- 26 Al Habsi
- 05 Caldwell
- 17 Boyce (Stam 45+4)
- 25 Golobart
- 31 Figueroa
- 04 McCarthy
- 10 Maloney
- 16 McArthur
- 18 Espinoza yellow card
- 22 Beausejour (McManaman 83)
- 09 Di Santo
- Stoke 45%
- Wigan 55%
Attempts on target
- Stoke 4
- Wigan 6
Attempts off target
- Stoke 5
- Wigan 5
- Stoke 0
- Wigan 1
- Stoke 12
- Wigan 10
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+3:22 The match has reached full-time.
- 90:00+2:04 Foul by Franco Di Santo on Jonathan Walters, free kick awarded. Asmir Begovic takes the free kick.
- 90:00+0:44 Franco Di Santo produces a left-footed shot from close range which goes wide of the left-hand post.
- 86:31 Shaun Maloney takes a shot. Save by Asmir Begovic.
- 85:55 Substitution Peter Crouch goes off and Kenwyne Jones comes on.
- Correction - 82:09 Substitution Callum McManaman on for Jean Beausejour.
- 82:09 Substitution Callum McManaman on for Jean Beausejour.
- 76:37 Shot from inside the six-yard box by Cameron Jerome goes wide right of the goal.
- 76:01 The referee blows for offside. Asmir Begovic takes the free kick.
- 73:08 Shaun Maloney takes a shot. Asmir Begovic makes a save.
- 71:25 Free kick awarded for a foul by Franco Di Santo on Robert Huth. Asmir Begovic takes the direct free kick.
- 70:24 Free kick awarded for a foul by Geoff Cameron on Shaun Maloney. Gary Caldwell takes the direct free kick.
- 66:47 Substitution Andy Wilkinson is brought on as a substitute for Steven Nzonzi.
- 66:47 Maynor Figueroa has an effort at goal from just outside the box which goes wide of the left-hand upright.
- 65:23 Gary Caldwell takes the direct free kick.
- 65:23 Substitution Cameron Jerome replaces Charlie Adam.
- 65:23 Charlie Adam gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on James McArthur.
- 64:18 Charlie Adam fouled by Franco Di Santo, the ref awards a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Charlie Adam.
- 64:05 Jean Beausejour takes a shot. Dean Whitehead gets a block in.
- 63:03 James McArthur takes a shot. Save by Asmir Begovic. Roger Espinoza takes a outswinging corner to the near post, Glenn Whelan makes a clearance.
- 62:29 Shaun Maloney takes the direct free kick.
- 62:29 Booking Booking for Dean Whitehead.
- 62:15 Roger Espinoza fouled by Dean Whitehead, the ref awards a free kick.
- 61:40 Foul by Franco Di Santo on Ryan Shawcross, free kick awarded. Ryan Shawcross takes the direct free kick.
- 60:25 Assist on the goal came from James McArthur.
- 60:25 GOAL - Franco Di Santo:Stoke 2 - 2 Wigan Franco Di Santo finds the net with a goal from the edge of the penalty area to the bottom right corner of the goal. Stoke 2-2 Wigan.
- 60:07 Unfair challenge on James McCarthy by Peter Crouch results in a free kick. Gary Caldwell takes the direct free kick.
- 59:36 The official flags Jean Beausejour offside. Ryan Shawcross takes the indirect free kick.
- 58:25 Glenn Whelan gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Jean Beausejour. Shaun Maloney takes the free kick.
- 55:38 The referee blows for offside. Asmir Begovic restarts play with the free kick.
- 54:05 Roman Golobart concedes a free kick for a foul on Peter Crouch. Charlie Adam produces a shot on goal direct from the free kick.
- 51:19 Unfair challenge on Maynor Figueroa by Glenn Whelan results in a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Gary Caldwell.
- 49:37 Assist by Roger Espinoza.
- 49:37 GOAL - James McArthur:Stoke 2 - 1 Wigan James McArthur scores a goal from inside the penalty box to the top left corner of the goal. Stoke 2-1 Wigan.
- 47:54 The assist for the goal came from Charlie Adam.
- 47:54 GOAL - Peter Crouch:Stoke 2 - 0 Wigan Peter Crouch finds the net with a goal from inside the six-yard box to the bottom right corner of the goal. Stoke 2-0 Wigan.
- 47:52 Charlie Adam takes a shot. Ali Al Habsi makes a save.
- 45:01 The match restarts for the second half.
- Half Time
- 45:00+4:24 The referee blows for half time.
- 45:00+3:24 Substitution Ronnie Stam on for Emmerson Boyce.
- 45:00+2:24 Free kick taken by Glenn Whelan.
- 45:00+2:24 Booking Roger Espinoza shown a yellow card.
- 45:00+2:07 Unfair challenge on Glenn Whelan by Roger Espinoza results in a free kick.
- 45:00+1:22 The assistant referee signals for offside against Jonathan Walters. Indirect free kick taken by Gary Caldwell.
- 43:24 Roger Espinoza challenges Peter Crouch unfairly and gives away a free kick. Dean Whitehead takes the direct free kick.
- 41:56 Free kick awarded for a foul by Charlie Adam on James McCarthy. Free kick taken by Maynor Figueroa.
- 41:07 Effort from inside the area by James McArthur misses to the left of the goal.
- 39:06 Jonathan Walters concedes a free kick for a foul on Jean Beausejour. Maynor Figueroa takes the free kick.
- 37:28 The referee blows for offside against Franco Di Santo. Indirect free kick taken by Ryan Shawcross.
- 36:38 Foul by Charlie Adam on Roman Golobart, free kick awarded. Gary Caldwell takes the free kick.
- 34:52 Charlie Adam has an effort at goal from just outside the box which goes wide of the right-hand upright.
- 31:59 Roger Espinoza concedes a free kick for a foul on Dean Whitehead. The free kick is swung in left-footed by Charlie Adam, blocked by Roger Espinoza.
- 30:57 James McArthur gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Peter Crouch. Direct free kick taken by Glenn Whelan.
- 28:26 Unfair challenge on Roman Golobart by Peter Crouch results in a free kick. Gary Caldwell takes the direct free kick.
- 27:05 Maynor Figueroa has an effort at goal from just outside the box which goes wide of the left-hand post.
- 22:05 The assist for the goal came from Charlie Adam.
- 22:05 GOAL - Ryan Shawcross:Stoke 1 - 0 Wigan Ryan Shawcross gets on the score sheet with a goal from inside the box to the bottom left corner of the goal. Stoke 1-0 Wigan.
- Correction - 21:37 Foul by Roger Espinoza on Glenn Whelan, free kick awarded. Free kick taken by Charlie Adam.
- 21:37 Glenn Whelan fouled by Roger Espinoza, the ref awards a free kick. Free kick taken by Glenn Whelan.
- 21:00 Franco Di Santo takes a shot. Save made by Asmir Begovic.
- 17:13 Glenn Whelan produces a left-footed shot from outside the penalty box and misses right.
- 14:42 Charlie Adam takes a shot. Blocked by Gary Caldwell.
- 11:24 Effort from outside the penalty box by Jonathan Walters goes wide right of the target.
- 9:28 Dean Whitehead challenges Shaun Maloney unfairly and gives away a free kick. Jean Beausejour takes the direct free kick.
- 9:07 The offside flag is raised against Peter Crouch. Ali Al Habsi restarts play with the free kick.
- 1:09 Dean Whitehead concedes a free kick for a foul on Jean Beausejour. Maynor Figueroa takes the free kick.
- 0:00 The match gets underway.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.