Celtic 0 - 3 Juventus
Celtic were given a harsh lesson in Champions League knockout football by the old masters of Juventus.
Brimming with confidence on the back of some tremendous European performances and results, Neil Lennon's Celtic were picked off ruthlessly.
Alessando Matri put the Italian side ahead in the opening moments, taking advantage of poor defending.
Two late goals from Claudio Marchisio and Mirko Vucinic ensured the return leg will surely be a formality.
Celtic in Turin
- September 1981 - Juventus 2-0 Celtic
- September 2001 - Juventus 3-2 Celtic
Celtic were unable to lift themselves to the heights of the wins over Barcelona and Spartak Moscow in the group stage, although despite conceding an early goal they were dominant for large periods of the last-16 tie.
And as the match moved into its latter stages it was the Scottish team who looked most likely to score again before Juve twice more picked off their tiring opponents to take a firm grip on the contest.
Celtic midfielder Victor Wanyama sent a blistering shot goalwards with only a minute played, which Gigi Buffon turned round the post, as the Scottish side looked to capitalise on their passionate home support.
But with just three minutes gone a straight-forward looking long ball from Federico Peluso exposed the home side's defensive frailties.
Efe Ambrose - straight back in the team after featuring in Nigeria's Africa Cup of Nations success on Sunday - was caught underneath the ball and Matri was able to nudge him aside to slide it through Fraser Forster's legs and over the line, despite Kelvin Wilson's efforts to keep it out.
Celtic's response was to pepper Buffon's goal with shots from outside the box, with the Italian dealing well with efforts by Wanyama and Kris Commons, who also sent a wonderful overhead kick narrowly wide.
But for all their pressure, Celtic did little to truly threaten the Italian goal, while the crowd grew restless as a result of the referee's perceived unwillingness to give decisions in their side's favour, with grappling in the penalty area rarely punished.
Milestones for Juve
- Mirko Vucinic scored Juventus' 700th goal in Europe
- Juventus equalled their biggest away win in the knock-out phase, after a 4-1 win at Dynamo Kyiv in March 1998
Juve, for their part, looked happy to soak up what Celtic had to throw at them and play on the counter-attack.
The home team's first clear view of goal came with more than an hour on the clock, but when it did materialise it should have brought about the equaliser.
Charlie Mulgrew's curling cross provided Ambrose with the ideal opportunity to atone for his earlier misjudgement, but his header was weak and straight at Buffon.
Celtic were then taught a lesson in incisive football when they fell further behind.
The deftest of touches by Matri found Marchisio, who twisted in from the left of the penalty area to stroke the ball beyond Forster.
Marchisio was heavily involved as Juventus effectively killed the tie with a third goal, putting the ball on a plate for Vucinic to beat the keeper from close range after Ambrose was again at fault and caught in possession.
Juventus sparkled only in flashes, but they did so brightly enough to record an ultimately commanding victory, with Celtic now heading to Turin looking to retain the respect already attained on this season's run.
Live text and stats
Tuesday, 12 February 2013
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 01 Forster
- 03 Izaguirre
- 04 Ambrose
- 06 Wilson
- 21 Mulgrew
- 23 Lustig (Matthews 58)
- 08 Brown yellow card (Kayal 80)
- 15 Commons (Watt 73)
- 49 Forrest yellow card
- 67 Wanyama
- 88 Hooper yellow card
- 24 Zaluska,
- 02 Matthews,
- 16 Ledley,
- 33 Kayal,
- 07 Miku,
- 11 Nouioui,
- 32 Watt
- 01 Buffon
- 04 Caceres
- 13 Federico Peluso (Padoin 69 yellow card)
- 15 Barzagli
- 19 Bonucci
- 26 Lichtsteiner yellow card
- 08 Marchisio yellow card
- 21 Pirlo
- 23 Vidal
- 09 Vucinic (Anelka 85)
- 32 Matri (Pogba 80)
- 30 Storari,
- 06 Pogba,
- 12 Giovinco,
- 20 Padoin,
- 39 Marrone,
- 18 Anelka,
- 27 Quagliarella
- Celtic 53%
- Juventus 47%
Attempts on target
- Celtic 8
- Juventus 6
Attempts off target
- Celtic 6
- Juventus 2
- Celtic 10
- Juventus 4
- Celtic 12
- Juventus 11
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+3:05 The referee blows for the end of the match.
- 89:54 Victor Wanyama challenges Leonardo Bonucci unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick taken by Leonardo Bonucci.
- 88:39 Efe Ambrose takes the free kick.
- 88:39 Booking Claudio Marchisio receives a caution.
