West Ham 2 - 3 Tottenham
Gareth Bale continued his incredible scoring run with a stunning last-minute winner against West Ham to lift Tottenham to third in the table.
Bale gave his side the lead with a powerful strike before Hammers forward Andy Carroll won and scored a penalty.
On the 20th anniversary of Bobby Moore's death, Joe Cole put West Ham ahead with a low shot but Spurs drew level when Gylfi Sigurdsson poked home.
Bale sealed the points from long range with his eighth goal in six games.
It was another show-stopping performance from Tottenham's man of the moment after a string of superb saves from West Ham keeper Jussi Jaaskelainen looked certain to frustrate Spurs.
- Gareth Bale scored his 14th and 15th Premier League goals of the season, drawing level with Michu in the scoring charts. Only Robin van Persie (19) and Luis Suarez (18) have more.
- Bale scored his 10th and 11th PL away goals of the season - the outright most away goals of any player in the division.
- Bale has scored nine goals in eight PL matches since Christmas Day - more than any other PL player.
Picking up the ball in a central area some distance from goal, he worked it on to his favoured left foot and arrowed a drive, which dipped over Jaaskelainen's outstretched right hand and into the top corner.
The Welshman has now scored eight of his team's last 10 goals in all competitions and 19 in total this season.
Almost single-handedly he has lifted Spurs two points clear of fourth-placed Chelsea going into Sunday's crucial north London derby against Arsenal, who are a further two points back in fifth.
For the Hammers, Bale's strike was a devastating blow after a whole-hearted performance which did justice to the memory of England's World Cup-winning captain Moore.
Cole's goal gave them a 2-1 lead and had substitute Matt Taylor not been thwarted by Spurs keeper Hugo Lloris when through on goal it could have been a different story.
Before kick-off, the Upton Park crowd joined both sets of players in a minute's applause to pay tribute to Moore, who played more than 500 games for West Ham.
Hammers players warmed up in Moore number six shirts, a giant poster of the former defender was unfurled in the corner of the stadium before his three grandchildren placed the match ball on the spot.
Roared on by their impassioned fans, West Ham made the brighter start and Lloris had to make a sharp low save to keep out a shot from Matt Jarvis after neat interplay between Carroll and Cole.
But where there is Bale there is danger and the winger picked up the ball in a central position 25 yards from goal, pushed it past James Collins and lashed a left-footed shot past Jaaskelainen to give Spurs the lead.
West Ham drew level in the 25th minute after Scott Parker's lunging challenge took out Carroll's standing leg and referee Howard Webb pointed to the spot. The England striker rose to his feet and blasted the penalty into the roof of the net.
Spurs looked more likely to take the lead and West Ham were indebted to Jaaskelainen, who pulled off sharp saves either side of half-time to keep out goalbound headers from centre-back Steven Caulker.
Spurs manager Andre Villas-Boas introduced Sigurdsson and it almost paid instant dividends as the Icelander curled a shot on to the post from outside the area.
The rebound presented Emmanuel Adebayor with a golden chance, but his tame header gave Jaaskelainen a relatively straightforward save.
West Ham responded to the scare in devastating fashion by scoring from their next attack. Joey O'Brien's lofted pass from the left wing picked out Cole's run and the former England midfielder swivelled before firing off a left-footed effort which bobbled past Lloris and into the far corner.
Tottenham's quest for an equaliser was once again thwarted by the inspired form of Jaaskelainen, who palmed away yet another Caulker header from a corner before deploying all his athleticism to tip a fine curling effort from Bale over the bar.
Lloris pulled off a brilliant stop of his own as he raced off his line to deny Taylor and the miss proved costly to the Hammers as Spurs equalised.
West Ham's defence failed to clear a Bale free-kick from the right and the ball dribbled through to Sigurdsson who poked home at the far post.
A rampant Spurs continued to bombard the home side's goal only to be denied by a goalkeeper at the top of his game as Jaaskelainen tipped Sigurdsson's effort around the post and pushed aside a close-range header from Adebayor.
But just when both sides appeared to have settled for a draw, up stepped Bale to steal the stage.
West Ham manager Sam Allardyce:
"We made a terrific go of it. It was at a crucial stage when Matt Taylor got through one on one and their keeper made good save, we want to be scoring that.
"At 3-1 there is no way back for them.
"But I thought the lads caused them a lot of problems."
Live text and stats
Monday, 25 February 2013
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 22 Jaaskelainen
- 02 Reid
- 17 O'Brien
- 19 Collins yellow card
- 20 Demel (Pogatetz 72)
- 04 Nolan (Taylor 35)
- 07 Jarvis
- 21 Diame yellow card (Collison 84)
- 26 J Cole yellow card
- 32 O'Neil yellow card
- 08 Carroll
- 25 Lloris
- 05 Vertonghen
- 20 Dawson
- 28 Walker
- 33 Caulker
- 07 Lennon
- 08 Parker (Livermore 88)
- 11 Bale
- 23 Holtby (Sigurdsson 56)
- 10 Adebayor
- 19 Dembele yellow card (Carroll 75)
- West Ham 38%
- Tottenham 62%
Attempts on target
- West Ham 6
- Tottenham 16
Attempts off target
- West Ham 2
- Tottenham 9
- West Ham 6
- Tottenham 12
- West Ham 12
- Tottenham 7
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+4:50 The match has reached full-time.
