Man City 4 - 0 Leeds
Manchester City made comfortable progress into the FA Cup quarter-finals as Leeds United were completely outclassed at Etihad Stadium.
The FA Cup is now City's most likely source of silverware as they lie 12 points adrift of Premier League leaders Manchester United, and manager Roberto Mancini's side played with real purpose to win easily.
Yaya Toure opened the scoring after only five minutes and when the outstanding Sergio Aguero swiftly added a second from the penalty spot any hopes Leeds United manager Neil Warnock had of springing another shock were over.
Leeds eliminated Tottenham at Elland Road in the last round but they were hopelessly out of their depth as the champions took control quickly and did not relinquish it at any point.
Carlos Tevez bundled in City's third just after half-time and Aguero rounded off an impressive personal display with his second 16 minutes from time.
Man City v Leeds at a glance
- Manchester City, the 2011 FA Cup winners, have now won eight of their last nine outings in the competition; keeping clean sheets in all eight victories
- City have not lost in the FA Cup to a Championship club under Roberto Mancini
- Leeds have only won one away game in all competitions in the last two and a half months
Leeds were backed by 6,000 travelling fans, but there was little enjoyment on offer and they turned their anger on the manager in the second half with loud chants of "Warnock Warnock time to go."
For City, there was delight in the ruthless manner of the victory and also the fact that Mancini remains on course to challenge for another major trophy this season.
As they attempted to regain momentum following the dismal defeat at Southampton saw their chances of retaining the Premier League recede even further, Mancini maintained his FA Cup policy of replacing keeper Joe Hart with Costel Pantilimon.
The Romanian keeper was almost a bystander as City completely dominated proceedings and effectively had their place in the last eight wrapped up inside the first 15 minutes.
Tevez's return gave City added threat and the Argentine created Yaya Toure's opening goal with an instinctive flick to release the midfield man, who rounded keeper Jamie Ashdown to score.
City soon doubled their lead from the penalty spot through Aguero, with a slight pull from Tom Lees being detected by referee Mark Clattenburg.
Leeds, apart from the odd moment of trademark misplaced aggression from veteran Michael Brown, caused City little discomfort other than from a Ross McCormack free-kick that was punched to safety by Pantilimon.
Any lingering doubts about City's progress, and there were few, were erased seven minutes after the restart. Leeds were never able to cope with the speed and movement of City's attacking players and this time David Silva and Aguero linked sweetly to provide Tevez with a simple finish from almost on the line.
Mancini felt comfortable enough to give Jack Rodwell a rare outing as substitute for Javi Garcia, and the £12m summer signing was almost on the mark immediately but headed against the bar after Yaya Toure's shot was palmed into the air by Ashdown.
City were completing the formalities now and the excellent Aguero added his second with a composed 74th-minute finish from Silva's superb pass.
Live text and stats
Sunday, 17 February 2013
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 30 Pantilimon
- 05 Zabaleta
- 13 Kolarov
- 28 K Toure
- 33 Nastasic
- 07 Milner
- 14 Garcia (Rodwell 60)
- 21 Silva
- 42 Y Toure
- 16 Aguero (Dzeko 81)
- 32 Tevez (Maicon 64)
- 12 Ashdown
- 02 Peltier
- 04 Lees
- 15 Warnock
- 08 Austin (Tonge 77)
- 11 Varney
- 14 White
- 17 Brown (Norris 46)
- 25 Byram
- 21 Diouf
- 44 McCormack (Morison 46)
- 01 Kenny,
- 05 Pearce,
- 18 Tonge,
- 19 Norris,
- 30 Hall,
- 09 Morison,
- 22 Habibou
- Man City 54%
- Leeds 46%
Attempts on target
- Man City 10
- Leeds 1
Attempts off target
- Man City 7
- Leeds 4
- Man City 8
- Leeds 3
- Man City 13
- Leeds 10
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+2:08 The referee signals the end of the game.
- 88:28 Pablo Zabaleta has an effort at goal from deep inside the area missing to the left of the goal.
- 88:04 Aidan White concedes a free kick for a foul on Pablo Zabaleta. Free kick taken by Costel Pantilimon.
- 86:13 The ball is sent over by James Milner.
- 84:50 Shot by Edin Dzeko from 20 yards. Jamie Ashdown makes a save. Short corner worked by David Silva.
