Shakhtar Donetsk 2-2 Borussia Dortmund
Mats Hummels' header earned Borussia Dortmund a draw with two away goals in the first leg of their Champions League last-16 tie against Shakhtar Donetsk.
The Ukrainians led twice, first through Darijo Srna's fierce free-kick and then Douglas Costa's neat control and finish, but could not earn the win.
Striker Robert Lewandowski capitalised from Mario Goetze's cross to peg Shakhtar back just before the break.
And Hummels stooped to level as Shakhtar's defence dozed late on.
The Germans just about earned parity in the tie and will be favourites to progress in a competition that has become their priority - as the domestic title that they have held for two years appears to be slipping away to runaway leaders Bayern Munich.
|Shakhtar Donetsk||Borussia Dortmund|
Distance covered (m)
Pass completion rate (%)
Delivery/ solo runs into attacking third
The mid-season break meant that their opponents had not played a competitive match since their final Champions League group game against Juventus on 5 December, but it was Shakhtar who were into their stride first.
Srna, who had escaped censure for levering Lewandowski off the ball in the penalty area at the opposite end, heaped punishment on Felipe Santana for his rash barge on Luiz Adriano 30 yards from goal.
The Croatian's dipping effort from the resulting free-kick comprehensively beat Roman Weidenfeller.
The visitors were staggered and Marcel Schmelzer was forced into a hurried headed clearance as a clutch of Shakhtar attackers surged forward in search of a swift second.
The Germans held firm, though, and Lewandowski capitalised when he worked his way into a pocket of space in the penalty area and finished coolly after his air kick deceived Dmytro Chygrynskiy and Fernandinho.
Taison, signed in January for an estimated £12m from Metalist Kharkiv to replace the Anzhi Makhachkala-bound Willian, had ruffled the Dortmund defence by running at them.
With the visitors apparently content to draw the sting out of the game with long periods of possession after the break, it was a surprise when his competitive debut was brought to an early end on the hour.
His replacement Douglas Costa, however, took up from where his fellow Brazilian left off.
A long punt upfield from Tomas Hubschman should have posed no problems but once Hummels got caught underneath it and Schmelzer backed off, Costa produced two exquisite touches - first killing the dropping ball, the second sweeping home - to convert.
Lewandowski and Goetze looked the most likely combination to unlock the Shakhtar rearguard once more, with the Polish striker burying a volley in the advertising hoardings rather than the net from his German team-mate's cross.
But with Dortmund looking to be out of ideas, the hosts' concentration slipped.
Hummels, who had hit the bar with a header in the first half, did not have to leave the ground to direct a corner past a rooted Andriy Pyatov and swing the tie, perhaps decisively, his side's way.
Live text and stats
Wednesday, 13 February 2013
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
|Shakhtar Donetsk||2-2||Borussia Dortmund||FT|
- 30 Pyatov
- 03 Hubschman
- 26 Rat
- 27 Chigrinsky
- 44 Rakitskiy
- 07 Fernandinho yellow card
- 33 Srna
- 09 Luiz Adriano
- 22 Mkhitaryan
- 28 Taison (Douglas Costa 62)
- 29 Alex Teixeira (Eduardo 83)
- 32 Kanibolitskiy,
- 13 Shevchuk,
- 23 Ischenko,
- 06 Stepanenko,
- 20 Douglas Costa,
- 11 Eduardo,
- 18 Devic
- 01 Weidenfeller
- 15 Hummels
- 26 Piszczek
- 27 Felipe Santana
- 29 Schmelzer
- 05 Kehl
- 06 Bender
- 16 Blaszczykowski (Leitner 80)
- 09 Lewandowski
- 10 Goetze
- 11 Reus (Schieber 90+1)
- 20 Langerak,
- 04 Subotic,
- 37 Halstenberg,
- 07 Leitner,
- 18 Sahin,
- 32 Bittencourt,
- 23 Schieber
- Shakhtar Donetsk 49%
- Borussia Dortmund 51%
Attempts on target
- Shakhtar Donetsk 5
- Borussia Dortmund 10
Attempts off target
- Shakhtar Donetsk 3
- Borussia Dortmund 5
- Shakhtar Donetsk 4
- Borussia Dortmund 6
- Shakhtar Donetsk 8
- Borussia Dortmund 16
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+3:31 The referee brings the game to a close.
