AC Milan 2 - 0 Barcelona
Goals from Kevin-Prince Boateng and Sulley Muntari gave AC Milan victory over Barcelona and a huge chance of making the Champions League last eight.
The Rossoneri defended in numbers and the two former Portsmouth players struck twice in the second half.
Boateng turned and fired in following a free-kick, before Muntari's close-range volley nine minutes from time.
Andres Iniesta fizzed a shot off target as Champions League favourites Barca had a subdued night.
Kings of Europe
- AC Milan have won the European Cup or Champions League seven times - in 1963, 1969, 1989, 1990, 1994, 2003 and 2007.
- Only Real Madrid, with nine triumphs, have won it more times than Milan.
- Striker Filippo Inzaghi scored twice the last time they won a final, beating Liverpool 2-1 in Athens.
- Barcelona have won the competition four times - in 1992, 2006, 2009 and 2011.
- Their last triumph was also against English opposition, with a 3-1 victory over Manchester United at Wembley.
Carles Puyol also headed wide following Muntari's first Champions League goal, but chances were only occasional for stand-in coach Jordi Roura's side as they slipped to their third defeat of the season.
It was a tactical masterclass by the hosts, who sprung a surprise result based on a tight, disciplined display in the first period but became more expansive after the break.
That said, Barcelona, who are top of La Liga by 12 points, lacked their usual creativity. Lionel Messi was only involved sporadically, and they paid for continually attempting to cut through the heart of the Milan defence.
The Italian club's excellent central midfielders, Riccardo Montolivo and Massimo Ambrosini, ensured that path was closed, and the win gives Milan a great opportunity to avenge last season's Champions League quarter-final defeat by Barcelona.
Back then, the two teams shared a 0-0 draw at the San Siro before the Catalans won 3-1 in the second leg, and on this evidence the four-time European Cup champions will need to significantly raise their game to get a repeat result at Nou Camp on 12 March.
The Spanish side barely mustered a chance in the first period as Massimiliano Allegri's Milan team worked tirelessly in midfield to shut down space and prevent the likes of Messi and Iniesta navigating through them.
When Messi did carve out some space on the edge of the box with some fine footwork, his shot was quickly blocked, while Xavi was limited to a long-range effort.
The best opportunities in a cagey first half went to Milan. Stephan El Shaarawy bore down on goal after a clever touch from Boateng but the Italian over-ran the ball, with Puyol seeing it out of play.
Boateng then clipped the resulting corner just wide of Victor Valdes's left post in front of an expectant home crowd.
Barcelona's domination of possession continued until after the break when the San Siro exploded into life as Boateng struck. The lively El Shaarawy drew a foul 30 yards out and when Montolivo fired in the free-kick, the ball hit Cristian Zapata on the edge of the box, allowing Boateng to swivel and drill in his left-footed shot.
Barcelona complained that the ball had hit Zapata's arm, but it had cannoned off Jordi Alba before it hit the AC Milan player.
The goal gave the Rossoneri added purpose and Giampaolo Pazzini hooked in a shot as the game became more even.
Milan were content to defend the width of the 18-yard box and Barca had few efforts on goal, save for Iniesta's fizzing shot which whistled past the post with 15 minutes left.
Muntari's goal then almost took the roof off after Milan broke down the right. El Shaarawy lifted the ball to the back post and his Ghanaian team-mate made no mistake with his left-foot strike.
Live text and stats
Wednesday, 20 February 2013
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 32 Abbiati
- 05 Mexes yellow card
- 17 Zapata
- 04 Muntari
- 10 Boateng
- 18 Montolivo
- 20 Abate
- 21 Constant
- 23 Ambrosini
- 92 El Shaarawy (Traore 88 yellow card)
- 11 Pazzini (Niang 75)
- 01 Amelia,
- 02 De Sciglio,
- 76 Yepes,
- 12 Traore,
- 36 Christante,
- 19 Niang,
- 22 Bojan
- 01 Valdes
- 02 Alves
- 03 Pique yellow card
- 05 Puyol (Mascherano 88)
- 18 Alba
- 04 Fabregas (Sanchez 62)
- 06 Xavi
- 08 Iniesta
- 10 Messi
- 16 Busquets yellow card
- 17 Pedro
- 13 Pinto,
- 19 Montoya,
- 11 Thiago,
- 14 Mascherano,
- 25 Song,
- 09 Sanchez,
- 37 Cristian Tello
- AC Milan 33%
- Barcelona 67%
Attempts on target
- AC Milan 4
- Barcelona 3
Attempts off target
- AC Milan 2
- Barcelona 4
- AC Milan 3
- Barcelona 4
- AC Milan 17
- Barcelona 10
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+5:11 The match has reached full-time.
