Everton 3 - 1 Oldham
Everton brought League One Oldham's FA Cup run to an end as the Premier League side showed their superiority to earn a last-eight tie against Wigan.
Kevin Mirallas guided in Darron Gibson's cross to put Everton ahead.
The hosts had two scares when Jose Baxter hit the post and Gibson handled in his own area, but Leighton Baines later converted from the spot.
Leon Osman nodded in Steven Pienaar's cross and despite a towering header from Matt Smith, Oldham fell short.
Having beaten Liverpool in the fourth round, and earned the replay with Everton via a stoppage-time Smith header earlier this month, the Latics could not contain opponents who sit 58 places above them in the league ladder.
Victory for Everton came as a result of more incisive attacking play in the final third and it ended a sticky period as they claimed their first win in five league and cup games.
It keeps manager David Moyes's quest for a first trophy in his 11 years at the club alive, having guided Everton to last year's semi-finals and the final in 2009.
Contrastingly for Oldham caretaker boss Tony Philliskirk, this was his first defeat during his five-game period in charge.
Although there are uncertainties surrounding Moyes's position as he delays a decision about his future until the end of the season, this was a display which could further help Philliskirk's cause to make his position permanent.
Despite going into the break two goals behind, Oldham were certainly not outclassed. Everton simply passed the ball better and were quick to get it wide as they created the majority of the chances.
In addition to his penalty, Baines also had a shot tipped around the post by Oldham goalkeeper Dean Bouzanis, while centre-back James Tarkowski was fortunate not to concede a spot kick when he pulled Nikica Jelavic's shirt.
If anything, Everton were perhaps guilty of not testing Bouzanis more, but in deciding to pass rather than shoot in the build-up to the opener, Gibson made the right decision.
When the ball was recycled back to the Republic of Ireland international on the right, he crossed for Mirallas to meet on the half-volley for a cute finish.
Everton go clear of Oldham
This win now puts Everton in front on their head-to-head record with Oldham. They have won 15 to the Latics' 14 of their 42 games spread over 105 years
Former Everton youth-team player Baxter had impressed in Oldham's FA Cup run this season, and he almost made it a sweet homecoming when he struck the post moments later, while Gibson was fortunate when Phil Jagielka smacked a clearance straight into the midfielder's arms.
Referee Michael Oliver was close at hand to wave Oldham appeals away but had little hesitation in pointing to the spot when the ball struck Brown's arm following a right-wing cross. Baines stepped up to fire under Bouzanis for his seventh goal of the season.
Moyes's side could have gone further in front following the restart but when they did, it was actually Oldham who were in the ascendancy.
Smith, who scored twice against Liverpool in the previous round, came on for Chris Iwelumo and climbed highest from a corner to head in.
Unfortunately, Everton had already added a third by that stage, Bouzanis misjudging Osman's flicked header following Pienaar's left-wing cross.
Gibson could have made the margin greater and although the scoreline was a fair reflection of the game, Oldham will now turn their attentions to widening a one-point gap above the League One relegation zone.
Everton assistant manager Steve Round:
"I thought Oldham put a right shift in and pushed us all the way. They were a credit to the manager and to themselves. I thought they really acquitted themselves right and made it very tough.
"Having said that, I think we matched them for the attitude and then your quality comes through at the end. You saw that with one or two of the goals that we scored and unfortunately we missed a couple of chances to maybe make it a bit more clear-cut."
Oldham caretaker boss Tony Philliskirk:
"My feeling is one of pride, first and foremost. When we went 3-0 down it would have been very easy for people to be thinking it was going to be four or five but I thought we responded magnificently in the second half.
"Ironically, when they scored the third goal we were probably having our best spell in the game. It was disappointing to concede that third but the lads kept going, Matt Smith's got another great goal and I thought we played some smashing stuff in the second half."
Live text and stats
Tuesday, 26 February 2013
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 24 Howard
- 03 Baines
- 06 Jagielka
- 15 Distin
- 18 Neville
- 23 Coleman
- 04 Gibson
- 21 Osman
- 22 Pienaar (Hitzlsperger 89)
- 07 Jelavic
- 11 Mirallas (Naismith 84)
- 13 Bouzanis
- 02 Brown (Wesolowski 76)
- 03 Grounds
- 05 Mvoto
- 06 Tarkowski
- 07 Croft
- 08 Furman
- 15 Obita (Simpson 55 yellow card)
- 09 Iwelumo (Smith 55)
- 18 Barnard
- 20 Baxter
- 01 Cisak,
- 26 Winchester,
- 04 Wesolowski,
- 29 Mellor,
- 10 Simpson,
- 14 Smith,
- 21 Millar
- Everton 59%
- Oldham 41%
Attempts on target
- Everton 7
- Oldham 6
Attempts off target
- Everton 6
- Oldham 2
- Everton 5
- Oldham 5
- Everton 8
- Oldham 17
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+3:42 The referee ends the match.
