Juventus 2 - 0 Celtic (agg 5 - 0)
Juventus ended Celtic's Champions League campaign at the last 16 stage by completing a comfortable aggregate win.
Early Celtic promise from Joe Ledley's rising shot was tempered when Alessandro Matri followed up on Fabio Quagliarella's shot to score.
Gary Hooper almost turned in an away goal from Georgios Samaras' centre.
And Efe Ambrose wasted a header for the visitors before Andrea Pirlo and Arturo Vidal combined to set up Quagliarella for a simple finish.
Trailing by three goals from the first leg in Glasgow and without skipper Scott Brown, any faint hopes of a remarkable Celtic comeback ended on 24 minutes when Matri finished off from close-range.
Manager Neil Lennon will be frustrated that his side could not fashion a goal and by defensive lapses on a rain-lashed evening in Turin.
However, on reflection, Celtic can only assess their European campaign positively.
Seeded fourth in their group after two qualification wins against Scandinavian opposition, the runaway Scottish Premier League leaders finished second to Barcelona, whom they famously beat at Celtic Park, at the expense of Benfica and Spartak Moscow.
Without a win in nine previous trips to Italy, the visitors began brightly as both sets of supporters had the impressive relatively new stadium rocking with noise.
A Beram Kayal shot was blocked before Ledley's venomous strike from 22 yards narrowly missed the junction of Juve keeper's Gianluigi Buffon's post and crossbar.
Celtic's hopes were still flickering, but they were soon extinguished.
Hooper was dispossessed on the touchline just inside his own half by Andrea Barzagli, who accelerated forward to play in Quagliarella.
The striker's low, angled shot through the legs of Kelvin Wilson was saved by Fraser Forster but fell into the path of Matri, who applied the finishing touch.
Far from feeling sorry for themselves, Celtic responded well.
Commons' drive was diverted on its way to goal by Hooper, but Buffon managed to change direction and make a sprawling save.
Samaras then flashed an effort across goal which Hooper was inches away from converting before Kayal headed weakly at Buffon.
A 20-yard drive from Juve's Chilean international Vidal worked Forster before the half-time whistle, and Quagliarella forced another smart save from the Celtic keeper early in the second half.
Ambrose, disciplined for his late arrival at training on the morning of the match, replaced the injured Victor Wanyama at the interval and the Nigerian produced a near carbon copy of his first-leg downward header miss from Charlie Mulgrew's corner.
And then the impressive Juventus machine clicked into gear on 65 minutes to settle the match.
Pirlo's perfect chipped ball eluded Emilio Izaguirre and found Vidal, whose chest control and square ball across goal allowed Quagliarella to finish from close in.
In the closing stages, Samaras shot over from the edge of the penalty area and substitute James Forrest saw his effort from distance scooped up by Buffon as Celtic pushed fruitlessly for a goal to reward their considerable efforts over two legs.
Having revelled in the big match atmosphere of this campaign, Celtic will be back for another crack at the tournament next season and, although they will have to negotiate three qualifiers, Lennon's players will take great heart from this adventure.
But Celtic's form will not have gone unnoticed and richer clubs may be circling in the summer, with an eye on some of their star performers.
Live text and stats
Wednesday, 6 March 2013
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
|(HT 1-0)(agg 5-0)|
- 01 Buffon
- 13 Federico Peluso yellow card (Asamoah 59)
- 15 Barzagli
- 19 Bonucci
- 06 Pogba
- 20 Padoin
- 21 Pirlo (Giaccherini 69)
- 23 Vidal (Isla 67)
- 39 Marrone
- 27 Quagliarella
- 32 Matri
- 30 Storari,
- 03 Chiellini,
- 12 Giovinco,
- 22 Asamoah,
- 33 Isla,
- 09 Vucinic,
- 24 Giaccherini
- 01 Forster
- 02 Matthews (Forrest 52)
- 03 Izaguirre yellow card
- 06 Wilson
- 21 Mulgrew
- 15 Commons (Nouioui 73)
- 16 Ledley
- 33 Kayal
- 67 Wanyama (Ambrose 46)
- 09 Samaras
- 88 Hooper
- 24 Zaluska,
- 04 Ambrose,
- 46 McGeouch,
- 49 Forrest,
- 07 Miku,
- 10 Stokes,
- 11 Nouioui
- Juventus 44%
- Celtic 56%
Attempts on target
- Juventus 6
- Celtic 7
Attempts off target
- Juventus 2
- Celtic 6
- Juventus 1
- Celtic 3
- Juventus 14
- Celtic 11
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+3:34 The match has reached full-time.
- 90:00+3:07 The referee blows for offside against Fabio Quagliarella. Fraser Forster takes the free kick.
