Tottenham 2 - 1 Newcastle
Gareth Bale continued his extraordinary scoring run to hand Champions League-chasing Tottenham victory at the expense of Newcastle.
Bale gave Spurs a great start when he fizzed in a free-kick from 25 yards which beat goalkeeper Tim Krul.
Yoan Gouffran equalised midway through the half when his firm shot went in off a slight deflection.
But Bale made it four goals in three league matches when he ran onto Kyle Walker's ball before slotting in.
In fact, he is the only player to have scored for the north London side in those games, underlining his importance and value, both to the team and in monetary terms.
The 23-year-old international - who also scored for Wales against Austria on Wednesday - could have added three more to his tally late in the second half, only to be twice denied by the excellent reflexes of Tim Krul, before showing he is fallible by missing from three yards.
But his manager Andre Villas-Boas and his adoring fans inside a packed White Hart Lane would have forgiven him for that blip. He remains among the league's top scorers with 13 - impressive for a midfielder.
It must have felt like Groundhog Day for Newcastle when Bale scored inside the first five minutes, having conceded at Spurs during the same period last season.
The home side went on to hit Newcastle three more times in that opening 45 minutes, winning 5-0 in the end, but the Magpies are slightly more resolute outfit these days thanks to wise spending in January.
Nevertheless, visiting defender Fabricio Coloccini fouled Clint Dempsey 25 yards from goal on the right. Bale took charge and poked his effort with plenty of dip over the wall, into the bottom right.
Spurs were playing with Dempsey as the lone man in attack, with Bale, Aaron Lennon and new signing Lewis Holtby, making his first start, in support roles.
Germany international Holtby had great stamina and played with a willingness to cover the whole pitch.
But it is as an attacker for which he was purchased by Villas-Boas, and twice he had a chance to score from the fringes of the area with shot that just flew over the wrong side of the bar.
Moments later, another new signing kept his shot low enough to bring the Magpies back into the match.
Gouffran, signed from Bordeaux, was the man to level when Moussa Sissoko pulled the ball back for the forward to smash in via a deflection off the back of Michael Dawson.
The goal settled Newcastle down, with Tottenham not given the sort of space afforded to them in the first quarter of the match.
However, Alan Pardew's side were dealt a blow early after the restart when goalscorer Gouffran was carried off after receiving a nasty gash to his shin.
It seemed to unsettle the visitors as Tottenham attempted to grab a foothold in the match; Bale again leading the charge.
And it was the flying winger who ultimately decided the outcome when he latched onto a hopeful lofted ball from Walker and outpaced Stephen Taylor, before firing his shot past Newcastle's Dutch keeper.
The Magpies came close to snatching a point when substitute Shola Ameobi's strike was deflected wide, but that would have been cruel on Bale and Tottenham, who look a good bet to take a Champions League spot.
Tottenham manager Andre-Villas Boas:
"It was a good win for the team. Newcastle were on a good run of form, so it was always going to be a hard game.
"We stepped it up in the second half and showed team spirit to get three points.
"Both sides had chances. We showed more determination in the second half and took control."
Newcastle manager Alan Pardew:
"Last year we were well beaten, but today we almost nicked an equaliser. Gouffran getting injured was a disappointment, as was the result.
"On this occasion, Bale was the difference. All the big moments came through him. He's in a rich vein of form.
"It was a good game of football. We tried to play and Sissoko produced another great performance."
Live text and stats
Saturday, 9 February 2013
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 25 Lloris
- 16 Naughton (Assou-Ekotto 75)
- 20 Dawson
- 28 Walker
- 33 Caulker
- 02 Dempsey
- 07 Lennon
- 08 Parker
- 11 Bale
- 23 Holtby (Adebayor 69)
- 19 Dembele (Livermore 90+3)
- 01 Krul
- 02 Coloccini
- 03 Santon
- 14 Perch (Tiote 82)
- 26 Debuchy
- 27 S Taylor
- 04 Cabaye yellow card
- 07 Sissoko
- 18 Gutierrez (Sh Ameobi 86 yellow card)
- 09 Cisse
- 11 Gouffran (Marveaux 58)
- Tottenham 51%
- Newcastle 49%
Attempts on target
- Tottenham 9
- Newcastle 7
Attempts off target
- Tottenham 7
- Newcastle 2
- Tottenham 11
- Newcastle 5
- Tottenham 5
- Newcastle 11
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+8:39 The final whistle is blown by the referee.
- 90:00+8:27 Short corner worked by Kyle Walker.
- 90:00+7:49 Short corner taken by Kyle Walker from the right by-line.
- 90:00+7:40 Gareth Bale takes a shot. Save made by Tim Krul.
- 90:00+7:23 Shot by Yohan Cabaye from 20 yards. Blocked by Michael Dawson.
- 90:00+7:01 Cheick Tiote fouled by Emmanuel Adebayor, the ref awards a free kick. Tim Krul takes the free kick.
- 90:00+6:40 Gareth Bale conjures a right-footed shot from inside the six-yard box that clears the bar.
- 90:00+5:42 Kyle Walker restarts play with the free kick.
