Arsenal 1-3 Bayern Munich
Arsenal's Champions League ambitions - and their hopes of a first trophy since 2005 - look to be in tatters after they were well beaten by Bayern Munich at Emirates Stadium.
Arsene Wenger demanded an instant response from his players after the shock FA Cup fifth-round defeat at home by Championship side Blackburn Rovers on Saturday brought a storm of criticism for manager and players.
Bundesliga leaders Bayern were in no mood to offer any respite and made it a miserable few days for Arsenal as they established a commanding advantage ahead of the second leg of this last 16 tie in the Allianz Arena.
"The wider and more painful truth is even starker for Wenger after the runaway Bundesliga leaders spent 90 minutes plus stoppage time illustrating to The Emirates what Arsenal have become; how far they have fallen in European terms."
Toni Kroos and Thomas Mueller gave Bayern control with two early goals, and even though Lukas Podolski pulled a goal back for Arsenal in the second half, Mario Mandzukic's scrambled third left the Gunners requiring something bordering on miraculous in Germany.
Arsenal showed plenty of spirit, but Bayern simply carried too much quality and experience. All evidence suggests a fight for a place in the Premier League's top four can be Wenger's only realistic target for the rest of the season.
The old defensive fragility undermined Arsenal, and in attack they ran up against a resolute Bayern defence that offered little to the likes of Theo Walcott.
Arsenal's fragile confidence required some repair following the Blackburn defeat - but Bayern pounced ruthlessly on a vulnerable opponent to score twice in the first 21 minutes.
Kroos struck first after only seven minutes when he was left unattended on the edge of the area and showed fine technique in controlling a powerful volley into the turf that beat Arsenal keeper Wojciech Szczesny.
This is only the third time that Arsenal have lost two successive matches at the Emirates Stadium (May 2009 & Nov 2010)
Arsenal's fans roared their team forward in raucous fashion, with no hint of dissent, but their plight worsened as they swiftly conceded another sloppy goal to ensure Bayern were in total command. Szczesny could only palm out Daniel van Buyten's near-post header and Mueller reacted quicker than Mikel Arteta to turn the rebound into the roof of the net.
Wenger's side were frustrated in their attempts to subdue Bayern and it resulted in first-half yellow cards for Bacary Sagna, Thomas Vermaelen and Arteta.
The Gunners showed reserves of resilience but Bayern's pace, power and relentless work-rate made them an ominous threat. Mandzukic almost added a third moments before half-time when his header was only inches wide from Philipp Lahm's right-wing cross.
Arsenal were in desperate straits and needed to muster a swift response. It came 10 minutes after the restart when Germany striker Podolski headed in after Bayern keeper Manuel Neuer failed to deal with a corner.
It offered Arsenal hope at last. And with his side finally gathering momentum, Wenger made a double change with 19 minutes left, sending on Olivier Giroud and Tomas Rosicky for Podolski and Aaron Ramsey.
Mario Mandzukic became the 10th different player to score a Champions League goal for Bayern Munich in 2012-13
Frenchman Giroud almost brought Arsenal level with his first touch, a snap-shot that was blocked, with more than an element of good fortune, by Neuer.
As Arsenal's supporters sensed the possibility of an unlikely comeback, Bayern scored what will surely prove to be a killer third goal that owed something to both accident and design.
Substitute Arjen Robben, on for Franck Ribery, played in the marauding Lahm. The Bayern captain found Mandzukic, who fell and half-hit his attempted finish only to see the bounce wrong-foot Szczesny and end up in the net.
Live text and stats
Tuesday, 19 February 2013
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 01 Szczesny
- 03 Sagna yellow card
- 04 Mertesacker
- 05 Vermaelen yellow card
- 06 Koscielny
- 08 Arteta yellow card
- 10 Wilshere
- 14 Walcott
- 16 Ramsey yellow card (Rosicky 71)
- 19 Cazorla
- 09 Podolski yellow card (Giroud 71)
- 01 Neuer
- 04 Dante
- 05 Van Buyten
- 21 Lahm yellow card
- 07 Ribery (Robben 63)
- 08 Martinez
- 25 Mueller yellow card
- 27 Alaba
- 31 Schweinsteiger yellow card
- 39 Kroos (Dias 73)
- 09 Mandzukic (Gomez 78)
- 22 Tom Starke,
- 13 Rafinha,
- 11 Shaqiri,
- 30 Dias,
- 44 Tymoschuk,
- 10 Robben,
- 33 Gomez
- Arsenal 56%
- Bayern Munich 44%
Attempts on target
- Arsenal 6
- Bayern Munich 9
Attempts off target
- Arsenal 2
- Bayern Munich 8
- Arsenal 2
- Bayern Munich 8
- Arsenal 14
- Bayern Munich 17
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+3:20 The referee blows for the end of the match.
