Liverpool 3 - 2 Tottenham
A late penalty winner kept Liverpool's faint hopes of gatecrashing the top four alive as they beat Tottenham.
The Reds went ahead when Luis Suarez stabbed in after a slick move.
Spurs hit back through a Jan Vertonghen header and the Belgian then fired the visitors in front with a 15-yard shot.
But a poor Kyle Walker backpass allowed Stewart Downing to drive in a Reds leveller before Steven Gerrard netted the winner with a spot-kick after Benoit Assou-Ekotto fouled Suarez.
Spurs were authors of their own downfall as two late defensive mistakes contributed to their first defeat in 13 league games.
The White Hart Lane club stay third but this result will give the teams below them - including north London rivals Arsenal - hope that Andre Villas-Boas's side can be caught, especially given the way they faded towards the end of last season.
Spurs endured a spell of just six points from a possible 27 during last year's run-in, which ultimately cost them a Champions League place.
For Liverpool, this was a first victory of the season over a team currently in the top eight and lifts them to sixth, but they remain outsiders for a top-four spot. They are seven points behind fourth-placed Chelsea, who also have a game in hand on the Merseysiders.
"A tremendous game. Tottenham shot themselves in the foot. Liverpool have beaten one of the big teams for the first time this season and they are above Everton."
The Reds are the Premier League's leading scorers since the turn of the year with 25 goals and they quickly got into the attacking mode that has become a feature of their recent performances.
It was the home side who exerted the pressure in the opening stages, although a dipping 30-yard Gareth Bale free-kick was nervously swatted away by Reds keeper Brad Jones, playing in place of the injured Pepe Reina.
Liverpool's high work-rate and fluid movement stretched Spurs and the hosts duly took the lead with a well-worked goal.
Coutinho produced some lovely skill on the left wing before combining with marauding left-back Jose Enrique, who slipped a pass through for Suarez to stab neatly inside Lloris's near post with the outside of his boot.
Suarez threatened again when he latched on to a Steven Gerrard pass and when his shot from a tight angle was parried by Spurs' French keeper, the Reds felt they should have had a penalty after full-back Walker tugged Coutinho as he tried to get to the rebound.
- Luis Suarez has now scored nine goals in the Premier League 2013; two more than any other player.
- The Reds have won three games in a row (all competitions) for the first time this season.
- Jamie Carragher made his 500th league appearance for Liverpool.
- No side have scored more goals in the second half of matches than Tottenham Hotspur (35) this season.
Bale had been contained by Liverpool and overshadowed by Suarez but, after shooting high following a surging run, the Welshman made his presence felt when he crossed for Vertonghen to beat right-back Glen Johnson to the ball and head home on the stroke of half-time.
The goal lifted the visitors and they added a second shortly after the break as Bale and Vertonghen combined again to undo Liverpool.
Bale delivered a free-kick that the Reds failed to clear, and centre-back Vertonghen showed a striker's prowess to drive home the loose ball.
Spurs were now overwhelming their hosts but failed to take a key chance to go two ahead. Gylfi Sigurdsson was found at the far post by Bale only to see his shot deflected off Jones against the outside of the upright.
The miss looked more costly when Walker's inadvertent backpass was missed by Lloris as he rushed out to meet it and Downing pounced to drive a low shot through the legs of Vertonghen.
Spurs striker Jermain Defoe then put his side in trouble again when he inexplicably played a ball into his own area for Suarez, who went down under Assou-Ekotto's shove.
Gerrard stepped up to send Lloris the wrong way from the spot and move Liverpool above Everton.
Tottenham manager Andre Villas-Boas: "It is difficult for us to take because we did ever so well to come back into the game in the first half and we started brightly in the second half.
"We lost control of the game when things looked to be going our way, which was more down to a couple of mistakes we did rather than to Liverpool's merit - although they worked very hard.
"Hopefully, this setback can serve as an example to move forward."
Live text and stats
Sunday, 10 March 2013
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 01 Jones
- 02 Johnson
- 03 Jose Enrique
- 05 Agger
- 23 Carragher yellow card
- 08 Gerrard
- 10 Phillippe Coutinho (Allen 59)
- 19 Downing
- 21 Lucas
- 07 Suarez
- 15 Sturridge (Henderson 88)
- 25 Lloris
- 05 Vertonghen yellow card
- 20 Dawson
- 28 Walker
- 32 Assou-Ekotto (Carroll 90)
- 08 Parker
- 11 Bale
- 22 Sigurdsson
- 29 Livermore (Holtby 84)
- 18 Defoe
- 19 Dembele
- Liverpool 44%
- Tottenham 56%
Attempts on target
- Liverpool 4
- Tottenham 9
Attempts off target
- Liverpool 6
- Tottenham 6
- Liverpool 1
- Tottenham 4
- Liverpool 9
- Tottenham 8
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+3:44 The referee blows his whistle to end the game.
