Lyon 1 - 1 Tottenham (agg 2 - 3)
A fabulous long-distance strike from Mousa Dembele in the dying minutes booked Tottenham a last-16 Europa League tie against Inter Milan.
Spurs had been on the verge of being knocked out of the competition by Lyon courtesy of the away goals rule.
Maxime Gonalons's header in a lively match overturned Spurs' 2-1 advantage from the first leg.
But in the 90th minute, Dembele skipped past Clement Grenier and struck low beyond the diving Remy Vercoutre.
Tottenham goalkeeper Hugo Lloris, watching from the substitutes' bench as Andre Villas-Boas maintained his preference of Brad Friedel in goal for European matches, said the game had a pre-match feel of a high-profile Champions League match.
There was certainly a giddy anticipation before the tie, mainly surrounding Gareth Bale - a player likened to Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi for his ability to influence games - but it was summer signing Dembele who provided an ending which was dramatic enough to grace the grandest of European stages.
As full time approached, Lyon's fans were somewhat prematurely celebrating their team's progress into the next round, but Tottenham's second-half dominance was eventually rewarded when Dembele unleashed his coup de grace.
Dembele sharing the burden
Mousa Dembele's goal was Tottenham's first out of their last seven (in all competitions) not to come courtesy of Gareth Bale.
Going into the contest, Tottenham merely needed to defend the lead they gained at White Hart Lane, but even after three minutes - when the home team twice caused havoc in the Spurs defence - preventing Lyon from scoring seemed a task beyond the visitors.
The joyful Grenier, the only change to the Lyon team which lost last week in north London, added panache to the home attack.
The Frenchman's precise cross would have led to an opening goal in the 10th minute had Alexandre Lacazette managed to head the ball anywhere other than into Friedel's grateful hands.
Instead, it was Grenier's menacing free-kick nine minutes later which did the damage. It was a set-piece so precise that Gonalons barely needed to leave the turf to head the ball beyond the defending Bale, and the diving Friedel, at the near post.
Tottenham improved as half-time loomed, with Bale attempting to ignite his team by embarking on a 40-yard gallop down the right, turning Dejan Lovren this way and that until the covering Lacazette booted the ball out for a corner.
Lewis Holtby, making his first European start for Tottenham, nearly changed the balance of the tie with a low, long-range strike which bounced off the post but it was a subdued first-half performance from the Londoners.
Tottenham needed the likes of Emmanuel Adebayor and Aaron Lennon, as well as Bale, to spark into life after the break and that is what they did in a pulsating second half.
Adebayor, wide on the right, sent a looping cross towards Bale and the Welshman's attempted volley was inches from rippling the bottom corner of the net.
Twice, however, Friedel needed to come to his team's rescue. First, the American's legs blocked Grenier's toe-poke and then the goalkeeper dashed from his line to intimidate Lacazette. Lyon appealed for a penalty, but replays showed Friedel's protruding leg did not make contact with the off-balance Lyon striker.
Lyon goalkeeper Vercoutre punched away a goal-bound Bale corner and a swerving free-kick. Clint Dempsey should have levelled the match with a header 15 minutes before the end and as full-time neared, Tottenham's hopes seemed to fade. That is, until Dembele unleashed his magical strike.
Live text and stats
Thursday, 21 February 2013
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
|(HT 1-0)(agg 2-3)|
- 01 Vercoutre
- 05 Lovren
- 06 Fofana
- 13 Reveillere
- 15 Bisevac
- 23 Umtiti yellow card
- 07 Grenier
- 21 Gonalons yellow card
- 09 Lopez (Ghezzal 73)
- 10 Lacazette (Malbranque 65)
- 18 Gomis (Briand 82)
- 16 Lopes,
- 04 Kone,
- 14 Dabo,
- 12 Ferri,
- 17 Malbranque,
- 31 Ghezzal,
- 19 Briand
- 24 Friedel
- 05 Vertonghen
- 13 Gallas yellow card
- 28 Walker yellow card
- 32 Assou-Ekotto
- 07 Lennon (Dempsey 66)
- 08 Parker (Livermore 84)
- 11 Bale
- 14 Holtby (Sigurdsson 74)
- 10 Adebayor
- 19 Dembele
- Lyon 43%
- Tottenham 57%
Attempts on target
- Lyon 5
- Tottenham 4
Attempts off target
- Lyon 4
- Tottenham 6
- Lyon 4
- Tottenham 5
- Lyon 10
- Tottenham 13
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+3:59 The game is over, as the referee blows his whistle.
