Arsenal 0 - 1 Blackburn
Colin Kazim-Richards's late goal stunned Arsenal as Blackburn Rovers reached the FA Cup quarter-finals.
Arsenal dominated with Gervinho failing to hit the target from a good position and Jake Kean making several key saves.
Tomas Rosicky hit the bar after the break but the Championship side scored when Kazim-Richards followed in on Martin Olsson's shot.
Theo Walcott was denied late in the game as Arsenal's hopes of ending their eight-year trophy drought were dented.
"Blackburn just kept believing they could get something out of this game.
"The amount of pressure Arsenal were putting on them at the end was relentless. Grant Hanley and Scott Dann will not have played a better game this season, or even in their entire careers.
"An outstanding performance from Blackburn."
The Gunners could not find a way through Blackburn's defence as Michael Appleton's team defended for their lives at the end of the game. Mikel Arteta was another Arsenal player who shot off-target.
It means Arsene Wenger's team have only the Champions League left if they are to win silverware this season, having already been knocked out of the Capital One Cup by League Two side Bradford in December.
Appleton has already lost in the FA Cup this season, when in charge of Portsmouth, and was manager at Blackpool in the third round when they drew with Fulham before the 37-year-old left the club.
But he has overseen a transformation at Ewood Park during his short time at Rovers, who were relegated from the Premier League last season. This victory extended his side's unbeaten run to six games after suffering defeat by Charlton in his first match in charge on 19 January.
Blackburn are yet to concede in the FA Cup this season and have now reached the quarter-finals for the first time since 2007 and sit six points off the play-off places in the Championship.
Having made seven changes to the side which defeated Sunderland 1-0 last weekend, it was clear Wenger had one eye on Tuesday's Champions League tie against Bayern Munich.
But the Frenchman may live to regret waiting until 70 minutes had passed before bringing on substitutes Walcott, Jack Wilshere and Santi Cazorla as his side chased the game at 0-0.
Gervinho returned from an impressive Africa Cup of Nations tournament with the Ivory Coast to start his first Arsenal game since that penalty shoot-out loss to Bradford on 11 December.
Unfortunately, his biggest contribution in a first half dominated by the Gunners was to drag his shot wide when he was put through by Rosicky after 41 minutes.
For all their possession in an opening period where Arsenal had 12 corners, Wenger's team did not forge many openings. And when they did, the impressive Blackburn goalkeeper Kean saved headers from Abou Diaby and Thomas Vermaelen, who returned to the side after injury.
Kean also stopped Olivier Giroud's effort after the break with Jason Lowe's header Blackburn's best effort up until the hour mark.
Rovers brought on former Gunner David Bentley to try and make an impression, but it seemed to rouse the home supporters before Rosicky smacked a long-range shot against the bar.
That was his last meaningful action as Wenger brought on his trio of substitutes to try and avoid a replay in an already-congested month.
But Blackburn went ahead two minutes later. Wojciech Szczesny could only palm Olsson's angled shot away and Kazim-Richards's scuffed rebound went in off the post.
It was a stunning blow by the Rovers striker, a boyhood Arsenal fan.
Walcott injected some much needed urgency into the Gunners' play and his header from Wilshere's cross could not breach the Blackburn rearguard as Appleton's side held on for a famous victory.
Blackburn manager Michael Appleton: "Colin Kazim-Richards has been fantastic for the last five games and has played in a couple of different roles.
"I am delighted he got the reward for all of his work, it was not his greatest of strikes, but I think he was just trying not to welly it into Row Z and got the bit of luck he deserved.
"I had a brief stint at Blackpool when I ended up with a 1-1 draw at Fulham in the last round, then was lucky enough to win at Derby, but this is the icing at the top of the cake."
Live text and stats
Saturday, 16 February 2013
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 01 Szczesny
- 05 Vermaelen
- 06 Koscielny
- 17 Monreal
- 02 Diaby
- 07 Rosicky (Wilshere 70)
- 08 Arteta
- 15 Oxlade-Chamberlain (Cazorla 70)
- 22 Coquelin yellow card
- 12 Giroud
- 27 Gervinho (Walcott 70)
- 34 Kean
- 02 Orr yellow card
- 03 Mn Olsson
- 16 Dann
- 31 G Hanley
- 06 Lowe
- 12 Pedersen
- 14 Ms Olsson (Bentley 63)
- 17 Williamson
- 11 Rhodes (Goodwillie 82 yellow card)
- 39 Kazim-Richards
- 30 Usai,
- 05 Givet,
- 23 Rekik,
- 07 Nunes,
- 35 Bentley,
- 21 Nuno Gomes,
- 25 Goodwillie
- Arsenal 54%
- Blackburn 46%
Attempts on target
- Arsenal 12
- Blackburn 3
Attempts off target
- Arsenal 14
- Blackburn 3
- Arsenal 16
- Blackburn 2
- Arsenal 6
- Blackburn 8
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+4:02 The game is over, as the referee blows his whistle.