- 89:43 Tom Carroll provided the assist for the goal.
- 89:43 GOAL - Gareth Bale:West Ham 2 - 3 Tottenham Gareth Bale finds the back of the net with a goal from outside the area to the top right corner of the goal. West Ham 2-3 Tottenham.
- 87:22 Substitution Jake Livermore comes on in place of Scott Parker.
- 87:22 Shot from deep inside the area by Andy Carroll goes over the bar.
- 85:22 Gylfi Sigurdsson challenges Gary O'Neil unfairly and gives away a free kick. James Collins restarts play with the free kick.
- 82:34 Indirect free kick taken by James Collins.
- 82:34 Substitution Mohamed Diame goes off and Jack Collison comes on.
- 82:34 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Matthew Jarvis by Gylfi Sigurdsson.
- 82:17 Jan Vertonghen takes a shot. Blocked by Joey O'Brien.
- 81:52 Gareth Bale takes the free kick.
- 81:52 Booking James Collins goes into the book.
- 81:45 Foul by James Collins on Gareth Bale, free kick awarded.
- 80:50 Emmanuel Adebayor takes a shot. Save by Jussi Jaaskelainen.
- 80:03 Gareth Bale takes a shot. Save made by Jussi Jaaskelainen.
- 75:26 The assist for the goal came from Steven Caulker.
- 75:26 GOAL - Gylfi Sigurdsson:West Ham 2 - 2 Tottenham Goal scored by Gylfi Sigurdsson from inside the six-yard box to the bottom left corner of the goal. West Ham 2-2 Tottenham.
- 74:09 The ball is sent over by Gareth Bale,
- 74:09 Substitution Mousa Dembele leaves the field to be replaced by Tom Carroll.
- 74:09 Free kick awarded for a foul by Emanuel Pogatetz on Gareth Bale.
- 73:54 Winston Reid gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Emmanuel Adebayor. Emmanuel Adebayor takes the indirect free kick.
- 73:39 Matthew Taylor takes a shot. Save made by Hugo Lloris.
- 72:04 Andy Carroll takes a shot. Save by Hugo Lloris.
- 71:19 Substitution Emanuel Pogatetz is brought on as a substitute for Guy Demel.
- 70:26 Direct effort from the free kick comes in from Gareth Bale.
- 70:26 Booking Gary O'Neil receives a yellow card for unsporting behaviour.
- 70:07 Free kick awarded for a foul by Gary O'Neil on Gareth Bale.
- 69:06 Shot by Scott Parker from outside the box goes high over the target.
- 68:52 Inswinging corner taken from the left by-line by Gareth Bale.
- 68:29 Gareth Bale takes a shot from 18 yards. Save by Jussi Jaaskelainen.
- 66:41 Gylfi Sigurdsson takes a shot. Blocked by Mohamed Diame. Corner from the right by-line taken by Gareth Bale, Steven Caulker takes a shot. Save by Jussi Jaaskelainen. Inswinging corner taken by Gareth Bale, save made by Jussi Jaaskelainen.
- 63:08 Andy Carroll concedes a free kick for a foul on Michael Dawson. Free kick taken by Michael Dawson.
- 61:42 Direct effort from the free kick comes in from Gareth Bale.
- 61:42 Booking Mohamed Diame booked.
- 61:37 Unfair challenge on Gareth Bale by Mohamed Diame results in a free kick.
- 60:55 Corner from the right by-line taken by Gareth Bale, Matthew Taylor makes a clearance.
- 60:27 Corner taken by Gareth Bale from the right by-line, clearance by Guy Demel.
- 59:25 Booking Joe Cole goes into the book for unsporting behaviour.
- 57:48 Assist by Joey O'Brien.
- 57:48 GOAL - Joe Cole:West Ham 2 - 1 Tottenham Joe Cole scores a goal from close in to the bottom right corner of the goal. West Ham 2-1 Tottenham.
- 56:32 Gylfi Sigurdsson takes a shot from 25 yards. Save by Jussi Jaaskelainen. Emmanuel Adebayor takes a shot. Save made by Jussi Jaaskelainen.
- 55:32 Substitution Gylfi Sigurdsson comes on in place of Lewis Holtby.
- 54:22 Inswinging corner taken from the right by-line by Matthew Taylor, Gareth Bale manages to make a clearance.
- 51:07 Corner from the right by-line taken by Matthew Taylor, Gareth Bale manages to make a clearance.
- 48:49 Mousa Dembele gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Joe Cole. The free kick is swung in left-footed by Matthew Taylor, save by Jussi Jaaskelainen.
- 46:46 Corner taken by Gareth Bale from the left by-line, Steven Caulker takes a shot. Jussi Jaaskelainen makes a save.
