Motherwell 2 - 1 Celtic
Michael Higdon's 19th goal of the season saw Motherwell topple Celtic at Fir Park and move back into second place in the Scottish Premier League.
Chris Humphrey slammed in a close-range shot on 31 minutes, following up a Nicky Law strike.
Celtic levelled with a Georgios Samaras header midway through the second half.
But the runaway leaders slipped to their fifth defeat of the season when Higdon arrived at the back post to volley home on 73 minutes.
James McFadden made his first start since returning to Motherwell as Stuart McCall's side looked to bounce back from consecutive league defeats.
There was a buzz around Fir Park every time McFadden touched the ball in a bright opening spell for the hosts.
However, Law, who curled an early free-kick wide, was the pick of the bunch for Stuart McCall's side, setting up both goals.
As Motherwell hunted in packs and worked really hard to press the ball, Celtic had no time to settle and the visitors lacked fluency in the first 45 minutes.
With top scorer Gary Hooper among the substitutes, Anthony Stokes was left isolated up front and the only scare for home keeper Darren Randolph came from one of his own players.
On 27 minutes, James Forrest drilled a low cross into the penalty box and Shaun Hutchinson mistimed his clearance, the ball popping off his standing leg and heading towards the net before Randolph dropped on it.
Four minutes later, the hosts were in front as Law broke forward on the right and jinked his way past an opponent to drill a shot across goal.
The ball was going narrowly wide but Humphrey followed up as the Celtic defence switched off and the winger thumped in a shot at the back post.
Some 58 minutes had passed before Celtic managed a shot on target.
Kris Commons fashioned room for a curling strike from 18 yards but the midfielder's effort lacked power and Randolph gathered with ease.
Celtic then broke at pace from defending a corner and a chipped pass from Stokes sent Commons scurrying into the penalty area, but Randolph did well to advance and force him wide to break down a promising attack.
Stokes again demonstrated good vision to release Forrest on the right and the winger's cross produced the equaliser, with Samaras getting to the ball ahead of Hutchinson and Randolph to nod in at the near post.
Celtic were doing most of the pressing but the home side took advantage of some sloppy defending at a throw-in to move ahead for a second time.
Law dashed in behind the visiting defence and checked past Efe Ambrose before standing up a lovely cross to the back post where Higdon was arriving to blast in a volley from six yards.
Randolph made a great close-range block to deny Joe Ledley, who had run on to a teasing low delivery from fellow substitute Hooper.
Commons then got on the end of another cross from Forrest but his header was straight at the increasingly busy Randolph.
The Celtic attacks kept coming and Randolph had to smother a dangerous shot from Forrest before Adam Cummins did well to block a Samaras header in a congested six-yard box.
Neil Lennon's men continued to hurtle forward in stoppage time but Motherwell held firm to edge one point ahead of Inverness Caley Thistle.
Live text and stats
Wednesday, 27 February 2013
Scottish Premier League
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 01 Randolph
- 03 Hammell
- 05 Hutchinson
- 15 Ramsden
- 30 Cummins
- 04 Law
- 07 Humphrey
- 14 Lasley
- 08 Ojamaa (Higginbotham 79)
- 09 Higdon (McHugh 89)
- 20 McFadden (Carswell 71)
- 12 Hollis,
- 02 Saunders,
- 36 Murray,
- 17 Daley,
- 18 Carswell,
- 11 Higginbotham,
- 16 McHugh
- 01 Forster
- 02 Matthews
- 03 Izaguirre
- 25 Rogne
- 15 Commons
- 18 Rogic (Ledley 54)
- 33 Kayal yellow card (Ambrose 60)
- 49 Forrest
- 67 Wanyama yellow card
- 09 Samaras
- 10 Stokes (Hooper 71)
- 24 Zaluska,
- 04 Ambrose,
- 16 Ledley,
- 20 McCourt,
- 46 McGeouch,
- 11 Nouioui,
- 88 Hooper
- Motherwell 42%
- Celtic 58%
Attempts on target
- Motherwell 3
- Celtic 5
Attempts off target
- Motherwell 3
- Celtic 5
- Motherwell 4
- Celtic 2
- Motherwell 14
- Celtic 11
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+3:08 The game is over, as the referee blows his whistle.
