Schalke grabbed a valuable away goal at Galatasaray as they drew the first leg of their last-16 Champions League tie.
The Turkish side took an early lead through leading striker Burak Yilmaz, who smashed his effort past Timo Hildebrand from just inside the area.
But shortly before half-time, the Bundesliga visitors levelled when Jermaine Jones thrashed in following a brilliant counter-attack.
The home side went close to a when Hamit Altintop's strike struck the bar.
- USA player Jermaine Jones scored his second Champions League goal. His first came in 2007, when he carried German citizenship
The Turkey international midfielder was one of the better Galatasaray players, while former Chelsea striker Didier Drogba and goalscorer Burak combined well in attack.
Fatih Terim's side began well but faded in the second half, whereas Schalke boss Jens Keller, whose side is struggling in the German league, will have been delighted with the performance of his men.
The ex-Schalke defender would not have been impressed with the way his side began though.
Dany Nounkeu fired in a fierce shot for the hosts, which Hildebrand had to palm away, but the visitors did not hold out for long and their defence was breached with just over 10 minutes played.
Drogba, Chelsea's hero in the penalty shoot-out in last year's final, was the catalyst. The Ivorian found Selcuk Inan who in turn played the ball to Burak. Galatasaray's top marksman flicked the ball over his head, outwitting the defence in the process, before emphatically firing the ball past Hildebrand.
It was Burak's seventh goal in the Champions League this season - Galatasaray have only scored eight in total.
Istanbul's premier side should have added a second soon after when Drogba's firm strike, from the angle, was pushed into the path of Altintop, who arrived like an express train but smashed the rebound onto the bar.
At 2-0 down Schalke might have found their task too difficult at the intimidating Ali Sami Yen, but instead their lucky escape sparked them into life.
Semih Kaya caused his Galatasaray team-mates' hearts to skip a beat when he almost turned Jefferson Farfan's cutback into his own net.
But the hosts luck was out when a mix-up between Brazilian Felipe Melo and Cameroon's Nounkeu led to a rapid break which ended with Farfan laying a square ball into the path of Jones, and the ex-Blackburn player finished with a firm shot past Fernando Muslera.
There were fewer chances after the break, with a poor pitch not helping the players' cause.
Netherlands forward Huntelaar should have kept his shot low when he connected with a pass from Julian Draxler, who then fancied his own chances, but drilled a shot a foot wide of the post.
Galatasaray barely had a sniff, although Burak was unlucky to see his firm, angled drive from Drogba's nod-down miss the Schalke upright by inches.
Live text and stats
Wednesday, 20 February 2013
- Galatasaray 46%
- Schalke 04 54%
Attempts on target
- Galatasaray 5
- Schalke 04 6
Attempts off target
- Galatasaray 4
- Schalke 04 8
- Galatasaray 3
- Schalke 04 6
- Galatasaray 12
- Schalke 04 11
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+2:58 The referee brings the game to a close.
- 90:00+0:56 De Carvalho Felipe Melo concedes a free kick for a foul on Marco Hoger. Free kick taken by Joel Matip.
- 89:45 Fernando Muslera takes the direct free kick.
- 89:45 Booking Selcuk Inan is shown a yellow card.
- 89:24 Sead Kolasinac gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Selcuk Inan.
- 87:22 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Jermaine Jones by Dany Nounkeu. Benedikt Howedes takes the free kick.
- 86:34 Selcuk Inan restarts play with the free kick.
- 86:34 Booking Marco Hoger goes into the book for unsporting behaviour.
- 86:33 Nordin Amrabat fouled by Marco Hoger, the ref awards a free kick.
- 84:16 Joel Matip fouled by Burak Yilmaz, the ref awards a free kick. Free kick taken by Sead Kolasinac.
- 83:39 Substitution Julian Draxler goes off and Tranquillo Barnetta comes on.
- 83:08 Substitution Umut Bulut replaces Sabri Sarioglu.
- 80:35 Roman Neustadter challenges Albert Riera unfairly and gives away a free kick. Albert Riera takes the free kick.