- 88:36 Claudio Marchisio gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Victor Wanyama.
- 87:20 Paul Pogba concedes a free kick for a foul on Victor Wanyama. Direct effort from the free kick comes in from Charlie Mulgrew, save by Fraser Forster.
- 85:47 Short corner taken by Claudio Marchisio from the left by-line.
- 84:55 Substitution Nicolas Anelka comes on in place of Mirko Vucinic.
- 82:07 Assist by Claudio Marchisio.
- 82:07 GOAL - Mirko Vucinic:Celtic 0 - 3 Juventus Mirko Vucinic finds the back of the net with a goal from deep inside the penalty box to the bottom right corner of the goal. Celtic 0-3 Juventus.
- 80:55 Efe Ambrose fouled by Mirko Vucinic, the ref awards a free kick. Efe Ambrose takes the direct free kick.
- 79:52 Substitution Paul Pogba joins the action as a substitute, replacing Alessandro Matri.
- 79:36 Substitution (Celtic) makes a substitution, with Beram Kayal coming on for Scott Brown.
- 78:47 Centre by Emilio Izaguirre, save by Gianluigi Buffon.
- 76:36 Alessandro Matri provided the assist for the goal.
- 76:36 GOAL - Claudio Marchisio:Celtic 0 - 2 Juventus Goal scored by Claudio Marchisio from inside the penalty area to the top left corner of the goal. Celtic 0-2 Juventus.
- 75:29 Corner taken by Charlie Mulgrew from the right by-line, save made by Gianluigi Buffon.
- 75:29 Booking Simone Padoin goes into the referee's book for unsporting behaviour.
- 75:17 Booking Scott Brown is cautioned by the ref for unsporting behaviour.
- 74:22 Outswinging corner taken from the left by-line by Charlie Mulgrew.
- 72:42 Substitution Kris Commons leaves the field to be replaced by Tony Watt.
- 71:44 Corner taken by Andrea Pirlo.
- 70:23 Charlie Mulgrew takes the inswinging corner, Gianluigi Buffon makes a save.
- 69:35 Kris Commons takes a inswinging corner from the right by-line to the near post, Andrea Barzagli manages to make a clearance.
- 68:49 Substitution Federico Peluso leaves the field to be replaced by Simone Padoin.
- 66:14 Mirko Vucinic takes a shot. Blocked by Kelvin Wilson.
- 64:21 Federico Peluso fouled by Scott Brown, the ref awards a free kick. Claudio Marchisio takes the direct free kick.
- 63:23 Stephan Lichtsteiner is ruled offside. Free kick taken by Fraser Forster.
- 62:53 The ball is delivered by Scott Brown, Andrea Barzagli makes a clearance.
- 62:01 Charlie Mulgrew sends in a cross, Efe Ambrose takes a shot. Save by Gianluigi Buffon.
- 61:45 Kris Commons decides to take a short corner.
- 60:30 Claudio Marchisio is flagged offside by the assistant referee. Fraser Forster restarts play with the free kick.
- 59:41 The assistant referee signals for offside against Alessandro Matri. Fraser Forster takes the free kick.
- 57:54 Substitution Adam Matthews replaces Mikael Lustig.
- 56:00 Unfair challenge on Kris Commons by Claudio Marchisio results in a free kick. Victor Wanyama takes the direct free kick.
- 54:41 Centre by James Forrest, Leonardo Bonucci manages to make a clearance.
- 50:22 Leonardo Bonucci challenges Kris Commons unfairly and gives away a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Efe Ambrose.
- 49:33 Charlie Mulgrew challenges Stephan Lichtsteiner unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick taken by Stephan Lichtsteiner.
- 45:41 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Emilio Izaguirre by Arturo Vidal. Charlie Mulgrew takes the direct free kick.
- 45:30 Mikael Lustig delivers the ball, save by Gianluigi Buffon.
- 45:01 The game restarts for the second half.
- Half Time
- 45:00+1:11 The half-time whistle blows.
- 45:00+1:01 The ball is sent over by Kris Commons, clearance by Andrea Pirlo.
- 45:00+0:37 Mikael Lustig fouled by Alessandro Matri, the ref awards a free kick. Kris Commons takes the direct free kick.
- 44:35 Kris Commons decides to take a short corner.
- 43:35 Arturo Vidal takes a shot. Victor Wanyama gets a block in. Stephan Lichtsteiner takes a shot. Fraser Forster makes a comfortable save.
- 43:19 Short corner taken by Andrea Pirlo from the left by-line.