- 89:50 Kris Commons challenges Simon Ramsden unfairly and gives away a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Darren Randolph.
- 87:39 Darren Randolph takes the free kick.
- 87:39 Substitution Robert McHugh on for Michael Higdon.
- 87:39 Shaun Hutchinson concedes a free kick for a foul on Georgios Samaras. Kris Commons takes the direct free kick. Victor Wanyama challenges Darren Randolph unfairly and gives away a free kick.
- 84:38 James Forrest produces a drilled right-footed shot from 12 yards. Save by Darren Randolph.
- 83:11 A cross is delivered by James Forrest, Kris Commons takes a shot. Save made by Darren Randolph.
- 79:29 Simon Ramsden gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Kris Commons. Kris Commons takes the direct free kick.
- 78:10 Direct free kick taken by Darren Randolph.
- 78:10 Substitution Henrik Ojamaa leaves the field to be replaced by Kallum Higginbotham.
- 78:10 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Henrik Ojamaa by Efe Ambrose.
- 76:26 Simon Ramsden gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Kris Commons. Direct free kick taken by Joe Ledley.
- 75:53 Joe Ledley takes a shot. Save by Darren Randolph.
- 75:22 Thomas Rogne fouled by Henrik Ojamaa, the ref awards a free kick. Fraser Forster takes the free kick.
- 73:55 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Gary Hooper by Stewart Carswell. Free kick taken by Kris Commons.
- 72:15 Assist on the goal came from Nicky Law.
- 72:15 GOAL - Michael Higdon:Motherwell 2 - 1 Celtic Michael Higdon gets on the score sheet with a goal from close in to the top right corner of the goal. Motherwell 2-1 Celtic.
- 70:26 Substitution Anthony Stokes goes off and Gary Hooper comes on.
- 70:26 Substitution (Motherwell) makes a substitution, with Stewart Carswell coming on for James McFadden.
- 69:32 Foul by Efe Ambrose on Michael Higdon, free kick awarded. Free kick taken by Keith Lasley.
- 65:55 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Simon Ramsden by Anthony Stokes. Direct free kick taken by Darren Randolph.
- 64:51 Stevie Hammell takes the free kick. The referee blows for offside against Michael Higdon. Fraser Forster restarts play with the free kick.
- 64:51 Booking The referee books Victor Wanyama for unsporting behaviour.
- 64:40 Victor Wanyama concedes a free kick for a foul on Henrik Ojamaa.
- 62:25 Assist on the goal came from James Forrest.
- 62:25 GOAL - Georgios Samaras:Motherwell 1 - 1 Celtic Georgios Samaras finds the net with a headed goal from close in. Motherwell 1-1 Celtic.
- 59:45 Corner taken by Kris Commons played to the near post, clearance by Shaun Hutchinson.
- 59:45 Substitution Beram Kayal goes off and Efe Ambrose comes on.
- 58:42 Corner taken by Nicky Law played to the near post, Victor Wanyama manages to make a clearance.
- 57:31 Effort on goal by Kris Commons from 12 yards. Save made by Darren Randolph.
- 54:41 Joe Ledley takes a shot from just outside the penalty area clears the crossbar.
- 53:44 Substitution Tom Rogic leaves the field to be replaced by Joe Ledley.
- 52:12 Outswinging corner taken by Nicky Law from the right by-line, clearance by Georgios Samaras.
- 51:34 Keith Lasley gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Tom Rogic. Kris Commons takes the free kick.
- 49:58 Outswinging corner taken left-footed by Kris Commons played to the near post, clearance made by Michael Higdon.