- 79:10 Julian Draxler produces a right-footed shot from just outside the penalty box that misses to the left of the target.
- 78:47 Corner taken right-footed by Selcuk Inan, Timo Hildebrand makes a save.
- 78:32 Sabri Sarioglu takes a shot. Save by Timo Hildebrand.
- 77:51 Didier Drogba restarts play with the free kick.
- 77:51 Booking Caution for Sead Kolasinac.
- 77:50 Sead Kolasinac concedes a free kick for a foul on Emmanuel Eboue.
- 76:55 Effort from deep inside the area by Burak Yilmaz misses to the left of the goal.
- 75:36 A cross is delivered by Emmanuel Eboue.
- 74:23 Substitution Klaas-Jan Huntelaar leaves the field to be replaced by Teemu Pukki.
- 74:07 Effort from deep inside the area by Klaas-Jan Huntelaar clears the bar.
- 73:49 The ball is crossed by Jermaine Jones, Dany Nounkeu manages to make a clearance.
- 72:44 Unfair challenge on Selcuk Inan by Fernandes Michel Bastos results in a free kick. Sabri Sarioglu takes the direct free kick.
- 70:41 Corner taken by Selcuk Inan from the left by-line to the near post.
- 67:11 Free kick crossed by Fernandes Michel Bastos, clearance by Semih Kaya.
- 67:11 Booking Booking for Dany Nounkeu.
- 67:06 Dany Nounkeu challenges Klaas-Jan Huntelaar unfairly and gives away a free kick.
- 65:14 Substitution Emmanuel Eboue comes on in place of Hamit Altintop.
- 64:52 Burak Yilmaz is ruled offside. Timo Hildebrand takes the free kick.
- 63:34 Fernandes Michel Bastos has an effort at goal from outside the box which goes wide left of the goal.
- 58:20 Unfair challenge on Sead Kolasinac by De Carvalho Felipe Melo results in a free kick. Jefferson Farfan crosses the ball in
from the free kick, save by Timo Hildebrand.
- 57:04 Fernandes Michel Bastos challenges Albert Riera unfairly and gives away a free kick. The free kick is swung in right-footed
by Selcuk Inan, save made by Timo Hildebrand.
- 55:33 Inswinging corner taken from the right by-line by Fernandes Michel Bastos.
- 54:22 Jefferson Farfan takes a shot. Blocked by Sabri Sarioglu.
- 52:32 The assistant referee signals for offside against Fernandes Michel Bastos. Indirect free kick taken by Sabri Sarioglu.
- 50:59 Nordin Amrabat delivers the ball, Joel Matip manages to make a clearance.
- 50:20 The ball is sent over by Albert Riera, Timo Hildebrand makes a save.
- 47:31 The free kick is delivered right-footed by Jefferson Farfan from right wing, clearance by Selcuk Inan.
- 47:31 Booking Nordin Amrabat goes into the referee's book.
- 47:30 Free kick awarded for a foul by Nordin Amrabat on Jefferson Farfan.
- 47:03 The ball is delivered by Selcuk Inan, save made by Timo Hildebrand.
- 46:05 Julian Draxler takes a inswinging corner to the near post, clearance made by Sabri Sarioglu.
- 45:01 The referee gets the second half underway.
- 45:01 Substitution Wesley Sneijder goes off and Nordin Amrabat comes on.
- Half Time
- 45:00+2:04 The referee blows for half time.
- 45:00+0:40 Free kick awarded for a foul by Benedikt Howedes on Selcuk Inan. Didier Drogba has a direct shot on goal from the free kick,
save by Timo Hildebrand.
- 44:11 The assist for the goal came from Jefferson Farfan.
- 44:11 GOAL - Jermaine Jones:Galatasaray 1 - 1 Schalke 04 Jermaine Jones gets on the score sheet with a goal from inside the area high into the middle of the goal. Galatasaray 1-1
- 42:27 Hamit Altintop gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Fernandes Michel Bastos. The free kick is delivered right-footed
by Jefferson Farfan from right wing, Albert Riera manages to make a clearance.