- 90:00+1:44 The referee blows for offside against Jimmy Briand. Brad Friedel takes the free kick.
- 89:19 GOAL - Mousa Dembele:Lyon 1 - 1 Tottenham Mousa Dembele finds the back of the net with a goal from long range to the bottom right corner of the goal. Lyon 1 (2)-(3) 1 Tottenham.
- 86:54 Effort from 35 yards by Gareth Bale went wide right of the net.
- 86:28 Jimmy Briand is ruled offside. Brad Friedel restarts play with the free kick.
- 85:31 Unfair challenge on Jimmy Briand by Jake Livermore results in a free kick. Samuel Umtiti restarts play with the free kick.
- 83:36 Substitution Jake Livermore on for Scott Parker.
- 81:28 Substitution Jimmy Briand on for Bafetimbi Gomis.
- 80:52 Right-footed shot by Clint Dempsey went wide left of the net.
- 77:34 Corner from the left by-line taken by Clement Grenier, clearance by Kyle Walker.
- 77:00 Effort from deep inside the area by Clint Dempsey misses to the left of the target.
- 76:09 Outswinging corner taken by Gareth Bale, Header from deep inside the area by Clint Dempsey goes over the bar.
- 75:33 Outswinging corner taken left-footed by Gareth Bale played to the near post, clearance made by Maxime Gonalons.
- 74:37 Free kick crossed left-footed by Gareth Bale from right wing, clearance made by Dejan Lovren.
- 74:37 Booking Caution for Samuel Umtiti.
- 74:29 The referee penalises Dejan Lovren for handball.
- 73:48 Gylfi Sigurdsson concedes a free kick for a foul on Samuel Umtiti. Free kick taken by Remy Vercoutre.
- 73:01 Substitution Gylfi Sigurdsson is brought on as a substitute for Lewis Holtby.
- 72:40 Substitution Rachid Ghezzal on for Lisandro Lopez.
- 67:39 Benoit Assou-Ekotto concedes a free kick for a foul on Anthony Reveillere. Remy Vercoutre restarts play with the free kick.
- 67:02 The assistant referee flags for offside against Bafetimbi Gomis. Brad Friedel restarts play with the free kick.
- 66:10 Gareth Bale takes a shot. Remy Vercoutre makes a save.
- 65:09 Substitution Clint Dempsey replaces Aaron Lennon.
- 64:36 Booking William Gallas receives a caution for dissent.
- 64:34 Substitution Steed Malbranque on for Alexandre Lacazette.
- 64:17 The ball is swung over by Benoit Assou-Ekotto.
- 62:36 Gareth Bale produces a shot on goal direct from the free kick, save by Remy Vercoutre.
- 62:36 Booking Maxime Gonalons is booked.
- 62:29 Gareth Bale fouled by Maxime Gonalons, the ref awards a free kick.
- 58:20 Bafetimbi Gomis takes a shot. Benoit Assou-Ekotto gets a block in.
- 57:40 Free kick awarded for a foul by Kyle Walker on Lisandro Lopez. Free kick taken by Samuel Umtiti.
- 57:04 Inswinging corner taken by Gareth Bale from the right by-line, save by Remy Vercoutre.
- 56:26 Inswinging corner taken left-footed by Gareth Bale from the right by-line, clearance made by Bafetimbi Gomis.
- 54:52 Bafetimbi Gomis gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Jan Vertonghen. Brad Friedel restarts play with the free kick.
- 54:26 Clement Grenier takes a shot. Brad Friedel makes a fantastic save.
- 53:07 The referee blows for offside. Brad Friedel takes the free kick.
- 52:26 Benoit Assou-Ekotto challenges Anthony Reveillere unfairly and gives away a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Remy Vercoutre.
- 49:24 The ball is delivered by Emmanuel Adebayor, Gareth Bale has an effort at goal from deep inside the area missing to the left of the goal.
- 45:01 The referee gets the second half started.
- Half Time
- 45:00+0:18 The players leave the pitch at half time.
- 44:22 Lewis Holtby takes a shot. Save made by Remy Vercoutre.