- 84:35 The ball is sent over by Samuel Byram, clearance made by Matija Nastasic.
- 80:13 Substitution Sergio Aguero leaves the field to be replaced by Edin Dzeko.
- 78:53 David Silva has shot on goal from just outside the area which goes wide of the right-hand upright.
- 76:15 Substitution Michael Tonge replaces Rodolph Austin.
- 75:30 Centre by Stephen Warnock, Costel Pantilimon makes a save.
- 74:58 Outswinging corner taken right-footed by El-Hadji Diouf, Jack Rodwell makes a clearance.
- 73:04 David Silva provided the assist for the goal.
- 73:04 GOAL - Sergio Aguero:Man City 4 - 0 Leeds Goal scored by Sergio Aguero from deep inside the penalty area to the bottom right corner of the goal. Man City 4-0 Leeds.
- 72:11 Kolo Toure fouled by Samuel Byram, the ref awards a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Costel Pantilimon.
- 70:42 Centre by Aidan White, Luke Varney produces a header from inside the six-yard box that clears the bar.
- 70:09 Unfair challenge on El-Hadji Diouf by Jack Rodwell results in a free kick. Jamie Ashdown takes the direct free kick.
- 68:07 Pablo Zabaleta challenges Steve Morison unfairly and gives away a free kick. Stephen Warnock crosses the ball from the free kick left-footed from left wing.
- 67:44 Sergio Aguero has an effort at goal from 12 yards. Jamie Ashdown makes a comfortable save.
- 67:20 A cross is delivered by El-Hadji Diouf, Costel Pantilimon makes a save.
- 66:24 The referee blows for offside. Free kick taken by Matija Nastasic.
- 65:33 Yaya Toure takes a shot. Save made by Jamie Ashdown. Jack Rodwell takes a shot.
- 64:55 Corner taken by Aleksandar Kolarov played to the near post, clearance by Steve Morison.
- 63:14 Substitution Sisenando Maicon on for Carlos Tevez.
- 61:59 Unfair challenge on David Norris by Jack Rodwell results in a free kick. Lee Peltier restarts play with the free kick.
- 61:22 Shot from long range by David Norris goes wide of the left-hand post.
- 59:42 Substitution Francisco Javi Garcia goes off and Jack Rodwell comes on.
- 59:42 The ball is delivered by El-Hadji Diouf, clearance made by Kolo Toure.
- 58:27 Corner taken short by El-Hadji Diouf. The ball is swung over by Stephen Warnock, clearance made by Matija Nastasic.
- 58:04 Rodolph Austin delivers the ball, clearance made by Aleksandar Kolarov.
- 56:48 James Milner produces a right-footed shot from just outside the box that goes wide right of the goal.
- 55:07 Shot from outside the penalty box by Rodolph Austin goes wide right of the goal.
- 54:17 Rodolph Austin delivers the ball, clearance made by Pablo Zabaleta.
- 53:37 Yaya Toure takes a shot. Save by Jamie Ashdown.
- 51:07 Assist by Sergio Aguero.
- 51:07 GOAL - Carlos Tevez:Man City 3 - 0 Leeds A goal is scored by Carlos Tevez from close in low into the middle of the goal. Man City 3-0 Leeds.
- 48:56 Stephen Warnock delivers the ball, Kolo Toure makes a clearance.
- 45:01 The referee gets the second half started.
- 45:01 Substitution David Norris comes on in place of Michael Brown.
- 45:01 Substitution Ross McCormack leaves the field to be replaced by Steve Morison.
- Half Time
- 45:00+2:54 The players leave the pitch at half time.
- 45:00+1:23 Outswinging corner taken by Aleksandar Kolarov from the left by-line played to the near post, Francisco Javi Garcia challenges Tom Lees unfairly and gives away a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Jamie Ashdown.
- 45:00+0:12 The assistant referee signals for offside against Luke Varney. Costel Pantilimon takes the free kick.
- 43:53 El-Hadji Diouf fouled by Aleksandar Kolarov, the ref awards a free kick. Ross McCormack produces a shot on goal direct from the free kick, save by Costel Pantilimon.
- 43:31 Unfair challenge on Samuel Byram by Carlos Tevez results in a free kick. Tom Lees takes the direct free kick.
- 41:04 The referee blows for offside. Jamie Ashdown takes the indirect free kick.
