Crystal Palace 0 - 4 Birmingham
Birmingham City caused a shock with a four-goal win over promotion-chasing Crystal Palace to hand the London side their first home defeat since August.
Nathan Redmond opened the scoring with a low strike before a Damien Delaney headed own goal doubled their lead.
Ravel Morrison put Lee Clark's side further ahead after the break with a good finish from the edge of the area.
Shane Ferguson's free-kick sealed the rout that leaves Palace three points off the Championship automatic places.
Ian Holloway's Eagles, without the suspended Wilfried Zaha, came into this game defending an 18-game undefeated home league record and looking to close the gap on second-placed Hull City.
Blues end Selhurst struggle
Birmingham's only goal in their last five trips to Selhurst Park before this game was from Cameron Jerome in February 2007, and it proved sufficient for all three points
But it was Lee Clark's Birmingham, who have now lost just two from their last 13 in the Championship, who were in front in the 24th minute thanks to a superb goal from Redmond.
The midfielder collected the ball just outside the area before drifting by two defenders and angling a low shot past Julian Speroni in the Palace goal.
While Redmond's opener was delightful, there as a touch of luck about Blues' second eight minutes later as Delaney turned in Ferguson's corner as he tried to deny Nikola Zigic.
Palace came out of the second period much more lively and half-time substitute Stephen Dobbie forced Jack Butland into a superb save.
Dobbie then crossed for veteran Kevin Phillips, but the striker fired the ball wide from the back post.
Palace were left to rue those missed chances as Mitch Hancox crossed for Morrison in the 64th minute and the former Manchester United midfielder, on loan from West Ham, stuck his right boot out to put the ball into the bottom corner.
Former Queens Park Rangers and Charlton midfielder Bradley Allen: "Palace fans will not have been expecting this and they have been left devastated by this tonight. Birmingham's defence have been throwing themselves at everything."
Ferguson completed the surprise drubbing with 21 minutes remaining when the on loan Newcastle defender curled a free-kick into the top corner with his left foot.
Birmingham manager Lee Clark: "When you come to a place like this you expect it to be tough and a close match.
"It was but not in my wildest dreams did I expect the margin of victory to be that big and, in all honesty, it was fully deserved as well. It wasn't a fluke.
"We had 11 fantastic performances today. You can't come to a place like this and carry any passengers.
"We are just looking at the clubs directly above us to try and peg them back.
"We are also not being arrogant or ignorant and thinking we are out of what is going on behind us as well."
Crystal Palace manager Ian Holloway: "No one was expecting that, I certainly wasn't.
"Unfortunately I have got to deal with it right now. I think we started the game brightly, got behind them a couple of times.
"We didn't pick out the right ball, didn't get people on the end of it and then their goal seemed to affect everybody out there, which is completely unusual.
"Then they got a second one from a set piece and I was expecting a response like we did away at Watford.
"I can't remember my team missing as many balls flying across the box or making as many wrong decisions as they did out there and they've gone and scored four. That is the last thing we need but we've got to get on with it.
"We have to bounce back and deal with things better. It is simple as that."
Live text and stats
Friday, 29 March 2013
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 01 Speroni
- 21 Moxey
- 27 Delaney
- 33 Gabbidon
- 03 Richards (Dobbie 46)
- 07 Bolasie yellow card
- 08 Dikgacoi
- 15 Jedinak
- 20 Williams (Moritz 70)
- 09 K Phillips (Wilbraham 70)
- 17 Murray
- 34 Price,
- 02 Ward,
- 28 Ramage,
- 04 Parr,
- 30 Moritz,
- 11 Dobbie,
- 18 Wilbraham
- 01 Butland
- 06 Davies
- 27 Hancox yellow card
- 28 Caddis
- 30 Robinson
- 32 Ferguson (Ambrose 87)
- 12 Morrison yellow card (Reilly 84)
- 15 Elliott yellow card
- 18 Fahey (Mullins 67)
- 22 Redmond
- 19 Zigic
- 13 Doyle,
- 04 Caldwell,
- 08 Mullins,
- 10 Ambrose,
- 33 Reilly,
- 11 Lovenkrands,
- 20 Thomas
- Crystal Palace 50%
- Birmingham 50%
Attempts on target
- Crystal Palace 3
- Birmingham 6
Attempts off target
- Crystal Palace 10
- Birmingham 3
- Crystal Palace 7
- Birmingham 1
- Crystal Palace 8
- Birmingham 16
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+3:07 The referee brings the game to a close.
- 90:00+0:21 Darren Ambrose takes a shot. Julian Speroni makes a save.