- 37:47 Corner taken right-footed by Wesley Sneijder from the left by-line to the near post, clearance by Klaas-Jan Huntelaar.
- 37:33 Burak Yilmaz takes a shot. Save by Timo Hildebrand.
- 34:43 Jermaine Jones fouled by De Carvalho Felipe Melo, the ref awards a free kick. Jefferson Farfan takes the direct free kick,
Centre by Burak Yilmaz, Dany Nounkeu manages to make a clearance.
- 34:43 Booking Jermaine Jones receives a yellow card for dissent.
- 32:44 Hamit Altintop sends in a cross, clearance by Benedikt Howedes.
- 29:30 Corner taken by Jefferson Farfan played to the near post.
- 28:12 Unfair challenge on Jefferson Farfan by Albert Riera results in a free kick. Fernandes Michel Bastos has an effort direct
from the free kick.
- 26:25 Shot on goal by Jefferson Farfan from inside the box goes harmlessly over the target.
- 26:11 Klaas-Jan Huntelaar takes a shot. Blocked by Semih Kaya.
- 25:05 Wesley Sneijder has an effort at goal from outside the box missing to the wide left of the goal.
- 22:42 Roman Neustadter gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on De Carvalho Felipe Melo. Selcuk Inan takes the free kick.
- 20:21 Fernandes Michel Bastos takes a shot. Blocked by Dany Nounkeu.
- 19:51 Outswinging corner taken by Jefferson Farfan.
- 18:30 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Fernandes Michel Bastos by Semih Kaya. Direct free kick taken by Joel Matip.
- 17:41 Shot by Didier Drogba. Save made by Timo Hildebrand. Benedikt Howedes takes a shot.
- 16:58 Fernando Muslera takes the indirect free kick.
- 16:58 Booking The referee cautions Fernando Muslera for dissent.
- 16:31 The assistant referee flags for offside against Klaas-Jan Huntelaar.
- 15:57 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Hamit Altintop by Fernandes Michel Bastos. Free kick taken by Wesley Sneijder.
- 15:06 Outswinging corner taken by Jefferson Farfan from the right by-line, Benedikt Howedes has a headed effort at goal from close
range which goes wide left of the target.
- 14:46 Klaas-Jan Huntelaar takes a shot. Dany Nounkeu makes a clearance.
- 14:26 Outswinging corner taken by Fernandes Michel Bastos from the left by-line, Fernando Muslera makes a save.
- 14:16 The ball is crossed by Fernandes Michel Bastos, Sabri Sarioglu manages to make a clearance.
- 13:57 Didier Drogba produces a cross, Benedikt Howedes manages to make a clearance.
- 13:37 Unfair challenge on Semih Kaya by Klaas-Jan Huntelaar results in a free kick. Semih Kaya restarts play with the free kick.
- 11:57 GOAL - Burak Yilmaz:Galatasaray 1 - 0 Schalke 04 Burak Yilmaz finds the net with a goal from deep inside the penalty box high into the middle of the goal. Galatasaray 1-0
- 11:31 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Joel Matip by Burak Yilmaz. Free kick taken by Timo Hildebrand.
- 9:49 The ball is sent over by Marco Hoger, save by Fernando Muslera.
- 6:48 Foul by Klaas-Jan Huntelaar on Wesley Sneijder, free kick awarded. Direct free kick taken by Semih Kaya.
- 3:56 Sabri Sarioglu challenges Fernandes Michel Bastos unfairly and gives away a free kick. Joel Matip takes the free kick.
- 3:48 Centre by Albert Riera.
- 2:33 Shot from just outside the box by Semih Kaya goes over the crossbar.
- 1:56 Burak Yilmaz produces a left-footed shot from just outside the box that goes wide right of the goal.
- 0:57 Klaas-Jan Huntelaar takes a shot. Fernando Muslera makes a save.
- 0:42 Jermaine Jones takes a shot. Save by Fernando Muslera.
- 0:00 The match has kicked off.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.