- 39:23 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Pablo Zabaleta by Michael Brown. Pablo Zabaleta takes the direct free kick.
- 36:52 Foul by Pablo Zabaleta on Samuel Byram, free kick awarded. The free kick is delivered right-footed by El-Hadji Diouf from right wing, clearance made by Sergio Aguero.
- 34:10 Inswinging corner taken left-footed by Aleksandar Kolarov, Francisco Javi Garcia has a headed effort at goal from close range which goes wide of the left-hand post.
- 32:35 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Michael Brown by Francisco Javi Garcia. Jamie Ashdown takes the direct free kick.
- 31:26 Effort from 25 yards by Yaya Toure. Save by Jamie Ashdown. Short corner taken by Aleksandar Kolarov from the right by-line. Shot by Aleksandar Kolarov from 12 yards. Save by Jamie Ashdown.
- 29:56 Aleksandar Kolarov takes a corner.
- 26:38 Carlos Tevez fouled by Luke Varney, the ref awards a free kick. Free kick crossed left-footed by Aleksandar Kolarov. Corner taken by Aleksandar Kolarov from the right by-line, clearance by Lee Peltier.
- 25:17 Free kick awarded for a foul by Yaya Toure on Aidan White. El-Hadji Diouf takes the direct free kick. Centre by Aidan White.
- 24:25 Corner taken by El-Hadji Diouf from the left by-line played to the near post, clearance made by Francisco Javi Garcia.
- 23:49 Matija Nastasic gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Ross McCormack. Stephen Warnock takes the free kick.
- 22:19 Carlos Tevez handles the ball and concedes a free kick. Free kick taken by Jamie Ashdown.
- 22:00 Foul by El-Hadji Diouf on Yaya Toure, free kick awarded. Pablo Zabaleta takes the free kick.
- 20:47 Unfair challenge on Aleksandar Kolarov by Ross McCormack results in a free kick. Free kick taken by Francisco Javi Garcia.
- 19:51 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Stephen Warnock by James Milner. Stephen Warnock crosses the ball from the free kick left-footed from left wing, Matija Nastasic makes a clearance.
- 19:01 El-Hadji Diouf takes has a header from just inside the penalty box which clears the crossbar.
- 17:56 Foul by James Milner on Stephen Warnock, free kick awarded. Direct free kick taken by Stephen Warnock.
- 16:47 James Milner is ruled offside. Jamie Ashdown takes the free kick.
- 14:38 GOAL - Sergio Aguero:Man City 2 - 0 Leeds Placed penalty scored by Sergio Aguero. Man City 2-0 Leeds.
- 13:25 Unfair challenge on Sergio Aguero by Tom Lees results in a Penalty.
- 12:19 Carlos Tevez has an effort at goal from the edge of the area that misses to the right of the target.
- 10:06 Corner taken by Aleksandar Kolarov from the left by-line played to the near post, Yaya Toure takes a shot. Lee Peltier gets a block in. David Silva has an effort at goal from the edge of the box that misses to the right of the target.
- 7:45 Free kick awarded for a foul by Michael Brown on Yaya Toure. Free kick taken by Matija Nastasic.
- 6:52 Stephen Warnock concedes a free kick for a foul on James Milner. Pablo Zabaleta takes the free kick.
- 4:56 Assist on the goal came from Carlos Tevez.
- 4:56 GOAL - Yaya Toure :Man City 1 - 0 Leeds Goal scored by Yaya Toure from close in to the bottom right corner of the goal. Man City 1-0 Leeds.
- 2:55 Luke Varney gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on James Milner. Free kick taken by Matija Nastasic.
- 2:33 Pablo Zabaleta crosses the ball, Jamie Ashdown makes a save.
- 1:20 Unfair challenge on Michael Brown by Yaya Toure results in a free kick. The free kick is swung in left-footed by Stephen Warnock, Matija Nastasic makes a clearance.
- 0:00 The match gets underway.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
CommentsJump to comments pagination
Comment number 229.davidmcr
19th February 2013 - 14:14
Comment number 228.Broomhill Dingle
18th February 2013 - 21:16
Comment number 227.Sheriff Hood
18th February 2013 - 19:31
Comment number 226.Dudarben
18th February 2013 - 18:36
Comment number 225.davidmcr
18th February 2013 - 16:08