- 45:01 The second half kicks off.
- Half Time
- 45:00+2:45 The players leave the pitch at half time.
- 45:00+1:29 James Collins challenges Lewis Holtby unfairly and gives away a free kick. Gareth Bale produces a shot on goal direct from the free kick.
- 45:00+0:08 Outswinging corner taken right-footed by Joe Cole from the right by-line, clearance by Gareth Bale.
- 44:33 Corner taken by Gareth Bale from the right by-line, clearance by Winston Reid.
- 43:52 Inswinging corner taken by Gareth Bale from the right by-line, Lewis Holtby takes a shot. Blocked by James Collins.
- 43:24 Outswinging corner taken from the left by-line by Gareth Bale, Steven Caulker takes a shot. Save made by Jussi Jaaskelainen.
- 43:09 Lewis Holtby takes a shot. James Collins gets a block in.
- 42:27 Gary O'Neil gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Jan Vertonghen. Indirect free kick taken by Kyle Walker.
- 41:29 Joe Cole takes the outswinging corner, Scott Parker manages to make a clearance.
- 40:47 Effort from outside the box by Mohamed Diame goes wide right of the target.
- 38:41 Corner taken right-footed by Matthew Taylor from the right by-line, save made by Hugo Lloris.
- 38:28 Matthew Jarvis takes a shot. Blocked by Kyle Walker.
- 36:54 Mousa Dembele challenges Mohamed Diame unfairly and gives away a free kick. Gary O'Neil takes the indirect free kick.
- 35:48 Matthew Taylor is caught offside. Indirect free kick taken by Hugo Lloris.
- 34:24 Gareth Bale takes the indirect free kick.
- 34:24 Substitution (West Ham) makes a substitution, with Matthew Taylor coming on for Kevin Nolan.
- 34:24 Free kick awarded for a foul by James Collins on Emmanuel Adebayor.
- 33:10 Effort on goal by Gareth Bale from 12 yards. Save made by Jussi Jaaskelainen.
- 27:00 Emmanuel Adebayor is flagged offside by the assistant referee. Indirect free kick taken by Joey O'Brien.
- 26:42 Andy Carroll concedes a free kick for a foul on Jan Vertonghen. Indirect free kick taken by Hugo Lloris.
- 26:02 The referee blows for offside. Indirect free kick taken by Jussi Jaaskelainen.
- 24:59 GOAL - Andy Carroll:West Ham 1 - 1 Tottenham Penalty taken left-footed by Andy Carroll and scored. West Ham 1-1 Tottenham.
- 24:59 Andy Carroll fouled by Scott Parker, the ref awards a Penalty.
- Correction - 23:30 Gareth Bale takes a shot. Comfortable save by Jussi Jaaskelainen.
- 23:30 Gareth Bale takes a shot. Save by Jussi Jaaskelainen.
- 22:22 Kyle Walker has a shot and went wide right of the goal.
- 22:05 Gareth Bale takes a short corner.
- 21:28 Outswinging corner taken by Gareth Bale, clearance made by Guy Demel.
- 20:22 Foul by Matthew Jarvis on Lewis Holtby, free kick awarded. Jan Vertonghen takes the indirect free kick.
- 18:10 Inswinging corner taken by Joe Cole.
- 16:32 Emmanuel Adebayor concedes a free kick for a foul on Joey O'Brien. Jussi Jaaskelainen restarts play with the free kick.
- 15:38 The official flags Joe Cole offside. Free kick taken by Jan Vertonghen.
- 14:55 Kyle Walker takes a shot from just outside the penalty area clears the crossbar.
- 14:24 Corner taken by Gareth Bale, clearance by Andy Carroll.
- 12:38 GOAL - Gareth Bale:West Ham 0 - 1 Tottenham A goal is scored by Gareth Bale from the edge of the area to the bottom right corner of the goal. West Ham 0-1 Tottenham.
- 11:55 Aaron Lennon takes a shot. James Collins gets a block in.
- 9:50 Matthew Jarvis takes a shot. Fantastic save by Hugo Lloris.
- 8:39 Mohamed Diame takes a shot. Hugo Lloris makes a comfortable save.
- 6:58 Indirect free kick taken by Joey O'Brien.
- 6:58 Booking The referee shows Mousa Dembele a yellow card.
- 6:51 Mousa Dembele concedes a free kick for a foul on Kevin Nolan.
- 4:37 Gareth Bale produces a left-footed shot from the edge of the box and misses to the left of the target.
- 0:02 Andy Carroll concedes a free kick for a foul on Michael Dawson. Hugo Lloris restarts play with the free kick.
- 0:00 The referee gets the game started.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
CommentsJump to comments pagination
Comment number 563.Chappers-1882
27th February 2013 - 17:47
Comment number 562.DrCajetanCoelho
27th February 2013 - 7:17
Comment number 561.James_AFC
26th February 2013 - 22:57
Comment number 560.glen
26th February 2013 - 22:41
Comment number 559.glen
26th February 2013 - 22:28