- 90:00+5:42 Booking The referee shows Shola Ameobi a yellow card.
- 90:00+5:38 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Michael Dawson by Shola Ameobi.
- 90:00+5:07 The official flags Kyle Walker offside. Tim Krul takes the free kick.
- 90:00+4:20 Jake Livermore takes a shot. Shola Ameobi gets a block in.
- Correction - 90:00+3:36 Shola Ameobi takes a shot. Hugo Lloris makes a brilliant save. Inswinging corner taken by Yohan Cabaye from the left by-line, Kyle Walker manages to make a clearance.
- 90:00+3:36 Sylvain Marveaux takes a shot. Hugo Lloris makes a fantastic save. Corner taken right-footed by Yohan Cabaye, clearance by Kyle Walker.
- 90:00+2:11 Kyle Walker delivers the ball, Clint Dempsey has a headed effort at goal from deep inside the area missing to the right of the goal.
- 90:00+2:11 Substitution Jake Livermore on for Mousa Dembele.
- 90:00+2:11 Mousa Dembele fouled by Cheick Tiote, the ref awards a free kick.
- 89:02 Direct free kick taken by Benoit Assou-Ekotto.
- 89:02 Booking Yohan Cabaye goes into the book for unsporting behaviour.
- 88:54 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Mousa Dembele by Yohan Cabaye.
- 87:36 Cheick Tiote concedes a free kick for a foul on Mousa Dembele. Benoit Assou-Ekotto restarts play with the free kick.
- 86:39 Gareth Bale produces a drilled left-footed shot from 20 yards. Brilliant save by Tim Krul. Outswinging corner taken by Gareth Bale from the left by-line, comfortable save by Tim Krul.
- 85:04 Free kick crossed right-footed by Kyle Walker, clearance by Davide Santon.
- 85:04 Substitution Shola Ameobi joins the action as a substitute, replacing Jonas Gutierrez.
- 85:04 Free kick awarded for a foul by Yohan Cabaye on Emmanuel Adebayor.
- 83:42 Sylvain Marveaux crosses the ball, clearance made by Kyle Walker.
- 82:57 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Scott Parker by Papiss Cisse. Hugo Lloris takes the free kick.
- 81:06 Substitution Cheick Tiote joins the action as a substitute, replacing James Perch.
- 80:24 Gareth Bale takes the inswinging corner, Headed effort from close range by Steven Caulker goes wide left of the target.
- Correction - 77:44 GOAL - Gareth Bale:Tottenham 2 - 1 Newcastle Gareth Bale finds the back of the net with a goal from inside the penalty box low into the middle of the goal. Tottenham 2-1 Newcastle.
- 77:44 The assist for the goal came from Scott Parker.
- 77:44 GOAL - Gareth Bale:Tottenham 2 - 1 Newcastle Gareth Bale scores a goal from inside the penalty box low into the middle of the goal. Tottenham 2-1 Newcastle.
- Correction - 76:48 Mathieu Debuchy fouled by Mousa Dembele, the ref awards a free kick. Tim Krul takes the direct free kick.
- 76:48 Foul by Mousa Dembele on Mathieu Debuchy, free kick awarded. Tim Krul takes the free kick.
- 75:37 Shot by Yohan Cabaye from a long way out goes over the net.
- Correction - 74:52 Drilled right-footed shot by Gareth Bale. Blocked by Steven Taylor.
- 74:52 Shot by Gareth Bale. Fabricio Coloccini gets a block in.
- 74:10 Substitution Benoit Assou-Ekotto is brought on as a substitute for Kyle Naughton.
- 70:53 Mousa Dembele challenges Papiss Cisse unfairly and gives away a free kick. Yohan Cabaye crosses the ball from the free kick right-footed from right wing, Michael Dawson makes a clearance.
- 69:55 Drilled left-footed shot by James Perch. Blocked by Steven Caulker.
- 68:21 Substitution Emmanuel Adebayor on for Lewis Holtby.
- Correction - 67:20 Clint Dempsey is adjudged to have handled the ball. Tim Krul takes the direct free kick.
- 67:20 Handball decision goes against Clint Dempsey. Direct free kick taken by Tim Krul.
- 65:46 The ball is sent over by Mathieu Debuchy, Kyle Walker makes a clearance.
- 64:16 Corner taken right-footed by Kyle Walker from the left by-line, comfortable save by Tim Krul.
- 63:48 Corner taken left-footed by Gareth Bale to the near post, Jonas Gutierrez makes a clearance.
- Correction - 63:10 Corner taken by Gareth Bale from the left by-line.
- 63:10 Outswinging corner taken from the left by-line by Gareth Bale.
- 57:53 Substitution Sylvain Marveaux joins the action as a substitute, replacing Yoan Gouffran.
- Correction - 53:18 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Scott Parker by Moussa Sissoko. Scott Parker takes the direct free kick.
- 53:18 Free kick awarded for a foul by Jonas Gutierrez on Scott Parker. Scott Parker restarts play with the free kick.
- 52:41 Clint Dempsey takes a shot. Tim Krul makes a comfortable save.
