St Mirren 0 - 1 Hibernian
Leigh Griffiths lit up a match otherwise dripping with mediocrity, deservedly notching the only goal.
The Hibs striker nonchalantly tucked a penalty past Craig Samson after Jim Goodwin was penalised for a push on Matt Done.
He might have been on the scoresheet previously, but the post denied him a wonderful solo goal.
St Mirren managed to force Ben Williams into action just once, to block an Esmael Goncalves shot.
Goncalves was St Mirren's most potent threat, but had little help from his team-mates who looked off the pace throughout.
Hibs weren't great either, but, in Griffiths and Paul Cairney, possessed sufficient quality to claim victory.
A really turgid opening quarter to the match was almost banished from the memory by a phenomenal piece of skill from Griffiths.
Bringing the ball under control with a perfect first touch on the right wing, he glided past two challenges, nutmegging Goodwin, before unleashing a ferocious drive from the edge of the box.
But, though it had the beating of Samson, the striker watched agonisingly as the ball rebounded back into play off the post.
St Mirren's first real chance fell to Paul Dummett, but his back-post header drifted across the face of goal.
Goncalves did his best to lift his side and almost forced a goal just before half-time with a powerful run and shot, but Williams, with virtually his first touch, was able to push the ball away.
Hibs' greater attacking threat continued at the start of the second period, with Done's cross begging to be turned into the net, but as Cairney stretched to do so, his team-mate Tom Taiwo got there marginally quicker and glanced the ball wide.
Griffiths had a free kick comfortably saved but was soon presented with an easier chance to score as Done went to ground in the box, with Goodwin in close attendance.
Referee Willie Collum decreed there had been a shove and Griffiths rolled the ball coolly into the net as Samson dived to his left.
With 11 minutes remaining, the St Mirren keeper did well to keep out a swerving drive from Griffiths, but even when he departed the field shortly afterwards, the home team couldn't fashion a decent goalscoring chance and Hibs held on with ease.
Live text and stats
Saturday, 16 February 2013
Scottish Premier League
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 01 Samson
- 02 van Zanten
- 03 Dummett
- 14 McAusland yellow card
- 06 Goodwin
- 10 McGowan
- 11 Carey (Guy 59)
- 17 Mclean (J McGinn 58)
- 24 Newton (Imrie 81)
- 09 Thompson
- 77 Goncalves
- 16 Adam,
- 05 Mair,
- 23 Barron,
- 07 Imrie,
- 19 Parkin,
- 27 Guy,
- 29 J McGinn
- 01 Williams
- 03 McGivern
- 04 Hanlon
- 06 McPake
- 08 Claros yellow card
- 11 Cairney (Doyle 83)
- 16 Stevenson yellow card
- 17 Done (Wotherspoon 74)
- 20 Taiwo
- 28 Robertson
- 09 Griffiths (Caldwell 86)
- 31 Murdoch,
- 18 Maybury,
- 37 Forster,
- 14 Wotherspoon,
- 10 Doyle,
- 24 Handling,
- 29 Caldwell
- St Mirren 45%
- Hibernian 55%
Attempts on target
- St Mirren 1
- Hibernian 2
Attempts off target
- St Mirren 1
- Hibernian 4
- St Mirren 4
- Hibernian 2
- St Mirren 5
- Hibernian 12
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+3:10 The referee blows his whistle to end the game.
- 89:36 Unfair challenge on David van Zanten by Scott Robertson results in a free kick. Craig Samson takes the direct free kick.
- 88:38 David Wotherspoon decides to take the corner short.
- 85:34 Substitution Leigh Griffiths goes off and Ross Caldwell comes on.
- 84:40 Foul by David Wotherspoon on John McGinn, free kick awarded. Jim Goodwin takes the free kick.
- 83:16 Esmael Goncalves fouled by Ryan McGivern, the ref awards a free kick. Jim Goodwin takes the direct free kick.
- 81:24 Substitution (Hibernian) makes a substitution, with Eoin Doyle coming on for Paul Cairney.
- 81:24 Booking Booking for Jorge Claros.
- 81:15 Paul Hanlon challenges Steven Thompson unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick taken by Craig Samson.
- 79:49 Substitution Dougie Imrie replaces Conor Newton.