- 90:00+3:06 Effort on goal by Mikel Arteta from deep inside the penalty area misses to the right of the goal.
- 90:00+2:28 Francis Coquelin takes a shot. Scott Dann gets a block in.
- 88:38 Thomas Vermaelen takes the free kick.
- 88:38 Booking David Goodwillie is shown a yellow card for unsporting behaviour.
- 88:33 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Francis Coquelin by David Goodwillie.
- 87:52 Theo Walcott takes a shot. Comfortable save by Jake Kean.
- 87:12 Scott Dann produces a right-footed shot from long range that goes harmlessly over the bar.
- 86:36 Santi Cazorla takes a shot. Scott Dann gets a block in.
- 86:02 Vassiriki Diaby takes a shot. Jake Kean makes a save.
- 85:12 Olivier Giroud takes a shot. Jake Kean makes a comfortable save.
- 83:40 Foul by Morten Gamst Pedersen on Francis Coquelin, free kick awarded. Thomas Vermaelen takes the free kick.
- 83:09 Effort from the edge of the area by Nacho Monreal goes wide of the right-hand upright.
- 81:26 Jake Kean restarts play with the free kick.
- 81:26 Substitution Jordan Rhodes leaves the field to be replaced by David Goodwillie.
- 81:26 The offside flag is raised against Theo Walcott.
- 79:45 Morten Gamst Pedersen restarts play with the free kick.
- 79:45 Booking Francis Coquelin goes into the referee's book for unsporting behaviour.
- 79:36 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Morten Gamst Pedersen by Francis Coquelin.
- 78:39 Shot by Nacho Monreal from deep inside the penalty area misses wide to the left of the target.
- 74:57 Olivier Giroud handles the ball and concedes a free kick. Jake Kean takes the free kick.
- 73:54 Theo Walcott fouled by Morten Gamst Pedersen, the ref awards a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Jack Wilshere.
- 73:02 Corner taken right-footed by Santi Cazorla, Header on goal by Olivier Giroud from inside the box goes harmlessly over the target.
- 71:10 Assist on the goal came from Martin Olsson.
- 71:10 GOAL - Colin Kazim-Richards:Arsenal 0 - 1 Blackburn Colin Kazim-Richards grabs a goal from deep inside the penalty box low into the middle of the goal. Arsenal 0-1 Blackburn.
- 71:04 Martin Olsson takes a shot. Save by Wojciech Szczesny.
- 69:47 Substitution Santi Cazorla replaces Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain.
- 69:47 Substitution Yao Gervinho leaves the field to be replaced by Theo Walcott.
- 69:47 Substitution Jack Wilshere comes on in place of Tomas Rosicky.
- 68:44 Shot by Vassiriki Diaby from 25 yards. Save by Jake Kean.
- 67:56 Yao Gervinho takes a shot. Blocked by Bradley Orr. Outswinging corner taken right-footed by Mikel Arteta played to the near post, clearance made by Morten Gamst Pedersen.
- 66:26 Shot by Tomas Rosicky.
- 64:17 Tomas Rosicky has a shot on goal from outside the area which misses left.
- 62:35 Substitution (Blackburn) makes a substitution, with David Bentley coming on for Markus Olsson.
- 59:33 Shot from inside the area by Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain clears the bar.
- 58:15 Corner taken by Tomas Rosicky from the left by-line played to the near post, clearance made by Morten Gamst Pedersen. Header from deep inside the area by Vassiriki Diaby goes harmlessly over the crossbar.
- 55:28 Vassiriki Diaby produces a right-footed shot from long range which goes wide right of the target.
- 54:05 Mikel Arteta gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Jordan Rhodes. Free kick taken by Scott Dann.
- 52:25 Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain takes a shot. Blocked by Bradley Orr.
- 50:00 Thomas Vermaelen gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Martin Olsson. Jake Kean takes the free kick.