- 89:14 Nathan Redmond produces a right-footed shot from the edge of the area and misses to the left of the goal.
- 88:38 The ball is delivered by Nathan Redmond.
- 86:57 Substitution Darren Ambrose is brought on as a substitute for Shane Ferguson.
- 86:39 Andre Moritz has an effort at goal from close range which goes wide right of the target.
- 84:43 Unfair challenge on Andre Moritz by Shane Ferguson results in a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Mile Jedinak.
- 83:22 Substitution Callum Reilly on for Ravel Morrison.
- 82:36 Nathan Redmond sends in a cross.
- 82:05 Ravel Morrison takes a shot. Save made by Julian Speroni.
- 81:29 Stephen Dobbie has a drilled shot. Save made by Jack Butland.
- 79:35 The ball is swung over by Yannick Bolasie, Shane Ferguson gets a block in.
- 79:14 The ball is sent over by Yannick Bolasie.
- 77:18 Wade Elliott is penalised for handball and concedes a free kick. Strike comes in from Stephen Dobbie from the free kick.
- 76:54 Nathan Redmond crosses the ball, save by Julian Speroni.
- 75:16 Centre by Andre Moritz, Effort from deep inside the area by Damien Delaney clears the bar.
- 75:16 Booking The referee shows Mitch Hancox a yellow card.
- 75:02 Mitch Hancox challenges Yannick Bolasie unfairly and gives away a free kick.
- 72:45 Andre Moritz produces a left-footed shot from deep inside the area which goes wide of the left-hand post.
- 70:57 Inswinging corner taken by Stephen Dobbie from the left by-line.
- 70:13 Paul Robinson gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Stephen Dobbie. Andre Moritz produces a strike on goal direct from the free kick, save by Jack Butland.
- 69:42 Substitution Aaron Wilbraham comes on in place of Kevin Phillips.
- 69:42 Substitution Andre Moritz replaces Jonathan Williams.
- 68:42 Assist by Ravel Morrison.
- 68:42 GOAL - Shane Ferguson:Crystal Palace 0 - 4 Birmingham Shane Ferguson finds the net with a fantastic goal direct from the free kick from outside the penalty box to the top right corner of the goal. Crystal Palace 0-4 Birmingham.
- 67:32 Mile Jedinak gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Ravel Morrison.
- 66:53 Substitution Keith Fahey leaves the field to be replaced by Hayden Mullins.
- 65:14 Stephen Dobbie has an effort at goal from 35 yards and went wide left of the target.
- 63:17 The assist for the goal came from Mitch Hancox.
- 63:17 GOAL - Ravel Morrison:Crystal Palace 0 - 3 Birmingham Ravel Morrison scores a goal from the edge of the penalty box to the bottom right corner of the goal. Crystal Palace 0-3 Birmingham.
- 63:09 The ball is swung over by Mitch Hancox,
- 59:42 The assistant referee signals for offside against Kevin Phillips. Jack Butland restarts play with the free kick.
- 59:22 The ball is delivered by Damien Delaney. Nathan Redmond is ruled offside. Free kick taken by Mile Jedinak.
- 57:09 The referee blows for offside against Ravel Morrison. Julian Speroni takes the free kick.
- 56:07 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Keith Fahey by Jonathan Williams. Wade Elliott restarts play with the free kick.
- 54:18 The referee blows for offside against Kevin Phillips. Free kick taken by Jack Butland.
- 53:05 Effort from inside the six-yard box by Kevin Phillips goes wide right of the target.
- 51:48 Stephen Dobbie takes a shot. Save by Jack Butland. Stephen Dobbie takes the outswinging corner, Header from deep inside the area by Mile Jedinak goes harmlessly over the crossbar.
- 50:30 Free kick crossed right-footed by Stephen Dobbie, save by Jack Butland.
- 50:30 Booking Ravel Morrison is cautioned by the ref for unsporting behaviour.
- 50:25 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Jonathan Williams by Ravel Morrison.
- 49:55 Stephen Dobbie takes a short corner.
- Correction - 49:44 Clearance by Curtis Davies. Corner taken by Yannick Bolasie,
- 49:23 Yannick Bolasie sends in a cross, clearance by Curtis Davies.
- 46:12 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Glenn Murray by Paul Robinson. Free kick crossed right-footed by Stephen Dobbie.
- 45:01 The referee blows his whistle to start the second half.
- 45:01 Substitution Stephen Dobbie replaces Ashley Richards.
- Half Time
- 45:00+1:31 The first half comes to an end.
- 44:46 Mile Jedinak crosses the ball in from the free kick.
- 44:46 Booking Wade Elliott goes into the referee's book.
