Chelsea 3 - 1 Steaua Bucharest (agg 3 - 2)
Fernando Torres scored only his second goal in 20 games to send Chelsea into the Europa League quarter-finals.
Trailing 1-0 from last week's first leg in Bucharest, Chelsea took the lead on the night through Juan Mata's close-range finish.
But a scrambled effort from Vlad Chiriches before the break left Rafael Benitez's side needing two goals.
John Terry pulled one back with a header then Torres produced a fine finish before missing a late penalty.
After battling back from two goals down against Manchester United last weekend to secure an FA Cup replay, Chelsea were once again made to do it the hard way.
But last season's Champions League winners showed plenty of patience to grind Steaua down.
Terry at Stamford Bridge
John Terry's last nine goals have all been scored at Stamford Bridge.
Captain Terry has been used sparingly by Benitez because of an ongoing knee problem and he has not started a Premier League game since 2 February.
But his goal set up the comeback before Torres, who only had an FA Cup goal against Brentford to show for his previous 19 games, drove in a third, although there was frustration when he failed to take another chance from the spot.
For all the negativity that has surrounded the Stamford Bridge club this season, they still have two chances for silverware.
But they had to dig deep to make it past Laurentiu Reghecampf's team.
Steaua began with all the confidence of a team 12 points clear at the top of the Romanian table and were unfortunate not to move ahead when Raul Rusescu was played in behind the Chelsea defence only to see his shot turned wide by Petr Cech.
The home side finally imposed themselves when a deep cross from Eden Hazard found John Obi Mikel at the far post and his shot was pushed away by Ciprian Tatarusanu.
Europa League quarter-finalists
England: Chelsea, Newcastle United, Tottenham Hotspur
Russia: Rubin Kazan
Switzerland: FC Basel
Quarter-final draw to be made on Friday.
Just after the half-hour mark they made the breakthrough when Mata drove forward and swapped passes with Ramires before stabbing a shot with enough power to get through Tatarusanu's legs.
But in first-half added time, the visitors responded when a Iasmin Latovlevici corner was met by Cristian Tanase, whose shot was pushed on to the woodwork by Cech only for Chiriches to squeeze in at the near post to leave Chelsea needing two goals.
Chelsea struggled for fluency at the start of the second period but just before the hour, an unmarked Terry headed in off the post from a Mata free-kick to give the home side hope.
Cech was worked again when he palmed away from Alexandru Chipciu's looping effort.
But Chelsea came up with a decisive third goal when Mata drifted in from the right and his pass was helped on by Hazard before Torres guided a shot into the corner.
With five minutes remaining, Hazard was brought down in the area by Alexandru Bourceanu but Torres hit the bar with the resulting penalty.
Live text and stats
Thursday, 14 March 2013
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
|(HT 1-1)(agg 3-2)|
- 01 Cech
- 03 Cole yellow card
- 04 David Luiz
- 26 Terry
- 28 Azpilicueta
- 07 Ramires
- 10 Mata (Moses 90)
- 11 Oscar
- 12 Mikel yellow card
- 17 Hazard (Benayoun 90+3)
- 09 Torres
- 12 Tatarusanu
- 04 Szukala
- 05 Mihai Pintilii
- 14 Latovlevici
- 16 Rapa yellow card (Filho 83)
- 21 Chiriches
- 77 Popa
- 07 Alexsandru Chipciu
- 10 Tanase (Leandro 78)
- 55 Bourceanu yellow card
- 24 Rusescu
- 01 Stanca,
- 06 Gardos,
- 08 Filip,
- 11 Prepelita,
- 80 Iancu,
- 20 Leandro,
- 99 Filho
- Chelsea 53%
- Steaua Buch't 47%
Attempts on target
- Chelsea 9
- Steaua Buch't 5
Attempts off target
- Chelsea 5
- Steaua Buch't 1
- Chelsea 7
- Steaua Buch't 5
- Chelsea 8
- Steaua Buch't 15
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+4:32 The referee brings the game to a close.
- 90:00+3:18 Mihai Pintilii challenges Nascimento Ramires unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick taken by Mikel.
- 90:00+2:18 Substitution Yossi Benayoun comes on in place of Eden Hazard.
- 90:00+1:53 Cesar Azpilicueta fouled by Raul Rusescu, the ref awards a free kick. Petr Cech restarts play with the free kick.