- 90:00+3:05 Corner taken left-footed by Jonathan Grounds to the near post, Leighton Baines makes a clearance.
- 90:00+1:47 Matt Smith takes a shot. Save by Tim Howard.
- 90:00+1:00 Tim Howard fouled by James Tarkowski, the ref awards a free kick. Free kick taken by Tim Howard.
- 90:00+0:31 The ball is sent over by Robbie Simpson, Sylvain Distin manages to make a clearance. Corner taken by Jose Baxter from the left by-line, Tim Howard makes a save.
- 90:00+0:21 Handball decision goes against Nikica Jelavic. Direct free kick taken by Dean Bouzanis.
- 89:47 Foul by Nikica Jelavic on Dean Furman, free kick awarded. Free kick taken by Dean Bouzanis.
- 88:44 Phil Jagielka takes the direct free kick.
- 88:44 Substitution Thomas Hitzlsperger comes on in place of Steven Pienaar.
- 88:44 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Leon Osman by James Wesolowski.
- 85:57 Tim Howard takes the direct free kick.
- 85:57 Booking The referee shows Robbie Simpson a yellow card.
- 85:49 Free kick awarded for a foul by Robbie Simpson on Tim Howard.
- 84:37 Centre by Robbie Simpson.
- 83:10 Substitution Steven Naismith is brought on as a substitute for Kevin Mirallas.
- 83:10 Darron Gibson produces a right-footed shot from inside the area that clears the crossbar.
- 82:13 Jose Baxter takes a shot. Leon Osman gets a block in. Jose Baxter takes a shot. Sylvain Distin gets a block in. Unfair challenge on Leighton Baines by Lee Croft results in a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Tim Howard.
- 81:04 Seamus Coleman fouled by Matt Smith, the ref awards a free kick. Tim Howard restarts play with the free kick.
- 80:19 Effort on goal by Darron Gibson from 30 yards. Blocked by Jonathan Grounds.
- 79:50 Corner taken by Kevin Mirallas, Robbie Simpson manages to make a clearance.
- 78:34 Free kick awarded for a foul by Jose Baxter on Sylvain Distin. Free kick taken by Sylvain Distin.
- 77:39 Foul by Matt Smith on Seamus Coleman, free kick awarded. Phil Jagielka restarts play with the free kick.
- 77:06 Kevin Mirallas delivers the ball, save made by Dean Bouzanis.
- 75:46 Substitution James Wesolowski comes on in place of Connor Brown.
- 75:07 Centre by Steven Pienaar, clearance by Jean Yves Mvoto.
- 74:04 Kevin Mirallas decides to take the corner short.
- 73:26 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Leighton Baines by Lee Croft. Kevin Mirallas crosses the ball from the free kick right-footed from left wing, clearance by Robbie Simpson.
- 71:39 The referee blows for offside against Robbie Simpson. Free kick taken by Tim Howard.
- 71:07 Jonathan Grounds produces a cross.
- 69:53 The ball is sent over by Steven Pienaar.
- 68:55 Unfair challenge on Sylvain Distin by Robbie Simpson results in a free kick. Tim Howard restarts play with the free kick.
- 68:02 Connor Brown crosses the ball, Lee Barnard takes a shot. Save by Tim Howard.
- 65:53 Free kick awarded for a foul by Jose Baxter on Leon Osman. The free kick is swung in right-footed by Darron Gibson, Connor Brown manages to make a clearance.
- 64:58 Seamus Coleman produces a right-footed shot from the edge of the area and misses to the left of the goal.
- 63:37 Assist on the goal came from Jonathan Grounds.
- 63:37 GOAL - Matt Smith:Everton 3 - 1 Oldham Matt Smith scores a headed goal from inside the six-yard box. Everton 3-1 Oldham.
- 63:18 Corner taken left-footed by Jonathan Grounds,
- 61:49 Steven Pienaar provided the assist for the goal.
- 61:49 GOAL - Leon Osman:Everton 3 - 0 Oldham Leon Osman finds the net with a headed goal from inside the area. Everton 3-0 Oldham.
- 61:07 Matt Smith challenges Phil Jagielka unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick taken by Phil Jagielka.
- 59:12 Effort from the edge of the box by Lee Croft goes wide of the right-hand upright.
- 58:06 The ball is delivered by Lee Croft, save by Tim Howard.
- 57:22 The ball is crossed by Connor Brown.
- 55:29 Centre by Robbie Simpson, clearance by Phil Neville. Corner taken by Jose Baxter from the left by-line, save made by Tim Howard.
- 54:19 Jonathan Grounds restarts play with the free kick.
- 54:19 Substitution Robbie Simpson on for Jordan Obita.
- 54:19 Substitution Matt Smith joins the action as a substitute, replacing Chris Iwelumo.
- 54:19 Phil Jagielka gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Lee Barnard.