- 47:55 Corner taken by James McFadden from the left by-line, Victor Wanyama manages to make a clearance.
- 45:01 The referee starts the second half.
- Half Time
- 45:00+0:11 The ref blows to end the first period.
- 44:51 Foul by Stevie Hammell on Beram Kayal, free kick awarded. Free kick taken by James Forrest.
- 43:21 Free kick awarded for a foul by Michael Higdon on Beram Kayal. Fraser Forster takes the direct free kick.
- 42:30 Direct free kick taken by Simon Ramsden.
- 42:30 Booking Caution for Beram Kayal.
- 42:15 Beram Kayal challenges Henrik Ojamaa unfairly and gives away a free kick.
- 39:11 Shot on goal by Michael Higdon from inside the box goes harmlessly over the target.
- 38:27 The assistant referee signals for offside against Anthony Stokes. Darren Randolph takes the indirect free kick.
- 33:12 Kris Commons produces a right-footed shot from the edge of the area and misses to the left of the goal.
- 30:26 The assist for the goal came from Nicky Law.
- 30:26 GOAL - Chris Humphrey:Motherwell 1 - 0 Celtic Chris Humphrey finds the back of the net with a goal from close in to the top right corner of the goal. Motherwell 1-0 Celtic.
- 29:30 Anthony Stokes has an effort at goal from outside the penalty area missing to the wide left of the goal.
- 28:14 Corner taken right-footed by Nicky Law from the right by-line, clearance made by Thomas Rogne.
- 25:01 The assistant referee flags for offside against Michael Higdon. Indirect free kick taken by Fraser Forster.
- 21:02 Beram Kayal concedes a free kick for a foul on Keith Lasley. Shaun Hutchinson restarts play with the free kick.
- 20:12 The referee blows for offside. Thomas Rogne takes the free kick.
- 16:59 James McFadden gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Adam Matthews. Shot on goal comes in from Kris Commons from the free kick.
- 16:24 Keith Lasley takes a shot. Fraser Forster makes a comfortable save.
- 14:19 Free kick awarded for a foul by Stevie Hammell on James Forrest. Free kick taken by Adam Matthews.
- 12:28 Tom Rogic produces a drilled left-footed shot from deep inside the penalty box which goes wide of the left-hand upright.
- 11:50 Free kick awarded for a foul by Henrik Ojamaa on Beram Kayal. Direct free kick taken by Victor Wanyama.
- 8:48 Anthony Stokes is ruled offside. Indirect free kick taken by Shaun Hutchinson.
- 7:58 Effort from outside the penalty box by Simon Ramsden goes wide right of the goal.
- 7:27 James McFadden fouled by Beram Kayal, the ref awards a free kick. Stevie Hammell restarts play with the free kick.
- 6:38 Foul by Henrik Ojamaa on Thomas Rogne, free kick awarded. Free kick taken by Fraser Forster.
- 5:41 Anthony Stokes is flagged offside by the assistant referee. Darren Randolph takes the free kick.
- 5:19 Unfair challenge on Georgios Samaras by Shaun Hutchinson results in a free kick. Kris Commons restarts play with the free kick.
- 3:55 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Keith Lasley by Tom Rogic. Nicky Law has a direct shot on goal from the free kick.
- 1:38 Free kick awarded for a foul by Georgios Samaras on Keith Lasley. Free kick taken by Shaun Hutchinson.
- 0:57 Michael Higdon gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Tom Rogic. Thomas Rogne takes the free kick.
- 0:00 The game begins.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
CommentsJump to comments pagination
Comment number 76.still-plays-football
1st March 2013 - 1:24
Comment number 75.johnmm1888
28th February 2013 - 21:13
Comment number 74.TotoRiina
28th February 2013 - 20:06
Comment number 73.Football_understand
28th February 2013 - 17:58
Comment number 72.CowalPurple
28th February 2013 - 15:51