- 51:11 Shot by Steven Taylor from 20 yards. Hugo Lloris makes a comfortable save.
- 50:26 Corner taken by Yohan Cabaye from the right by-line, clearance by Gareth Bale.
- 49:43 Gareth Bale produces a cross, clearance by Davide Santon.
- 48:04 Foul by Scott Parker on Jonas Gutierrez, free kick awarded. James Perch takes the free kick.
- 46:16 The ball is swung over by Aaron Lennon, clearance made by James Perch.
- 45:31 Yoan Gouffran crosses the ball, Michael Dawson manages to make a clearance.
- 45:01 The second half begins.
- Half Time
- 45:00+0:59 The ref blows to end the first period.
- 45:00+0:24 Free kick awarded for a foul by Yoan Gouffran on Scott Parker. Aaron Lennon takes the direct free kick.
- 45:00+0:08 Centre by Jonas Gutierrez, Michael Dawson makes a clearance.
- 43:53 Effort from outside the box by Clint Dempsey goes wide right of the target.
- 41:55 Corner from the right by-line taken by Lewis Holtby, clearance made by Steven Taylor.
- 40:25 Clint Dempsey takes a shot from 25 yards. Blocked by Steven Taylor. Kyle Walker takes a inswinging corner to the near post, clearance by Yohan Cabaye.
- 37:57 Clint Dempsey is ruled offside. Tim Krul takes the indirect free kick.
- 35:26 Corner from left by-line taken by Yohan Cabaye.
- 35:14 Shot by Yohan Cabaye. Blocked by Michael Dawson.
- 35:08 Davide Santon sends in a cross, Kyle Walker manages to make a clearance.
- 31:18 Scott Parker delivers the ball, clearance by Fabricio Coloccini.
- 30:08 Inswinging corner taken from the left by-line by Kyle Walker.
- 28:26 Mathieu Debuchy is flagged offside by the assistant referee. Kyle Naughton takes the free kick.
- 26:50 Gareth Bale challenges Jonas Gutierrez unfairly and gives away a free kick. Tim Krul restarts play with the free kick.
- 26:12 Gareth Bale takes a shot. Steven Taylor gets a block in.
- 25:14 Inswinging corner taken from the right by-line by Lewis Holtby, Fabricio Coloccini makes a clearance.
- Correction - 23:44 The assist for the goal came from Moussa Sissoko.
- 23:44 The assist for the goal came from Papiss Cisse.
- 23:44 GOAL - Yoan Gouffran:Tottenham 1 - 1 Newcastle Yoan Gouffran scores a goal from deep inside the penalty box to the top right corner of the goal. Tottenham 1-1 Newcastle.
- 22:10 The assistant referee signals for offside against Papiss Cisse. Hugo Lloris takes the indirect free kick.
- 21:50 Shot by Yohan Cabaye from 20 yards. Blocked by Scott Parker.
- 20:38 Centre by Mathieu Debuchy, Michael Dawson makes a clearance.
- 19:48 Effort on goal by Lewis Holtby from just inside the box goes harmlessly over the target.
- 19:00 The ball is delivered by Fabricio Coloccini, Header from close in by Papiss Cisse misses to the left of the target.
- 16:32 Lewis Holtby has an effort at goal from just outside the box which goes wide of the left-hand post.
- 15:08 Corner taken by Yohan Cabaye from the right by-line, clearance by Kyle Walker.
- 14:10 The referee blows for offside against Gareth Bale. Indirect free kick taken by Jonas Gutierrez.
- 13:03 Steven Taylor concedes a free kick for a foul on Mousa Dembele. Free kick crossed left-footed by Mousa Dembele, clearance made by Fabricio Coloccini.
- 10:29 Inswinging corner taken from the left by-line by Yohan Cabaye, clearance made by Gareth Bale.
- Correction - 9:17 Effort on goal by Lewis Holtby from just inside the penalty box goes harmlessly over the target.
- 9:17 Lewis Holtby takes a shot from just inside the penalty box which clears the bar.
- 6:15 Gareth Bale is caught offside. Indirect free kick taken by Tim Krul.
- 4:32 Assist by Clint Dempsey.
- 4:32 GOAL - Gareth Bale:Tottenham 1 - 0 Newcastle Gareth Bale scores a goal direct from the free kick from outside the penalty area to the bottom right corner of the goal. Tottenham 1-0 Newcastle.
- 3:24 Free kick awarded for a foul by Fabricio Coloccini on Clint Dempsey.
- 2:06 Free kick awarded for a foul by Yoan Gouffran on Scott Parker. Michael Dawson restarts play with the free kick.
- 1:16 The ball is crossed by Gareth Bale, clearance by Davide Santon.
- 0:00 The ref blows the whistle to begin the match.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
CommentsJump to comments pagination
Comment number 123.AmigaMan
11th February 2013 - 13:32
Comment number 122.AmigaMan
11th February 2013 - 13:21
Comment number 121.tomasovi
10th February 2013 - 23:40
Comment number 120.mikehooperscontactlens
10th February 2013 - 16:02
Comment number 119.TC
10th February 2013 - 15:15