- 90:00+4:28 Da Silva Dani Alves sends in a cross, save by Christian Abbiati.
- 90:00+2:46 Kevin-Prince Boateng gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Andres Iniesta. Direct free kick taken by Hernandez Xavi.
- 90:00+1:34 Ignazio Abate challenges Rodriguez Pedro unfairly and gives away a free kick. Rodriguez Pedro takes the direct free kick.
- 90:00+0:52 Free kick taken by da Silva Dani Alves.
- 90:00+0:52 Booking Bakaye Traore goes into the referee's book for unsporting behaviour.
- 90:00+0:47 Javier Mascherano fouled by Bakaye Traore, the ref awards a free kick.
- 89:31 M'Baye Niang challenges Javier Mascherano unfairly and gives away a free kick. Javier Mascherano takes the direct free kick.
- 87:40 Substitution Javier Mascherano on for Carles Puyol.
- 87:09 Substitution Bakaye Traore is brought on as a substitute for Stephan El Shaarawy.
- 86:06 Corner taken right-footed by Hernandez Xavi from the left by-line, Header by Carles Puyol from deep inside the penalty area misses to the left of the target.
- 80:09 Assist by Stephan El Shaarawy.
- 80:09 GOAL - Sulley Muntari:AC Milan 2 - 0 Barcelona Sulley Muntari finds the net with a goal from inside the penalty box to the bottom right corner of the goal. AC Milan 2-0 Barcelona.
- 78:04 Ignazio Abate gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Alexis Sanchez. Strike comes in from Hernandez Xavi from the free kick.
- 77:13 Stephan El Shaarawy is flagged offside by the assistant referee. Gerard Pique takes the direct free kick.
- 76:42 Stephan El Shaarawy takes a inswinging corner to the near post.
- 75:52 Effort from outside the penalty box by Andres Iniesta goes wide right of the target.
- 73:46 Riccardo Montolivo restarts play with the free kick.
- 73:46 Substitution (AC Milan) makes a substitution, with M'Baye Niang coming on for Giampaolo Pazzini.
- 73:46 Unfair challenge on Kevin-Prince Boateng by Ramos Jordi Alba results in a free kick.
- 71:05 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Sergio Busquets by Massimo Ambrosini. Direct free kick taken by da Silva Dani Alves.
- 68:52 Giampaolo Pazzini produces a overhead kick right-footed shot from 18 yards. Victor Valdes makes a comfortable save.
- 68:39 Corner taken by Riccardo Montolivo from the right by-line.
- 65:01 Giampaolo Pazzini gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Carles Puyol. Sergio Busquets takes the free kick.
- 63:42 Da Silva Dani Alves delivers the ball, clearance by Ignazio Abate.
- 61:20 Lionel Messi has an effort direct from the free kick.
- 61:20 Substitution Alexis Sanchez replaces Francesc Fabregas.
- 61:20 Massimo Ambrosini gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Francesc Fabregas.
- 60:15 Massimo Ambrosini concedes a free kick for a foul on Hernandez Xavi. Direct free kick taken by Victor Valdes.
- 59:16 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Giampaolo Pazzini by Carles Puyol. Direct free kick taken by Massimo Ambrosini.
- 56:50 Booking Gerard Pique receives a yellow card.
- 56:01 The assist for the goal came from Cristian Zapata.
- 56:01 GOAL - Kevin-Prince Boateng:AC Milan 1 - 0 Barcelona Goal scored by Kevin-Prince Boateng from just inside the penalty area to the bottom right corner of the goal. AC Milan 1-0 Barcelona.
- 55:57 Riccardo Montolivo takes the chance to get an effort at goal. Blocked by Ramos Jordi Alba.
- 55:12 Foul by da Silva Dani Alves on Stephan El Shaarawy, free kick awarded. Kevin Constant takes the direct free kick.
- 54:53 Foul by Giampaolo Pazzini on Carles Puyol, free kick awarded. Victor Valdes restarts play with the free kick.
- 53:59 Philippe Mexes takes the direct free kick.
