Southend 2 - 2 Leyton Orient (agg 3 - 2)
A late Ben Reeves goal earned Southend a first Wembley final with victory over Leyton Orient in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy southern area final.
Leading 1-0 from the first leg, Southend were pegged back when Shaun Batt poked in Dean Cox's cross.
Barry Corr thundered in a half volley before David Mooney headed in to level up the aggregate score once more.
Southend's Wembley dream
Southend have never played in a Wembley final - although they played a league fixture there against Clapton Orient in 1930. They reached the JPT final in 2004 and 2005, but both games were played at the Millennium Stadium, as was their 2005 League Two play-off final.
But Southampton loanee Reeves struck in the 90th minute to send the Shrimpers to their third final in the JPT.
Both of those final appearances - in 2004 and 2005 - came at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff and ended in defeat.
Orient have never been in the final of the competition, but showed their hunger when Batt's goal, smartly steered into the corner, cancelled out Ryan Leonard's strike from the first leg.
Corr re-established the lead before the break, lashing in Britt Assombalonga's knock-down from Kevan Hurst's free-kick, before Mooney powered in a header for his 12th of the season and an Orient equaliser.
The O's grew in confidence and almost took the lead for the first time through Batt, but he struck the bar when stretching for a Dean Cox cross.
But it was 21-year-old Reeves, who may not be at the club when the final against Crewe comes around as his loan expires at the end of the month, who stole the glory, directing in Hurst's low centre to spark joyous scenes and a pitch invasion after the final whistle at Roots Hall.
VIEW FROM THE DRESSING ROOM
Southend manager Paul Sturrock told BBC Sport:
"I've never really got to a cup final. I played in the Scottish equivalent of this competition once.
"Wembley will be nice. I'm pleased for everybody involved at Southend. It's been a tricky six years for them.
"This is a special night and hopefully the Wembley game will be special as well."
Live text and stats
Wednesday, 20 February 2013
Football League Trophy
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
|(HT 0-1)(agg 3-2)|
- 01 Smith
- 02 Clohessy
- 15 Phillips yellow card
- 16 Prosser yellow card
- 18 Leonard
- 23 Barker
- 27 Reeves
- 12 Lund
- 14 Hurst
- 30 Woodyard (Corr 35)
- 20 Assombalonga
- 17 Bentley,
- 03 Straker,
- 11 Mayor,
- 07 Eastwood,
- 10 Corr
- 01 Jones
- 05 Cuthbert
- 06 Baudry yellow card
- 02 McSweeney yellow card
- 07 Cox
- 17 Odubajo
- 21 Cook
- 22 Rowlands yellow card (Griffith 74)
- 23 James
- 28 Batt
- 39 Mooney
- 04 Vincelot,
- 15 Clarke,
- 27 Omozusi,
- 08 Griffith,
- 11 Smith
- Southend 45%
- Leyton Orient 55%
Attempts on target
- Southend 5
- Leyton Orient 7
Attempts off target
- Southend 4
- Leyton Orient 8
- Southend 1
- Leyton Orient 5
- Southend 12
- Leyton Orient 11
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+4:59 The referee brings the game to a close.
- 90:00+4:35 Centre by Shaun Batt.
- 89:59 Assist by Ryan Leonard.
- 89:59 GOAL - Ben Reeves:Southend 2 - 2 Leyton Orient Ben Reeves fires in a goal from inside the six-yard box to the top left corner of the goal. Southend 2 (3)-(2) 2 Leyton Orient.
- 88:56 Dean Cox delivers the ball, save by Paul Smith.
- 86:37 Direct strike on goal from the free kick comes in from Lee Cook, save by Paul Smith.
- 86:37 Booking Luke Prosser booked.
- 86:07 Foul by Luke Prosser on Shaun Batt, free kick awarded.
- 85:07 Effort on goal by Lee Cook from long range goes harmlessly over the bar.