- 89:24 Substitution Juan Mata goes off and Victor Moses comes on.
- 89:13 Fernando Torres is flagged offside by the assistant referee. Ciprian Tatarusanu restarts play with the free kick.
- 88:43 Juan Mata decides to take the corner short.
- 88:00 Juan Mata takes a short corner.
- 85:45 Penalty missed by Fernando Torres.
- 85:45 Penalty awarded for a foul by Alexandru Bourceanu on Eden Hazard.
- 83:18 A cross is delivered by Cesar Azpilicueta, clearance made by Alexandru Chipciu.
- 82:50 Substitution Rocha Adi replaces Cornel Rapa.
- 82:07 Iasmin Latovlevici has a drilled shot. Comfortable save by Petr Cech.
- 81:58 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Lukas Szukala by Fernando Torres. Free kick taken by Mihai Pintilii.
- 79:43 Free kick taken by Adrian Popa.
- 79:43 Booking Ashley Cole receives a caution for unsporting behaviour.
- 79:42 Ashley Cole challenges Adrian Popa unfairly and gives away a free kick.
- 79:01 The referee blows for offside against Juan Mata. Free kick taken by Alexandru Bourceanu.
- 78:26 Effort from the edge of the box by Fernando Torres goes wide of the right-hand upright.
- 77:43 Substitution Cristian Tanase leaves the field to be replaced by Leandro Tatu.
- 77:27 Emboaba Oscar has an effort at goal from close range which goes wide right of the target.
- 77:13 Inswinging corner taken right-footed by Eden Hazard from the left by-line.
- 74:30 Alexandru Chipciu concedes a free kick for a foul on Mikel. Eden Hazard restarts play with the free kick.
- 72:11 The ball is sent over by Cesar Azpilicueta, save by Ciprian Tatarusanu.
- 70:45 Assist on the goal came from Eden Hazard.
- 70:45 GOAL - Fernando Torres:Chelsea 3 - 1 Steaua Bucharest Goal scored by Fernando Torres from inside the box to the bottom right corner of the goal. Chelsea 3 (3)-(2) 1 Steaua Bucuresti.
- 69:45 Unfair challenge on John Terry by Raul Rusescu results in a free kick. Free kick taken by Mikel.
- 69:11 Alexandru Bourceanu takes the free kick.
- 69:11 Booking The referee books Mikel for unsporting behaviour.
- 68:59 Mikel gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Adrian Popa.
- 67:46 Mikel delivers the ball, clearance made by Vlad Chiriches.
- 67:32 Fernando Torres crosses the ball.
- 63:11 Eden Hazard fouled by Mihai Pintilii, the ref awards a free kick. Direct strike on goal from the free kick comes in from David Luiz, save made by Ciprian Tatarusanu.
- 61:04 Mikel fouled by Mihai Pintilii, the ref awards a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Mikel.
- 60:45 Alexandru Chipciu takes a shot. Save by Petr Cech.
- 60:00 Eden Hazard takes a shot from 18 yards. Save by Ciprian Tatarusanu.
- 59:48 Inswinging corner taken by Juan Mata from the right by-line.
- Correction - 57:46 Assist on the goal came from Juan Mata.
- Correction - 57:46 GOAL - John Terry:Chelsea 2 - 1 Steaua Bucharest John Terry grabs a headed goal from close range. Chelsea 2 (2)-(2) 1 Steaua Bucuresti.
- 57:46 Juan Mata provided the assist for the goal.
- 57:46 GOAL - John Terry:Chelsea 2 - 1 Steaua Bucharest Goal scored by John Terry from inside the six-yard box to the bottom left corner of the goal. Chelsea 2 (2)-(2) 1 Steaua Bucuresti.
- 57:08 Juan Mata crosses the ball,
- 57:08 Booking Cornel Rapa shown a yellow card.
- 56:58 Eden Hazard fouled by Cornel Rapa, the ref awards a free kick.
- 55:19 Alexandru Bourceanu fouled by Nascimento Ramires, the ref awards a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Alexandru Bourceanu.
- 54:31 Cesar Azpilicueta crosses the ball, Vlad Chiriches manages to make a clearance.
- 48:43 Juan Mata takes the free kick.
- 48:43 Booking The referee books Alexandru Bourceanu for unsporting behaviour.