- 90:00+2:16 Mario Gomez takes a shot. Blocked by Per Mertesacker. Arjen Robben takes a short corner.
- 90:00+1:27 Santi Cazorla fouled by Arjen Robben, the ref awards a free kick. Santi Cazorla takes the free kick.
- 90:00+0:59 Thomas Muller concedes a free kick for a foul on Mikel Arteta. Bacary Sagna takes the free kick.
- 90:00+0:20 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Luiz Gustavo by Bacary Sagna. David Alaba takes the free kick.
- 88:59 The free kick is swung in right-footed by Santi Cazorla, Daniel Van Buyten manages to make a clearance. Long range effort from Bacary Sagna misses to the left of the target.
- 88:59 Booking Philip Lahm is booked.
- 88:52 Unfair challenge on Thomas Vermaelen by Philip Lahm results in a free kick.
- 85:50 Unfair challenge on Tomas Rosicky by Luiz Gustavo results in a free kick. Jack Wilshere restarts play with the free kick.
- 84:41 Aguinaga Javi Martinez challenges Jack Wilshere unfairly and gives away a free kick. Jack Wilshere takes the free kick.
- 83:59 Arjen Robben takes a shot. Blocked by Laurent Koscielny.
- 82:27 The referee blows for offside. Indirect free kick taken by Manuel Neuer.
- 81:14 Luiz Gustavo takes a shot. Wojciech Szczesny makes a save. Shot from deep inside the area by Mario Gomez goes over the bar.
- 80:30 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Bastian Schweinsteiger by Mikel Arteta. Bastian Schweinsteiger restarts play with the free kick.
- 79:03 Jack Wilshere takes a shot. Save by Manuel Neuer.
- 76:46 Substitution Mario Gomez on for Mario Mandzukic.
- 76:46 The assist for the goal came from Philip Lahm.
- 76:46 GOAL - Mario Mandzukic:Arsenal 1 - 3 Bayern Munich Mario Mandzukic grabs a goal from close in high into the middle of the goal. Arsenal 1-3 Bayern Munich.
- 75:59 Mikel Arteta concedes a free kick for a foul on Mario Mandzukic. Philip Lahm takes the direct free kick.
- 74:26 Luiz Gustavo has shot on goal from just outside the box which goes wide of the right-hand upright.
- 74:10 Arjen Robben decides to take the corner short.
- 72:15 Substitution Luiz Gustavo on for Toni Kroos.
- 71:57 Olivier Giroud takes a shot. Manuel Neuer makes a fantastic save.
- 70:51 Substitution Olivier Giroud replaces Lukas Podolski.
- 70:36 Substitution Tomas Rosicky comes on in place of Aaron Ramsey.
- 69:02 Lukas Podolski takes a shot. Clearance by David Alaba.
- 66:59 Strike on goal comes in from Bastian Schweinsteiger from the free kick.
- 66:59 Booking Aaron Ramsey is given a yellow card.
- 66:51 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Thomas Muller by Aaron Ramsey.
- 65:55 Philip Lahm restarts play with the free kick.
- 65:55 Booking Lukas Podolski receives a caution for unsporting behaviour.
- 65:51 Lukas Podolski challenges Arjen Robben unfairly and gives away a free kick.
- 64:59 Arjen Robben is caught offside. Free kick taken by Per Mertesacker.
- 63:49 Free kick awarded for a foul by Toni Kroos on Aaron Ramsey. Direct free kick taken by Mikel Arteta.
- 63:25 Mario Mandzukic gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Aaron Ramsey. Laurent Koscielny restarts play with the free kick.
- 61:16 Substitution Arjen Robben joins the action as a substitute, replacing Franck Ribery.
- 61:16 Franck Ribery fouled by Aaron Ramsey, the ref awards a free kick. Bastian Schweinsteiger crosses the ball in from the free kick. Toni Kroos takes a shot. Save by Wojciech Szczesny. Inswinging corner taken right-footed by Toni Kroos, Shot by Aguinaga Javi Martinez from deep inside the six-yard box clear the bar.
- 59:12 Franck Ribery takes a long range shot harmlessly clearing the crossbar.
- 57:10 Theo Walcott crosses the ball from the free kick right-footed from left wing, save made by Manuel Neuer.
- 57:10 Booking Thomas Muller receives a yellow card.
- 57:01 Thomas Muller challenges Thomas Vermaelen unfairly and gives away a free kick.
- 56:10 Mario Mandzukic gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Mikel Arteta. Jack Wilshere takes the direct free kick.
- 55:46 Foul by Toni Kroos on Mikel Arteta, free kick awarded. Mikel Arteta restarts play with the free kick.
- 54:25 The assist for the goal came from Jack Wilshere.
- 54:25 GOAL - Lukas Podolski:Arsenal 1 - 2 Bayern Munich Lukas Podolski finds the net with a headed goal from inside the six-yard box. Arsenal 1-2 Bayern Munich.
