Stockport 0 - 1 Luton
John Still celebrated his first game as Luton manager with a narrow victory over relegation-threatened Stockport.
The visitors were on top throughout but missed a great chance to take the lead when Stuart Fleetwood saw his penalty saved after Sean Newton had fouled Andre Gray in the box.
Luton got their winner in first half stoppage time through Jake Howells' low drive from the edge of the area.
It was Luton's first win in seven while Stockport have now lost three in a row.
VIEW FROM THE DRESSING ROOM
Luton manager John Still told BBC Three Counties Radio:
"For an away performance I thought it was as good as you can get.
"The midfield four, I thought, ran the game and Andre (Gray) looked sharp.
"I never go straight in (at half-time) and - win, lose or draw - I do a huddle near our end at the end of the half - that's just what John Still does.
"I am not a short-term fix, otherwise they wouldn't employ me. I'm about a long-term plan."
Live text and stats
Saturday, 2 March 2013
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 13 O'Donnell
- 02 Halls (Cirak 80)
- 03 Newton
- 05 Johan Hammar
- 06 Tunnicliffe
- 14 Sheridan
- 18 Nolan
- 22 Mainwaring (Hackney 57)
- 27 Marshall
- 09 Hattersley
- 17 Cullen yellow card (Whitehead 57)
- 01 Ormson,
- 20 Fagbola,
- 25 Hackney,
- 07 Whitehead,
- 19 Cirak
- 01 Tyler
- 02 Rowe-Turner
- 05 McNulty
- 06 Kovacs (Taylor 59)
- 11 Howells
- 25 Henry
- 07 Lawless
- 14 Mendy
- 24 Smith
- 13 Fleetwood (Rendell 67)
- 27 Gray (Walker 76)
- 33 Brill,
- 03 Taylor,
- 17 O'Donnell,
- 10 Rendell,
- 29 Walker
- Stockport 42%
- Luton 58%
Attempts on target
- Stockport 0
- Luton 5
Attempts off target
- Stockport 2
- Luton 3
- Stockport 2
- Luton 6
- Stockport 8
- Luton 8
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+3:54 The referee brings the game to a close.
- 90:00+1:47 Short corner worked by Jake Howells.
- 85:49 Unfair challenge on Dan Walker by Jon Nolan results in a free kick. Direct effort from the free kick comes in from Jake Howells.
- 83:57 Centre by Sean Newton, Mark Tyler makes a comfortable save.
- 83:17 The ball is delivered by Scott Rendell, clearance by Paul Marshall.
- 82:40 The referee blows for offside. Richard O'Donnell takes the free kick.
- 79:53 Substitution Adnan Cirak replaces Andy Halls.
- 75:44 Substitution Dan Walker is brought on as a substitute for Andre Gray.
- 74:59 Inswinging corner taken left-footed by Sean Newton.
- 69:05 Effort from deep inside the area by Jake Howells misses to the right of the target.
- 68:26 Lathaniel Rowe-Turner challenges Danny Hattersley unfairly and gives away a free kick. Sam Sheridan takes the direct free kick.
- 66:14 Mark Tyler takes the free kick.
- 66:14 Substitution Scott Rendell joins the action as a substitute, replacing Stuart Fleetwood.
- 66:14 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Stuart Fleetwood by Sam Sheridan.
- 64:54 Jake Howells takes a shot. Richard O'Donnell makes a save.
- 59:43 Free kick awarded for a foul by Greg Taylor on Paul Marshall. Direct free kick taken by Andy Halls.
- 59:00 Substitution Greg Taylor on for Janos Kovacs.
- 57:11 Inswinging corner taken right-footed by Alex Lawless, clearance by Sean Newton.
- 56:10 Substitution Matty Mainwaring leaves the field to be replaced by Simon Hackney.
- 56:10 Substitution Danny Whitehead replaces Mark Cullen.
- 53:00 Effort from the edge of the area by Andre Gray goes wide of the right-hand post.
- 50:08 Corner taken by Jake Howells played to the near post.