- 79:49 Corner taken left-footed by John McGinn.
- 78:57 Leigh Griffiths takes a shot. Save by Craig Samson.
- 74:44 Free kick awarded for a foul by Leigh Griffiths on Paul Dummett. Direct free kick taken by Jim Goodwin.
- 73:39 Substitution David Wotherspoon replaces Matt Done.
- 71:45 GOAL - Leigh Griffiths:St Mirren 0 - 1 Hibernian Placed penalty scored by Leigh Griffiths. St Mirren 0-1 Hibernian.
- 70:45 Jim Goodwin gives away a Penalty for an unfair challenge on Matt Done.
- 63:48 Direct strike on goal from the free kick comes in from Leigh Griffiths, save made by Craig Samson.
- 63:48 Booking Marc McAusland receives a caution.
- 63:38 Unfair challenge on Tom Taiwo by Marc McAusland results in a free kick.
- 60:08 Inswinging corner taken from the left by-line by John McGinn.
- 58:32 Substitution Lewis Guy replaces Graham Carey.
- 57:59 Substitution John McGinn joins the action as a substitute, replacing Kenny McLean.
- 54:23 Unfair challenge on Tom Taiwo by Conor Newton results in a free kick. Ryan McGivern restarts play with the free kick.
- 45:19 Matt Done is penalised for a handball. Craig Samson takes the direct free kick.
- 45:01 The game restarts for the second half.
- Half Time
- 45:00+0:07 The ref blows to end the first period.
- 44:01 Graham Carey fouled by Lewis Stevenson, the ref awards a free kick. Graham Carey takes the direct free kick.
- 43:11 Shot by Esmael Goncalves. Save by Ben Williams.
- 41:33 Foul by Paul Cairney on Paul McGowan, free kick awarded. Direct free kick taken by David van Zanten.
- 39:20 Paul McGowan is penalised for handball and concedes a free kick. Paul Hanlon takes the direct free kick.
- 37:59 Leigh Griffiths is flagged offside by the assistant referee. Indirect free kick taken by Craig Samson.
- 36:41 Foul by James McPake on Esmael Goncalves, free kick awarded. Graham Carey crosses the ball from the free kick left-footed from right wing, clearance by Ryan McGivern.
- 36:09 The referee blows for offside. Ben Williams takes the indirect free kick.
- 31:32 Header from close in by Paul Dummett misses to the right of the target.
- 30:51 Outswinging corner taken from the left by-line by Graham Carey, clearance by Ryan McGivern.
- 29:18 Foul by Graham Carey on Lewis Stevenson, free kick awarded. Direct free kick taken by Ben Williams.
- 28:40 Shot from outside the area by Jorge Claros misses to the left of the goal.
- 26:44 Steven Thompson is ruled offside. Ben Williams takes the indirect free kick.
- 23:49 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Graham Carey by Tom Taiwo. Direct free kick taken by Marc McAusland.
- 23:01 Leigh Griffiths produces a left-footed shot from just outside the area that bounces off the post.
- 21:38 The referee gives a free kick against Matt Done for handball. Craig Samson takes the free kick.
- 20:06 Corner from the left by-line taken by Matt Done, Header from deep inside the penalty area by James McPake goes harmlessly over the crossbar.
- 18:10 Inswinging corner taken by Graham Carey from the right by-line, save made by Ben Williams.
- 17:11 The free kick is swung in left-footed by Graham Carey, clearance made by James McPake.
- 17:11 Booking Lewis Stevenson goes into the referee's book for unsporting behaviour.
- 16:57 Foul by Lewis Stevenson on Paul Dummett, free kick awarded.
- 14:25 Unfair challenge on Steven Thompson by Scott Robertson results in a free kick. Free kick taken by Graham Carey.
- 13:56 Headed effort from deep inside the area by Leigh Griffiths misses to the right of the target.
- 7:33 Esmael Goncalves is caught offside. Paul Hanlon takes the free kick.
- 7:16 Ryan McGivern challenges Conor Newton unfairly and gives away a free kick. Craig Samson takes the direct free kick.
- 6:38 Jim Goodwin concedes a free kick for a foul on Leigh Griffiths. Leigh Griffiths takes the free kick.
- 0:00 The game gets underway.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.