- 44:37 Foul by Wade Elliott on Jonathan Williams, free kick awarded.
- 42:47 Nikola Zigic fouled by Kagisho Dikgacoi, the ref awards a free kick. Wade Elliott takes the direct free kick.
- 41:32 Inswinging corner taken right-footed by Yannick Bolasie from the left by-line.
- 39:56 Shane Ferguson is ruled offside. Daniel Gabbidon restarts play with the free kick.
- 39:15 Glenn Murray challenges Paul Robinson unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick taken by Jack Butland.
- 38:35 Yannick Bolasie delivers the ball, Nikola Zigic makes a clearance.
- 38:01 Yannick Bolasie takes a outswinging corner from the right by-line played to the near post, clearance by Wade Elliott.
- 36:31 Jack Butland restarts play with the free kick.
- 36:31 Booking Yannick Bolasie receives a caution.
- 36:26 Paul Caddis fouled by Yannick Bolasie, the ref awards a free kick.
- 35:08 Ravel Morrison concedes a free kick for a foul on Mile Jedinak. Mile Jedinak restarts play with the free kick.
- 31:57 The assist for the goal came from Shane Ferguson.
- 31:57 GOAL - Damien Delaney:Crystal Palace 0 - 2 Birmingham Damien Delaney heads into his own net. Crystal Palace 0-2 Birmingham.
- 31:46 Inswinging corner taken by Shane Ferguson from the right by-line,
- 31:24 The ball is crossed by Nathan Redmond, Ravel Morrison takes a shot. Save made by Julian Speroni.
- 30:40 The ball is sent over by Paul Caddis, clearance by Damien Delaney.
- 29:53 Shot from deep inside the area by Shane Ferguson goes over the bar.
- 29:00 Mile Jedinak concedes a free kick for a foul on Nikola Zigic. Paul Caddis takes the free kick.
- 28:38 Nikola Zigic is ruled offside. Julian Speroni takes the free kick.
- 27:59 Kagisho Dikgacoi challenges Wade Elliott unfairly and gives away a free kick. Jack Butland takes the free kick.
- 26:32 Wade Elliott challenges Kagisho Dikgacoi unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick crossed right-footed by Yannick Bolasie, clearance by Curtis Davies.
- 24:22 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Mile Jedinak by Nikola Zigic. Damien Delaney takes the direct free kick.
- 23:06 Wade Elliott provided the assist for the goal.
- 23:06 GOAL - Nathan Redmond:Crystal Palace 0 - 1 Birmingham Nathan Redmond finds the back of the net with a goal from just inside the area to the bottom right corner of the goal. Crystal Palace 0-1 Birmingham.
- 22:17 Yannick Bolasie gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Mitch Hancox. The free kick is swung in right-footed by Wade Elliott, clearance by Kagisho Dikgacoi.
- 21:56 The ball is delivered by Paul Caddis, clearance made by Daniel Gabbidon.
- 19:03 Damien Delaney crosses the ball, Header from close range by Glenn Murray clears the bar.
- Correction - 18:15 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Jonathan Williams by Ravel Morrison. Mile Jedinak restarts play with the free kick.
- 18:15 Wade Elliott gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Jonathan Williams. Mile Jedinak takes the free kick.
- 17:38 Glenn Murray produces a right-footed shot from outside the penalty area and misses left.
- 14:19 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Mile Jedinak by Ravel Morrison. Free kick taken by Mile Jedinak.
- 11:29 Foul by Paul Robinson on Glenn Murray, free kick awarded. Ashley Richards restarts play with the free kick.
- 9:16 Effort on goal by Nathan Redmond from just outside the area goes harmlessly over the target.
- 7:51 Paul Caddis concedes a free kick for a foul on Jonathan Williams. Damien Delaney takes the direct free kick.
- 7:12 Shot from just outside the area by Kagisho Dikgacoi misses to the left of the target.
- 6:10 Free kick awarded for a foul by Ravel Morrison on Glenn Murray. Direct free kick taken by Mile Jedinak.
- 4:43 Paul Robinson challenges Kevin Phillips unfairly and gives away a free kick. Mile Jedinak takes the direct free kick.
- 1:31 Yannick Bolasie delivers the ball, Paul Robinson makes a clearance.
- 1:18 Centre by Yannick Bolasie, clearance by Paul Robinson. Outswinging corner taken by Yannick Bolasie, clearance by Curtis Davies.
- 0:54 Centre by Paul Caddis, Foul by Nikola Zigic on Damien Delaney, free kick awarded. Julian Speroni restarts play with the free kick.
- 0:00 The referee gets the game underway.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.