- 42:16 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Alessandro Matri by Kelvin Wilson. Free kick taken by Andrea Pirlo.
- 41:27 Leonardo Bonucci takes the direct free kick.
- 41:27 Booking James Forrest goes into the referee's book.
- 41:22 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Andrea Pirlo by James Forrest.
- 41:00 Gary Hooper concedes a free kick for a foul on Andrea Barzagli. Direct free kick taken by Gianluigi Buffon.
- 40:22 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Kelvin Wilson by Mirko Vucinic. Fraser Forster takes the free kick.
- 39:47 Kris Commons takes a shot. Gianluigi Buffon makes a save.
- 39:32 A cross is delivered by Emilio Izaguirre, clearance by Martin Caceres.
- 38:11 Stephan Lichtsteiner delivers the ball, Efe Ambrose manages to make a clearance.
- 37:24 Outswinging corner taken by Kris Commons, Victor Wanyama has a header from deep inside the six-yard box and clears the crossbar.
- 36:16 Inswinging corner taken by Kris Commons, clearance made by Martin Caceres.
- 36:16 Booking The referee books Stephan Lichtsteiner for unsporting behaviour.
- 36:11 Booking Gary Hooper is cautioned.
- 34:59 The ball is crossed by Mikael Lustig, clearance by Martin Caceres.
- 34:21 Victor Wanyama challenges Arturo Vidal unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick taken by Leonardo Bonucci.
- 33:30 Efe Ambrose gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Mirko Vucinic. Free kick taken by Andrea Pirlo.
- 32:58 The official flags Alessandro Matri offside. Free kick taken by Kelvin Wilson.
- 29:58 Corner from left by-line taken by Andrea Pirlo.
- 27:52 Alessandro Matri is caught offside. Mikael Lustig takes the indirect free kick.
- 27:02 The ball is crossed by Mikael Lustig, Shot by Kris Commons from deep inside the penalty area misses wide to the left of the target.
- 25:23 The ball is delivered by Mikael Lustig, Andrea Barzagli manages to make a clearance.
- 24:32 The ball is sent over by Mirko Vucinic, Efe Ambrose manages to make a clearance.
- 23:42 Victor Wanyama takes a shot and missed to the right of the net.
- 22:45 Scott Brown concedes a free kick for a foul on Andrea Pirlo. Direct free kick taken by Andrea Barzagli.
- 22:07 Kris Commons takes a shot. Comfortable save by Gianluigi Buffon.
- 21:26 Victor Wanyama gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Mirko Vucinic. Direct free kick taken by Martin Caceres.
- 15:28 Free kick awarded for a foul by Federico Peluso on Kris Commons. Kris Commons delivers the ball from the free kick left-footed from right by-line, Gianluigi Buffon makes a save.
- 14:33 Emilio Izaguirre sends in a cross, Kris Commons produces a left-footed shot from inside the area that clears the bar.
- 13:59 Gary Hooper fouled by Martin Caceres, the ref awards a free kick. Free kick taken by Mikael Lustig.
- 12:55 Arturo Vidal challenges Scott Brown unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick taken by Victor Wanyama.
- 12:25 Foul by Emilio Izaguirre on Stephan Lichtsteiner, free kick awarded. Andrea Pirlo restarts play with the free kick.
- 10:57 Outswinging corner taken left-footed by Kris Commons, Charlie Mulgrew takes a shot. Gianluigi Buffon makes a comfortable save.
- 9:32 Shot by Kris Commons. Fantastic save by Gianluigi Buffon.
- 8:52 Charlie Mulgrew has an effort at goal from just outside the area which goes wide of the left-hand post.
- 7:45 Close range strike by Claudio Marchisio goes over the bar.
- 5:53 Gary Hooper gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Martin Caceres. Leonardo Bonucci takes the free kick.
- 5:13 The ball is swung over by Emilio Izaguirre, clearance by Andrea Barzagli. Victor Wanyama has an effort at goal from 20 yards. Save by Gianluigi Buffon.
- Correction - 2:45 Assist on the goal came from Federico Peluso.
- 2:45 GOAL - Alessandro Matri:Celtic 0 - 1 Juventus Alessandro Matri scores a goal from inside the penalty box low into the middle of the goal. Celtic 0-1 Juventus.
- 1:46 Shot from just outside the penalty box by Efe Ambrose misses to the left of the target.
- 1:04 Victor Wanyama takes a shot. Gianluigi Buffon makes a save. Inswinging corner taken left-footed by Kris Commons from the right by-line, clearance by Stephan Lichtsteiner.
- 0:00 The ref blows the whistle to start the match.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.