- 84:27 Britt Assombalonga gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Jamie Jones. Jamie Jones restarts play with the free kick.
- 83:51 Barry Corr takes a shot. Jamie Jones makes a save.
- 83:18 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Ryan Leonard by Anthony Griffith. Chris Barker restarts play with the free kick.
- 82:40 Lloyd James takes a shot from just outside the penalty area clears the crossbar.
- 79:52 Dean Cox delivers the ball, Shaun Batt produces a left-footed shot from inside the area that clears the crossbar.
- 78:46 Shaun Batt takes a shot. Save made by Paul Smith.
- 77:23 Dean Cox sends in a cross.
- 76:09 The ball is swung over by Lee Cook, Close range shot by David Mooney goes wide of the left-hand post.
- 72:54 Substitution Anthony Griffith replaces Martin Rowlands.
- 72:54 David Mooney takes a shot.
- 72:26 Mathieu Baudry fouled by Britt Assombalonga, the ref awards a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Jamie Jones.
- 71:08 Assist by Lee Cook.
- 71:08 GOAL - David Mooney:Southend 1 - 2 Leyton Orient David Mooney scores a headed goal from close in. Southend 1 (2)-(2) 2 Leyton Orient.
- 71:04 The ball is sent over by Lee Cook,
- 69:09 Lloyd James produces a cross, Mark Phillips manages to make a clearance.
- 68:44 The ball is sent over by Dean Cox, clearance made by Chris Barker.
- 68:02 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Leon McSweeney by Barry Corr. Dean Cox delivers the ball from the free kick right-footed from left wing, Matthew Lund makes a clearance.
- 67:21 Shaun Batt takes a shot. Save made by Paul Smith. Inswinging corner taken by Dean Cox from the right by-line, clearance made by Barry Corr.
- 65:26 Britt Assombalonga challenges Mathieu Baudry unfairly and gives away a free kick. Jamie Jones takes the direct free kick.
- 63:04 Ben Reeves sends in a cross, Britt Assombalonga takes a shot. Save by Jamie Jones.
- 60:13 Britt Assombalonga provided the assist for the goal.
- 60:13 GOAL - Barry Corr:Southend 1 - 1 Leyton Orient Barry Corr finds the back of the net with a goal from deep inside the penalty box high into the middle of the goal. Southend 1 (2)-(1) 1 Leyton Orient.
- 59:41 Centre by Kevan Hurst,
- 59:41 Booking Mathieu Baudry is shown a yellow card.
- 59:32 Britt Assombalonga fouled by Mathieu Baudry, the ref awards a free kick.
- 58:26 A cross is delivered by Ben Reeves, Ryan Leonard produces a header from inside the area that goes over the crossbar.
- 57:32 Britt Assombalonga produces a left-footed shot from just outside the box that misses to the right of the target.
- 55:42 The referee penalises Shaun Batt for handball. Chris Barker takes the free kick.
- 54:22 Effort from outside the penalty area by Ben Reeves goes wide left of the goal.
- 53:09 Free kick awarded for a foul by Ben Reeves on Leon McSweeney. Scott Cuthbert takes the direct free kick.
- 51:26 The ball is sent over by Dean Cox, Paul Smith makes a save.
- 50:59 Corner taken by Dean Cox from the left by-line to the near post, Barry Corr manages to make a clearance.
- 48:55 Lloyd James restarts play with the free kick.
- 48:55 Booking Mark Phillips receives a caution for unsporting behaviour.
- 48:49 Foul by Mark Phillips on Shaun Batt, free kick awarded.
- 47:27 Floated corner taken left-footed by Lee Cook from the right by-line. Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Leon McSweeney by Britt Assombalonga. Direct free kick taken by Lee Cook.
- 46:57 Short corner taken by Lloyd James from the right by-line.
- 46:23 Barry Corr fouled by Martin Rowlands, the ref awards a free kick. Chris Barker takes the free kick.
- 45:42 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Mathieu Baudry by Barry Corr. Direct free kick taken by Jamie Jones.