- 53:59 Booking Sergio Busquets goes into the referee's book for unsporting behaviour.
- 53:26 Unfair challenge on Giampaolo Pazzini by Sergio Busquets results in a free kick.
- 53:10 Unfair challenge on Andres Iniesta by Ignazio Abate results in a free kick. Francesc Fabregas restarts play with the free kick.
- 52:15 Kevin-Prince Boateng concedes a free kick for a foul on Ramos Jordi Alba. Free kick taken by Ramos Jordi Alba.
- 48:22 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Andres Iniesta by Kevin-Prince Boateng. Francesc Fabregas takes the free kick.
- 45:56 The ball is crossed by Kevin-Prince Boateng.
- 45:01 The referee gets the second half started.
- Half Time
- 45:00+0:31 The half-time whistle blows.
- 44:57 The ball is delivered by Ignazio Abate, save by Victor Valdes.
- 43:31 The ball is swung over by da Silva Dani Alves, Massimo Ambrosini makes a clearance.
- 39:47 Kevin Constant fouled by Lionel Messi, the ref awards a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Philippe Mexes.
- 36:56 Outswinging corner taken right-footed by Hernandez Xavi from the right by-line, Carles Puyol concedes a free kick for a foul on Cristian Zapata. Christian Abbiati restarts play with the free kick.
- 36:41 The ball is crossed by da Silva Dani Alves, Philippe Mexes makes a clearance.
- 35:16 A cross is delivered by Cristian Zapata, clearance made by Carles Puyol.
- 34:14 Sergio Busquets gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Sulley Muntari. The free kick is delivered right-footed by Riccardo Montolivo from left wing, clearance by Francesc Fabregas.
- 31:59 The referee blows for offside against da Silva Dani Alves. Christian Abbiati takes the free kick.
- 24:33 Direct free kick taken by Sergio Busquets.
- 24:33 Booking Philippe Mexes receives a caution.
- 24:14 Foul by Philippe Mexes on Lionel Messi, free kick awarded.
- 22:54 Free kick awarded for a foul by Francesc Fabregas on Kevin-Prince Boateng. Direct free kick taken by Cristian Zapata.
- 20:57 Stephan El Shaarawy is caught offside. Gerard Pique takes the indirect free kick.
- 19:02 Hernandez Xavi takes the chance to get an effort at goal. Save by Christian Abbiati.
- 18:33 Kevin-Prince Boateng produces a cross, Victor Valdes makes a save.
- 16:13 Massimo Ambrosini challenges da Silva Dani Alves unfairly and gives away a free kick. Hernandez Xavi takes the direct free kick.
- 15:26 Short corner worked by Stephan El Shaarawy, Effort on goal by Kevin-Prince Boateng from inside the box misses to the right of the target.
- 14:00 Free kick awarded for a foul by Andres Iniesta on Kevin-Prince Boateng. Cristian Zapata takes the direct free kick.
- 12:06 Sergio Busquets gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Riccardo Montolivo. Free kick taken by Sulley Muntari.
- 11:34 The assistant referee signals for offside against Rodriguez Pedro. Free kick taken by Christian Abbiati.
- 11:06 Centre by da Silva Dani Alves, clearance by Philippe Mexes.
- 10:15 The official flags Stephan El Shaarawy offside. Indirect free kick taken by Gerard Pique.
- 9:41 Inswinging corner taken right-footed by Hernandez Xavi from the left by-line to the near post, Gerard Pique takes a shot. Blocked by Philippe Mexes.
- 9:18 Hernandez Xavi takes a inswinging corner from the left by-line played to the near post, clearance by Massimo Ambrosini.
- 9:05 Lionel Messi takes a shot. Cristian Zapata gets a block in.
- 8:43 The ball is crossed by Ramos Jordi Alba, Philippe Mexes manages to make a clearance.
- 7:10 Free kick awarded for a foul by Riccardo Montolivo on Francesc Fabregas. Direct free kick taken by Ramos Jordi Alba.
- 6:18 The offside flag is raised against Stephan El Shaarawy. Gerard Pique takes the indirect free kick.
- 5:34 Kevin-Prince Boateng gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Lionel Messi. Andres Iniesta takes the free kick.
- 4:26 Sulley Muntari produces a left-footed shot from long range that goes harmlessly over the bar.
- 0:00 The referee starts the match.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.