- 90:00+2:54 Moritz Leitner gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Luis Fernandinho. Direct free kick taken by Darijo Srna.
- 90:00+0:46 Substitution Julian Schieber replaces Marco Reus.
- 86:39 Assist on the goal came from Marcel Schmelzer.
- 86:39 GOAL - Mats Hummels:Shakhtar Donetsk 2 - 2 Borussia Dortmund Mats Hummels finds the net with a headed goal from inside the box. Shakhtar Donetsk 2-2 Borussia Dortmund.
- 86:35 Outswinging corner taken left-footed by Marcel Schmelzer from the left by-line,
- 85:47 Corner from right by-line taken by Marco Reus.
- 82:58 Substitution Da Silva Eduardo on for Santos Alex Teixeira.
- 81:30 Short corner worked by Marcel Schmelzer.
- 79:29 Substitution Moritz Leitner is brought on as a substitute for Jakub Blaszczykowski.
- 75:34 Luis Fernandinho fouled by Jakub Blaszczykowski, the ref awards a free kick. Direct strike on goal from the free kick comes in from Yaroslav Rakitskiy.
- 74:57 Sebastian Kehl takes a shot. Yaroslav Rakitskiy gets a block in.
- 73:37 Corner taken right-footed by Marco Reus.
- 72:32 Effort from inside the area by Robert Lewandowski misses to the right of the target.
- 71:51 Foul by Marco Reus on Darijo Srna, free kick awarded. Darijo Srna takes the free kick.
- 71:36 Unfair challenge on Tomas Hubschman by Robert Lewandowski results in a free kick. Free kick taken by Tomas Hubschman.
- 71:10 Luis Fernandinho gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Marco Reus. Mario Gotze restarts play with the free kick.
- 69:06 Free kick taken by Sven Bender.
- 69:06 Booking Luis Fernandinho booked.
- 69:06 Unfair challenge on Sven Bender by Luis Fernandinho results in a free kick.
- 67:35 The assist for the goal came from Dimitro Chygrynskiy.
- 67:35 GOAL - de Souza Douglas Costa:Shakhtar Donetsk 2 - 1 Borussia Dortmund Goal scored by de Souza Douglas Costa from just inside the area to the bottom right corner of the goal. Shakhtar Donetsk 2-1 Borussia Dortmund.
- 66:51 Marco Reus gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Darijo Srna. Free kick taken by Andrei Pyatov.
- 66:13 Inswinging corner taken left-footed by Marcel Schmelzer from the right by-line.
- 63:03 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Henrikh Mkhitaryan by Sven Bender. Direct free kick taken by Darijo Srna.
- 61:56 Foul by de Souza Douglas Costa on Robert Lewandowski, free kick awarded. Direct free kick taken by Mats Hummels.
- 60:59 Free kick taken by Marco Reus.
- 60:59 Substitution De Souza Douglas Costa on for Freda Taison.
- 60:59 Henrikh Mkhitaryan is penalised for a handball.
- 53:17 Shot by Robert Lewandowski. Save by Andrei Pyatov.
- 51:57 Henrikh Mkhitaryan takes a shot. Blocked by Augusto Felipe Santana.
- 49:37 Da Silva Luiz Adriano concedes a free kick for a foul on Sven Bender. Sven Bender restarts play with the free kick.
- 46:15 Marco Reus takes a shot. Darijo Srna gets a block in.
- 45:01 The second half kicks off.
- Half Time
- 45:00+1:04 The half-time whistle blows.
- 45:00+0:28 Marcel Schmelzer concedes a free kick for a foul on Henrikh Mkhitaryan. Dimitro Chygrynskiy takes the free kick.
- 44:12 Freda Taison takes a shot. Save by Roman Weidenfeller. Santos Alex Teixeira takes a shot. Marcel Schmelzer gets a block in.
- 43:33 Yaroslav Rakitskiy fouled by Robert Lewandowski, the ref awards a free kick. Andrei Pyatov takes the direct free kick.