- 52:32 The ball is swung over by Seamus Coleman, Leon Osman takes a shot. Save by Dean Bouzanis.
- 50:56 Kevin Mirallas sends in a cross, Shot from inside the area by Phil Jagielka clears the bar.
- 50:24 Inswinging corner taken right-footed by Kevin Mirallas, James Tarkowski manages to make a clearance.
- 49:52 The referee blows for offside. Indirect free kick taken by Tim Howard.
- 48:22 Unfair challenge on Steven Pienaar by Connor Brown results in a free kick. Sylvain Distin restarts play with the free kick.
- 45:01 The match restarts for the second half.
- Half Time
- 45:00+1:23 The first half comes to an end.
- 45:00+0:40 Jordan Obita takes a shot. Blocked by Seamus Coleman.
- 45:00+0:17 Leon Osman takes a shot. Comfortable save by Dean Bouzanis.
- 41:49 Lee Croft fouled by Leon Osman, the ref awards a free kick. Free kick crossed right-footed by Dean Furman from right wing, James Tarkowski challenges Tim Howard unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick taken by Tim Howard.
- 40:30 Leighton Baines challenges Lee Croft unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick crossed right-footed by Jose Baxter from right channel.
- 39:36 Centre by Seamus Coleman, Nikica Jelavic has a headed effort at goal from deep inside the area missing to the left of the target.
- 36:57 Foul by Dean Furman on Steven Pienaar, free kick awarded. Direct free kick taken by Steven Pienaar.
- 35:49 Corner from the left by-line taken by Jose Baxter, free kick awarded for a foul by Jean Yves Mvoto on Tim Howard. Direct free kick taken by Tim Howard.
- 35:21 The assistant referee flags for offside against Nikica Jelavic. Dean Bouzanis takes the free kick.
- 33:42 Assist by Seamus Coleman.
- 33:42 GOAL - Leighton Baines:Everton 2 - 0 Oldham Penalty taken left-footed by Leighton Baines and scored. Everton 2-0 Oldham.
- 33:06 The referee gives a against Connor Brown for handball.
- 27:43 Effort on goal by Leighton Baines from 30 yards. Save by Dean Bouzanis. Inswinging corner taken by Kevin Mirallas from the left by-line, Leon Osman has a header from deep inside the six-yard box and clears the crossbar.
- 26:17 The ball is delivered by Leon Osman, James Tarkowski manages to make a clearance.
- 26:04 The ball is crossed by Kevin Mirallas, clearance made by Connor Brown.
- 25:20 Jonathan Grounds handles the ball and concedes a free kick. Tim Howard takes the direct free kick.
- 24:28 The referee blows for offside. Free kick taken by Dean Bouzanis.
- 23:20 Phil Neville sends in a cross, Unfair challenge on James Tarkowski by Steven Pienaar results in a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Dean Bouzanis.
- 22:16 The ball is crossed by Kevin Mirallas, Jean Yves Mvoto manages to make a clearance.
- 20:47 Foul by Nikica Jelavic on Jonathan Grounds, free kick awarded. Dean Bouzanis takes the free kick.
- 19:37 The ball is delivered by Steven Pienaar.
- 18:43 Lee Barnard gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Seamus Coleman. Darron Gibson crosses the ball from the free kick right-footed from right wing, clearance made by Lee Barnard.
- 17:53 Nikica Jelavic produces a right-footed shot from the edge of the box and misses to the right of the target.
- 16:17 Jose Baxter has an effort at goal from outside the area hitting the post.
- 16:03 The ball is delivered by Steven Pienaar, save by Dean Bouzanis.
- 14:51 Assist on the goal came from Darron Gibson.
- 14:51 GOAL - Kevin Mirallas:Everton 1 - 0 Oldham Kevin Mirallas finds the back of the net with a goal from close in to the bottom right corner of the goal. Everton 1-0 Oldham.
- 14:40 A cross is delivered by Darron Gibson,
- 13:33 Kevin Mirallas takes a inswinging corner to the near post, clearance made by Jean Yves Mvoto.
- 12:40 Free kick awarded for a foul by Steven Pienaar on Connor Brown. Jose Baxter crosses the ball in from the free kick, comfortable save by Tim Howard.
- 10:50 The referee blows for offside. Dean Bouzanis restarts play with the free kick.
- 8:18 Jose Baxter crosses the ball, clearance made by Phil Jagielka.
- 6:53 The offside flag is raised against Kevin Mirallas. Dean Bouzanis restarts play with the free kick.
- 5:37 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Dean Furman by Leon Osman. Dean Bouzanis takes the direct free kick.
- 3:56 The ball is swung over by Jonathan Grounds, Phil Neville makes a clearance.
- 2:46 Free kick awarded for a foul by Jonathan Grounds on Kevin Mirallas. Leighton Baines has an effort direct from the free kick.
- 0:00 The game begins.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.