Huddersfield 1 - 4 Wigan
Callum McManaman helped Wigan reach the FA Cup quarter-finals for the first time in 26 years as they comfortably beat Huddersfield.
The 21-year-old opened the scoring when he angled his shot in after 31 minutes.
Nine minutes later, Arouna Kone doubled the lead, tucking in following McManaman's cross to Jordi Gomez.
James McArthur drilled in a third and, although Lee Novak's header gave the Championship side hope, Kone added his second a minute before the end.
Wigan suffered a couple of scares in the second half as substitute James Vaughan also went close with a decent header, but once the impressive McArthur made it 3-0 11 minutes after the break it was an insurmountable task for the Terriers.
Wigan have now matched their best performance in the FA Cup, when they lost to Leeds 2-0 in the 1987 quarter-finals. At the time, Wigan were in the old Third Division
Roberto Martinez's side will now face Oldham or Everton in the next round, and they established their advantage in the game thanks to some clever wing play from McManaman, who is a distant relative of the former Liverpool winger Steve.
But it was perhaps surprising that new boss Mark Robins did not instruct his Huddersfield side to put the Premier League side under more pressure from the start.
The Terriers will now retreat to a key game against Nottingham Forest on Tuesday, as they aim to stay in the Championship, standing just three points above the relegation zone.
Martinez's side sit second from bottom in the Premier League but this was a performance that will give them confidence ahead of their own survival battle.
The Spaniard shuffled his pack and if he was after a response from his fringe players, he was given a firm reply from McManaman, who has yet to start a Premier League game this season.
Wigan's challenge was made easier by a Terriers team who, at first, allowed them to stroke the ball around with some ease.
It was a missed opportunity given that the pitch bore the scars of the Super League fixture between Huddersfield Giants and Wigan Warriors on Saturday, and Wigan's fluidity began to cause problems when McArthur started to find gaps in the midfield.
He was the supply line to McManaman, who, before his opening goal, had already crossed for Gomez, only for the Spaniard to head over from close range.
Huddersfield threatened when Alan Lee headed over from further out but the Terriers went behind when McArthur picked up the ball, fed McManaman down the left and, with the hosts' defence retreating, the former Everton trainee stroked the ball into the top corner.
Wigan's second goal nine minutes later came from the same source. This time McManaman crossed for Gomez and when his shot was blocked on the line, Kone tucked in, although there was a suspicion of offside.
As a lone striker, Lee was struggling for support and Robins brought on Vaughan and Novak at half-time to give an added threat up front.
It seemed to cause Wigan more worries at the back, with Vaughan's firm shot saved by Wigan keeper Joel Robles.
The Latics rode that spell of pressure and the impressive McArthur then put his side in charge when he scored a beauty after 56 minutes. The midfielder received McManaman's pass in the inside left channel, played a one-two with Gomez and arrowed a bullet shot into the top corner.
As a result, it looked like the game was over as a contest, but Novak clawed a goal back when he jumped high to nod in Calum Woods's left-wing cross.
Vaughan, who was booked for a rash challenge on Fraser Fyvie, also headed just wide, but Kone took advantage of Anthony Gerrard's mistake to seal the win.
Huddersfield boss Mark Robins: "I thought it was tough. You know with whatever side you put out that they're going to stretch you and pass the ball and find spare men. If we can't get into the right areas to stop them from playing and stop them from finding the spare men then you're going to come a cropper.
"In all fairness, in the first half we really struggled to cope with their movement. In the second half, we were better than the score line suggests, but we were still sloppy in some areas. We managed to get a goal and created a few more chances, but there wasn't enough of it. We need to be better with and without the ball."
Wigan boss Roberto Martinez on McManaman: "He's a real talent. He's an old-school footballer but he gets really hyped-up for the games, and we told him yesterday that he wasn't playing so that he would not be upset overnight and just concentrate on having a good sleep.
"This morning when he found out he was delighted - and it showed in his performance because he managed 90 minutes for the first time this season."