- 45:01 The match restarts for the second half.
- Half Time
- 45:00+2:41 The whistle is blown to end the first half.
- 45:00+0:14 Ben Reeves takes the free kick.
- 45:00+0:14 Booking Martin Rowlands booked.
- 45:00+0:06 Martin Rowlands challenges Matthew Lund unfairly and gives away a free kick.
- 44:33 Foul by Shaun Batt on Sean Clohessy, free kick awarded. Free kick taken by Paul Smith.
- 43:36 Ryan Leonard crosses the ball.
- 43:21 The ball is swung over by Ben Reeves, Mathieu Baudry manages to make a clearance.
- 41:57 The referee blows for offside. Jamie Jones takes the free kick.
- 40:58 Effort from 35 yards by Ryan Leonard went wide right of the goal.
- 39:27 David Mooney is flagged offside by the assistant referee. Free kick taken by Sean Clohessy.
- 38:48 Free kick awarded for a foul by David Mooney on Mark Phillips. Paul Smith takes the direct free kick.
- 38:21 Unfair challenge on Martin Rowlands by Barry Corr results in a free kick. Jamie Jones takes the free kick.
- 37:18 Paul Smith restarts play with the free kick.
- 37:18 Booking Leon McSweeney receives a caution for unsporting behaviour.
- 36:51 Foul by Leon McSweeney on Barry Corr, free kick awarded.
- 34:27 Direct free kick taken by Paul Smith.
- 34:27 Substitution Barry Corr joins the action as a substitute, replacing Alex Woodyard.
- 34:27 David Mooney is caught offside.
- 33:32 David Mooney is ruled offside. Direct free kick taken by Paul Smith.
- 32:31 Shaun Batt has an effort at goal from 35 yards and went wide left of the target.
- 29:55 Ben Reeves takes a shot. Jamie Jones makes a save.
- 29:00 Unfair challenge on Mark Phillips by Shaun Batt results in a free kick. Paul Smith takes the free kick.
- 28:37 The ball is sent over by Chris Barker, Leon McSweeney manages to make a clearance.
- 25:54 Free kick awarded for a foul by Moses Odubajo on Ryan Leonard. Kevan Hurst restarts play with the free kick.
- 25:23 Headed effort on goal by David Mooney from just inside the box goes harmlessly over the goal.
- 24:45 Mark Phillips gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Shaun Batt. Dean Cox takes the free kick.
- 22:50 The ball is crossed by Leon McSweeney.
- 22:39 Dean Cox sends in a cross, clearance made by Alex Woodyard.
- 21:58 Outswinging corner taken right-footed by Dean Cox played to the near post, Ben Reeves makes a clearance.
- 21:13 Shaun Batt takes a shot. Save made by Paul Smith.
- 20:21 Ryan Leonard is ruled offside. Free kick taken by Jamie Jones.
- Correction - 13:15 Moses Odubajo challenges Ryan Leonard unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick taken by Chris Barker.
- 13:15 Moses Odubajo concedes a free kick for a foul on Ryan Leonard. Chris Barker takes the direct free kick.
- 9:57 David Mooney has an effort at goal from outside the penalty box which goes wide left of the goal.
- 8:30 Corner taken right-footed by Kevan Hurst, clearance made by David Mooney.
- 7:26 Assist on the goal came from Dean Cox.
- 7:26 GOAL - Shaun Batt:Southend 0 - 1 Leyton Orient Shaun Batt finds the net with a headed goal from inside the penalty box. Southend 0 (1)-(1) 1 Leyton Orient.
- 7:07 Dean Cox sends in a cross,
- 4:31 Shaun Batt challenges Paul Smith unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick taken by Paul Smith.
- 4:00 David Mooney takes a shot. Blocked by Chris Barker.
- 3:06 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Lee Cook by Kevan Hurst. Free kick taken by Dean Cox.
- 0:00 The match begins.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.