- 90:00+2:22 Gareth Bale produces a cross.
- 89:53 Free kick crossed left-footed by Gareth Bale, Daniel Agger makes a clearance.
- 89:53 Substitution Benoit Assou-Ekotto leaves the field to be replaced by Tom Carroll.
- 89:53 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Lewis Holtby by Stewart Downing.
- 89:40 The ball is delivered by Jan Vertonghen, clearance by Jamie Carragher.
- 89:10 The ball is swung over by Scott Parker, Jamie Carragher manages to make a clearance.
- 87:23 Substitution Daniel Sturridge leaves the field to be replaced by Jordan Henderson.
- 82:58 Gareth Bale produces a shot on goal direct from the free kick.
- 82:58 Substitution Lewis Holtby is brought on as a substitute for Jake Livermore.
- 82:58 Booking Jamie Carragher is given a yellow card.
- 82:50 Jamie Carragher concedes a free kick for a foul on Gareth Bale.
- 81:47 The assist for the goal came from Luis Suarez.
- 81:47 GOAL - Steven Gerrard:Liverpool 3 - 2 Tottenham Placed penalty scored by Steven Gerrard. Liverpool 3-2 Tottenham.
- 81:11 Penalty awarded for a foul by Benoit Assou-Ekotto on Luis Suarez.
- 80:25 Foul by Mousa Dembele on Joe Allen, free kick awarded. The free kick is delivered right-footed by Steven Gerrard from left wing, save by Hugo Lloris.
- 79:08 A cross is delivered by Luis Suarez, blocked by Benoit Assou-Ekotto.
- 78:24 Free kick awarded for a foul by Jamie Carragher on Jermain Defoe. Free kick crossed left-footed by Gareth Bale from left wing, clearance made by Steven Gerrard.
- 77:34 The ball is delivered by Steven Gerrard, Hugo Lloris makes a save.
- 74:08 The ball is crossed by Kyle Walker, Header by Gareth Bale from deep inside the penalty area misses to the left of the goal.
- 73:57 Gareth Bale takes a shot. Jamie Carragher gets a block in.
- 72:49 Stewart Downing sends in a cross, Daniel Sturridge has a headed effort at goal from close in which goes wide left of the goal.
- 69:28 Sanchez Jose Enrique has an effort at goal from outside the penalty area missing to the wide left of the goal.
- 69:01 Corner taken by Steven Gerrard, clearance by Kyle Walker.
- 67:18 Gylfi Sigurdsson takes the inswinging corner, Daniel Agger fouled by Michael Dawson, the ref awards a free kick. Free kick taken by Brad Jones.
- 65:31 GOAL - Stewart Downing:Liverpool 2 - 2 Tottenham Stewart Downing fires in a goal from deep inside the penalty box low into the middle of the goal. Liverpool 2-2 Tottenham.
- 64:56 The official flags Stewart Downing offside. Free kick taken by Benoit Assou-Ekotto.
- 61:09 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Daniel Agger by Gareth Bale. Free kick taken by Daniel Agger.
- 59:47 Mousa Dembele takes a shot. Save by Brad Jones.
- 58:31 Substitution Joe Allen joins the action as a substitute, replacing Phillippe Coutinho.
- 57:56 Jermain Defoe produces a left-footed shot from the edge of the box and misses to the left of the target.
- 57:06 Inswinging corner taken by Gylfi Sigurdsson from the left by-line, Glen Johnson manages to make a clearance.
- 56:50 Gylfi Sigurdsson takes a shot. Brad Jones makes a save.
- 56:05 Steven Gerrard takes the free kick.
- 56:05 Booking Jan Vertonghen goes into the book.
- 55:47 The referee gives a free kick against Jan Vertonghen for handball.
- 54:40 Jake Livermore gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Leiva Lucas. Steven Gerrard restarts play with the free kick.
- 54:18 Centre by Phillippe Coutinho, Hugo Lloris makes a save.
- 52:39 The assist for the goal came from Gareth Bale.
- 52:39 GOAL - Jan Vertonghen:Liverpool 1 - 2 Tottenham Goal scored by Jan Vertonghen from inside the penalty box to the bottom left corner of the goal. Liverpool 1-2 Tottenham.
- 52:01 Leiva Lucas gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Gareth Bale. Gareth Bale delivers the ball,
- 51:23 Jermain Defoe takes a shot. Save made by Brad Jones.