- 90:00+1:21 Effort on goal by Lassad Nouioui from outside the box goes harmlessly over the bar.
- 90:00+1:02 The ball is sent over by Emilio Izaguirre, Andrea Barzagli makes a clearance.
- 90:00+0:33 Simone Padoin concedes a free kick for a foul on Joe Ledley. Joe Ledley restarts play with the free kick.
- 90:00+0:12 Beram Kayal has an effort at goal. Save made by Gianluigi Buffon.
- 89:40 The ball is delivered by Lassad Nouioui.
- 88:57 James Forrest takes a shot. Gianluigi Buffon makes a comfortable save.
- 88:22 The ball is swung over by Efe Ambrose.
- 84:19 Free kick awarded for a foul by Beram Kayal on Fabio Quagliarella. Direct free kick taken by Luca Marrone.
- 82:22 Shot on goal by Georgios Samaras from just inside the area clears the crossbar.
- 80:44 Emilio Izaguirre crosses the ball, Gianluigi Buffon makes a save.
- 79:11 Mauricio Isla is flagged offside by the assistant referee. Free kick taken by Emilio Izaguirre.
- 77:54 Foul by Mauricio Isla on Lassad Nouioui, free kick awarded. Emilio Izaguirre takes the free kick.
- 73:37 Emilio Izaguirre sends in a cross, clearance by Paul Pogba.
- 73:07 Shot from outside the box by Gary Hooper misses to the left of the goal.
- 72:06 Substitution Kris Commons leaves the field to be replaced by Lassad Nouioui.
- 71:17 Kris Commons has an effort at goal. Blocked by Andrea Barzagli.
- 70:42 Foul by Fabio Quagliarella on James Forrest, free kick awarded. Direct free kick taken by Efe Ambrose.
- 69:46 Effort on goal by Kris Commons from just inside the box goes harmlessly over the target.
- 69:11 Georgios Samaras is caught offside. Andrea Barzagli restarts play with the free kick.
- 68:12 Substitution Andrea Pirlo leaves the field to be replaced by Emanuele Giaccherini.
- 66:06 Substitution Mauricio Isla replaces Arturo Vidal.
- 64:55 Assist by Arturo Vidal.
- 64:55 GOAL - Fabio Quagliarella:Juventus 2 - 0 Celtic Fabio Quagliarella finds the net with a goal from close range to the bottom left corner of the goal. Juventus 2 (5)-(0) 0 Celtic.
- 64:09 Andrea Pirlo takes the free kick.
- 64:09 Booking The referee cautions Emilio Izaguirre for unsporting behaviour.
- 64:05 Foul by Emilio Izaguirre on Simone Padoin, free kick awarded.
- 63:05 Leonardo Bonucci concedes a free kick for a foul on Beram Kayal. Free kick taken by Beram Kayal.
- 61:53 Arturo Vidal fouled by Emilio Izaguirre, the ref awards a free kick. Free kick crossed right-footed by Andrea Pirlo from right wing.
- 59:57 Centre by Joe Ledley, clearance by Andrea Barzagli.
- 59:22 Kris Commons takes a shot. Gianluigi Buffon makes a comfortable save.
- 58:01 Substitution Kwadwo Asamoah joins the action as a substitute, replacing Federico Peluso.
- 57:26 Corner taken left-footed by Charlie Mulgrew from the left by-line, Efe Ambrose has a header from deep inside the six-yard box and clears the crossbar.
- 56:22 Paul Pogba produces a drilled right-footed shot from 25 yards. Blocked by Efe Ambrose.
- 56:06 The ball is delivered by James Forrest.
- 54:10 Free kick awarded for a foul by Luca Marrone on Kris Commons. Emilio Izaguirre takes the direct free kick.
- 53:58 The ball is sent over by Paul Pogba.
- 53:51 Alessandro Matri crosses the ball, Kelvin Wilson manages to make a clearance.
- 53:00 Andrea Pirlo challenges Joe Ledley unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick taken by Kris Commons.
- 51:48 Substitution (Celtic) makes a substitution, with James Forrest coming on for Adam Matthews.
- 48:55 Andrea Pirlo takes a short corner.
- 48:31 Fabio Quagliarella takes a shot. Save by Fraser Forster.
- 47:09 Simone Padoin crosses the ball, clearance made by Beram Kayal.
- 45:01 The referee starts the second half.
- 45:01 Substitution Efe Ambrose comes on in place of Victor Wanyama.
- Half Time
- 45:00+1:51 The referee calls an end to the first half.
- 45:00+1:23 Floated corner taken from the left by-line by Kris Commons.
- 45:00+1:03 A cross is delivered by Adam Matthews, save by Gianluigi Buffon.
