Everton 0 - 3 Wigan
Wigan produced a superb performance to reach the FA Cup semi-final for the first time and leave Everton and manager David Moyes shell-shocked at Goodison Park.
Everton had been pre-match favourites to reach the last four for the second successive season - but Wigan will go to Wembley after a devastating burst of three goals in less than four first-half minutes.
Maynor Figueroa, Callum McManaman and Jordi Gomez scored in quick succession to set up a victory Roberto Martinez's unpredictable Wigan side thoroughly deserved.
Not that quick
- There were just 3 minutes and 22 seconds between Wigan's first and third goals, but MK Dons netted three in 2:19 against Cambridge City earlier in the season.
Moyes and his players were left to face the fury of fans at a rapidly deserting Goodison Park and the grim reality that the Scot will mark the 11th anniversary of his appointment as Everton manager still without a trophy to his name.
Everton would have thought a relatively kind draw offered a reasonable hope of a return to Wembley but Wigan, composed throughout, were outstanding and no-one could begrudge them such an emphatic victory.
Moyes, still to commit his long-term future to Everton, has said he will make a decision at the end of this season and it remains to be seen whether a defeat of such disappointment and significance - and as the result of such an abject, uninspired performance - has a decisive impact on his next move.
For Wigan, this was a performance that offered sweet relief from their annual struggle against relegation from the Premier League and was of such high quality that it can only give them confidence for the crucial next few weeks.
Everton were without first-choice keeper Tim Howard, out with a back injury, but replacement Jan Mucha could hardly be blamed for a first 45 minutes that was nothing short of a fiasco for Moyes and his players.
Wigan, beaten with such ease by Liverpool at home last week, were a team transformed and Shaun Maloney could have put them ahead early on as his angled shot from 20 yards beat Mucha but bounced to safety off the inside of the post.
It was only a temporary reprieve as Wigan took the tie away from Everton with a stunning burst of three goals in a remarkable three minutes and 23 seconds just after the half-hour.
Everton were also without injured England defender Phil Jagielka but his absence cannot be offered as an excuse for the ease with which Wigan swept them aside.
Mucha saved well from James McCarthy but from the resulting corner Figueroa made the most of poor Everton marking to rise at the far post and head home.
It was no more than Wigan's enterprise merited and they swiftly doubled their advantage as Phil Neville's poor pass sent McManaman clear. He waited for Mucha to commit himself before sweeping in a composed finish.
The new boys
- Wigan become the 78th different side to reach the FA Cup semi-finals.
And Goodison Park was left shell-shocked as Arouna Kone set up Gomez for another precise finish past the helpless Mucha from 18 yards. Jeers rang out around an angry stadium as the Wigan supporters - who had not even claimed their full ticket allocation - celebrated with a mixture of elation and disbelief.
Everton's plight, if it was possible, almost worsened as half-time approached with Mucha showing agility to turn Maloney's floated free-kick over the bar.
It was a desperate time for Everton and Moyes, the manager's response being to replace captain Neville with striker Victor Anichebe for the start of the second half.
Everton, as was to be expected, showed a little more vigour at the start of the second half but it was a reflection on the normally influential Fellaini's lamentable performance that he was replaced by Darron Gibson with 23 minutes remaining. Nothing, however, was going to turn the tide of this game as Wigan closed out a landmark victory.
Wigan manager Roberto Martinez: "I thought the performance was outstanding from the keeper all the way through, to come to Goodison Park. To be able to score three goals and keep a clean sheet speaks volumes.
"I think we deserve a little bit of credit. We stopped them from being dangerous. We knew when to keep the ball, when to go forward, and we looked a real threat every time we got into the final third."
Live text and stats
Saturday, 9 March 2013
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 01 Mucha
- 03 Baines
- 05 Heitinga
- 15 Distin
- 18 Neville yellow card (Anichebe 46)
- 23 Coleman
- 21 Osman yellow card
- 22 Pienaar
- 25 Fellaini yellow card (Gibson 67 yellow card)
- 07 Jelavic
- 11 Mirallas (Barkley 79)
- 01 Blazquez
- 03 Alcaraz (Golobart 90+1)
- 17 Boyce
- 31 Figueroa
- 04 McCarthy
- 10 Maloney yellow card
- 14 Gomez
- 22 Beausejour
- 33 Scharner
- 02 Kone
- 15 McManaman (Miyaichi 40) (McArthur 72)
- Everton 52%
- Wigan 48%
Attempts on target
- Everton 6
- Wigan 6
Attempts off target
- Everton 8
- Wigan 7
- Everton 7
- Wigan 6
- Everton 16
- Wigan 10
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+4:40 The game is over, as the referee blows his whistle.