- 47:50 Gylfi Sigurdsson sends in a cross, save by Brad Jones.
- 47:23 Leiva Lucas challenges Gareth Bale unfairly and gives away a free kick. Michael Dawson restarts play with the free kick.
- 45:01 The referee gets the second half started.
- Half Time
- 45:00+3:14 The referee calls an end to the first half.
- 45:00+1:38 Luis Suarez is flagged offside by the assistant referee. Indirect free kick taken by Hugo Lloris.
- 44:52 Assist on the goal came from Gareth Bale.
- 44:52 GOAL - Jan Vertonghen:Liverpool 1 - 1 Tottenham Jan Vertonghen finds the net with a headed goal from close in. Liverpool 1-1 Tottenham.
- 44:49 The ball is crossed by Gareth Bale,
- 42:02 Gareth Bale fouled by Steven Gerrard, the ref awards a free kick. Benoit Assou-Ekotto restarts play with the free kick.
- 40:08 Foul by Steven Gerrard on Gylfi Sigurdsson, free kick awarded. Direct free kick taken by Benoit Assou-Ekotto.
- 39:56 Phillippe Coutinho takes a shot. Michael Dawson gets a block in.
- 39:28 Benoit Assou-Ekotto takes a shot. Save by Brad Jones.
- 39:10 Kyle Walker crosses the ball, clearance by Daniel Agger.
- 38:38 Daniel Sturridge takes a shot. Save made by Hugo Lloris.
- 37:04 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Sanchez Jose Enrique by Gareth Bale. Direct free kick taken by Brad Jones.
- 36:21 Gylfi Sigurdsson produces a right-footed shot from just outside the penalty box that misses to the left of the goal.
- 35:44 Gylfi Sigurdsson produces a cross, Daniel Agger makes a clearance.
- 35:02 The referee blows for offside. Free kick taken by Michael Dawson.
- 34:26 Effort on goal by Gareth Bale from deep inside the penalty area misses to the right of the target.
- 33:04 Effort on goal by Gareth Bale from long range goes harmlessly over the bar.
- 30:52 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Mousa Dembele by Luis Suarez. Michael Dawson takes the direct free kick.
- 29:12 Gareth Bale gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Daniel Agger. Sanchez Jose Enrique takes the free kick.
- 28:54 Jake Livermore sends in a cross, Brad Jones makes a save.
- 28:13 The referee blows for offside against Luis Suarez. Michael Dawson takes the free kick.
- 27:35 Mousa Dembele concedes a free kick for a foul on Luis Suarez. Leiva Lucas restarts play with the free kick.
- 26:50 Effort on goal by Stewart Downing from long range goes over the bar.
- 26:22 The ball is sent over by Luis Suarez.
- 25:53 Stewart Downing produces a cross, clearance made by Michael Dawson.
- 24:27 Inswinging corner taken left-footed by Gareth Bale, Brad Jones makes a save.
- 20:41 Sanchez Jose Enrique provided the assist for the goal.
- 20:41 GOAL - Luis Suarez:Liverpool 1 - 0 Tottenham Luis Suarez gets on the score sheet with a goal from close in low into the middle of the goal. Liverpool 1-0 Tottenham.
- 19:32 Effort on goal by Phillippe Coutinho from just outside the area goes harmlessly over the target.
- 19:07 A cross is delivered by Stewart Downing, Sanchez Jose Enrique takes a shot. Blocked by Michael Dawson.
- 17:57 Kyle Walker crosses the ball.
- 16:40 Gylfi Sigurdsson takes a shot. Blocked by Jamie Carragher.
- 15:07 The referee blows for offside against Phillippe Coutinho. Indirect free kick taken by Kyle Walker.
- 11:37 Corner from right by-line taken by Gareth Bale.
- 10:29 Daniel Agger gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Mousa Dembele. Gareth Bale has an effort direct from the free kick, Brad Jones makes a save.
- 6:06 The ball is crossed by Daniel Sturridge, clearance by Michael Dawson.
- 4:46 Effort from the edge of the area by Daniel Sturridge goes wide of the right-hand upright.
- 0:17 The assistant referee flags for offside against Luis Suarez. Michael Dawson restarts play with the free kick.
- 0:00 The match begins.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
CommentsJump to comments pagination
Comment number 563.We Ride at Dawn
12th March 2013 - 7:58
Comment number 562.SultanA
11th March 2013 - 23:35
Comment number 561.Grobbelaarsrattail
11th March 2013 - 21:19
Comment number 560.LT1610
11th March 2013 - 20:55
Comment number 559.born001
11th March 2013 - 20:24