- 48:38 Unfair challenge on Juan Mata by Alexandru Bourceanu results in a free kick.
- 45:40 Effort from 20 yards by Mikel. Vlad Chiriches gets a block in.
- 45:01 The game restarts for the second half.
- Half Time
- 45:00+1:06 The half-time whistle blows.
- 45:00 GOAL - Vlad Chiriches:Chelsea 1 - 1 Steaua Bucharest Vlad Chiriches finds the back of the net with a goal from inside the six-yard box high into the middle of the goal. Chelsea 1 (1)-(2) 1 Steaua Bucuresti.
- 44:46 Outswinging corner taken right-footed by Alexandru Bourceanu,
- 44:26 Corner taken by Alexandru Bourceanu from the right by-line to the near post, clearance by Ashley Cole.
- 43:47 Outswinging corner taken by Alexandru Bourceanu, John Terry manages to make a clearance.
- 42:34 Cristian Tanase gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Emboaba Oscar. Free kick taken by Mikel.
- 40:15 Free kick awarded for a foul by Alexandru Bourceanu on Mikel. Free kick taken by David Luiz.
- 39:24 Eden Hazard takes a shot. Ciprian Tatarusanu makes a save. Mikel concedes a free kick for a foul on Cornel Rapa. Ciprian Tatarusanu takes the free kick.
- 37:12 Foul by John Terry on Raul Rusescu, free kick awarded. Alexandru Bourceanu takes the free kick.
- 36:36 Fernando Torres has an effort at goal from the edge of the box that misses to the right of the target.
- 36:06 Inswinging corner taken left-footed by Juan Mata, Vlad Chiriches manages to make a clearance.
- 34:39 Corner taken by Emboaba Oscar, David Luiz takes a shot. Save by Ciprian Tatarusanu.
- 32:55 Nascimento Ramires provided the assist for the goal.
- 32:55 GOAL - Juan Mata:Chelsea 1 - 0 Steaua Bucharest Goal scored by Juan Mata from close range to the bottom right corner of the goal. Chelsea 1 (1)-(1) 0 Steaua Bucuresti.
- 31:54 The ball is swung over by Iasmin Latovlevici, Petr Cech makes a save.
- 26:49 Juan Mata gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Vlad Chiriches. Direct free kick taken by Ciprian Tatarusanu.
- 24:14 Iasmin Latovlevici challenges Cesar Azpilicueta unfairly and gives away a free kick. John Terry takes the free kick.
- 23:43 Cornel Rapa sends in a cross.
- 22:14 Mikel takes a shot. Ciprian Tatarusanu makes a save. Short corner taken by Juan Mata from the right by-line. Mikel takes a shot from just outside the penalty area clears the crossbar.
- 22:02 The ball is swung over by Juan Mata, Cornel Rapa manages to make a clearance.
- 19:58 Cristian Tanase takes a shot. Save by Petr Cech.
- 19:37 Corner taken by Iasmin Latovlevici from the left by-line played to the near post, David Luiz makes a clearance.
- 17:18 The ball is delivered by Adrian Popa.
- 15:45 Shot from long range by Alexandru Bourceanu misses to the right of the goal.
- 15:04 Iasmin Latovlevici challenges Juan Mata unfairly and gives away a free kick. Juan Mata has an effort direct from the free kick, comfortable save by Ciprian Tatarusanu.
- 14:05 Lukas Szukala challenges Fernando Torres unfairly and gives away a free kick. David Luiz takes the free kick.
- 13:31 The ball is sent over by Iasmin Latovlevici, save by Petr Cech.
- 12:33 Alexandru Bourceanu takes the outswinging corner, John Terry manages to make a clearance.
- 11:58 Raul Rusescu takes a shot. Save made by Petr Cech.
- 10:28 A cross is delivered by Emboaba Oscar, Lukas Szukala manages to make a clearance.
- 7:53 Nascimento Ramires gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Adrian Popa. Alexandru Bourceanu restarts play with the free kick.
- 4:45 The ball is sent over by Juan Mata.
- 2:41 The ball is swung over by Juan Mata.
- 0:15 Cesar Azpilicueta fouled by Cristian Tanase, the ref awards a free kick. Direct free kick taken by John Terry.
- 0:00 The match has kicked off.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.