- 42:25 Alexandre Lacazette has an effort at goal from deep inside the area missing to the right of the target.
- 41:06 Corner taken left-footed by Gareth Bale to the near post, Milan Bisevac makes a clearance.
- 38:26 Maxime Gonalons gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Lewis Holtby. Scott Parker restarts play with the free kick.
- 37:56 Bafetimbi Gomis is flagged offside by the assistant referee. Jan Vertonghen takes the indirect free kick.
- 37:05 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Scott Parker by Maxime Gonalons. Kyle Walker takes the direct free kick.
- 35:44 The offside flag is raised against Jan Vertonghen. Remy Vercoutre takes the free kick.
- 35:09 Anthony Reveillere gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Benoit Assou-Ekotto. Free kick taken by Gareth Bale, Centre by Mousa Dembele.
- 34:10 Maxime Gonalons gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Gareth Bale. Gareth Bale takes the free kick.
- 33:03 Bafetimbi Gomis challenges Benoit Assou-Ekotto unfairly and gives away a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Scott Parker.
- 31:59 Lisandro Lopez produces a right-footed shot from the edge of the box and misses to the left of the target.
- 28:02 Corner taken right-footed by Clement Grenier to the near post, clearance by Benoit Assou-Ekotto.
- 27:38 Outswinging corner taken by Clement Grenier from the right by-line, William Gallas makes a clearance.
- 26:50 Unfair challenge on Alexandre Lacazette by Benoit Assou-Ekotto results in a free kick. Clement Grenier crosses the ball from the free kick right-footed from right wing, Benoit Assou-Ekotto manages to make a clearance.
- 25:51 Unfair challenge on Milan Bisevac by Emmanuel Adebayor results in a free kick. Remy Vercoutre takes the free kick.
- 25:09 Shot from long range by Clement Grenier misses to the right of the goal.
- 23:47 Free kick taken by Lisandro Lopez.
- 23:47 Booking The referee books Kyle Walker for unsporting behaviour.
- 23:40 Foul by Kyle Walker on Samuel Umtiti, free kick awarded.
- 18:42 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Lisandro Lopez by Scott Parker. Free kick taken by Samuel Umtiti.
- 16:24 Assist on the goal came from Clement Grenier.
- 16:24 GOAL - Maxime Gonalons:Lyon 1 - 0 Tottenham Maxime Gonalons finds the back of the net with a headed goal from close range. Lyon 1 (2)-(2) 0 Tottenham.
- 15:38 Foul by Kyle Walker on Lisandro Lopez, free kick awarded. Centre by Clement Grenier,
- 14:57 Emmanuel Adebayor is flagged offside by the assistant referee. Remy Vercoutre takes the indirect free kick.
- 12:21 Free kick awarded for a foul by Benoit Assou-Ekotto on Alexandre Lacazette. Anthony Reveillere takes the free kick.
- 11:40 Foul by Alexandre Lacazette on Benoit Assou-Ekotto, free kick awarded. Brad Friedel takes the free kick.
- 10:18 The ball is swung over by Clement Grenier, Dejan Lovren takes a shot. Brad Friedel makes a comfortable save.
- 9:09 Foul by Kyle Walker on Lisandro Lopez, free kick awarded. Shot on goal comes in from Clement Grenier from the free kick.
- 8:29 Free kick awarded for a foul by Dejan Lovren on Lewis Holtby. Kyle Walker takes the direct free kick.
- 7:32 Alexandre Lacazette is caught offside. Brad Friedel restarts play with the free kick.
- 5:54 Samuel Umtiti challenges Kyle Walker unfairly and gives away a free kick. Gareth Bale delivers the ball, Headed effort from deep inside the penalty area by William Gallas goes harmlessly over the crossbar.
- 3:17 Long distance shot from Lisandro Lopez misses to the left of the net.
- 2:42 Corner taken by Clement Grenier from the right by-line, Emmanuel Adebayor makes a clearance.
- 2:16 The referee blows for offside against Bafetimbi Gomis. William Gallas takes the free kick.
- 1:05 Foul by Benoit Assou-Ekotto on Bafetimbi Gomis, free kick awarded. The free kick is delivered right-footed by Clement Grenier from right wing, Jan Vertonghen makes a clearance.
- 0:00 The match has kicked off.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.