- 90:00+3:26 Leighton Baines produces a left-footed shot from just outside the penalty box that misses to the left of the target.
- 90:00+1:46 Foul by Leon Osman on Shaun Maloney, free kick awarded. Shaun Maloney takes the direct free kick.
- 90:00+1:21 Nikica Jelavic has a headed effort at goal from close in which goes wide of the left-hand upright.
- 90:00+0:11 The ball is sent over by Darron Gibson, Leon Osman takes a shot. Fantastic save by Joel Robles.
- 90:00+0:11 Substitution Antolin Alcaraz goes off and Roman Golobart comes on.
- 90:00+0:11 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Seamus Coleman by Jean Beausejour.
- 86:36 James McCarthy takes the free kick.
- 86:36 Booking Darron Gibson receives a yellow card for unsporting behaviour.
- 86:32 Darron Gibson challenges Jordi Gomez unfairly and gives away a free kick.
- 83:39 Ross Barkley has an effort at goal from just inside the box that misses to the right of the goal.
- 82:56 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Arouna Kone by Johnny Heitinga. Direct free kick taken by Maynor Figueroa.
- 81:14 Emmerson Boyce challenges Steven Pienaar unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick taken by Steven Pienaar.
- 78:55 Free kick awarded for a foul by Jean Beausejour on Seamus Coleman. Darron Gibson takes the free kick.
- 78:06 Substitution Ross Barkley on for Kevin Mirallas.
- 75:23 Inswinging corner taken from the left by-line by Kevin Mirallas.
- 74:13 The referee blows for offside. Joel Robles takes the free kick.
- 72:56 The assistant referee signals for offside against Nikica Jelavic. Free kick taken by Joel Robles.
- 72:10 Kevin Mirallas takes a outswinging corner.
- 71:48 Substitution Ryo Miyaichi leaves the field to be replaced by James McArthur.
- 71:33 Leighton Baines takes a shot. Save by Joel Robles.
- 69:04 Jordi Gomez fouled by Steven Pienaar, the ref awards a free kick. Antolin Alcaraz takes the free kick.
- 68:34 Steven Pienaar challenges Maynor Figueroa unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick taken by Maynor Figueroa.
- 66:13 Johnny Heitinga restarts play with the free kick.
- 66:13 Substitution Darron Gibson joins the action as a substitute, replacing Marouane Fellaini.
- 66:13 Free kick awarded for a foul by Arouna Kone on Steven Pienaar.
- 64:17 Maynor Figueroa takes a shot. Save made by Jan Mucha.
- 63:37 Outswinging corner taken from the left by-line by Jean Beausejour.
- 59:45 Outswinging corner taken right-footed by Kevin Mirallas played to the near post, clearance by Maynor Figueroa.
- 59:01 Free kick awarded for a foul by Sylvain Distin on Antolin Alcaraz. Joel Robles takes the free kick.
- 58:35 Leighton Baines takes a outswinging corner from the left by-line played to the near post, Paul Scharner manages to make a clearance.
- 58:20 Short corner worked by Kevin Mirallas.
- 57:15 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Leighton Baines by Ryo Miyaichi. Free kick taken by Sylvain Distin.
- 56:07 Paul Scharner takes the direct free kick.
- 56:07 Booking Marouane Fellaini goes into the referee's book.
- 56:00 Marouane Fellaini concedes a free kick for a foul on Shaun Maloney.
- 54:11 Nikica Jelavic handles the ball and concedes a free kick. Joel Robles takes the indirect free kick.
- 53:06 Shaun Maloney takes the inswinging corner, clearance made by Nikica Jelavic.
- 49:44 Effort from outside the box by Marouane Fellaini goes wide right of the target.
- 48:26 Direct strike on goal from the free kick comes in from Leighton Baines, save made by Joel Robles.
- 48:26 Booking Caution for Shaun Maloney.
- 48:17 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Kevin Mirallas by Shaun Maloney.
- 47:45 Unfair challenge on Paul Scharner by Steven Pienaar results in a free kick. James McCarthy takes the free kick.
- 46:55 Unfair challenge on Arouna Kone by Johnny Heitinga results in a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Maynor Figueroa.
- 46:04 Arouna Kone takes a shot. Save by Jan Mucha.
- 45:01 The second half begins.
- 45:01 Substitution Phil Neville leaves the field to be replaced by Victor Anichebe.
- Half Time
- 45:00+3:05 The whistle is blown to end the first half.
- 44:08 Corner taken by Jordi Gomez played to the near post, clearance by Nikica Jelavic.
- 42:46 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Shaun Maloney by Kevin Mirallas. Shaun Maloney has an effort direct from the free kick, Jan Mucha makes a save.