- 47:58 The ball is sent over by Andy Halls, Janos Kovacs makes a clearance.
- 47:34 Free kick awarded for a foul by Stuart Fleetwood on Sam Sheridan. James Tunnicliffe restarts play with the free kick.
- 46:30 The ball is delivered by Alex Lawless.
- 45:01 The referee blows his whistle to start the second half.
- Half Time
- 45:00+2:53 The first half comes to an end.
- Correction - 45:00+1:30 Stuart Fleetwood provided the assist for the goal.
- 45:00+1:30 The assist for the goal came from Alex Lawless.
- 45:00+1:30 GOAL - Jake Howells:Stockport 0 - 1 Luton A goal is scored by Jake Howells from the edge of the penalty area to the bottom right corner of the goal. Stockport County 0-1 Luton.
- 45:00+0:50 Jake Howells takes a shot. Blocked by Sam Sheridan.
- 43:55 Free kick awarded for a foul by Jonathan Smith on Jon Nolan. Free kick taken by Johan Hammar.
- 43:12 Direct free kick taken by Ronnie Henry.
- 43:12 Booking Mark Cullen goes into the referee's book.
- 42:57 Jonathan Smith fouled by Mark Cullen, the ref awards a free kick.
- 40:37 The official flags Stuart Fleetwood offside. Richard O'Donnell takes the indirect free kick.
- 37:37 A cross is delivered by Stuart Fleetwood. Stuart Fleetwood crosses the ball.
- 36:47 Inswinging corner taken by Jake Howells from the right by-line, save made by Richard O'Donnell.
- 36:15 Corner taken by Jake Howells played to the near post.
- 35:00 Foul by Paul Marshall on Janos Kovacs, free kick awarded. Direct free kick taken by Mark Tyler.
- 31:24 Alex Lawless takes a shot. Blocked by Matty Mainwaring. Corner taken by Jake Howells, save by Richard O'Donnell.
- 26:59 The assistant referee signals for offside against Danny Hattersley. Mark Tyler takes the indirect free kick.
- 24:14 Placed penalty taken by Stuart Fleetwood saved by Richard O'Donnell. Stockport County 0-0 Luton.
- 23:20 Sean Newton challenges Andre Gray unfairly and gives away a Penalty.
- 22:56 The ball is crossed by Andre Gray, save made by Richard O'Donnell.
- 20:35 Foul by Jon Nolan on Andre Gray, free kick awarded. Free kick taken by Ronnie Henry.
- 19:46 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Danny Hattersley by Steve McNulty. Jon Nolan takes the direct free kick.
- 18:41 Matty Mainwaring produces a left-footed shot from just outside the box that goes wide right of the target.
- 17:13 Corner taken left-footed by Sean Newton to the near post, Johan Hammar gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Mark Tyler. Mark Tyler restarts play with the free kick.
- 16:27 The offside flag is raised against Danny Hattersley. Indirect free kick taken by Mark Tyler.
- 14:42 The ball is delivered by Ronnie Henry, clearance by Johan Hammar.
- 10:57 Jon Nolan produces a left-footed shot from just outside the box that goes wide right of the goal.
- 9:26 Free kick awarded for a foul by Stuart Fleetwood on Andy Halls. Free kick taken by Andy Halls.
- 8:48 Andre Gray takes a shot. Save by Richard O'Donnell.
- 6:53 Janos Kovacs fouled by Danny Hattersley, the ref awards a free kick. Mark Tyler takes the free kick. The assistant referee flags for offside against Danny Hattersley. Mark Tyler restarts play with the free kick.
- 5:57 Free kick awarded for a foul by Ronnie Henry on Danny Hattersley. Free kick taken by Sean Newton.
- 3:54 The referee blows for offside against Andre Gray. Richard O'Donnell takes the free kick.
- 3:28 The referee blows for offside. Mark Tyler restarts play with the free kick.
- 2:49 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Sam Sheridan by Stuart Fleetwood. Free kick taken by Johan Hammar.
- 0:00 The ref blows the whistle to begin the match.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.