- 40:52 Mario Gotze provided the assist for the goal.
- 40:52 GOAL - Robert Lewandowski:Shakhtar Donetsk 1 - 1 Borussia Dortmund Robert Lewandowski grabs a goal from inside the area to the bottom right corner of the goal. Shakhtar Donetsk 1-1 Borussia Dortmund.
- 40:44 Mario Gotze sends in a cross, clearance made by Dimitro Chygrynskiy.
- 39:22 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Yaroslav Rakitskiy by Marco Reus. Yaroslav Rakitskiy restarts play with the free kick.
- 38:07 Jakub Blaszczykowski produces a right-footed shot from the edge of the box and misses to the left of the target.
- 36:38 Foul by Dimitro Chygrynskiy on Mario Gotze, free kick awarded. Free kick crossed by Marcel Schmelzer, clearance made by Razvan Rat.
- 34:44 Jakub Blaszczykowski takes a shot. Save made by Andrei Pyatov.
- 32:19 Darijo Srna takes a outswinging corner.
- 31:59 Centre by Freda Taison, blocked by Augusto Felipe Santana.
- 30:24 GOAL - Darijo Srna:Shakhtar Donetsk 1 - 0 Borussia Dortmund Darijo Srna scores a goal direct from the free kick from just outside the penalty box high into the middle of the goal. Shakhtar Donetsk 1-0 Borussia Dortmund.
- 29:35 Free kick awarded for a foul by Augusto Felipe Santana on da Silva Luiz Adriano.
- 29:17 Free kick awarded for a foul by Sebastian Kehl on Luis Fernandinho. Luis Fernandinho restarts play with the free kick.
- 28:23 Mats Hummels takes a shot. Save made by Andrei Pyatov.
- 27:29 Luis Fernandinho takes a shot from just outside the penalty area clears the crossbar.
- 26:01 Darijo Srna takes a outswinging corner from the right by-line played to the near post.
- 25:42 Effort from outside the penalty box by Henrikh Mkhitaryan goes wide right of the target.
- 24:59 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Freda Taison by Lukasz Piszczek. Direct free kick taken by Freda Taison.
- 23:31 Robert Lewandowski concedes a free kick for a foul on Santos Alex Teixeira. Darijo Srna takes the direct free kick.
- 23:06 Outswinging corner taken by Darijo Srna, Augusto Felipe Santana makes a clearance.
- 18:50 Marco Reus takes a shot from 25 yards. Save by Andrei Pyatov.
- 17:28 Jakub Blaszczykowski takes a shot. Blocked by Yaroslav Rakitskiy.
- 16:12 Inswinging corner taken right-footed by Marco Reus, Mats Hummels takes a shot.
- 14:48 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Jakub Blaszczykowski by Freda Taison. Roman Weidenfeller restarts play with the free kick.
- 14:29 Freda Taison takes a short corner.
- 11:16 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Marco Reus by Yaroslav Rakitskiy. Marco Reus produces a shot on goal direct from the free kick, save made by Andrei Pyatov.
- 10:05 The offside flag is raised against Santos Alex Teixeira. Roman Weidenfeller takes the indirect free kick.
- 9:10 Mario Gotze produces a cross, Robert Lewandowski concedes a free kick for a foul on Yaroslav Rakitskiy. Andrei Pyatov restarts play with the free kick.
- 8:33 The referee blows for offside. Indirect free kick taken by Roman Weidenfeller.
- 7:37 Jakub Blaszczykowski has an effort at goal from deep inside the area missing to the left of the target.
- 6:34 Luis Fernandinho fouled by Sebastian Kehl, the ref awards a free kick. Luis Fernandinho restarts play with the free kick.
- 4:24 Yaroslav Rakitskiy gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Robert Lewandowski. Free kick crossed left-footed by Marcel Schmelzer. Shot by Jakub Blaszczykowski from deep inside the penalty area misses to the right of the target.
- 2:50 Henrikh Mkhitaryan fouled by Sebastian Kehl, the ref awards a free kick. Free kick taken by Tomas Hubschman.
- 1:43 Centre by Santos Alex Teixeira.
- 0:00 The referee gets the game underway.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.