- 54:23 Inswinging corner taken from the right by-line by Jack Wilshere,
- 54:02 Santi Cazorla takes a shot. Daniel Van Buyten gets a block in.
- 46:04 Outswinging corner taken by Toni Kroos, clearance by Laurent Koscielny.
- 45:18 Mario Mandzukic gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Laurent Koscielny. Direct free kick taken by Laurent Koscielny.
- 45:01 The referee gets the second half started.
- Half Time
- 45:00+2:06 The ref blows to signal half-time.
- 44:19 A cross is delivered by Philip Lahm, Headed effort on goal by Mario Mandzukic from inside the penalty box misses to the right of the target.
- 43:18 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Santi Cazorla by Bonfim Dante. Mikel Arteta takes the direct free kick.
- 42:50 Bastian Schweinsteiger is caught offside. Laurent Koscielny restarts play with the free kick.
- 38:31 Foul by Bacary Sagna on Mario Mandzukic, free kick awarded. Manuel Neuer takes the direct free kick.
- 36:38 Theo Walcott takes a shot. Blocked by David Alaba.
- Correction - 35:41 Direct free kick taken by Jack Wilshere.
- Correction - 35:41 Booking Bastian Schweinsteiger receives a caution.
- 35:41 Jack Wilshere takes the free kick.
- 35:41 Booking Thomas Muller is booked.
- 35:29 Bastian Schweinsteiger concedes a free kick for a foul on Aaron Ramsey.
- 34:43 Lukas Podolski is caught offside. Daniel Van Buyten takes the free kick.
- 32:41 Theo Walcott fouled by Bonfim Dante, the ref awards a free kick. Jack Wilshere delivers the ball, Per Mertesacker takes a shot. Blocked by Aguinaga Javi Martinez.
- 23:41 Philip Lahm takes the direct free kick.
- 23:41 Booking Mikel Arteta goes into the book for unsporting behaviour.
- 23:38 Mikel Arteta concedes a free kick for a foul on Mario Mandzukic.
- 22:44 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Bacary Sagna by Mario Mandzukic. Aaron Ramsey takes the free kick.
- 21:41 Direct free kick taken by Bonfim Dante.
- 21:41 Booking Booking for Bacary Sagna.
- 21:37 Free kick awarded for a foul by Bacary Sagna on Toni Kroos.
- 21:19 Toni Kroos challenges Santi Cazorla unfairly and gives away a free kick. Aaron Ramsey restarts play with the free kick.
- 20:11 The assist for the goal came from Daniel Van Buyten.
- 20:11 GOAL - Thomas Muller:Arsenal 0 - 2 Bayern Munich Goal scored by Thomas Muller from inside the six-yard box to the top right corner of the goal. Arsenal 0-2 Bayern Munich.
- 20:09 Toni Kroos takes a outswinging corner from the right by-line to the near post.
- 18:39 Effort on goal by Bastian Schweinsteiger from long range goes harmlessly over the target.
- 18:23 Outswinging corner taken by Toni Kroos from the right by-line, clearance by Per Mertesacker.
- 17:33 Lukas Podolski concedes a free kick for a foul on Franck Ribery. Philip Lahm restarts play with the free kick.
- 14:27 Bastian Schweinsteiger has a direct shot on goal from the free kick.
- 14:27 Booking Thomas Vermaelen receives a yellow card for unsporting behaviour.
- 14:22 Thomas Vermaelen concedes a free kick for a foul on Aguinaga Javi Martinez.
- 11:14 Toni Kroos decides to take a short corner.
- 9:47 Unfair challenge on Toni Kroos by Per Mertesacker results in a free kick. Bastian Schweinsteiger takes the free kick. Effort from 30 yards by Daniel Van Buyten.
- 6:46 Assist by Thomas Muller.
- 6:46 GOAL - Toni Kroos:Arsenal 0 - 1 Bayern Munich Toni Kroos grabs a goal from just inside the area to the top right corner of the goal. Arsenal 0-1 Bayern Munich.
- 5:08 The ball is crossed by Theo Walcott, clearance made by Philip Lahm. Inswinging corner taken by Theo Walcott from the left by-line, Foul by Mikel Arteta on Manuel Neuer, free kick awarded. Manuel Neuer takes the free kick.
- 4:06 Mario Mandzukic takes a shot. Thomas Vermaelen gets a block in. Outswinging corner taken from the right by-line by Toni Kroos, clearance by Per Mertesacker.
- 2:33 Mikel Arteta gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Toni Kroos. Bastian Schweinsteiger takes the direct free kick.
- 1:03 Foul by Aguinaga Javi Martinez on Lukas Podolski, free kick awarded. Mikel Arteta takes the free kick.
- 0:00 The match begins.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.