- 45:00+0:53 The ball is crossed by Emilio Izaguirre, clearance by Leonardo Bonucci.
- 44:39 Emilio Izaguirre sends in a cross, Foul by Beram Kayal on Andrea Barzagli, free kick awarded. Free kick taken by Leonardo Bonucci.
- 43:18 Arturo Vidal takes a shot. Save by Fraser Forster.
- 41:11 Emilio Izaguirre sends in a cross, Beram Kayal takes a shot. Save made by Gianluigi Buffon.
- 39:39 Gary Hooper is ruled offside. Andrea Pirlo restarts play with the free kick.
- 38:44 The ball is swung over by Emilio Izaguirre.
- 37:27 Fabio Quagliarella concedes a free kick for a foul on Kelvin Wilson. Fraser Forster restarts play with the free kick.
- 35:17 Simone Padoin fouled by Emilio Izaguirre, the ref awards a free kick. Andrea Pirlo delivers the ball from the free kick right-footed from right wing, blocked by Emilio Izaguirre.
- 34:41 The ball is delivered by Georgios Samaras.
- 33:07 Free kick awarded for a foul by Simone Padoin on Joe Ledley. Fraser Forster takes the free kick.
- 32:43 Charlie Mulgrew gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Andrea Pirlo. Andrea Pirlo takes the free kick.
- 32:16 Foul by Joe Ledley on Arturo Vidal, free kick awarded. Arturo Vidal takes the free kick.
- 30:37 The official flags Alessandro Matri offside. Indirect free kick taken by Fraser Forster.
- 29:47 Georgios Samaras gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Arturo Vidal. Andrea Barzagli restarts play with the free kick.
- 28:53 Effort on goal by Arturo Vidal from just outside the penalty area goes harmlessly over the target.
- 28:38 Emilio Izaguirre sends in a cross.
- 27:37 Kris Commons takes a inswinging corner to the near post, clearance made by Fabio Quagliarella.
- 27:09 Kris Commons takes a shot. Gianluigi Buffon makes a brilliant save.
- 25:38 Joe Ledley delivers the ball, save by Gianluigi Buffon.
- 23:27 GOAL - Alessandro Matri:Juventus 1 - 0 Celtic Alessandro Matri scores a goal from close range to the bottom right corner of the goal. Juventus 1 (4)-(0) 0 Celtic.
- 23:24 Fabio Quagliarella takes a shot. Save by Fraser Forster.
- 22:36 Paul Pogba concedes a free kick for a foul on Beram Kayal. Adam Matthews restarts play with the free kick.
- 21:35 Fabio Quagliarella gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Adam Matthews. Adam Matthews restarts play with the free kick.
- 20:55 Joe Ledley has an effort at goal from outside the area which goes wide right of the goal.
- 20:35 Alessandro Matri concedes a free kick for a foul on Victor Wanyama. Free kick taken by Victor Wanyama.
- 18:02 Emilio Izaguirre crosses the ball, save by Gianluigi Buffon.
- 17:07 Kris Commons takes the direct free kick.
- 17:07 Booking Federico Peluso is shown a yellow card for unsporting behaviour.
- 16:50 Unfair challenge on Adam Matthews by Federico Peluso results in a free kick.
- 14:42 Fabio Quagliarella produces a right-footed shot from outside the penalty area and misses left.
- 13:52 A cross is delivered by Adam Matthews, clearance made by Simone Padoin.
- 8:34 Beram Kayal has an effort at goal from 20 yards. Andrea Barzagli gets a block in.
- 6:51 Emilio Izaguirre crosses the ball, Gianluigi Buffon makes a comfortable save.
- 5:48 Unfair challenge on Fabio Quagliarella by Victor Wanyama results in a free kick. Federico Peluso takes the free kick.
- 4:51 Gary Hooper concedes a free kick for a foul on Leonardo Bonucci. Leonardo Bonucci takes the direct free kick.
- 3:15 Simone Padoin gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Emilio Izaguirre. Fraser Forster takes the direct free kick.
- 2:39 Georgios Samaras crosses the ball.
- 1:15 Foul by Federico Peluso on Beram Kayal, free kick awarded. Adam Matthews restarts play with the free kick.
- 0:12 Georgios Samaras gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Leonardo Bonucci. Arturo Vidal restarts play with the free kick.
- 0:00 The match has kicked off.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
CommentsJump to comments pagination
Comment number 260.DrZ
8th March 2013 - 1:44
Comment number 259.Bob the Builder
7th March 2013 - 19:08
Comment number 258.ParSoup
7th March 2013 - 17:00
Comment number 257.Eddies Gonna Get Ya
7th March 2013 - 16:57
Comment number 256.collymonster
7th March 2013 - 16:46