Live text and stats
Sunday, 17 February 2013
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 01 Smithies
- 02 Woods
- 05 P Clarke
- 06 Gerrard
- 32 Hunt
- 08 Clayton
- 16 Arfield
- 20 Danns
- 31 Atkinson (Novak 46)
- 07 Scannell (Norwood 65)
- 19 Lee (Vaughan 46 yellow card)
- 13 Bennett,
- 03 Dixon,
- 33 Lynch,
- 04 Norwood,
- 10 Gobern,
- 09 Novak,
- 18 Vaughan
- 01 Blazquez
- 23 Stam
- 25 Golobart
- 31 Figueroa
- 14 Gomez (Beausejour 74)
- 16 McArthur (McCarthy 90)
- 18 Espinoza (Maloney 57)
- 20 Fyvie
- 33 Scharner
- 02 Kone
- 15 McManaman yellow card
- Huddersfield 42%
- Wigan 58%
Attempts on target
- Huddersfield 3
- Wigan 6
Attempts off target
- Huddersfield 6
- Wigan 4
- Huddersfield 2
- Wigan 4
- Huddersfield 13
- Wigan 7
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+3:32 The referee brings the game to a close.
- 90:00+2:47 Corner taken right-footed by Adam Clayton from the left by-line, Jean Beausejour makes a clearance.
- 90:00+1:35 Effort from outside the box by James Vaughan goes wide right of the target.
- 89:35 Substitution James McArthur goes off and James McCarthy comes on.
- 89:35 Shot from just outside the box by Calum Woods goes over the bar.
- 88:08 GOAL - Arouna Kone:Huddersfield 1 - 4 Wigan Goal scored by Arouna Kone from deep inside the penalty area high into the middle of the goal. Huddersfield 1-4 Wigan.
- 87:01 The ball is sent over by Neil Danns, Joel Robles makes a comfortable save.
- 86:07 Foul by James Vaughan on Roman Golobart, free kick awarded. Joel Robles takes the direct free kick.
- 82:50 Short corner taken by Ronnie Stam.
- 82:34 Booking Callum McManaman goes into the referee's book for time wasting.
- 82:04 Jean Beausejour crosses the ball, save by Alex Smithies.
- 80:20 Free kick awarded for a foul by Shaun Maloney on Neil Danns. Free kick taken by Adam Clayton.
- 73:37 Substitution Jean Beausejour on for Jordi Gomez.
- 70:39 Headed effort from inside the area by James Vaughan misses to the left of the goal.
- 64:11 Paul Scharner takes the direct free kick.
- 64:11 Substitution Sean Scannell leaves the field to be replaced by Oliver Norwood.
- 64:11 Adam Clayton concedes a free kick for a foul on James McArthur.
- 61:49 Assist by Calum Woods.
- 61:49 GOAL - Lee Novak:Huddersfield 1 - 3 Wigan Lee Novak scores a headed goal from inside the penalty box. Huddersfield 1-3 Wigan.
- 59:07 Foul by Arouna Kone on Sean Scannell, free kick awarded. Free kick taken by Anthony Gerrard.
- 58:05 Direct free kick taken by Paul Scharner.
- 58:05 Booking James Vaughan goes into the book for unsporting behaviour.
- 57:56 Fraser Fyvie fouled by James Vaughan, the ref awards a free kick.
- Correction - 55:10 Substitution Shaun Maloney is brought on as a substitute for Roger Espinoza.
- Correction - 55:10 Assist on the goal came from Jordi Gomez.
- 55:10 Substitution Shaun Maloney comes on in place of Roger Espinoza.
- 55:10 Arouna Kone provided the assist for the goal.
- 55:10 GOAL - James McArthur:Huddersfield 0 - 3 Wigan James McArthur gets on the score sheet with a goal from just inside the penalty area to the top right corner of the goal. Huddersfield 0-3 Wigan.
- 54:23 Maynor Figueroa has an effort from just inside the box that misses to the left of the target.
- 49:18 Paul Scharner fouled by Lee Novak, the ref awards a free kick. Paul Scharner restarts play with the free kick.
- 48:27 Paul Scharner fouled by James Vaughan, the ref awards a free kick. Joel Robles takes the direct free kick.