- 42:07 Effort from the edge of the box by Jordi Gomez goes wide of the left-hand post.
- 40:35 Corner taken by Shaun Maloney from the left by-line, Marouane Fellaini makes a clearance.
- 39:56 Free kick taken by Paul Scharner.
- 39:56 Booking Leon Osman is shown a yellow card.
- 39:44 Leon Osman challenges Jordi Gomez unfairly and gives away a free kick.
- 38:49 Maynor Figueroa takes the direct free kick.
- 38:49 Substitution Callum McManaman goes off and Ryo Miyaichi comes on.
- 38:49 Booking Phil Neville goes into the book for unsporting behaviour.
- 38:32 Unfair challenge on Jean Beausejour by Phil Neville results in a free kick.
- 34:29 Free kick awarded for a foul by James McCarthy on Steven Pienaar. The free kick is swung in left-footed by Leighton Baines, Joel Robles makes a save.
- 32:45 The assist for the goal came from Arouna Kone.
- 32:45 GOAL - Jordi Gomez:Everton 0 - 3 Wigan Jordi Gomez finds the back of the net with a goal from just outside the penalty box to the bottom left corner of the goal. Everton 0-3 Wigan.
- 31:41 Free kick awarded for a foul by Marouane Fellaini on Antolin Alcaraz. Direct free kick taken by Joel Robles.
- 30:37 GOAL - Callum McManaman:Everton 0 - 2 Wigan Callum McManaman grabs a goal from inside the area to the bottom left corner of the goal. Everton 0-2 Wigan.
- 29:22 Jordi Gomez provided the assist for the goal.
- 29:22 GOAL - Maynor Figueroa:Everton 0 - 1 Wigan Maynor Figueroa grabs a headed goal from inside the six-yard box. Everton 0-1 Wigan.
- 29:10 Inswinging corner taken by Jordi Gomez from the right by-line,
- 28:54 James McCarthy takes a shot. Save made by Jan Mucha.
- 28:20 Seamus Coleman gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Shaun Maloney. Free kick taken by Jordi Gomez.
- 27:44 Foul by Kevin Mirallas on Jean Beausejour, free kick awarded. Direct free kick taken by Joel Robles.
- 26:33 The offside flag is raised against Marouane Fellaini. Paul Scharner takes the indirect free kick.
- 24:55 The referee gives a free kick against Marouane Fellaini for handball. Free kick taken by Paul Scharner.
- 24:01 Phil Neville produces a right-footed shot from outside the penalty box and misses left.
- 23:44 Leighton Baines takes a shot. Blocked by Paul Scharner.
- 22:52 Effort from the edge of the penalty area by Nikica Jelavic goes wide of the left-hand post.
- 22:25 Free kick awarded for a foul by Emmerson Boyce on Steven Pienaar. Direct free kick taken by Leighton Baines.
- 21:20 Arouna Kone is flagged offside by the assistant referee. Phil Neville restarts play with the free kick.
- 20:08 Unfair challenge on Seamus Coleman by Maynor Figueroa results in a free kick. Free kick crossed by Leighton Baines, Joel Robles makes a save.
- 18:56 Nikica Jelavic takes a shot. Save by Joel Robles.
- 18:09 Arouna Kone has a header from close range and clears the crossbar.
- 17:18 Free kick awarded for a foul by Leon Osman on James McCarthy. Direct free kick taken by Antolin Alcaraz.
- 15:14 Outswinging corner taken from the left by-line by Jean Beausejour, Headed effort from deep inside the penalty area by Antolin Alcaraz misses to the left of the goal.
- 13:39 Corner taken left-footed by Leighton Baines from the right by-line, Headed effort from close range by Nikica Jelavic goes wide left of the target.
- 13:10 Handball by Sylvain Distin. James McCarthy restarts play with the free kick.
- 12:11 Effort on goal by Maynor Figueroa from long range goes harmlessly over the bar.
- 11:10 Steven Pienaar is caught offside. Joel Robles takes the free kick.
- 10:50 The official flags Arouna Kone offside. Jan Mucha takes the free kick.
- 10:11 Effort from outside the area by Shaun Maloney strikes the post.
- 6:44 The ball is sent over by Jean Beausejour, clearance made by Johnny Heitinga.
- 4:54 Kevin Mirallas takes a shot. Blocked by Paul Scharner.
- 4:30 Unfair challenge on Leon Osman by James McCarthy results in a free kick. Free kick taken by Leon Osman.
- 3:21 Headed effort from inside the area by Sylvain Distin misses to the right of the goal.
- 2:28 Short corner taken by Kevin Mirallas from the left by-line.
- 0:32 Arouna Kone takes a shot. Save by Jan Mucha.
- 0:00 The referee starts the match.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.