- 49:18 Corner from the left by-line taken by Morten Gamst Pedersen, Thomas Vermaelen manages to make a clearance.
- 48:12 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Thomas Vermaelen by Jordan Rhodes. Thomas Vermaelen restarts play with the free kick.
- 47:23 Outswinging corner taken right-footed by Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Olivier Giroud takes a shot. Jake Kean makes a comfortable save.
- 46:03 Inswinging corner taken by Morten Gamst Pedersen, Jason Lowe takes a shot. Mikel Arteta makes a clearance.
- 45:01 The referee gets the second half underway.
- Half Time
- 45:00+1:05 The ref blows to signal half-time.
- 44:25 Jason Lowe gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Olivier Giroud. Shot on goal comes in from Mikel Arteta from the free kick, save made by Jake Kean.
- 42:55 Effort from the edge of the area by Yao Gervinho goes wide of the left-hand upright.
- 40:05 Yao Gervinho produces a right-footed shot from outside the penalty box and misses left.
- 36:05 Shot by Nacho Monreal. Blocked by Bradley Orr. Tomas Rosicky takes the inswinging corner, clearance made by Lee Williamson.
- 32:58 Lee Williamson is penalised for handball and concedes a free kick. Mikel Arteta takes the direct free kick.
- 28:06 Inswinging corner taken right-footed by Tomas Rosicky, clearance by Bradley Orr. Inswinging corner taken from the left by-line by Tomas Rosicky, clearance by Bradley Orr. Bradley Orr fouled by Thomas Vermaelen, the ref awards a free kick. Jake Kean takes the free kick.
- 26:10 Free kick awarded for a foul by Mikel Arteta on Jordan Rhodes. Morten Gamst Pedersen delivers the ball, Headed effort from inside the area by Scott Dann misses to the left of the target.
- 25:27 Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain has an effort at goal from outside the area missing to the wide left of the goal.
- 23:08 Inswinging corner taken from the left by-line by Tomas Rosicky, Vassiriki Diaby takes a shot. Comfortable save by Jake Kean. Outswinging corner taken by Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, clearance made by Martin Olsson.
- 22:34 Corner taken right-footed by Tomas Rosicky from the left by-line, save made by Jake Kean.
- 21:45 Vassiriki Diaby takes the chance to get an effort at goal. Bradley Orr gets a block in.
- 21:07 Colin Kazim-Richards concedes a free kick for a foul on Francis Coquelin. Free kick taken by Francis Coquelin.
- 20:22 Corner taken by Tomas Rosicky from the left by-line, comfortable save by Jake Kean.
- 17:04 Mikel Arteta handles the ball and concedes a free kick. Jake Kean takes the direct free kick.
- 16:33 Corner taken by Tomas Rosicky, Bradley Orr manages to make a clearance.
- 15:46 Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain takes a outswinging corner to the near post, Morten Gamst Pedersen makes a clearance.
- 13:54 Lee Williamson gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Vassiriki Diaby. Direct free kick taken by Mikel Arteta.
- 13:03 Outswinging corner taken right-footed by Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Close range header by Laurent Koscielny goes wide of the left-hand post.
- 11:51 Tomas Rosicky takes the inswinging corner, clearance by Scott Dann. Outswinging corner taken by Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain from the right by-line played to the near post, clearance made by Jordan Rhodes.
- 10:08 Thomas Vermaelen takes the direct free kick.
- 10:08 Booking The referee books Bradley Orr for unsporting behaviour.
- 10:00 Bradley Orr gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Yao Gervinho.
- 8:23 The referee penalises Bradley Orr for handball. The free kick is swung in right-footed by Mikel Arteta.
- 1:52 Markus Olsson has an effort at goal from deep inside the area missing to the right of the goal.
- 1:18 Martin Olsson fouled by Francis Coquelin, the ref awards a free kick. Morten Gamst Pedersen restarts play with the free kick.
- 0:34 Markus Olsson is flagged offside by the assistant referee. Free kick taken by Wojciech Szczesny.
- 0:00 The game kicks-off.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
CommentsJump to comments pagination
Comment number 556.justsaying
18th February 2013 - 10:47
Comment number 555.parkthebuskickandrush
18th February 2013 - 10:04
Comment number 554.ArsenalFan
18th February 2013 - 8:09
Comment number 553.2024seriously
17th February 2013 - 22:31
Comment number 552.NUMBER88GAMESTER
17th February 2013 - 22:06