- 48:07 James Vaughan takes a shot. Save by Joel Robles.
- 46:42 Corner taken by Adam Clayton, Header by Peter Clarke from deep inside the penalty area misses to the left of the goal. Neil Danns gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Jordi Gomez. Joel Robles takes the direct free kick.
- 45:01 The game restarts for the second half.
- 45:01 Substitution Lee Novak is brought on as a substitute for Chris Atkinson.
- 45:01 Substitution James Vaughan is brought on as a substitute for Alan Lee.
- Half Time
- 45:00+1:24 The players leave the pitch at half time.
- 43:48 Calum Woods sends in a cross.
- 39:03 Assist on the goal came from Jordi Gomez. Jordi Gomez takes a shot. Blocked by Anthony Gerrard.
- 39:03 GOAL - Arouna Kone:Huddersfield 0 - 2 Wigan Arouna Kone finds the net with a goal from close range to the bottom right corner of the goal. Huddersfield 0-2 Wigan.
- 36:58 Effort on goal by Roger Espinoza from outside the area goes harmlessly over the bar.
- 36:12 Alan Lee challenges Maynor Figueroa unfairly and gives away a free kick. Direct free kick taken by James McArthur.
- 34:18 Jordi Gomez decides to take the corner short. Unfair challenge on Jordi Gomez by Scott Arfield results in a free kick. Jordi Gomez restarts play with the free kick.
- 33:07 James McArthur gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Chris Atkinson. Alex Smithies restarts play with the free kick.
- 31:51 Scott Arfield fouled by Arouna Kone, the ref awards a free kick. Free kick taken by Alex Smithies.
- 30:09 The assist for the goal came from James McArthur.
- 30:09 GOAL - Callum McManaman:Huddersfield 0 - 1 Wigan Callum McManaman finds the back of the net with a goal from inside the six-yard box high into the middle of the goal. Huddersfield 0-1 Wigan.
- 29:32 Alan Lee is flagged offside by the assistant referee. Paul Scharner takes the indirect free kick.
- 29:18 A cross is delivered by Ronnie Stam, Alex Smithies makes a comfortable save.
- 25:08 Callum McManaman fouled by Adam Clayton, the ref awards a free kick. The free kick is delivered left-footed by Jordi Gomez from left wing, Alan Lee manages to make a clearance. Corner taken left-footed by Roger Espinoza to the near post, Neil Danns manages to make a clearance. Fraser Fyvie gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Sean Scannell. Peter Clarke takes the free kick.
- 24:07 The ball is delivered by Callum McManaman.
- 22:19 Handball decision goes against James McArthur. Jack Hunt takes the direct free kick.
- 19:33 Free kick awarded for a foul by Maynor Figueroa on Sean Scannell. The free kick is swung in right-footed by Adam Clayton.
- 18:16 Roger Espinoza gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Scott Arfield. Peter Clarke takes the direct free kick.
- 16:54 Roger Espinoza fouled by Chris Atkinson, the ref awards a free kick. James McArthur takes the free kick.
- 15:33 Alan Lee produces a header from inside the area that goes over the crossbar.
- 14:39 Free kick awarded for a foul by Neil Danns on Fraser Fyvie. Direct free kick taken by Paul Scharner.
- 13:58 Fraser Fyvie takes a shot from long range which goes wide of the right-hand upright.
- 12:44 Corner taken left-footed by Roger Espinoza to the near post, Anthony Gerrard manages to make a clearance.
- 9:34 Unfair challenge on Roger Espinoza by Adam Clayton results in a free kick. Joel Robles restarts play with the free kick.
- 6:31 Headed effort from deep inside the penalty area by Neil Danns misses to the right of the target.
- 5:20 Header from close range by Jordi Gomez clears the bar.
- 3:48 Arouna Kone takes a shot. Anthony Gerrard gets a block in.
- 2:28 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Maynor Figueroa by Alan Lee. Roman Golobart restarts play with the free kick.
- 1:40 Shot from 25 yards from Adam Clayton. Maynor Figueroa gets a block in.
- 0:00 The game begins.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.